Would you work at WDW for ...... FREE?

eliza61nyc

There is one slight problem with this - - - -when you were in your 20's minimum wage was actually pretty good. Working full time min wage, I bet you could have afforded a car and a decent place to live.
Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation over the last 25 years, all most of North America. Especially where big corporations are concerned. Do some digging, some places are better/worse than others, but its all the same. People are not getting paid enough.
So the theory that people should expect low pay is even lower, adjusted for inflation, than min wage 20-30 years ago, does not really add up.
It really is sad. Many people in our society have been taken for a huge ride and exploited simply because they have no voice; "you have no education, what did you expect?", "you are flipping burgers or cashing people out, what do you want?"
Perhaps they deserve more in life? A decent place to live and get around.
Not everyone can afford post secondary education.
People at WDW who pick up and collect garbage all day / clean get paid.

I would be happy to pay more at WDW if it meant that ALL of their employees had a better life. Everyone seems fine paying more to line the pockets of wildly wealthy people. Greed that is the biggest downfall of the DIS corp over the last 20 years!!!

What people"deserve" can be debated and vary largely. Now I think everyone deserves the opportunity to get the life style they want. I disagree on what is a corporations responsibility. Sorry I think people do have some say and responsibility. At 20 one HAS to know that no you are not getting a 300k house and a new car. Blaming McDonald's or Disney is silly IMO.

And no
I don't pay more to line the pockets of wealthy individuals, I pay more for a product that is being delivered to me. If I pay a couple of grand for the latest iPhone, I am pay because I think the phone is worth the money. Now if the dude at the Apple store is not making enough money to live on, he/she has the responsibility to do something about it. Not me, not Apple.

Yes I'm glad that the CMS are getting wage increase but let me ask what's going to happen in say 7 years when the cost of living has increased. The problem isn't the dollar amount, the problem is they are in the lowest paid position. It's designed to be that.

And no, when I was a 20 something no way in NYC could you have afforded an apartment and a car on min wages. I lived with 3 other girls in a 1 bedroom walkup and had 2 jobs

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Without that so called, "burger flipper" - - - McDonalds would be making zero dollars.
Why demean someone's job..........
Why does the so called, "football catcher or thrower" earn XX million dollars?

Corporations need these front line workers - - without them they would be nothing, virtually nothing overnight.
Why we choose to look down on them is the reason why they get paid so poorly........ Corporations know they have little society support or vice.

This attitude of " I started at the bottom so should everyone else", the world is a very different place than it was 20-30-40 , even 10 years ago.
I'm not deaming anyone's job. The entry level job is an important element and serves a great function especially for our youth. It's called entry level because it's meant to be the entry into the working world. It was meant to teach job advancing skills.

I am rejecting this premise that entry level jobs are meant to support a family, buy houses and fund a lifestyle.

I've never looked down on a soul and definitely don't looked down on the service industry workers, they can make or break a vacation

Last edited:

NickMaio

Original Poster
I'm not deaming anyone's job. The entry level job is an important element and serves a great function especially for our youth.

I am rejecting this premise that entry level jobs are meant to support a family and s house.

I've never looked down on a soul and definitely don't looked down on the service industry workers, they can make or break a vacation
By calling someone a "burger flipper", it is a roundabout way of demeaning their job.
Would you refer to a McDonald's employee as a burger flipper to their face? - - Most people would not because it demeans their job by calling them what they do, as opposed to a McDonald's employee.

eliza61nyc

By calling someone a "burger flipper", it is a roundabout way of demeaning their job.
Would you refer to a McDonald's employee as a burger flipper to their face? - - Most people would not because it demeans their job by calling them what they do, as opposed to a McDonald's employee.
Ok then I apologise, I did not realize that was a demeaning terms. Lol yes all the kids I know who work at McDonald's called themselves burger flippers
I know 2 young girls who were housekeeper at the world, the said they were maids. I guess that's demeaning also

Lol I worked at Mickey D's. One of my first jobs I flipped burgers but that was pre PC age.

So again I did not realize that, that is now offensive. I'll keep it polite.

An entry level McDonald's employee is never going to make a house buying wage

NickMaio

Original Poster
I'm not deaming anyone's job. The entry level job is an important element and serves a great function especially for our youth. It's called entry level because it's meant to be the entry into the working world. It was meant to teach job advancing skills.

I am rejecting this premise that entry level jobs are meant to support a family, buy houses and fund a lifestyle.

I will agree to disagree with you on this one.

I know many people in my community that I live in who are Walmart cashiers and Greeters - Their spouses work similar Minimum wage jobs and they have mortgages on their apartments or homes.
I am not talking huge homes - - - but homes nonetheless.

The idea that one should not expect this is pure capitalism and greed gone mad.

And yes - -corporations should have a responsibility to their employees to make sure that they are adequately supported.

NickMaio

Original Poster
Ok then I apologise, I did not realize that was a demeaning terms. Lol yes all the kids I know who work at McDonald's called themselves burger flippers
I know 2 young girls who were housekeeper at the world, the said they were maids. I guess that's demeaning also
No need for an apology - - - I thought you did not mean to use it in a demeaning way.
It is part of our vernacular after all. But it does illustrate a point. That certain jobs pay less because society assumes they should be paid less.

Take some time and Goggle european wages and lifestyles - - - Very different from North America views and wages.

NickMaio

Original Poster

Lol I worked at Mickey D's. One of my first jobs I flipped burgers but that was pre PC age.

So again I did not realize that, that is now offensive. I'll keep it polite.

An entry level McDonald's employee is never going to make a house buying wage
As a side note - - - I was not picking on you specifically.
I meant my posts to be more of a society generalization - - - - I apologize if I came across personal or attacking. This was not my intention.
4 years of university sociology can make one opinionated. - Sorry.

The Empress Lilly

I applied.
Didn't make it past the first round which kinda annoys me because if you look at the Mom's Panel their answers are crappy.
Its laced with outdated or plain wrong information.
It is unpaid but you only have to answer 20 questions per week.
Also you got all expense paid "training" where you go to WDW for a couple days, stay deluxe, get swag, get behind the scenes looks...
Then you also get an all expense paid vacation for 4 at some point during the year.
You'd make a great Mom's Panel member.

eliza61nyc

As a side note - - - I was not picking on you specifically.
I meant my posts to be more of a society generalization - - - - I apologize if I came across personal or attacking. This was not my intention.
4 years of university sociology can make one opinionated. - Sorry.
No worries 👍. This might make an interesting discussion on the chit chat thread. Income inequality is going to be one of those hard societal issues for a long time

bryanfze55

In 1940, the median home value in the U.S. was $2,938. By 2000, it had risen to $119,600 Even adjusted for inflation, the median home price in 1940 would only have been $30,600 in 2000 dollars.
Students at public four-year institutions, with prices adjusted to reflect 2017 dollars, paid an average of $3,190 in tuition for the 1987-1988 school year. Thirty years later, that average has risen to $9,970 for the 2017-2018 school year. That’s a 213 percent increase.

$4.03-average hourly wage recorded in January 1973 had the same purchasing power that $23.68 would today. Between 1989 and 2019, average wages for young college grads grew a total of only 14% — that's an increase of less than half a percent per year.
One long-term factor is slow U.S. wage growth dating back to the late 1970s. Most of the nation's income since then has gone toward things like corporate profits and investor dividends rather than employee pay.

So yeah, things are much different. Most young people just want to survive, not live in luxury. Just because your kid didn't understand doesn't entitle you to lump all young people into the same boat. And younger people see the BS that is workers getting less money and benefits while paying more for everything, as profits soar.

I graduated HS in the 80's, and I can guarantee you there were entitled, lazy people that wanted more than they were worth then too, and not all worked their butts off to get where they are today. A lot of people simply succeed by sticking around long enough. And many young people today are good kids who work hard without being entitled. Stop drawing lines and lumping whole groups on the other side of it. Your whole post just sounds like an angry old man yelling at the sky about how great his generation is and the younin's are terrible.

I know many people in my community that I live in who are Walmart cashiers and Greeters - Their spouses work similar Minimum wage jobs and they have mortgages on their apartments or homes.

And yes - -corporations should have a responsibility to their employees to make sure that they are adequately supported.

While I agree that basic shelter should be publicly provided, where do the lifestyle expectations begin and end? If people stake homeownership as a “right,” what else becomes a right all of a sudden?

In my case, in order to afford a reasonable house (certainly nothing great - 1460 square feet) in a good school district, I have to drive 30 miles to work in a car with 200K miles. And I have a college degree and good job and salary (for the Midwest, at least). Is it pure capitalism and greed that I have to do that? Of course not. It’s called trade offs. I could live much closer to work, but we would either need to rent or live in a poor school district. I could drive a newer car, but then I couldn’t travel to the extent I enjoy. I’ve worked hard to keep my fixed costs low in life so my family has flexibility. We’ve sacrificed a materialistic lifestyle to keep it that way. Nobody has a right to anything except to freely pursue the life they want to live.

Btw, I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure European wages are lower than American wages, on average. Minimum wage might be higher, but the median salary is lower in most European countries. I think some Scandinavian countries might be the exception.

Lilofan

My sister in law is a teacher, and her husband is a well-paid engineer. They still couldn’t afford California when they tried moving there a few years ago. I can’t imagine how people do it on $15 an hour... multiple roommates? Rent control?
I read somewhere that some DLR CMs live east in the Cali desert. They drive 30 min to a train station then take a 1 train ride to Anaheim every day.

NickMaio

Original Poster
While I agree that basic shelter should be publicly provided, where do the lifestyle expectations begin and end? If people stake homeownership as a “right,” what else becomes a right all of a sudden?

In my case, in order to afford a reasonable house (certainly nothing great - 1460 square feet) in a good school district, I have to drive 30 miles to work in a car with 200K miles. And I have a college degree and good job and salary (for the Midwest, at least). Is it pure capitalism and greed that I have to do that? Of course not. It’s called trade offs. I could live much closer to work, but we would either need to rent or live in a poor school district. I could drive a newer car, but then I couldn’t travel to the extent I enjoy. I’ve worked hard to keep my fixed costs low in life so my family has flexibility. We’ve sacrificed a materialistic lifestyle to keep it that way. Nobody has a right to anything except to freely pursue the life they want to live.

Btw, I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure European wages are lower than American wages, on average. Minimum wage might be higher, but the median salary is lower in most European countries. I think some Scandinavian countries might be the exception.

Take a little look.........

Why should homeownership not be a "right" - - - - - why is this considered blasphemous?

bryanfze55

Why should homeownership not be a "right" - - - - - why is this considered blasphemous?

Well, raising the minimum wage is a separate issue from the right to homeownership. Even at $15/hour, a lot of people won’t be able to afford to purchase property. I don’t think the right to shelter or healthcare, for that matter, is blasphemous, because you could argue both are needed as an extension of “the right to life.”

But the right to own your own property is obscene. I want to own the same size house I own now but within five miles of my job. Why can’t I have the right to that??

eliza61nyc

I don't think it's blasphemous but I also think we need to define the "right". first it's so regional. I live in Northeast coast of the US, one of the most expensive areas to lay one's head. so what do we raise the salary up to in order for everyone to own their own spot? more importantly how do we pay for it?

I don't think it's as easy as "let's raise the hourly rate to XYZ". 15 bucks/hour in Philly is what 2400 bucks a month BEFORE taxes. maybe 2K after. average cost of a house ~180K. that still maybe a stretch. lol and I swear buying it is just the beginning of the hits to the wallet. there is a reason why people call houses money pits.

For me it's not an either/or situation. I do agree the minimum wage needs raising, it hasn't had one in a very long time but again I also think a bit of personal responsibility has to kick in. I do think if you work at Wendy's and you want certain things or a certain lifestyle you do have to look and say "if I want this lifestyle, I cannot do it on this salary so I have to make a move"

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That is not pay. It is compensation. A 5 day stay will not pay for Bill's or a child's education.

Five hours a week is not a full time job. An equitable amount of time at any other job wouldn't pay for those things.

You need to compare a second part-time job (or a full-time homemaker's part-time job) with other part-time jobs.

MickeyLuv'r

How many forum members answer WDW questions on these boards (and other WDW forums) if a stranger asks a question?

I suspect most WDW Moms' Panel members were already WDW forum members who already felt like they were giving free WDW advice, so why not make it slightly more official and get a little something back in return.

PrincessNelly_NJ

It looks like 10,000 people would ..........

Wow - - - I have heard about the panels, but I did not know they were unpaid.
The receive a free WDW vacation for their time. Plus, them answering questions on the panel isn't that much different than what most of us on these boards do on a daily basis.

Goofyernmost

I don't think it's blasphemous but I also think we need to define the "right". first it's so regional. I live in Northeast coast of the US, one of the most expensive areas to lay one's head. so what do we raise the salary up to in order for everyone to own their own spot? more importantly how do we pay for it?

I don't think it's as easy as "let's raise the hourly rate to XYZ". 15 bucks/hour in Philly is what 2400 bucks a month BEFORE taxes. maybe 2K after. average cost of a house ~180K. that still maybe a stretch. lol and I swear buying it is just the beginning of the hits to the wallet. there is a reason why people call houses money pits.

For me it's not an either/or situation. I do agree the minimum wage needs raising, it hasn't had one in a very long time but again I also think a bit of personal responsibility has to kick in. I do think if you work at Wendy's and you want certain things or a certain lifestyle you do have to look and say "if I want this lifestyle, I cannot do it on this salary so I have to make a move"
There is another option, like in the start of the nation. Build your own. That's what homesteaders did. They didn't get quotes for a bunch of contractors, or call a realtor. They built it from scratch. They cleared the land and used the cut trees to build their houses. They hand made building materials with their bare hands. They hauled stones to build a foundations.

However, today's society would never dream of getting their hands that dirty to provide their own shelter. They want a job like a CM at Disney where, sure they might have to deal with rude people, but do not have blisters on their hands which is a good thing because they have to use them to point out where the restrooms are or what line to get in at an attraction. They also have to be able to count, sometimes up to 5 or 6 to put those people in the right place to board. So sure, they should be paid for that limited skill that just about anybody can do and reap the same benefits as someone that actually did a skilled service that contributed more to the profit then they did. That is not belittling people doing that service it is just putting it into perspective. It is important, but there are others much more important. When they have gained that degree of skill then the money will be larger and the housing situation will become easier to get.

The argument for pay equity is not about that. It is about men making 25% or more then women for the same job. It also is the ridicules gap between the top guy and the common folk. It's one thing if the person is the one that started that business and through endless work built the company from nothing. It is completely different for someone hired in that is now taking the reins of a successful venture and getting paid like he/she were the ones that took the risks and spent the sleepless night building it.

The problem with Minimum wage is that it is still the lowest income there is. It's the minimum. It doesn't take into account the cost of a house, or a Lexus or anything other then a starting salary for someone that is not skilled, can be replaced by anyone with no experience and although contributing to the operation of a business are not contributing beyond the minimum requirement. The most counter productive words ever spoken by a minimum wage employee is... "I'll work more when I get more money". Tough talk from someone that has no power. If on the other hand they adapt the attitude that if I give extra I should be able to expect a larger return for my efforts. The people making the decision about how much to pay someone judges by what is being done to deserve that extra money. It is basic. If one has put in the extra effort with no results, then it is time to move on to a place where that is possible, however, normally that extra will be recognized and ones value as an employee is seen as more important to the operation.

NickMaio

Original Poster
- The people making the decision about how much to pay someone judges by what is being done to deserve that extra money. It is basic. -

Not really - - - there are so many variables here, it is not that simple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom