Would you prefer that Transformers replace E.T. or T2 3-D?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree that FF needs to go, but I don't think that we'll be seeing a demolition anytime soon for two reasons:

(1) Universal probably wants to leave open the possibility of turning their park into Harry Potter Studios (sarcasm), and thus does not want to build anything adjacent to the new Amity area expansion in the even that they want to expand further yet. They could expand HP toward Disaster, but FF would be the more obvious location, as it's tucked away and would be a better location in which to continue the HP theme.

(2) FF is the only stadium in the park. Yes, there's the main stage by Rockit, but special events like HHN, specifically Bill & Ted's, rely on having a stadium available. The open stage out front wouldn't work for back-to-back shows because they can't be blocked off from beyond the immediate audience, not to mention lack of seating. If they scrapped the FF facility, the only other stadium that they'd have available would be in Toon Lagoon; the Sinbad stage isn't versatile enough to create a "new" set over it without disrupting the existing set. And at least for HHN, we haven't seen IOA incorporated into HHN in quite a few years. They're definitely favoring USF as their event park.

There's the possibility of an indoor Grinchmas-style show, but it seems like the capacity would be lower (I don't know the exact numbers), and the general theater-like layout probably wouldn't work well for a rowdy, drunken crowd. And there's also the issue of pyro and other effects traditional to the show. It's much better suited for a stadium.

What about the huge animal show theatre?

cheezbat

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think almost everyone forgets about it. And over in IOA they also have the Sindbad theater as well.

I say axe the Fear Factor theater and put Transformers in there...next to MIB...in WORLD EXPO where it would belong! :)

Timekeeper

Original Poster

That show is analogous to Sinbad in that there's very little stage space that could be used without disrupting the existing show set.

images

Anyone who has seen any of the HHN special event shows in this theater will understand how awkward of a backdrop it is. They've had magicians, hypnotists, dancers, etc. Most portions of the stage have pretty shallow depth. Bill & Ted's, or any other show requiring stage space, would not work in the Animal Actor's theater.

JT3000

You forgot Beetlejuice. It's not big enough to host B&T, I'm just saying...

I'd personally like to see the FFL theater enclosed, then given a new tenant that doesn't suck. Chances of that happening? Not very high. I'm somewhat surprised that it isn't being replaced by Potter, even if they do need it for HHN. That would have given them another decent chunk of land. You also have to wonder about the theater's practicality, being right next to the new apartment complex. They've already had to tone down the pyro for B&T.

AswaySuller

Fear Factor just like any other reality show when this fad is done with for good will not age well. Kids still know about Jaws and don't even bother asking their parents whether or not it was a movie, because they already know it was. Ditto E.T. But in 25 years no child will know what Fear Factor was, American Idol, Big Brother, etc. Don't believe me? Ask a teenager today if he ever heard of Star Search? Or heck, even Ed McMahon. That's the equivalent of reality shows today. They don't age well.

I agree, but I'm also not entirely convinced the potter saga will age well either. Like twilight probably won't it still feels like a fad to me.

Maybe that's because I'm not into it, I know the franchise is probably say 12 years old already but they've only just finished making them meaning its still fresh in our minds.

With no new books/movies it's out there on its own and that's where I'm not sure it'll last... Unlike ET/Jaws/bttf which were pretty much (the jaws sequels don't count) on their own!

Walt Disney1955

I agree, but I'm also not entirely convinced the potter saga will age well either. Like twilight probably won't it still feels like a fad to me.

Maybe that's because I'm not into it, I know the franchise is probably say 12 years old already but they've only just finished making them meaning its still fresh in our minds.

With no new books/movies it's out there on its own and that's where I'm not sure it'll last... Unlike ET/Jaws/bttf which were pretty much (the jaws sequels don't count) on their own!

I don't think anything is quite as entrenched in our minds as Star Wars, but Potter are films I believe will age very well. Twilight? Hard to say. But Potter is probably more popular than Lord of the Rings, and that would also be a very amazing attraction. I think the way Potter is built in Universal just adds to the popularity of the movies. I think it is one of the all-time great franchises that will never die out. If future generations love Star Wars I think the same can be said for Potter.

And look at other places, E.T. was the highest grossing box office film of all-time until Titanic came around. 30 years after the movie was made it's still famous and even the mere thought of it being replaced puts a lot of us on suicide watch. You ride E.T. it immediately takes you back to 10 years old. Potter will have that effect too, if it already doesn't.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
You forgot Beetlejuice. It's not big enough to host B&T, I'm just saying...

I'd personally like to see the FFL theater enclosed, then given a new tenant that doesn't suck. Chances of that happening? Not very high. I'm somewhat surprised that it isn't being replaced by Potter, even if they do need it for HHN. That would have given them another decent chunk of land. You also have to wonder about the theater's practicality, being right next to the new apartment complex. They've already had to tone down the pyro for B&T.

Good point. I guess that in my original analysis I should have more clearly stated that FFL is the only "blank canvas" theater in the park, meaning that its stage area and seating capacity are both large enough to accommodate a B&T-level show.

Speaking of the new complex that is literally a stones-throw away, does anyone know if there were any special covenants or other terms to the land sale agreement so that Universal's hands wouldn't be completely tied with respect to future developments and show elements (pyro and the related noise, etc.)?

I like how the previous B&T pre-show poked some fun at the fact that their neighbors across the street would be able to hear the audience shouting out expletives. Unfortunately, that was 1 of only 3 or 4 humorous moments in the show :cry:

BigThunderMatt

I don't care about T2, to be honest. It's nothing special. But get rid of E.T. and I will start a mob. Aside from the fact that it's now one of the last original attractions from the park's early days, it's still a great ride. The smell of the queue is one of my favorites and considering the ride's age, it's incredibly well-maintained. Not only that but I've read that Spielberg has threatened to sue Universal if they close the one in Orlando after they closed the one in Hollywood to put in the Mummy and then proceeded to close the one in Osaka as well even though they promised that the Hollywood closure would be the only E.T. attraction to be shuttered.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I remember when the Spielberg presence at Universal Studios was quite strong. It seemed that 1/3 of the attractions were based on films directed by or otherwise associated with Spielberg. It made sense to base attractions on the work of someone who is arguably one of the greatest storytellers of all time, being that the park concept was a movie-based studio, which is in the business of telling stories.

Now, in 2012, just as the Mayans predicted, 1/3 of UO will be associated with Harry Potter. :cry:

BigThunderMatt

Now, in 2012, just as the Mayans predicted, 1/3 of UO will be associated with Harry Potter. :cry:

I'm alright with that. As long as they use Potter as their revenue generator to continue funding expansion and innovation. It's no coincidence that before Potter they were stagnating pretty bad and now that the cash is rolling in, there seems to be no end to the capital investment.

cheezbat

I remember when the Spielberg presence at Universal Studios was quite strong. It seemed that 1/3 of the attractions were based on films directed by or otherwise associated with Spielberg. It made sense to base attractions on the work of someone who is arguably one of the greatest storytellers of all time, being that the park concept was a movie-based studio, which is in the business of telling stories.

While he still is a creative consultant, I would like to see more of him consulting again. Kong, Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park...all those awesome classics he had a hand in creating!

I like Potter, but I really would like to see new rides based off of Kong and Jaws.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
While he still is a creative consultant, I would like to see more of him consulting again. Kong, Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park...all those awesome classics he had a hand in creating!

I like Potter, but I really would like to see new rides based off of Kong and Jaws.

I'm with you! I don't mind Potter in and of itself; they are great creations that the customers obviously demand. But just because Disney has success with something like Nemo doesn't mean that they should start ripping out the classics in the MK just to build Nemoland. To the contrary, the Seas update and live musical were wonderful additions that didn't require sacrificing anything worth saving (unless you had a softspot for the Tarzan show).

If a park continuously flips an attraction (like Hanna Barbera / Neutron / Despicable), that has got to be an expensive undertaking, and if the profits of "what's hot today" keep going into flipping the next attraction, then how will profits ever rise? :shrug:

Sigh, I guess I just don't understand park economics. But it seems to me like the flipping would need to calm down before profits stabilize.

haveyoumetmark

I love ET a lot, but I think the demolition of Jaws is most devastating.

As far as the FFL theater goes, they don't need to level it, rather put something exciting inside. If B&T is seriously considered when they're thinking of future plans for the theater, then something needs to be re-evaluated because B&T has been getting progressively worse every year... unless I'm just too sober when I watch it. Honestly, I'm all for the Potter expansion if it's as well done as the one in IOA, because that's nothing short of incredible. The rest of IOA pales in comparison, especially with that picturesque view of Hogwarts over Hogsmeade when entering from LC. Plus the London portion of this expansion fits well among USF's different sections, many of which are cities.

Bairstow

Nether ( but I still want transformers here)

Same here.

While we're talking about Terminator 3D, has anyone noticed how dated the pre-show is? The show itself has aged quite nicely (as has Terminator 1 and 2, for that matter), but the pre-show is extremely dated because a lot of the technologies it talks about, like remote surgery, automated drones, videoconfering based teaching (Sylvan Learning Center has been doing that for years), etc. have long since become commonplace. It's like the last scene of the Carousel of Progress yet none of these technologies were even meant to be particularly far-flung at the time. Worse, it shows aircraft like the F-14 Tomcat and Space Shuttles which not only date from the 1970s, they're not even flying anymore!

It really shouldn't cost that much to update this part of the attraction and go to digital projection for the preshow while they're at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2iXQpmmRSU

dsc07127.jpg

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I love ET a lot, but I think the demolition of Jaws is most devastating.

As far as the FFL theater goes, they don't need to level it, rather put something exciting inside. If B&T is seriously considered when they're thinking of future plans for the theater, then something needs to be re-evaluated because B&T has been getting progressively worse every year...

I agree with you. It seems to have followed in the footsteps of SNL ...just progressively getting worse. And the sad part is, where the show suffers is where the show is most easily fixed - in the writing. They need to quit this "buddy system" of planning the show and actually consider other, more creative, and more humorous writers. Heck, they've got plenty of aspiring talent within the company (the actors who voice the Donkey m&g are pretty talented), but it's as if they refuse to tap into that. It almost seems like a form of fraternal arrogance. :brick:

While we're talking about Terminator 3D, has anyone noticed how dated the pre-show is?
It really shouldn't cost that much to update this part of the attraction and go to digital projection for the preshow while they're at it.

Agreed. But how often do we see preshow updates in theme park attractions before full out demolitions? :shrug: It's as if it's just easier for them to start from scratch. It's a shame, because the theater itself - and most of the show - remains superior to all other 3D movie attractions (IMO). I too would like to see an update before a demo.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
While we're discussing Transformers, I don't think that its similarity to SpiderMan has been discussed yet.

Wasn't one of the arguments against bringing the Indiana Jones attraction from Disneyland to WDW that the ride itself is too similar to (a virtual copy of) the Dinosaur ride?

Well, here are some photos of the existing Transformers ride. Do these remind you of anything already at UO?

transformers-ride-vehicles-big.jpg

3-d-glasses-ready-big.jpg

embarking-on-the-transformers-ride-big.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
While we're discussing Transformers, I don't think that its similarity to SpiderMan has been discussed yet.

because we were avoiding that rat hole.. :)

we all already know transformers is essentially an updated clone of spiderman. It's a nice 'fresh' brand to use to bring 'spiderman' to the other parks that don't have it and doesn't have licensing issues with Disney or others.

haveyoumetmark

I think it could work. MK is about to have 3 omnimovers, in addition to the 2 at Epcot. Not to mention the rumored headliner replacing Jaws sounds very similar to Mummy. I'd be more concerned about the amount of 3-D/simulator rides at USF: Shrek, Despicable Me, T2, Simpsons AND Transformers seems like a bit much. Otherwise they could play with the appearance of the vehicles and the load area to further differentiate the ride from its sister at IOA. That is, of course, with the expectation that the entire ride is not an exact Spidey clone - track layout and all. I was under the impression that Indy and Dinosaur were the exact same ride with different props.

AswaySuller

haveyoumetmark;4844588 I was under the impression that Indy and Dinosaur were the exact same ride with different props. [/QUOTE said:
You'd be right, I think one turn is different.
Really goes to show how important theming and story can be and what a difference it makes.

AswaySuller

Would anyone care if twister went?

Just throwing that into the mix, although i suppose what could be done with that building is now obviously limited because of HRRR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom