Would you still visit WDW after CP?

toetheline29

Original Poster
I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I did a few searches and turned up nothing). This question is mainly addressed to current/former college program participants. (Edit - I'm asking more than one question, but the first one is my primary one.)

After doing the CP, do you still want to vacation at Disney World? Or are you all "Disneyed out" and in need of a serious break from the magic?

I've been looking into doing the college program in a year or two, and there seem to be two groups of people. Group 1 did not find the experience worthwhile and does not speak well of working for Disney. Group 2 seems to have LOVED doing the CP, and had the time of their lives. Is this actually the case? What kinds of things influence which perspective you leave with? (ie, certain personalities, roles assigments - is it mainly the attitude people when in with or is it factors beyond their control?)

Thanks!

joanna71985

I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question (I will be doing my 5th CP, and 9th trip to WDW overall in 3 years, in Aug). :eek:

Seriously- I love going to Disney. And doing the CP just made that love stronger. I've had such great experiences for all 4 of my CPs. I've been blessed to work with great people. I can't wait to go back.

DisneyChik17

I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I did a few searches and turned up nothing). This question is mainly addressed to current/former college program participants. (Edit - I'm asking more than one question, but the first one is my primary one.)

After doing the CP, do you still want to vacation at Disney World? Or are you all "Disneyed out" and in need of a serious break from the magic?

I've been looking into doing the college program in a year or two, and there seem to be two groups of people. Group 1 did not find the experience worthwhile and does not speak well of working for Disney. Group 2 seems to have LOVED doing the CP, and had the time of their lives. Is this actually the case? What kinds of things influence which perspective you leave with? (ie, certain personalities, roles assigments - is it mainly the attitude people when in with or is it factors beyond their control?)

Thanks!

I don't know yet, but will hopefully be finding out soon. :)

But, there are also 2 kinds of people going into the program, for sure.
One- the kids that are just ready to get away from home, school, and school work for a semester. They come prepped to party hard and don't take the opportunity seriously.
Two- they love WDW, wether they have visited or not. They are taking the tasks very seriously and are there to make connections, emerse themselves in the magic, and advance themselves professionally.

With that said, if you arwe calling in hungover half of the CP, you are not going to value it. If you act irresponsibly and get kicked out, you will hate the WDC. That's how I feel about it, at least.

toetheline29

Original Poster
I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question (I will be doing my 5th CP, and 9th trip to WDW overall in 3 years, in Aug). :eek:

Seriously- I love going to Disney. And doing the CP just made that love stronger. I've had such great experiences for all 4 of my CPs. I've been blessed to work with great people. I can't wait to go back.

Actually, you're probably a perfect person to answer this question. Every time I hear about somebody who enjoyed the experience enough to want to go back (again and again :)), it's enouraging.

What roles have you had?

I don't know yet, but will hopefully be finding out soon. :)

But, there are also 2 kinds of people going into the program, for sure.
One- the kids that are just ready to get away from home, school, and school work for a semester. They come prepped to party hard and don't take the opportunity seriously.
Two- they love WDW, wether they have visited or not. They are taking the tasks very seriously and are there to make connections, emerse themselves in the magic, and advance themselves professionally.

That is definitely me. If I go, I'll be there to work and enjoy the parks, not to party. That's kind of what I thought (that the people who are there for the right reasons enjoy it), but it's good to have other people say that too.

I take it you are waiting to hear about being a CP? Good luck!

I did the CP in 2006, and it was the best time of my life. I actually go back to WDW more now than I did before. I used to go every other year, and now I'm back 2-3 times/year...I finished my CP in August '06, and I'll be going on my 9th Disney trip (including WDW, DL, DCL, and VB) since then in about 2 weeks. I can't imagine ever staying away two years again.

DisneyChik17

That is definitely me. If I go, I'll be there to work and enjoy the parks, not to party. That's kind of what I thought (that the people who are there for the right reasons enjoy it), but it's good to have other people say that too.

I take it you are waiting to here about being a CP? Good luck!

I am. I just interviewed last night. I was so nervous, but I think it went really well. At least, I hope it did.

But, I am definitly going for the right reasons, so unless something traumatic happens down there I don't forsee me hating it. I am so excited to get down there and be part of the WDC. It's something I have always wanted.

sissa216

Did mine 6 years ago- will be back this year for 6th time since (going average 8-9 days each time).
Nope it only enhanced the magic!
The longest I stayed away (because of work reasons) was between October 05 and October 07....it was a looong two years, and I'm trying to make up for it :p

Bug715

I did the CP in 2006, and it was the best time of my life. I actually go back to WDW more now than I did before. I used to go every other year, and now I'm back 2-3 times/year...I finished my CP in August '06, and I'll be going on my 9th Disney trip (including WDW, DL, DCL, and VB) since then in about 2 weeks. I can't imagine ever staying away two years again.

I feel the same way. I did my CP Fall 07 and have been back 6 times since Jan 08. Only one of those times has been my parents paying so I've spent a ton of money in the past few years. I think that moving back will actually save me money. lol. Before my CP my family also went every other year since we are DVC members.

I am in the camp of LOVING the program. Yes it is a lot of work for not great pay and sometimes not great hours but it was fun! I worked hard and had tons of fun. This past Christmas my family went down and I was actually sad I'd decided against picking up shifts because working during the holidays was so much fun.

There were a lot of people I worked with who were so excited to be going home at the end of the program and others who actually hated the program from early on. I was sad to be leaving and couldn't finnish school fast enough.

joanna71985

Actually, you're probably a perfect person to answer this question. Every time I hear about somebody who enjoyed the experience enough to want to go back (again and again :)), it's enouraging.

What roles have you had?

I've had merchandise, custodial, QSFB, character attendant, and I will be doing Attractions in Aug.

goodtimes5286

im startin to think doing the CP is like a right of passage for people who REALLY love disney, and now its making me wanna do one even more.

The problem I have is im graduating in like a week, and thus I couldnt do CP in the fall, but they have one fore grad students (b/c im going into my MBA program in the fall), but the problem I have is taking the 6 MONTHS off to go up there. I dont want to miss that much school and get out of that frame of mind.

Also another thing i was curious about, how are the living arangements? I know theres a bunch of different ones, but is it possible to have your own room? (even if you have to pay more)

joanna71985

Also another thing i was curious about, how are the living arangements? I know theres a bunch of different ones, but is it possible to have your own room? (even if you have to pay more)

There are 3 different apartment complexes, and the apartment sizes range from 1BR apartments to 4BR apartments.

No, there are no solo bedrooms. You will always have a roomie.

TheBeatles

I think your personality and outlook on life determine how much you enjoy the program. My role (Full Service Food and Beverage) isn't my ideal situation, but I have fun with it. I cannot stand my room mates, but I made lots of friends that keep me out of the apartment.

Everything in this world is 50/50. It just depends on how you look at things. I'd come back to WDW every year if I could.

goodtimes5286

I think your personality and outlook on life determine how much you enjoy the program. My role (Full Service Food and Beverage) isn't my ideal situation, but I have fun with it. I cannot stand my room mates, but I made lots of friends that keep me out of the apartment.

Everything in this world is 50/50. It just depends on how you look at things. I'd come back to WDW every year if I could.
my main issue and hence why i would pay more to have a room alone, EVEN IF we shared the app, as long as i had my own room, i would be chill with it

Wilt Dasney

I went through a brief period of "enough is enough" immediately after my CP, and was just ready to put Disney behind me for a while. It was temporary, however. :lol:

I think if you really appreciate the place, that will always be the case, even if it ebbs and flows over time.

TiggersPooh

I loved my CP in 2005 and if anything my Disney obsession only grew!

I am going down for another CP in June. While you may not get along with all your room mates its a part of the experience.

toetheline29

Original Poster
Thank you so much to everybody who replied. You all were very encouraging, and I'm really looking forward to doing the CP in a year or two!

skycraft

There are a few, I repeat few, days that you get sick of it and don't want to go back to work, and there are many days where you can't wait to return the following day. I still vacation in DL quite frequently after doing my CP. You just appreciate the parks in a different way than before, and in most ways after doing the CP, you gain enough Disney saavy to know how to make the vacation a truly worthwhile experience. For me, when I go back, I only get bad feelings from missing my old job and my old friends.

For me, it was the situation where sometimes I dreaded going to work and complained while I was there....but then on my days off I missed it :shrug: Overall, it is what you make it! I loved it and am still a seasonal cast member. Just remember to have the time of your life and take EVERY opportunity to meet new people, play at the parks, and participate in the activities that are planned for the CPs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom