Would you upgrade to a mod. resort if...

NewfieFan

It was only a difference of about $360?

We're planning on ASMusic but we're paying for a fridge for 9 nights and we're upgrading to the regular dining plan b/c we have enough ADRs to justify the cost to upgrade. When you factor in the rental for the fridge and the cost to upgrade the DDP it's only about $360 difference between value and mod. (price based on standard rooms).

So would you make the leap?

We're staying 3 nights at the YC (we love it but can't really justify the cost for anymore than 3 nights). 3 nights should give us a taste of our favorite resort and then we'll be switching over to another resort and we'll be on the free dining package! We'll have 9 nights at the other resort...

Save my $360 and stay at ASMusic (which we like btw) or splurge and try out a mod. for the first time?

love disney

I have to side with the folks that say it depends on how much time you plan on spending at the resort itself. Are the extra "perks" and "niceties" that you will get at the moderate resort worth the extra money for the amount of time you plan on spending there? If you don't plan on spending much time at the resort I say either save the money or use it for souvenirs or something. On my next trip (in just over 2 weeks!:sohappy:) we will start at the Wilderness Lodge, arrive there early in the morning and spend the entire day relaxing at the pool, enjoying the lodge, etc. and treating ourselves to a nice dinner at Artist Point, and then the next morning we are moving to Pop Century for the rest of out stay and doing the parks. It will be nice to experience the deluxe resort, but since every other day the vast majority of our time will be at the parks we will be sleeping at the value resort. Just seems to make sense for us.

In any case, have a great trip!

Upvote 0

durangojim

We stay 95% of the time at Deluxes -- primarily WL, BC, and GF. We've stayed at PORS and did not like it at all. We stayed at Pop once and will be going back in August for 4 nights. For the money I don't think mods are worth it at all, save your money and stay at a deluxe if you want something like a deluxe. A mod is nowhere near as nice at a deluxe and the transportation was aweful. If you're just going for a short trip and aren't spending much time in the room, then go with a value. We really liked pop and that's why we're going back for an unplanned trip for my son's 5th birthday and taking advantage of free dining.

Just wanted to elaborate a little about our likes and dislikes of each of the categories.

Deluxes: Love the theming, the restaurants, the transportation (especially the boat to MK from WL, monorail from GF, and walking to Epcot or DHS from BC), and the ability to enjoy a meal or drink on our balcony. Fits in with a more relaxing vacation where we come back to the resort in the middle of the day and swim, rest, work out, or all 3.

Mods: Theming was nice, transporation was aweful, lack of a balcony was a bummer, room was ok. People who say these are almost as good as a deluxe have a different set of standards than I do because there is very little similarity.

Value: For small kids Pop is cool because of the icons. The rooms are small, and there are little to no amenities, but then again they're cheap and young kids don't care if they don't have a great restaurant or room service. They're priced well with discounts or free dining. It's good for a short fast paced trip.

Upvote 0

SchultzFamily

Absolutely. I know many people love the values, but we are not one of them. We will skip a trip if we can't stay moderate. We just found the values to be too noisy, hectic and crowded. We prefer a more spread out resort where it never truly feels crowded and it is much more peaceful. Then you have the double sinks (except for the CSR), queen beds if you chose the CSR, sit down restaurant (except for POFQ), a slide at the pool, hot tub, refrigerator, coffee pot, etc.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

9 nights for only 360 extra bucks. SPLURGE. Go with CSR OR PORS =]
Thats only 40 bucks a night extra to stay at a much nice resort. And CSR has queen beds with the refurbs!

Upvote 0

L2DAVI

I say yes, go for the upgrade. My family usually stays at the values, we came across the same issue you are having (difference being about $400.00) so we said if we're gonna try a mod. then lets go for it. We stayed at POFQ. IMO, I will never stay at a value or anywhere else for that matter. I was in WDW from June 26 - July 3rd, 2009. POFQ is very, very small and beautiful. I loved how small it was especially after walking all day. We would come back to our hotel around 8 pm every night and change to go for a swim. I used the hot tub and DH and DS (5 yrs old) swam until about 9:30 - 10:00 pm. MY DS loved the dragon slide. He even was willing to go without a life jacket. The theme was Mardi Gras, it was fun to see all of the decor. All in all it is you choice and your money. I hope this helps alittle.

Oh, P.S. Bussing was great - 1st pick up and 1st drop off.:wave:

Upvote 0

marcriss

Plus going from the YC to POR or POFQ will be less of a shock, lol :wave: Have fun!

I have to say this is absolutely true! For $360 I would definitely stay at the moderate. I think it'll be more peaceful and enjoyable, and if you decide it wasn't worth it to you you're not out that much. I usually advocate doing the deluxe at the end of the stay, it's a pretty drastic difference...that's just my two cents.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Thanks for your insight and thoughts! I've decided to try out a moderate resort. It's not a huge amount of money in the difference and we've always wanted to try out another resort... so this is our chance. If we don't like it and find out it's not worth the extra $$$ then we'll know for next time!

I also agree that staying at a deluxe resort would be better at the end of a stay (then you wouldn't have that shock). But we have a very long travel day and we plan to take it a little easier for the first couple of days. I would much rather relax and spend my resort time at the YC! We've done it before and it wasn't that much of shock to "downgrade"!

Again, thanks!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I have to side with the folks that say it depends on how much time you plan on spending at the resort itself. Are the extra "perks" and "niceties" that you will get at the moderate resort worth the extra money for the amount of time you plan on spending there? If you don't plan on spending much time at the resort I say either save the money or use it for souvenirs or something. On my next trip (in just over 2 weeks!:sohappy:) we will start at the Wilderness Lodge, arrive there early in the morning and spend the entire day relaxing at the pool, enjoying the lodge, etc. and treating ourselves to a nice dinner at Artist Point, and then the next morning we are moving to Pop Century for the rest of out stay and doing the parks. It will be nice to experience the deluxe resort, but since every other day the vast majority of our time will be at the parks we will be sleeping at the value resort. Just seems to make sense for us.

In any case, have a great trip!

i see a lot of people doing this, and I never understood why people go to the Deluxe FIRST and then downgrade.

Why wouldn't you start your trip at a value, and then finish at a Deluxe ?

I have a last day routine. I get up in the AM, use RAC to check in my bags, and throw a carry-on with a bathing suit and some toiletries in bell services. I go to the parks for a few hours, just taking in a last few hours. The I go back to the resort, change, and hang out at the pool for the afternoon - reading, swimming, a few adult beverages, etc. I then shower and change in the locker facilites at the health club on site, have a relaxing final Disney meal at that resorts sit down restaruant, and then board the DME for my evening flight.

Of course this does not work for everyone, some cant get 8:30 PM flights. But thats how I wind down a trip. I end up heading home relaxed and rested. But you can't do that at a value - well you can, if you want to change in a bathroom stall and eat in the food court.

Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather close out my trip at a Deluxe than to begin it at a Deluxe (or if you just stay at the Deluxe your whole trip, that problem does not happen :) )

-dave

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

In my opinion, the moderate resorts are nicer.
We have stayed at POR & at POP.
We prefer POR, but when we are looking to save some $, we go w/ POP.
We are planning to stay at POR again this fall.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom