Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

• Yes

Votes: 306 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 429 50.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 111 13.1%

• Total voters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In all the years we have gone to Disney I have only experienced ONE time a CM enforced a rule in the parks. One. A couple of women were entering PotC and tried to cut right past everyone just outside the doors. They were stepping over the chains and walking right to the door despite the long line of us outside waiting. The CM stepped up and asked them to go to the rear of the line. They got mad and left. That was the only time we have ever witnessed a CM enforce the rules. We have seen CM's step outside of store fronts and get hit with large clouds of tobacco smoke and they just act like nothing happened. Th CM's will not enforce a mask rule. Ever. This will lead to guest v guest confrontations.
What’s strange is the concept of “non-confrontation” is not taught...yet everyone seems to learn it quickly. In practice...people learn that if you question anyone, you’re likely to hear it. It’s the cost and expectations that are the culprits.

It’s just transmitted through osmosis or something?

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
What’s strange is the concept of “non-confrontation” is not taught...yet everyone seems to learn it quickly. In practice...people learn that if you question anyone, you’re likely to hear it. It’s the cost and expectations that are the culprits.

It’s just transmitted through osmosis or something?
Its spread by droplets. Wearing a mask should slow down transmission 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's going to happen. If cast are required to wear one, it's certain they will remind the guests to wear one. The ones who want to test the system, roll the dice.
Honestly...my fears of the difficulties are probably too “conservative” in the context of this debate...but your repeated assertions that it’s a guarantee are way too far on the other end...

Probably have to meet in the middle.

G00fyDad

I have lost faith that the CM's will do anything about the masks when I have seen several CM's in the past approached about people smoking at tables outside in the middle of dining areas and NOTHING happens. Selfie sticks are banned in the parks yet they still show up and the CM's refuse to say anything. People getting whacked in the face with them and CM's still won't say anything. I've even seen CM's taking selfies with guests holding the sticks. So no, they will not be saying anything about masks to those not wearing them.

wagamama

As there will always be the ‘Merican who adamantly resist that...

I’m not unsupportive of the rules...I think they’re logistically impossible in many ways...but not unsupportive.

What I don’t support is the notion that everyone will fall in line and everyone will be all sortsa “ok” with it because of the price and lack of value in the modified daily experience.
So I have a hard time supporting the “That’s that...the cast will enforce this” take on things. They’ve historically enforced almost nothing and that dates back to Anaheim 1955. But they never really needed to...and that’s the new wrinkle. Nothing was ever a “big deal” and caused trouble considering the mass number of people that have walked through over the years. People generally self regulate because of the demographics and PR image as much as anything.

I think a mask and marks on the ground to stand in with Florida’s weather...combined with diminished supply for the price...is a test they’ve never even dreamed of...

Not that simple.
Not to mention the abuse folks at other businesses have taken trying to enforce masks and social distancing - are these poor CMs going to get hazard pay for enforcing masks? (Joking, but only kind of ...)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The Chinese, and frankly citizens of most other countries, believe in science and listen to the experts.
1589547166430.png

Scientific farmer consulting with transportation and fertilization expert

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In all the years we have gone to Disney I have only experienced ONE time a CM enforced a rule in the parks. One. A couple of women were entering PotC and tried to cut right past everyone just outside the doors. They were stepping over the chains and walking right to the door despite the long line of us outside waiting. The CM stepped up and asked them to go to the rear of the line. They got mad and left. That was the only time we have ever witnessed a CM enforce the rules. We have seen CM's step outside of store fronts and get hit with large clouds of tobacco smoke and they just act like nothing happened. Th CM's will not enforce a mask rule. Ever. This will lead to guest v guest confrontations.
I agree with you guys. I’m skeptical that it will be enforced. However, the one area where I believe CMs will enforce rules is when they come to safety. If a guest attempts to climb over a fence near a coaster track they will be stopped. If the mask rule is considered a safety precaution maybe it will be taken more seriously. Things like stealing soda or cutting lines are less serious offenses. I don’t know, maybe I’m overthinking it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have lost faith that the CM's will do anything about the masks when I have seen several CM's in the past approached about people smoking at tables outside in the middle of dining areas and NOTHING happens. Selfie sticks are banned in the parks yet they still show up and the CM's refuse to say anything. People getting whacked in the face with them and CM's still won't say anything. I've even seen CM's taking selfies with guests holding the sticks. So no, they will not be saying anything about masks to those not wearing them.
Well...one caveat...

A lot of the CMs in the front end park spots are college program...and these are “mini humans” with little to no work experience.

They wouldn’t honestly know how to confront anyone effectively. I would venture a shocking number would be on their first “real job”...

The Orlando workforce would be more inline with this on a restart...but they certainly aren’t “rough” either. Not exactly nyc transit cops working the tiki room.

iluvMainStMagic

As much as I would Love to go back, I had to say "no" because 1-my husband has multiple high risk factors so we both need to be extra careful for him, and 2-too many people appear to not be willing to follow safety guidelines & there is no vaccine available yet.
Thank you to wdwmagic for helping keep us up to date on WDW news, and helping with the "can't-go-back-yet-blues"!!

Jimmy Thick

Hypothetically...

Say you go to Disney World and are fine but get sick during the trip, bad enough to see a doctor and find out you have Covid-19.

Then what happens?

Do you quarantine at WDW in a hotel room? Will they allow it? Do they kick you off property? If you have to lock up for 14 days and can't stay at WDW will local authorities help you secure lodging? I will assume no airline will let you fly home, or car rental let you rent a car.

Serious questions to answer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hypothetically...

Say you go to Disney World and are fine but get sick during the trip, bad enough to see a doctor and find out you have Covid-19.

Then what happens?

Do you quarantine at WDW in a hotel room? Will they allow it? Do they kick you off property? If you have to lock up for 14 days and can't stay at WDW will local authorities help you secure lodging? I will assume no airline will let you fly home, or car rental let you rent a car.

I agree...

And there are no valid answers to any of them.

Think they let you “quarantine” in French quarter for a week or two? Delivery services?

Or do you get tossed and a crew In yellow suits with Clorox cannons walk in and blast away?

Or do you have to drink the Clorox?

It’s florida...these are valid questions 🤪

wagamama

I agree...

And there are no valid answers to any of them.

Think they let you “quarantine” in French quarter for a week or two? Delivery services?

Or do you get tossed and a crew In yellow suits with Clorox cannons walk in and blast away?

Or do you have to drink the Clorox?

It’s florida...these are valid questions 🤪
I thought that’s when they zap you with the UV lights?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hypothetically...

Then what happens?

I would assume they would have to allow you to stay in your hotel room (not sure the legality of kicking someone out), but that puts the hotel staff at much higher risk. Most people aren’t going to run to the hotel and tell them they tested positive anyway. Same with a rental car or flight. My guess (knowing the nature of a lot of people) is that people who test positive on vacation will still fly home anyway. They won’t want to bear the extra cost of extending a stay to 2 weeks and they also want to be near their doctor and hospitals they know if things get worse. If you don’t tell the airline you are sick they will never know. Serious risk to other passengers and crew, but people generally tend to be self centered.

Touchdown

Except all Covid positive tests are reported to Public Health and they will track you down. The only way to cheat the system is not get tested, fly home, wait a day or two and when you get tested there lie about your symptom onset.

Minnesota disney fan

As there will always be the ‘Merican who adamantly resist that...

I’m not unsupportive of the rules...I think they’re logistically impossible in many ways...but not unsupportive.

What I don’t support is the notion that everyone will fall in line and everyone will be all sortsa “ok” with it because of the price and lack of value in the modified daily experience.
So I have a hard time supporting the “That’s that...the cast will enforce this” take on things. They’ve historically enforced almost nothing and that dates back to Anaheim 1955. But they never really needed to...and that’s the new wrinkle. Nothing was ever a “big deal” and caused trouble considering the mass number of people that have walked through over the years. People generally self regulate because of the demographics and PR image as much as anything.

I think a mask and marks on the ground to stand in with Florida’s weather...combined with diminished supply for the price...is a test they’ve never even dreamed of...

Not that simple.
Hey, sir Walter, what' with this "Merican" stuff??? It's kind of demeaning and judgmental wouldn't you agree????? Not everyone in this country is perfect, as is the case elsewhere in the world!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except all Covid positive tests are reported to Public Health and they will track you down. The only way to cheat the system is not get tested, fly home, wait a day or two and when you get tested there lie about your symptom onset.
How exactly does the tracking you down work? Right now if someone tests positive (at least where I live) they are telling you to quarantine yourself. There’s not a facility you go to or a way for them to track the people’s movements. You are on the honor system. If you test positive how would the hotel or an airline know you are positive? There’s not a published list. Someone could easily show up at the airport and board a flight or leave their hotel room to swim in the pool or grab a bite to eat in the food court. Not saying people should do that, but we don’t have a system like China where you get assigned a color and you need to show your status to move around. Not saying I want that either, but it does open up the dilemma of trusting your fellow man to do what’s right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom