Would You Take a Bullet Train from Anaheim to Las Vegas?... Brightline West

KeithVH

Agreed. I voted for Prop 1 back in '08, but we all got duped. Again. California High Speed Rail will never connect Anaheim and SF in anyone's lifetime here, and it certainly won't do it at the standards that were written in the legislation and sunshiny promises of Prop 1 (225 mph trains, 3 hour max travel time between LA and SF, etc.). It's dubious that even the Bakersfield to Merced section will be completed by 2033, or ever.

That's why I'm excited about the success and expansion of Brightline in Florida. It's a private for-profit railroad, getting things built much faster, and then operating the railroad at a higher standard, than any state or federal government ever could.

Brightline West is the way forward now, not California High Speed Rail's train to nowhere. Brightline West already has purchased a lot of land at both terminus locations and for right-of-way (that will mostly run along I-15), and they have a solid business plan that is attracting private investment after their proven success in Florida.

This seems to be the way forward.
IOW, this is the way.

TP2000

Original Poster
We could probably do an entire thread dedicated to official city names and their popular alternatives. Bonus points for how offended locals get when hearing some of them.

That could be fun. Like all the non-Californians (north or south) who call the city by the bay "Frisco". Or worse, who call the entire state "Cali", when no one with a California driver's license would dare call it that.

There's a lot of them. I lived on the East Coast for years, but I'm struggling to remember any similar knicknames for cities or states out there. I'm sure there's a few, and I probably just forgot.

*NOTE: As much as I like being proper, I just can't bring myself to say "I'm heading up to San Buenaventura".

I had to Google that one, as I didn't know what you were talking about. Of course, the real name for Ventura. Just like that old big blue Pontiac Ventura I once had, I wouldn't dare misname it. But some things are better left to the modern phrasing.

MoonRakerSCM

I'm up near San Fran this week by way of Bako. I started in Rancho and had to pick some gear up near P-town in D-bar.

My grandmother always hated the name Cucamonga, but loved the name Etiwanda.

Stevek

The local Las Vegas news stations are covering the Brightline West construction fairly regularly now. In a town bursting with new construction and arriving pro sports teams, I'm tickled to see them cover this on the nightly news as much as they do.

That said, I have no idea where this news lady got the term "Rancho" from to describe Rancho Cucamonga. 🤣 The town's name was always just Cucamonga, then in the 1970's they added "Rancho" to it to make it sound more upscale for housing developers. This news lady has somehow decided the Cucamonga is no longer needed, the poor dear.

My brother has lived in Rancho Cucamonga for at least 25 years, they always call it Rancho. Living in the IE for nearly 30 years, most people I know call it Rancho. We all know what we're referring to.

As for the train, it's a 20-30 minute drive for me to "Rancho" so if the cost is right, I'd have no problem taking the train. If it's cheaper to fly, I'm doing that. But 99% of the time, we drive anyways. We are used to it at this point.

Parteecia

My brother has lived in Rancho Cucamonga for at least 25 years, they always call it Rancho. Living in the IE for nearly 30 years, most people I know call it Rancho. We all know what we're referring to.

As for the train, it's a 20-30 minute drive for me to "Rancho" so if the cost is right, I'd have no problem taking the train. If it's cheaper to fly, I'm doing that. But 99% of the time, we drive anyways. We are used to it at this point.
Lol! My friend with the Rancho issue and I have both lived in the area for over 60(!) years, well before Alta Loma, Cucamonga, and Etiwanda merged. We are mystified by the assumption by "newcomers" that they are the only Rancho, especially when speaking with others in the greater SoCal region.

TP2000

Original Poster
Lol! My friend with the Rancho issue and I have both lived in the area for over 60(!) years, well before Alta Loma, Cucamonga, and Etiwanda merged. We are mystified by the assumption by "newcomers" that they are the only Rancho.

I have a friend who retired as a Principal in the Cucamonga School District (the district is old enough they don't have the Rancho prefix). He never once called it Rancho, it was always just "Cucamonga", or sometimes more formally "Rancho Cucamonga".

And friends of mine who retired in Rancho Mirage, and throw fabulous parties with Rancho Mirage neighbors, have never uttered the single word "Rancho" without following it immediately by "Mirage".

The issue with calling that one city just "Rancho" becomes quickly, what do you do with Rancho Palos Verdes, or Rancho Santa Margarita, or Rancho Cordova, or Rancho Murieta, or Rancho Santa Fe, or Rancho Bernardo, etc., etc.???

I like Las as a contrast. Or Los. Also San. :cool:

"I'm going to take the train from Los to San, but Carol is taking a plane from Las to San, with a plane change in Los. It was either that, or she could get a direct flight from Las to San but then have to rent a car in San to drive up to meet us in San. Her Loss."

Boys, could you take it from here? Cause I'd like to ask my friend @Parteecia to dance...

Last edited:

Parteecia

I have a friend who retired as a Principal in the Cucamonga School District (the district is old enough they don't have the Rancho prefix). He never once called it Rancho, it was always just "Cucamonga", or sometimes more formally "Rancho Cucamonga".

And friends of mine who retired in Rancho Mirage, and throw fabulous parties with Rancho Mirage neighbors, have never uttered the single word "Rancho" without following it immediately by "Mirage".

The issue with calling that one city just "Rancho" becomes quickly, what do you do with Rancho Palos Verdes, or Rancho Santa Margarita, or Rancho Cordova, or Rancho Murieta, or Rancho Santa Fe, or Rancho Bernardo, etc., etc.???

"I'm going to take the train from Los to San, but Carol is taking a plane from Las to San, with a plane change in Los. It was either that, or she could get a direct flight from Las to San but then have to rent a car in San to drive up to meet us in San. Her Loss."

Boys, could you take it from here? Cause I'd like to ask my friend @Parteecia to dance...

If a News Lady in another state is using Rancho solely for Cucamonga, it may be too late for all of the other Rancho cities. They lose.

Stevek

I grew up in Torrance, my family and friends that lived in Rancho Palos Verdes used to call it Rancho PV.

TP2000

Original Poster
I might as well put this here, since it inolves Anaheim's abandoned and unloved $185 Million ARTIC California High Speed Rail Terminal commuter train platform and bus stop.

The parent company of Megabus, the coach line that uses Anaheim's ARTIC as a hub for it's SoCal and Southwest US bus routes, has filed for bankruptcy. It's unclear yet what that means for the routes that call on ARTIC. But it can't be good.

artic04.jpg

NobodyElse

I might as well put this here, since it inolves Anaheim's abandoned and unloved $185 Million ARTIC California High Speed Rail Terminal commuter train platform and bus stop.

The parent company of Megabus, the coach line that uses Anaheim's ARTIC as a hub for it's SoCal and Southwest US bus routes, has filed for bankruptcy. It's unclear yet what that means for the routes that call on ARTIC. But it can't be good.

artic04.jpg
Fun Fact: One year I decided to take Megabus home from the NAB show in Las Vegas (because I had the time to give it a try, and it was DIRT CHEAP). That was a long day. As I recall, I took the monorail as far as I could south, then took a shuttle to the bus station. Then eventually Amtrak from ARTIC down to South OC.

It seemed like we were making pretty good time. But after our mandated rest stop at the Flying J truck stop in Barstow, reality crept in. I hadn't really done my full route research, and soon discovered I'd be taking a trip to Riverside, then a leisurely jaunt to Union Station before finally heading down to Anaheim.

Someone once said "You get what you pay for".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom