Would you work at WDW for ...... FREE?

Lilofan

NickMaio

Original Poster
Yes these are nice perks... but still no salary.
I am related to someone who's sole job is to read Disney online forum groups, just like this one.
No posting just reading responses. They have been doing this for years. They get full salary, benefits, free admission for them and a guest 1 day a week.
Yet, these people on the mom boards post 20 times a week and film promo videos all year and get a trip for 4 and some food.........?

Goofyernmost

...and that's why the situation will never improve.
Also why it doesn't need to improve. If people are OK with it, what business is it of ours. They aren't asking for compensation in the form of cash and in the case of the College program, a line item like being a CM at a Disney Park is quite valuable on a resume. As I said, compensation isn't always cash nor does it need to be as long as it is seen as a payback by the recipient, be they bloggers or college program people or anyone else for that matter. Something motivates them and it just may be something that money cannot buy, at least for them.

Hospitals, profitable ones, have volunteer programs for people with time on their hands and a desire to help others. That is their pay. People volunteer to be on a campaign staff for millionaire people running for office, because they believe in that person and that is their reward if they get elected. Hundreds of people volunteer at golf tournaments where the winner gets $1.5 mil. for four, 5 hour days walking around a golf course and beating everyone else by swinging a club fewer times then anyone else. A few years back, I heard of a company that did the transportation for the Masters Tournament in Augusta. I was willing to help out for free just so I could tick off a bucket list desire to see the course in person. I got lucky and they paid me quite well, but I would have been willing to pay my own way, hotel and all just for the chance. I even spent a summer volunteering to help raise money for "Make a Wish". I put in a lot of hours with no pay at all. I realize that is a non-profit, but it is still the same thing. What motivates people to do something without pay? For one thing they have to be able to survive without the income. The world just wouldn't function without volunteers, we just happen to be more aware of them when if comes to Disney because we are focused on them.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Does not mean it is right.......billion dollar company?
I don't know Nick, I mean we're talking about something totally voluntarily ( mom's panel and college program).
These people are signing up with full disclosure. No one is misrepresenting or lying to them
So what's not "right". They obviously feel they are getting benefits out if it.
From the article it seems many have very successful careers so money is evidently not an issue.

BoarderPhreak

Also why it doesn't need to improve. If people are OK with it, what business is it of ours...
Fair enough. But I suspect a lot of locals would love to work for The Mouse™ for a decent wage that can't, because there are thousands willing to work for peanuts instead.

One only has to ask the many CMs that live in their cars out in Cali.

zombiebbq

Did anyone read the comments? I always chuckle when NY Times does a story about Disney, because the commenters always hate on both the company and anyone who enjoys going to Disney World. read the comments if you haven't.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Re: the College program...ppl always say if you don’t like your job or your pay, then leave. That’s it’s voluntary for you to stay there. That’s total BS, as it’s not like there are great paying jobs for 20 yr olds around every corner to snatch up. It’s not like getting a new job is as easy as signing your name on a list.

And yea, ppl like to say that it’s their “personal choice” to make minimum wage or lower. Comical that ppl think that. No, it’s called when you need a job, a small amount of money is better than no money at all.

Lilofan

Does not mean it is right.......billion dollar company?
What's right or wrong, some may have different takes on it. Raise the pay however are you ready and willing to pay more for your WDW vacation since the prices will go up surely because of it? Their choice to work, our choice to visit.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Hopefully some NYC Moms need not apply. They were exposed in the media when they paid handicapped locals in Central Florida soliciting their services for $$ to accompany the Moms and their families around the WDW theme parks to have quicker access to the attraction rides. This opened up a whole can of worms several years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom