Would you prefer that Transformers replace E.T. or T2 3-D?

Bairstow

Agreed. But how often do we see preshow updates in theme park attractions before full out demolitions? :shrug: It's as if it's just easier for them to start from scratch. It's a shame, because the theater itself - and most of the show - remains superior to all other 3D movie attractions (IMO). I too would like to see an update before a demo.

It's frustrating, but I think you're right.
I guess it's budgetary concerns and bureaucratic inertia that keeps this sort of thing from being implemented.

Would anyone care if twister went?

Only Bill Paxton.

cheezbat

It's frustrating, but I think you're right.
I guess it's budgetary concerns and bureaucratic inertia that keeps this sort of thing from being implemented.

Only Bill Paxton.

HAHAHHAHA!!!!

Actually, one of my best friends loves Twister. I don't see why really. It's interesting, but not amazing. I would much rather see that go than ET or Terminator.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Actually, one of my best friends loves Twister. I don't see why really. It's interesting, but not amazing. I would much rather see that go than ET or Terminator.

Isn't that ("interesting, but not amazing") more or less the theme park standard? I mean, everyone loves WDW so much - after all, we are having this discussion on a board in what is essentially a WDW fanboy site - but how many things at the Magic Kingdom would you label as "amazing" over simply "interesting"? :shrug:

The thing that makes me a big Universal fan (I love Disney too), is that more and more of their attractions lean more toward amazing rather than just interesting.

oi-universal-studios-florida-390-550x308.jpg

Twister interests me for a couple of reasons, the least of which is that the movie was pretty amazing at the time of its release.

First, the attraction isn't 3D or a virtual simulator. The wind funnel in front of you exists in reality. It's like a science center exhibit on some serious steroids. That's one thing that I miss about the classic attractions like Kong and Jaws; the reality of the experience.

Second, I admire the creativity that went into replacing Ghostbusters while maintaining the original show building (soundstage). They even kept the balcony above the audience intact - it used to house the "ghost" animatronics for the pepper's ghost effect in Ghostbusters and now houses a huge semicircle of equally huge fans used to create the wind funnel. There's A LOT of space above the audience that they don't get to see that goes into creating the twister. So, although it's not reason enough to keep an attraction around, I do think that the engineers and creative team were quite clever with how they transformed Ghostbusters into Twister.:)

Captain Chaos

I watched a POV video of Transformers, and I can say color me unimpressed.. Spiderman is way better... If a Transformers ride is to come to Universal, I'd much rather it replace Twister if it has to replace a current attraction... But it seems fansites think T2 will be the attraction lost... In a perfect world, Transformers would go between MIB and Simpsons... But since there is backstage area there, who knows if that is even feasible...

jonnyc

Would the Twister show building be big enough to house an e-ticket level attraction, be it Transformers or something else?

My sister in particular comments 'couldn't they have just put that where Twister is?' when a new ride replaces a classic, and I thought they must have a good reason for keeping Twister over other attractions.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Would the Twister show building be big enough to house an e-ticket level attraction, be it Transformers or something else?

I would say it's barely enough room for the queue of an E-ticket level attraction.

The Twister soundstage is definitely one of the taller soundstages, and so it has a lot of volume space, but its footprint isn't very large so it would be difficult to try and squeeze a moving E-ticket ride into it. The soundstage - without major modification or demo - will likely remain to feature something that's show/experience-based, or maybe stationary-simulator-based. I do think that Matpez's "queue" comparison is a bit of an exaggeration, but given Spider-Man's queue size, we get his point.

For size comparison, here's Twister (red), Mummy (yellow), and Spider-Man (purple). These are just the major "soundstage" structures, and don't necessarily account for various preshow or maintenance area elements. Also, Twister's giftshop is included within its soundstage footprint. But this gives us a general idea of the space constraints compared to larger attractions.

uo_attraction_soundstages.jpg

haveyoumetmark

I actually really like Twister because of how dramatic it is lol. That said, I wouldn't be crushed to see it go. They could create something really innovative in its space. Doesn't have to be a massive ride as it is limited by its relatively small size and the HRRR coaster.

I like both attractions but I think Terminator would be my choice. While ET is dated and alot of kids may have no clue who he is - this one of very few "kid friendly" rides that a family can ride together and caters to children (with adults enjoying it too). I love ET and would hate to see it go!

I think they'll hold onto it until they had another kid suitable ride to replace it.

Yeah, the pre-show is very outdated. "Murder She Wrote" went off the air in 1996. I think that "new fangled" video conferencing is called Skype now and everyone does it with ease from their phones. I hate when attractions are so out of date like this. It wouldn't take alot of money or a massive overhaul for it to be contemporary again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom