Would it have been better if Disney shut the park to refurbish.

Florida_is_hot

Original Poster
It looks like so much is closed for redevelopment there is construction almost everywhere. Would it have been cheaper, faster to shut the whole park down and reopen it when everything is finished ?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
It looks like so much is closed for redevelopment there is construction almost everywhere. Would it have been cheaper, faster to shut the whole park down and reopen it when everything is finished ?
And yet, for some people there is much to enjoy.
On our recent trip, I had scheduled two half-days at DHS. Hubby enjoyed Launch Bay and the March of the Order so much that we used one of our later "flex days" to go back for a third visit.
There is still plenty to do at the Studios. For us, more so than at AK. To each his own.

And before the grammar police descend upon you, you may want to change the thread title to "Disney should have shut DHS to refurbish.

Florida_is_hot

Original Poster
It would go much faster, but yes there is many things that are not scheduled to close and people still go and have fun.
I know that Disney will not close the park, because they did not and the work has already started.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It would go much faster, but yes there is many things that are not scheduled to close and people still go and have fun.
I know that Disney will not close the park, because they did not and the work has already started.
How exactly could it go any faster if the park were shut down? The work is completely walled off with easy access to both build sites from behind. Would be different if it was in the middle of the park, but they aren't.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It really won't speed up construction much since the majority of the construction is around the edges of the park and they seem to be ok with doing construction during park hours. Even with things closed, it is still one of the most attended theme parks in the world, so they don't really have an incentive to close it. As someone else mentioned there is the issue of the employees. I don't think they would be able to absorb all the employees into other areas so they would have to deal with the issues of re-hiring and re-training them when the park re-opens, not to mention the PR problems that a large number of layoffs would cause.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
How would it go faster?
Unlike MK's hub refurb or Mine Train construction, SWL and TSL are both being constructed in areas that are not accessible to guests, and therefore not restricted to after park hours.

If your argument is that so many attractions have been closed, that is certainly valid for many people. On the flip side, numerous new entertainment options have been added.

Again, for us, DHS was a blast this year. In the weeks since we've been back, Hubby has re-watched all of the seven Star Wars movies at least once ... episodes IV - VI twice!

brb1006

Back in the day when Disneyland and WDW used to open during certain days of the week. When it comes to upcoming attractions or refurbishments they would have more time. Such as some of the older attractions opening or taking up to a few months to build compared to a year or two. Then again that was back in the during the 50's and 60's for Disneyland and 70's and 80's for WDW.

Marlins1

You can still have a very enjoyable half day or evening at DHS as part of an overall WDW vacation. If you think of it as a complete destination or full day theme park I'm pretty sure you won't be happy with it right now. Personally I always felt that way about DHS. Hoping that changes in a few years.

roj2323

If they had waited to make a lot of these changes all at the same time it might have been worth it to close the park for 6months to knock it all out at the same time but the negative press and impacts to not only guests but the several thousand people employed there would make closing the park a real problem. Even the one day closure caused by the hurricane caused chaos.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If they had waited to make a lot of these changes all at the same time it might have been worth it to close the park for 6months to knock it all out at the same time but the negative press and impacts to not only guests but the several thousand people employed there would make closing the park a real problem. Even the one day closure caused by the hurricane caused chaos.
So again - since ALL of the construction is not in ANY guest area - how does closing the park speed anything up?

roj2323

So again - since ALL of the construction is not in ANY guest area - how does closing the park speed anything up?
There's actually quite a bit that has and currently is being done in guest areas. I'm not even taking about the toystory/starwars area of the remodel that's going to take several years regardless.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Does anyone know if an undertaking of remodeling/re-theming of a theme park of this size has ever been done before while a park has remained open?

DCA which had Carsland, Little Mermaid, major reworking of the Paradise Pier area included ride removal, replacement and re-themeing, Carthay Cricle Resturant a complete re-do of their "main street" which involved closing the street for a couple months, World of Color, and the addition of the Red Car Trolly all going on in around the same time frame.

That park ended up with these construction wall cattle chutes for some time:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
DCA which had Carsland, Little Mermaid, major reworking of the Paradise Pier area included ride removal, replacement and re-themeing, Carthay Cricle Resturant a complete re-do of their "main street" which involved closing the street for a couple months, World of Color, and the addition of the Red Car Trolly all going on in around the same time frame.

That park ended up with these construction wall cattle chutes for some time:

Yup, we were there during that time. Still had a great time at DCA on multiple days.

21stamps

You can still have a very enjoyable half day or evening at DHS as part of an overall WDW vacation. If you think of it as a complete destination or full day theme park I'm pretty sure you won't be happy with it right now. Personally I always felt that way about DHS. Hoping that changes in a few years.
We have an open to close day planned and I'm worried that is not enough time! I'm trying to figure out if we can make it back on another day.

Brian Swan

Not to derail this into a full vs half day discussion.. OK, maybe I am... If you've never been to the park before and want to go on all of the rides and see all of the shows, have a TS lunch, spend some time in the shops, watch the parade (such as it is), and see F! and/or SW FW, it's going to take you at least most of a day to fit it all in. If you're just going for "the rides", then yeah, it's not going to take you all day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom