Would it have been better if Disney shut the park to refurbish.

habuma

It looks like so much is closed for redevelopment there is construction almost everywhere. Would it have been cheaper, faster to shut the whole park down and reopen it when everything is finished ?

I'm a little late to this discussion, but felt compelled to chime in anyway...

Let's review the things that are closed due to construction and see how they impact my typical visit to DHS:
  • Backstage tour : The only time I ever did this was in 1998. Haven't been compelled to do it again.
  • LMA : Did this once. That was plenty.
  • Studio Catering Co. : The food was okay and was our go-to place for quick service in DHS. But we'll survive without it.
  • HISTK playground : Went in there only once because my kids insisted. It was kinda neat, I suppose, for what it was supposed to be...but I generally think of playgrounds within a theme park as a waste of time. So happy to see it gone.
  • Streets of America : I always enjoyed walking down SoA, but having it gone isn't much of a deal-breaker for me. Except...
  • Osborne Lights : This is the one thing I'll miss most. So sad to see it go.
  • Mulch, Sweat, and Shears : I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed MS&S. With SoA going away, I figured they'd be gone, too. Will miss them.
  • The restrooms and shops in that area : Although I have been known to occasionally visit them, I think I'll miss the penny press machines back there the most.
So, with this perspective, other than a light show that only took place 2 months of the year and a cover band that I could rarely convince my family to stop and watch, my DHS visits won't be dramatically different now than they were before the construction. The construction generally only affects a corner of the park that I usually didn't step foot in anyway.

Therefore, DHS should remain open so that I may continue to enjoy Star Tours, Indiana Jones stunt show, 50's Prime Time, Sci-Fi Dine-In, Citizens of Hollywood, Great Movie Ride, Toy Story Midway Mania, Rock 'n Rollercoaster, Muppet*Vision 3D, Tower of Terror, Fantasmic!, Star Wars/Jingle BAM nighttime shows, One Man's Dream (while it lasts), Star Wars Launch Bay, and (yes) even the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast shows. And on those days I'm in other parks, DHS should remain open as a place that other WDW guests go so that my chosen park of the day is that much less crowded.

Last edited:

habuma

Following up on what I just said...I did a quick review of the attractions in Animal Kingdom and Epcot. What constitutes an "attraction" is somewhat subjective, so I included shows and exhibits (such as Launch Bay or AK's animal trails), and then excluded M&Gs, restaurants, and playgrounds. By count alone (disregarding popularity and capacity), I found that DHS and AK have the same number of attractions, while Epcot has only one more than DHS and AK. (Again, there is some subjectivity in what I deemed an attraction, so your count may differ from mine.)

I've not bothered figuring capacity into the equation, as that'd take more time than I have now. Maybe later I'll do a study on that.

Popularity is somewhat subjective, too, although I'd argue that DHS has more attractions that are "popular" (where "popular" means rarely empty and usually with a line or a decent attendance) than Epcot. This is purely from recollection and observation, not a hard study on the subject. AK might edge out DHS on the number of "popular" attractions, but if so, only slightly.

Goofyernmost

Following up on what I just said...I did a quick review of the attractions in Animal Kingdom and Epcot. What constitutes an "attraction" is somewhat subjective, so I included shows and exhibits (such as Launch Bay or AK's animal trails), and then excluded M&Gs, restaurants, and playgrounds. By count alone (disregarding popularity and capacity), I found that DHS and AK have the same number of attractions, while Epcot has only one more than DHS and AK. (Again, there is some subjectivity in what I deemed an attraction, so your count may differ from mine.)

I've not bothered figuring capacity into the equation, as that'd take more time than I have now. Maybe later I'll do a study on that.

Popularity is somewhat subjective, too, although I'd argue that DHS has more attractions that are "popular" (where "popular" means rarely empty and usually with a line or a decent attendance) than Epcot. This is purely from recollection and observation, not a hard study on the subject. AK might edge out DHS on the number of "popular" attractions, but if so, only slightly.
Sure but then how can we all get upset about having to pay for half a park and once again be able to point out just how evil Disney Co. is. You're taking away everyones venting topic. If this year has shown us nothing else it certainly has shown us that things don't have to be true to be a heated topic of discussion.

TomHendricks

Does anyone know if Lightning McQueen and Mater M&G will return somewhere else in the park? I figure not but thought I would ask anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom