Would you work at WDW for ...... FREE?

eliza61nyc

Re: the College program...ppl always say if you don’t like your job or your pay, then leave. That’s it’s voluntary for you to stay there. That’s total BS, as it’s not like there are great paying jobs for 20 yr olds around every corner to snatch up. It’s not like getting a new job is as easy as signing your name on a list.

And yea, ppl like to say that it’s their “personal choice” to make minimum wage or lower. Comical that ppl think that. No, it’s called when you need a job, a small amount of money is better than no money at all.

here's the thing, now I totally admit maybe things have changed but see w hen I was a 20 year old in college, I did not expect to be making a ceo paycheck working in retail or customer service. The object for me to be in a "College" program was to get my degree and then be able to get the better job. I bussed tables, no one I worked with thought "hey I'm going to make a great living clearing tables". we thought, this will keep the heat on until I graduate and start applying for other jobs.

IMO that's the problem, Mcdonald workers expect 55K for flipping burgers and then get ed when you remind them it's a low paying job. I thought (and I could be wrong) that the college program at WDW was to get college credits and gain experience.

LOL, I went through this with my youngest who felt that he deserved to be able to afford an apartment on the waterfront in Philly while pumping gas. oh yeah wawa should pay him 25/hr to pump gas. :rolleyes:

So no I don't think it's BS, again it's been over 30 years since I got my degrees but I knew no one who got internships expecting to make wads of cash. If you are in the college program, do your internship, eat ramen noodles like countless other college kids, get your degree then get the better job.

to me it's comical that people working the cash register in a department store think they are going to make 35/hour and then complain that they can't make ends meet.

The difference is when I was in my 20's we understood the concept of "entry level" jobs.

Last edited:

NickMaio

Original Poster
I don't know Nick, I mean we're talking about something totally voluntarily ( mom's panel and college program).
These people are signing up with full disclosure. No one is misrepresenting or lying to them
So what's not "right". They obviously feel they are getting benefits out if it.
From the article it seems many have very successful careers so money is evidently not an issue.
It is voluntary......but my point is, should it be.
Should these people not get paid. Given the work they are doing on a weekly and yearly level?
Their sole purpose is to use their knowledge of WDW to bring people to WDW.
Sounds a lot like CM job to me.
Many of the "moms" panel people film promo videos for WDW. Go to the site, take a look. Not o e person paid by WDW to use their likeness.

eliza61nyc

It is voluntary......but my point is, should it be.
Should these people not get paid. Given the work they are doing on a weekly and yearly level?
Their sole purpose is to use their knowledge of WDW to bring people to WDW.
Sounds a lot like CM job to me.
Many of the "moms" panel people film promo videos for WDW. Go to the site, take a look. Not o e person paid by WDW to use their likeness.

hmmm, now that's a good question. it might be how you look at the thing. I'm thinking most of the applicants are serious uber fans who probably give trip advice for free anyway. they might not be looking at it as an mean to be bringing folks to wdw. they may just be seeing it as helping folks get the most out of their trips. Not much different than what we do here on the planning board.

NickMaio

Original Poster
hmmm, now that's a good question. it might be how you look at the thing. I'm thinking most of the applicants are serious uber fans who probably give trip advice for free anyway. they might not be looking at it as an mean to be bringing folks to wdw. they may just be seeing it as helping folks get the most out of their trips. Not much different than what we do here on the planning board.
Except we don't film promotional videos that are written and produced by WDW. We are also not influenced by WDW.
My issue is that once WDW takes the reigns creates and controls the forum that it should be a paid WDW job.
I get that all these people love the chance to do this, but I feel that they should be paid for it.
Not all of them have high paying main jobs/careers.

NickMaio

Original Poster
here's the thing, now I totally admit maybe things have changed but see w hen I was a 20 year old in college, I did not expect to be making a ceo paycheck working in retail or customer service. The object for me to be in a "College" program was to get my degree and then be able to get the better job. I bussed tables, no one I worked with thought "hey I'm going to make a great living clearing tables". we thought, this will keep the heat on until I graduate and start applying for other jobs.

IMO that's the problem, Mcdonald workers expect 55K for flipping burgers and then get ****ed when you remind them it's a low paying job. I thought (and I could be wrong) that the college program at WDW was to get college credits and gain experience.

LOL, I went through this with my youngest who felt that he deserved to be able to afford an apartment on the waterfront in Philly while pumping gas. oh yeah wawa should pay him 25/hr to pump gas. :rolleyes:

So no I don't think it's BS, again it's been over 30 years since I got my degrees but I knew no one who got internships expecting to make wads of cash. If you are in the college program, do your internship, eat ramen noodles like countless other college kids, get your degree then get the better job.

to me it's comical that people working the cash register in a department store think they are going to make 35/hour and then complain that they can't make ends meet.

The difference is when I was in my 20's we understood the concept of "entry level" jobs.
There is one slight problem with this - - - -when you were in your 20's minimum wage was actually pretty good. Working full time min wage, I bet you could have afforded a car and a decent place to live.
Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation over the last 25 years, all most of North America. Especially where big corporations are concerned. Do some digging, some places are better/worse than others, but its all the same. People are not getting paid enough.
So the theory that people should expect low pay is even lower, adjusted for inflation, than min wage 20-30 years ago, does not really add up.
It really is sad. Many people in our society have been taken for a huge ride and exploited simply because they have no voice; "you have no education, what did you expect?", "you are flipping burgers or cashing people out, what do you want?"
Perhaps they deserve more in life? A decent place to live and get around.
Not everyone can afford post secondary education.
People at WDW who pick up and collect garbage all day / clean get paid.

I would be happy to pay more at WDW if it meant that ALL of their employees had a better life. Everyone seems fine paying more to line the pockets of wildly wealthy people. Greed that is the biggest downfall of the DIS corp over the last 20 years!!!

Goofyernmost

Fair enough. But I suspect a lot of locals would love to work for The Mouse™ for a decent wage that can't, because there are thousands willing to work for peanuts instead.

One only has to ask the many CMs that live in their cars out in Cali.
Then don't work for the Mouse. Again, no one is forced to do anything. They may take a job as a temporary way to hold off the repossessors but, nothing is chaining them to the place except perhaps decisions made when they were younger. Decisions like not trying to learn a skill or graduating from high school even. There is a whole country out there and having been young once, I can also envision a whole lot of partying going on and that costs money that might be used to get away from the high cost of Cali. and go someplace for a less commercial job and making enough money to leave the car parked and go into a solid building with rooms and everything. The I drink because I'm poor and depressed is a never ending path to a never ending path.

The media today seems to put a strong emphasis on huge success early on. Case in point, all the ads on TV depict young, young people barely out of High School with what seems to be unlimited income, new expensive cars. Have you seen the one where this very young person appears to have a job delivering flowers. A high paying job I'm sure! And she states that she spends a lot of time in her SUV and she needs a Jaguar SUV, so she can be comfortable. The right now generation that expects that high paying job to just be ready to knock on their door and offer them a CEO position before the ink dries on the diploma. Life is full of hard knocks and if you take everyone that either lucked into or were helped into a good paying job by parents, etc. one will find that they are a very small part of the general public. Even the more educated ones are quite often underemployed. If one waits for the good life to come to them and isn't aggressive about making it happen they are going to be living in that car for a long, long time.

Goofyernmost

If anything I think Disneyland and WDW should have a different minimum wage. $15/hour is very different in Orange County than it is in Orlando.
As is the cost of living. It's probably worse in Cali. then Florida as far as ratio of income to expense is concerned.

bryanfze55

As is the cost of living. It's probably worse in Cali. then Florida as far as ratio of income to expense is concerned.

My sister in law is a teacher, and her husband is a well-paid engineer. They still couldn’t afford California when they tried moving there a few years ago. I can’t imagine how people do it on $15 an hour... multiple roommates? Rent control?

NickMaio

Original Poster
Then don't work for the Mouse. Again, no one is forced to do anything. They may take a job as a temporary way to hold off the repossessors but, nothing is chaining them to the place except perhaps decisions made when they were younger. Decisions like not trying to learn a skill or graduating from high school even. There is a whole country out there and having been young once, I can also envision a whole lot of partying going on and that costs money that might be used to get away from the high cost of Cali. and go someplace for a less commercial job and making enough money to leave the car parked and go into a solid building with rooms and everything. The I drink because I'm poor and depressed is a never ending path to a never ending path.

The media today seems to put a strong emphasis on huge success early on. Case in point, all the ads on TV depict young, young people barely out of High School with what seems to be unlimited income, new expensive cars. Have you seen the one where this very young person appears to have a job delivering flowers. A high paying job I'm sure! And she states that she spends a lot of time in her SUV and she needs a Jaguar SUV, so she can be comfortable. The right now generation that expects that high paying job to just be ready to knock on their door and offer them a CEO position before the ink dries on the diploma. Life is full of hard knocks and if you take everyone that either lucked into or were helped into a good paying job by parents, etc. one will find that they are a very small part of the general public. Even the more educated ones are quite often underemployed. If one waits for the good life to come to them and isn't aggressive about making it happen they are going to be living in that car for a long, long time.
Honestly - - I think CM's in california are living in cars because the cost of living is one of the highest in your country. Not really because of drinking or partying, some might be sure.
There are families who live in hotels in both Cali and Orlando and they are employed by one of the most successful, powerful and wealthy corporations on the planet?
God forbid people have a place they can eventually own.
The media is depicting people spending money because they want them to spend money.

People in America and Canada need to be making more - - plain and simple.
Just look at your national average stats - - - min wage has not changed since 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NickMaio

Original Poster
My sister in law is a teacher, and her husband is a well-paid engineer. They still couldn’t afford California when they tried moving there a few years ago. I can’t imagine how people do it on $15 an hour... multiple roommates? Rent control?
They can't.........................even $15/hr is too low there.
Corporate greed - - - - enough is never enough.
Record setting profit years followed by price hikes - layoffs - worker hour reductions.......................All in the happiest place on Earth........for the shareholders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bryanfze55

Honestly - - I think CM's in california are living in cars because the cost of living is one of the highest in your country. Not really because of drinking or partying, some might be sure.
There are families who live in hotels in both Cali and Orlando and they are employed by one of the most successful, powerful and wealthy corporations on the planet?
God forbid people have a place they can eventually own.
The media is depicting people spending money because they want them to spend money.

People in America and Canada need to be making more - - plain and simple.
Just look at your national average stats - - - min wage has not changed since 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ownership of one’s residence is a historical anomaly. Prior to WW2, most people rented. If your goal is universal ownership, prices are the issue more than wages. You can’t find a house for under $500K in Orange County. No one has the “right” to a $500K house.

NickMaio

Original Poster

IMO that's the problem, Mcdonald workers expect 55K for flipping burgers and then get ****ed when you remind them it's a low paying job. I thought (and I could be wrong) that the college program at WDW was to get college credits and gain experience.

Without that so called, "burger flipper" - - - McDonalds would be making zero dollars.
Why demean someone's job..........
Why does the so called, "football catcher or thrower" earn XX million dollars?

Corporations need these front line workers - - without them they would be nothing, virtually nothing overnight.
Why we choose to look down on them is the reason why they get paid so poorly........ Corporations know they have little society support or vice.

This attitude of " I started at the bottom so should everyone else", the world is a very different place than it was 20-30-40 , even 10 years ago.

NickMaio

Original Poster
Ownership of one’s residence is a historical anomaly. Prior to WW2, most people rented. If your goal is universal ownership, prices are the issue more than wages. You can’t find a house for under $500K in Orange County. No one has the “right” to a $500K house.
Not a right - - - but a chance - - - $7-10-15/hour - - - gives no one the chance.
In America home ownership is an anomaly - - - - but please look at other places on this planet. You will find this to be untrue in many industrialized nations.

Hank Hill

In 1940, the median home value in the U.S. was $2,938. By 2000, it had risen to $119,600 Even adjusted for inflation, the median home price in 1940 would only have been $30,600 in 2000 dollars.
Students at public four-year institutions, with prices adjusted to reflect 2017 dollars, paid an average of $3,190 in tuition for the 1987-1988 school year. Thirty years later, that average has risen to $9,970 for the 2017-2018 school year. That’s a 213 percent increase.

$4.03-average hourly wage recorded in January 1973 had the same purchasing power that $23.68 would today. Between 1989 and 2019, average wages for young college grads grew a total of only 14% — that's an increase of less than half a percent per year.
One long-term factor is slow U.S. wage growth dating back to the late 1970s. Most of the nation's income since then has gone toward things like corporate profits and investor dividends rather than employee pay.

So yeah, things are much different. Most young people just want to survive, not live in luxury. Just because your kid didn't understand doesn't entitle you to lump all young people into the same boat. And younger people see the BS that is workers getting less money and benefits while paying more for everything, as profits soar.

I graduated HS in the 80's, and I can guarantee you there were entitled, lazy people that wanted more than they were worth then too, and not all worked their butts off to get where they are today. A lot of people simply succeed by sticking around long enough. And many young people today are good kids who work hard without being entitled. Stop drawing lines and lumping whole groups on the other side of it. Your whole post just sounds like an angry old man yelling at the sky about how great his generation is and the younin's are terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom