Would You Take a Bullet Train from Anaheim to Las Vegas?... Brightline West

KeithVH

Agreed. I voted for Prop 1 back in '08, but we all got duped. Again. California High Speed Rail will never connect Anaheim and SF in anyone's lifetime here, and it certainly won't do it at the standards that were written in the legislation and sunshiny promises of Prop 1 (225 mph trains, 3 hour max travel time between LA and SF, etc.). It's dubious that even the Bakersfield to Merced section will be completed by 2033, or ever.

That's why I'm excited about the success and expansion of Brightline in Florida. It's a private for-profit railroad, getting things built much faster, and then operating the railroad at a higher standard, than any state or federal government ever could.

Brightline West is the way forward now, not California High Speed Rail's train to nowhere. Brightline West already has purchased a lot of land at both terminus locations and for right-of-way (that will mostly run along I-15), and they have a solid business plan that is attracting private investment after their proven success in Florida.

This seems to be the way forward.
IOW, this is the way.

TP2000

Original Poster
We could probably do an entire thread dedicated to official city names and their popular alternatives. Bonus points for how offended locals get when hearing some of them.

That could be fun. Like all the non-Californians (north or south) who call the city by the bay "Frisco". Or worse, who call the entire state "Cali", when no one with a California driver's license would dare call it that.

There's a lot of them. I lived on the East Coast for years, but I'm struggling to remember any similar knicknames for cities or states out there. I'm sure there's a few, and I probably just forgot.

*NOTE: As much as I like being proper, I just can't bring myself to say "I'm heading up to San Buenaventura".

I had to Google that one, as I didn't know what you were talking about. Of course, the real name for Ventura. Just like that old big blue Pontiac Ventura I once had, I wouldn't dare misname it. But some things are better left to the modern phrasing.

MoonRakerSCM

I'm up near San Fran this week by way of Bako. I started in Rancho and had to pick some gear up near P-town in D-bar.

My grandmother always hated the name Cucamonga, but loved the name Etiwanda.

Stevek

The local Las Vegas news stations are covering the Brightline West construction fairly regularly now. In a town bursting with new construction and arriving pro sports teams, I'm tickled to see them cover this on the nightly news as much as they do.

That said, I have no idea where this news lady got the term "Rancho" from to describe Rancho Cucamonga. 🤣 The town's name was always just Cucamonga, then in the 1970's they added "Rancho" to it to make it sound more upscale for housing developers. This news lady has somehow decided the Cucamonga is no longer needed, the poor dear.

My brother has lived in Rancho Cucamonga for at least 25 years, they always call it Rancho. Living in the IE for nearly 30 years, most people I know call it Rancho. We all know what we're referring to.

As for the train, it's a 20-30 minute drive for me to "Rancho" so if the cost is right, I'd have no problem taking the train. If it's cheaper to fly, I'm doing that. But 99% of the time, we drive anyways. We are used to it at this point.

Parteecia

My brother has lived in Rancho Cucamonga for at least 25 years, they always call it Rancho. Living in the IE for nearly 30 years, most people I know call it Rancho. We all know what we're referring to.

As for the train, it's a 20-30 minute drive for me to "Rancho" so if the cost is right, I'd have no problem taking the train. If it's cheaper to fly, I'm doing that. But 99% of the time, we drive anyways. We are used to it at this point.
Lol! My friend with the Rancho issue and I have both lived in the area for over 60(!) years, well before Alta Loma, Cucamonga, and Etiwanda merged. We are mystified by the assumption by "newcomers" that they are the only Rancho, especially when speaking with others in the greater SoCal region.

TP2000

Original Poster
Lol! My friend with the Rancho issue and I have both lived in the area for over 60(!) years, well before Alta Loma, Cucamonga, and Etiwanda merged. We are mystified by the assumption by "newcomers" that they are the only Rancho.

I have a friend who retired as a Principal in the Cucamonga School District (the district is old enough they don't have the Rancho prefix). He never once called it Rancho, it was always just "Cucamonga", or sometimes more formally "Rancho Cucamonga".

And friends of mine who retired in Rancho Mirage, and throw fabulous parties with Rancho Mirage neighbors, have never uttered the single word "Rancho" without following it immediately by "Mirage".

The issue with calling that one city just "Rancho" becomes quickly, what do you do with Rancho Palos Verdes, or Rancho Santa Margarita, or Rancho Cordova, or Rancho Murieta, or Rancho Santa Fe, or Rancho Bernardo, etc., etc.???

I like Las as a contrast. Or Los. Also San. :cool:

"I'm going to take the train from Los to San, but Carol is taking a plane from Las to San, with a plane change in Los. It was either that, or she could get a direct flight from Las to San but then have to rent a car in San to drive up to meet us in San. Her Loss."

Boys, could you take it from here? Cause I'd like to ask my friend @Parteecia to dance...

Last edited:

Parteecia

I have a friend who retired as a Principal in the Cucamonga School District (the district is old enough they don't have the Rancho prefix). He never once called it Rancho, it was always just "Cucamonga", or sometimes more formally "Rancho Cucamonga".

And friends of mine who retired in Rancho Mirage, and throw fabulous parties with Rancho Mirage neighbors, have never uttered the single word "Rancho" without following it immediately by "Mirage".

The issue with calling that one city just "Rancho" becomes quickly, what do you do with Rancho Palos Verdes, or Rancho Santa Margarita, or Rancho Cordova, or Rancho Murieta, or Rancho Santa Fe, or Rancho Bernardo, etc., etc.???

"I'm going to take the train from Los to San, but Carol is taking a plane from Las to San, with a plane change in Los. It was either that, or she could get a direct flight from Las to San but then have to rent a car in San to drive up to meet us in San. Her Loss."

Boys, could you take it from here? Cause I'd like to ask my friend @Parteecia to dance...

If a News Lady in another state is using Rancho solely for Cucamonga, it may be too late for all of the other Rancho cities. They lose.

Stevek

I grew up in Torrance, my family and friends that lived in Rancho Palos Verdes used to call it Rancho PV.

TP2000

Original Poster
I might as well put this here, since it inolves Anaheim's abandoned and unloved $185 Million ARTIC California High Speed Rail Terminal commuter train platform and bus stop.

The parent company of Megabus, the coach line that uses Anaheim's ARTIC as a hub for it's SoCal and Southwest US bus routes, has filed for bankruptcy. It's unclear yet what that means for the routes that call on ARTIC. But it can't be good.

artic04.jpg

NobodyElse

I might as well put this here, since it inolves Anaheim's abandoned and unloved $185 Million ARTIC California High Speed Rail Terminal commuter train platform and bus stop.

The parent company of Megabus, the coach line that uses Anaheim's ARTIC as a hub for it's SoCal and Southwest US bus routes, has filed for bankruptcy. It's unclear yet what that means for the routes that call on ARTIC. But it can't be good.

artic04.jpg
Fun Fact: One year I decided to take Megabus home from the NAB show in Las Vegas (because I had the time to give it a try, and it was DIRT CHEAP). That was a long day. As I recall, I took the monorail as far as I could south, then took a shuttle to the bus station. Then eventually Amtrak from ARTIC down to South OC.

It seemed like we were making pretty good time. But after our mandated rest stop at the Flying J truck stop in Barstow, reality crept in. I hadn't really done my full route research, and soon discovered I'd be taking a trip to Riverside, then a leisurely jaunt to Union Station before finally heading down to Anaheim.

Someone once said "You get what you pay for".

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Agreed. I voted for Prop 1 back in '08, but we all got duped. Again. California High Speed Rail will never connect Anaheim and SF in anyone's lifetime here, and it certainly won't do it at the standards that were written in the legislation and sunshiny promises of Prop 1 (225 mph trains, 3 hour max travel time between LA and SF, etc.). It's dubious that even the Bakersfield to Merced section will be completed by 2033, or ever.

That's why I'm excited about the success and expansion of Brightline in Florida. It's a private for-profit railroad, getting things built much faster, and then operating the railroad at a higher standard, than any state or federal government ever could.

Brightline West is the way forward now, not California High Speed Rail's train to nowhere. Brightline West already has purchased a lot of land at both terminus locations and for right-of-way (that will mostly run along I-15), and they have a solid business plan that is attracting private investment after their proven success in Florida.

This seems to be the way forward.
Thank rural representatives who “demanded” the train go through the more expensive route in Central Valley instead of along the interstate as landowners and NIMBYs there have been successful with lawsuits and every stall tactic they can use.

It should have began in LA and been extended overtime from there, but spending so much time in Europe over the years has made me realize it’s better to have expensive, slow-built rail than no high-speed rail at all.

It’s nothing short of magical and feels like you're stepping into the past in places that don't have it, and there are SO many routes here that are just begging for bullet trains that it’s disappointing that it took our culture this long to start to want them, and even sadder that politicians have been so underprepared in organizing their construction.

The Vegas to LA route looks VERY promising, so it’s great to see that happening and with a much better planned-out route than the California Rail project.

That it will indeed be true high-speed rail is a big deal. With it, Brightline is hopefully going to set a new standard and expectation for Americans going forward.

Still, rail in America (for many projects, including the California one) is so incompetently run because of our lack of institutional expansion experience that it’s pretty much inevitable for collosal cost over-runs like this, Honolulu, and NYC. I'm not just talking about the usual budget differences either.

Until we continually expand, it will be lost again and be that much more difficult to start new projects. Private rail does make sense in a lot of cases, and I hope private transit systems where it makes sense would be considered more often, instead of just regional rail. Though, Brightline’s lack of highspeed rail service in Florida is very disappointing especially for its prices.

There are examples where private rail in America have run into similar problems as government projects (ie. Dallas to Houston), but each have their own unique set of circumstances and there's absolutely a place for both government and private rail.

There's obviously other factors involved but I thought I'd briefly add some context.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Fun Fact: One year I decided to take Megabus home from the NAB show in Las Vegas (because I had the time to give it a try, and it was DIRT CHEAP). That was a long day. As I recall, I took the monorail as far as I could south, then took a shuttle to the bus station. Then eventually Amtrak from ARTIC down to South OC.

It seemed like we were making pretty good time. But after our mandated rest stop at the Flying J truck stop in Barstow, reality crept in. I hadn't really done my full route research, and soon discovered I'd be taking a trip to Riverside, then a leisurely jaunt to Union Station before finally heading down to Anaheim.

Your post made me think to myself... "TP2000, when was the last time you rode a bus anywhere?"...

Aside from one-offs like the buses from the Hollywood Bowl to satellite parking lots, or a few times on Disneyland's Toy Story parking lot buses.. I'm straining against my dusty memory banks to remember ever doing that. I do vaguely remember taking buses as a 12 to 15 year old in Seattle many decades ago, before age 16 when I finally earned the keys to my mom's station wagon on weekends (my dad's Lincoln was strictly off limits, don't even look at it!). And I remember giving up my seat to ladies if the bus was getting full, which was mandatory especially for school-aged boys.

But as an adult? I can't think of a time I've ridden a bus, especially a bus that charged a fare to ride. When I lived in OC I used to marvel at the OCTA buses that plied the main thoroughfares down the hill in town, because they would almost always be totally empty in late afternoon rush hour. Or at best, have 3 or 4 people in them. How on earth does OCTA stay in business that way?

That said, for someone who has rarely ridden a bus, sometimes I find myself humming the old Greyhound jingle for no good reason.... Go Greyhound, and leave the driving to us!

What do you think that might mean? 🤔

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Your post made me think to myself... "TP2000, when was the last time you rode a bus anywhere?"...

Aside from one-offs like the buses from the Hollywood Bowl to satellite parking lots, or a few times on Disneyland's Toy Story parking lot buses.. I'm straining against my dusty memory banks to remember ever doing that. I do vaguely remember taking buses as a 12 to 15 year old in Seattle many decades ago, before age 16 when I finally earned the keys to my mom's station wagon on weekends (my dad's Lincoln was strictly off limits, don't even look at it!). And I remember giving up my seat to ladies if the bus was getting full, which was mandatory especially for school-aged boys.

But as an adult? I can't think of a time I've ridden a bus, especially a bus that charged a fare to ride. When I lived in OC I used to marvel at the OCTA buses that plied the main thoroughfares down the hill in town, because they would almost always be totally empty in late afternoon rush hour. Or at best, have 3 or 4 people in them. How on earth does OCTA stay in business that way?

That said, for someone who has rarely ridden a bus, sometimes I find myself humming the old Greyhound jingle for no good reason.... Go Greyhound, and leave the driving to us!

What do you think that might mean? 🤔
Buses are fantastic in other countries. A lack of bus lanes, density, cleanliness, and interconnectivity with a larger network I think is what seriously hurts ridership in the States.

AJFireman

I did it a few times prior to COVID for the dirt cheap prices under 40 dollars round trip. Fortunately for me I am in the Riverside Area so it was straight to Vegas and Back plus the rest stop. Worked out great for me. I would not do it if I had to do all what you did.

TP2000

Original Poster
Buses are fantastic in other countries. A lack of bus lanes, density, cleanliness, and interconnectivity with a larger network I think is what seriously hurts ridership in the States.

That triggered my memory banks. I have taken a bus! I have used the Limousine Bus service several times from Narita into Tokyo, depending on my hotel of choice. The past few trips I've stayed very close or within a short taxi ride of Tokyo Station and instead used the very convenient Narita Express train, but earlier trips I stayed at various hotels around town and used the Limousine Bus, and I've also used it to get back to Narita from Tokyo Disneyland hotels.

But perhaps because the Limousine Bus in Japan was so clean, so efficient, so expertly staffed, I forgot it was a bus? 🧐

That said, with the new 787's and A350's there are now so many flights from the US to Haneda airport which is much closer to town, so I doubt I'll ever take the Limousine Bus again. You can take the Haneda monorail to the Conrad Hilton at Shiodome, or a relatively inexpensive (compared to Narita's one hour commute) taxi into town from Haneda.

The days of giant quad-jet 747's and A380's being the only planes that could fly long distances over oceans are near an end, so the business model of giant exurban airports like Narita is kind of falling apart. Now you fly from LA to Tokyo on a twin-jet airliner and land at Haneda. Incredible.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom