Would you prefer that Transformers replace E.T. or T2 3-D?

javy2004

t-2!!! e.t. is timeless and it'll take another thing away for little children to ride and replace it with something little ones can't. that being said, i can't wait to get on transformers in hollywood this summer

JT3000

If I have to answer the question, T2 easily. I've never really enjoyed it. Certainly not as much as E.T.

If I'm being realistic, we aren't getting Transformers regardless.

captainkidd

T2 I haven't seen in a while and don't remember being impressed when I did see it.
ET they could scrap as the ride is just creepy and makes no sense for the 2nd half.

On the other hand, Transformers is the biggest pile of garbage movie series in a long time, so I have no desire to see that.

They've pretty much gutted the heart and soul of the original park at this point (Jaws, Back To The Future, Kongfrontation, Ghostbusters, Nickelodeon Studios). Doesn't much matter what they do anymore.

NemoRocks78

Seized
I'd rather not lose either, but if I have to choose one, I'd say T2:3D. It's had a good run. I originally wanted to see it replaced with a Transformers 3D show before the whole ride thing came along. :lol:

cheezbat

How about options C,D, or E? Option C: Replace Fear Factor Live. What a waste of space. Option D: in the open plot of land between the Simpsons and Men In Black. Or Option E: put it in the soundstage across from Shrek...the old Soundstage 54.

So many other options than continuing to get rid of attractions. The park needs to add, not just replace.

haveyoumetmark

How about options C,D, or E? Option C: Replace Fear Factor Live. What a waste of space. Option D: in the open plot of land between the Simpsons and Men In Black. Or Option E: put it in the soundstage across from Shrek...the old Soundstage 54.

So many other options than continuing to get rid of attractions. The park needs to add, not just replace.

I agree. FF Live/WWW stunt show needs to go. So much room wasted for such crap. Same goes for all the empty and unused sound stages and buildings throughout the park.

c-one

Am I the only one who's not exactly dying to see Transformers come to Orlando? The source material is bad enough, and judging by reviews and videos, it just seems a bit like Spiderman with less of the actual set interactivity that's so interesting. Guess I'll have to ride it to truly judge, though...

MKCP 1985

I wasn't impressed with ET the dark ride. :shrug: The Terminator show was pretty exciting.

That said, I knew someone who took his toddler to see the Terminator show first thing out of the chute, and the little tyke was so terrified they spent the rest of the day doing nothing but Barney the purple dinosaur. :lol: Served my friend right! :lol:

So, that being the case, which demographic will Transformers appeal to? Probably the Terminator crowd. Sad to say, T2 should give way if it is one or the other. There's few enough attractions for little ones at Universal.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Neither. Between Simpsons and MIB where it belongs.

That makes sense. And there's room for two potential E-tickets there. The funny thing about Universal's design as a "working studios," opposed to Disney's park designs, is that the attractions are located in obvious, unhidden soundstages, which can look kinda ugly when compared to even Islands of Adventure (admittedly more Disney-esque in that respect). MIB and Simpsons are no exception, although they are at least "dressed" with some level of theming. I would think that Universal would want to better theme anything new (like Harry Potter), but a well themed exterior might look kinda weird between MIB and Simpsons.

Can you go on google maps and show me where it is suppose to go. I've been to the Studios in June and I didn't see the space everyone has been saying a new attraction should go.

If T2 3-D is demolished (rumor is that it's on its way to the chopping block), combined with the recent demolition of the entertainment trailers backstage, Universal could build a soundstage almost the size of ET where the T2 theater is and extending back and to the side (toward Horror Make-Up). Of course, ET has the largest existing footprint, which makes we worry that it will indeed be the next to go. :cry:

On the other hand, Transformers is the biggest pile of garbage movie series in a long time, so I have no desire to see that.

They've pretty much gutted the heart and soul of the original park at this point (Jaws, Back To The Future, Kongfrontation, Ghostbusters, Nickelodeon Studios). Doesn't much matter what they do anymore.

I boggles my mind as to why such a large investment would be made in something that is (or was) a part of a "here and now pop culture," and not something with more of a legacy. Yes, I understand that the Transformers franchise is not "new" and there will always be some fans, it's not exactly near Spider-Man level fame and longevity. Like Jimmy Neutron, the Transformers ride will probably be gutted a few years from now to make way for some new - albeit temporary - franchise. :cry:

Aside from being a little bit small, Fear Factor will be adjacent to the Harry Potter expansion, which means Universal may want to leave it for even further Potter expansions in the years to come (along with announcing their new name, Harry Potter Studios). So while I agree that the show needs to go, I don't think they want to commit to anything on that land until after they've opened Potter.

The "soundstage" across from Shrek, ol' stage 54, is currently occupied by the Shrek character meet and greet, and used as the entertainment dress/break area for them. Also, it's pretty tiny. It wouldn't even hold a HHN house.

Adjacent to that is the old Herc & Xena building, which is currently being used for entertainment people because their trailers (behind Horror Make-Up) were demolished, as well as other miscellaneous storage. This area, too, isn't large enough to house any kind of substantial attraction. Whatever does go in there one day will likely remain a "show"-style attraction. The footprint itself is decent, but the multi-theater room-to-room design of the Herc show (like Carousel of Progress) didn't make the most impressive use of the space.

...which demographic will Transformers appeal to? Probably the Terminator crowd. Sad to say, T2 should give way if it is one or the other. There's few enough attractions for little ones at Universal.

That reasoning actually makes a lot of sense. :)

cheezbat

while I don't think the Transformers series is the best...I think the ride is a worthwhile addition. I'm very looking forward to checking it out in Hollywood next year. It's something I wouldn't mind seeing added to the Studios park. I really would like to see some more rides utilizing animatronics in the park though. With the loss of Kong, and now Jaws, thats two great rides with giant animatronics that have gone bye bye.

In my opinion, not only should another thrill ride be added, but a few more family rides and a WATER RIDE should be added. I hate visiting Universal on a hot busy day and have no water rides to cool me off with. This park is the ONLY one in the chain now without a big water attraction. IOA- Jurassic, Popeye, Dudley... USH- Jurassic. USJ- Jurassic and Jaws. USS- Jurassic rapids, Madagascar. That's a big hole in such a hot place.

jonnyc

I'd be sad to lose either, I think the T2 pre-show is terrific and the queue and first portion of the ET ride is incredibly immersive. But if I had to pick i'd lose T2 and also the passport part of the ET ride, because that is one of the most unnecessary things ever.

If this scenario was to bring something BTTF related into the park again then I would happily gut both attractions :lol:.

JT3000

I'd be sad to lose either, I think the T2 pre-show is terrific and the queue and first portion of the ET ride is incredibly immersive. But if I had to pick i'd lose T2 and also the passport part of the ET ride, because that is one of the most unnecessary things ever.

It isn't unnecessary. E.T. can't say your name without it.

Walt Disney1955

I agree. FF Live/WWW stunt show needs to go. So much room wasted for such crap. Same goes for all the empty and unused sound stages and buildings throughout the park.

Fear Factor just like any other reality show when this fad is done with for good will not age well. Kids still know about Jaws and don't even bother asking their parents whether or not it was a movie, because they already know it was. Ditto E.T. But in 25 years no child will know what Fear Factor was, American Idol, Big Brother, etc. Don't believe me? Ask a teenager today if he ever heard of Star Search? Or heck, even Ed McMahon. That's the equivalent of reality shows today. They don't age well. Get rid of it. At least Transformers was fresh the first movie, and anyone alive in the 1980s played with the robots.

But hey, leave E.T. alone. T-2 as well. Why scrap the classic movies?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Fear Factor just like any other reality show when this fad is done with for good will not age well. ... Get rid of it.

But hey, leave E.T. alone. T-2 as well. Why scrap the classic movies?

I agree that FF needs to go, but I don't think that we'll be seeing a demolition anytime soon for two reasons:

(1) Universal probably wants to leave open the possibility of turning their park into Harry Potter Studios (sarcasm), and thus does not want to build anything adjacent to the new Amity area expansion in the even that they want to expand further yet. They could expand HP toward Disaster, but FF would be the more obvious location, as it's tucked away and would be a better location in which to continue the HP theme.

(2) FF is the only stadium in the park. Yes, there's the main stage by Rockit, but special events like HHN, specifically Bill & Ted's, rely on having a stadium available. The open stage out front wouldn't work for back-to-back shows because they can't be blocked off from beyond the immediate audience, not to mention lack of seating. If they scrapped the FF facility, the only other stadium that they'd have available would be in Toon Lagoon; the Sinbad stage isn't versatile enough to create a "new" set over it without disrupting the existing set. And at least for HHN, we haven't seen IOA incorporated into HHN in quite a few years. They're definitely favoring USF as their event park.

There's the possibility of an indoor Grinchmas-style show, but it seems like the capacity would be lower (I don't know the exact numbers), and the general theater-like layout probably wouldn't work well for a rowdy, drunken crowd. And there's also the issue of pyro and other effects traditional to the show. It's much better suited for a stadium.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom