Would it have been better if Disney shut the park to refurbish.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Know what they could do with all that talented staff? FIX THE OTHER PARKS TOO! Have a ton of service techs idled because DHS was closed? Put them in the other parks to fill out the ranks and increase the output of those teams.

As logical as this proposal is it will never happen, mainly because of the 'Guests will always come mindset of TDO' Good enough is the mantra of 'Today's Disney' Yes good enough to keep the ATM running for a while longer after 2017 when Iger floats off on his golden parachute who cares what happens then.

Goofyernmost

As logical as this proposal is it will never happen, mainly because of the 'Guests will always come mindset of TDO' Good enough is the mantra of 'Today's Disney' Yes good enough to keep the ATM running for a while longer after 2017 when Iger floats off on his golden parachute who cares what happens then.
What they are doing now is not even illogical. You just don't like it but it doesn't mean that others do not. It was never a full day park even from the beginning and if you think that there aren't enough "rides" now, remember back when it opened. All I remember as rides back then were GMR and BLT. Everything else was a show or demonstration (walk through) of how movies were created. Charging full price now is absolutely no different (other then the charge itself) then it was the day it opened. You had to like what was there for it to be worth it to you. First timers didn't know if it was worth it until they entered. Everyone else that went back again, knew and decided it was worth the money. It is no different today.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It blows my mind when people can't discern the difference between a 3 hour tour... and a 5 minute M&G. Both are attractions right? Yet it's not about attraction COUNT - it's about how much there is to do that engages and keeps people's interest.

I swear sometimes I could just give you a dollar instead of $20.. and just tell you 'what are you complaining about... they are both money!!'

People so focused on the WRONG THINGS.

Jon81uk

It blows my mind when people can't discern the difference between a 3 hour tour... and a 5 minute M&G. Both are attractions right? Yet it's not about attraction COUNT - it's about how much there is to do that engages and keeps people's interest.

I swear sometimes I could just give you a dollar instead of $20.. and just tell you 'what are you complaining about... they are both money!!'

People so focused on the WRONG THINGS.

DHS hasn't had a three hour tour for 20 years. But then when it stopped being a full tour they started adding rides like Tower of Terror and Rock'n'Rollercoaster.

I agree you can't compare a meet to a full attractions. But the backlot tour was a shadow of its former self and the only other major attraction that closed was the motors stunt show.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree you can't compare a meet to a full attractions. But the backlot tour was a shadow of its former self and the only other major attraction that closed was the motors stunt show.

It's the sum of a thousand cuts... situation. It's 'the straw that broke the camel's back' situation. It's going to become what DCA v1 was.. a place people go hit their 2-3 favorites and then leave. Thankfully they have the SW show to anchor people there and the usual 'we need someplace we can get an ADR'. I bet if those two things didn't apply.. the park would be far worse off.

Jon81uk

It's the sum of a thousand cuts... situation. It's 'the straw that broke the camel's back' situation. It's going to become what DCA v1 was.. a place people go hit their 2-3 favorites and then leave. Thankfully they have the SW show to anchor people there and the usual 'we need someplace we can get an ADR'. I bet if those two things didn't apply.. the park would be far worse off.

I'm still not seeing the 1000 cuts, several new M&Gs opened (I know not attractions), some M&Gs got moved and moved again (Mickey & Minnie) and some films have been replaced (animation tour to launch bay). The only cuts other than backlot tour, stunt show and honey i shrunk playground are sets of streets that you can walk around.
With the new Star Wars stage shows and storm troopers, plus the night time spectacular I felt there was a reasonable amount of newness at DHS already compared to my last visit. Once the two new lands open in four years time it should feel a different place again. Then they can demolish the animation offices and fix the northern end of the park.

But it really didn't feel like there was 1000 cuts to me, more like four new things I hadn't seen before.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But it really didn't feel like there was 1000 cuts to me, more like four new things I hadn't seen before.

BatB - how many more times do you need to see that? I mean.. its only been running for 25 years...
F! - 18 years.. and the worst version of the show
Indy - same show for 27 years!
Muppets - essentially the same show for 25 years
Mermaid - same show for 24 years...

The loss of the daytime parade...
The loss of the anchor fireworks..
Most of the roaming entertainment (Think TMNT, PowerRangers, HSM, etc)

When one says 'sum of a thousand cuts' - it's an idiom about how the small, but slow and steady damage adds up... not necessarily about 'removals'.

For all the park's main fixed attractions.. TSMM and ST are the only ones with any reasonable update in the last two decades... beyond that we need to call the Sing-alone, updates to Disney Junior the now fixed Jedi Temple the 'updates' this park has gotten.

Imagine if a 35yr old couple w/o kids came up to you and said "hey, last time I went to Disney was like 2005... tell me what is new at DHS I should check out??" - Try to answer that in a way that would make someone excited. Beyond TSMM... and an updated ST.. you can tell them to go see some fake movie props, and check out the evening show.. Sounds amazballs eh?

Now imagine you are a person who goes every 1-3 years.. how are you not bored out of your mind at DHS by now? I get no satisfaction from watching Indy run away from the ball now... after the 30+ time..

Jon81uk

BatB - how many more times do you need to see that? I mean.. its only been running for 25 years...
F! - 18 years.. and the worst version of the show
Indy - same show for 27 years!
Muppets - essentially the same show for 25 years
Mermaid - same show for 24 years...

The loss of the daytime parade...
The loss of the anchor fireworks..
Most of the roaming entertainment (Think TMNT, PowerRangers, HSM, etc)

When one says 'sum of a thousand cuts' - it's an idiom about how the small, but slow and steady damage adds up... not necessarily about 'removals'.

For all the park's main fixed attractions.. TSMM and ST are the only ones with any reasonable update in the last two decades... beyond that we need to call the Sing-alone, updates to Disney Junior the now fixed Jedi Temple the 'updates' this park has gotten.

Imagine if a 35yr old couple w/o kids came up to you and said "hey, last time I went to Disney was like 2005... tell me what is new at DHS I should check out??" - Try to answer that in a way that would make someone excited. Beyond TSMM... and an updated ST.. you can tell them to go see some fake movie props, and check out the evening show.. Sounds amazballs eh?

Now imagine you are a person who goes every 1-3 years.. how are you not bored out of your mind at DHS by now? I get no satisfaction from watching Indy run away from the ball now... after the 30+ time..

Oh I've said before about how much BatB needs replacing along with the other shows. I completly agree, but while those shows are still running so they are not a cut. Just something that needs updating.

I agree the parade should come back, but that was eight years ago.

I last went to WDW in 2010 and then visited last month.

As I said we had the Frozen sing-a-long, Star Wars stage show (new to us but we didn't watch either) then we enjoyed Phasma and the Storm Trooper March, updates to Star Tours, Olaf meet, Chewy meet, Kylo Ren meet and the night time spectacular.
In fact I think more had changed between our 2010 and 2016 visits than between our 2006 and 2010 visits.

So yes a lot of the parks shows still need replacing, but there is still enough small additions for now. But I see Toy Story land as something that should have happened five years ago.

flynnibus

Premium Member
MuppetVision isn't a live show, it's a movie, and has held up brilliantly.
With the new Star Wars shows and the terrific new Muppet live show at MK, there's no shortage of live stuff to see.

If you really think that... please apply at Disney. You've done a great job convincing yourself they are the best evah.

And 'show' has a wider meaning than simply a live performance..:rolleyes:

The film, setting, and effects in Muppets are quite dated and offer little repeatability beyond re-familiarizing after a long gap. Really, the pre-show of the Muppets is better than the show.. and always has been.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh I've said before about how much BatB needs replacing along with the other shows. I completly agree, but while those shows are still running so they are not a cut. Just something that needs updating.

I agree the parade should come back, but that was eight years ago.

I last went to WDW in 2010 and then visited last month.

As I said we had the Frozen sing-a-long, Star Wars stage show (new to us but we didn't watch either) then we enjoyed Phasma and the Storm Trooper March, updates to Star Tours, Olaf meet, Chewy meet, Kylo Ren meet and the night time spectacular.
In fact I think more had changed between our 2010 and 2016 visits than between our 2006 and 2010 visits.

So yes a lot of the parks shows still need replacing, but there is still enough small additions for now. But I see Toy Story land as something that should have happened five years ago.

Yes, DHS's stagnation is not a new problem... as illustrated by the dates above :)
As I said, the idiom is about the slow, drawn out, small actions that bring the larger thing down.

You can put some sprinkles on top... but the cake is still rotten underneath. The park is in need of updates in nearly every dimension.. nevermind the elephant in the room (purpose, title, focus). Bringing it back to the thread topic... that's why I think a shutdown and REBOOT should have been in DHS's forecast. This 'just a bit of change here, a bit of change there' that doesn't actually fix the fundamental problems will continue to lead to a confused and disjointed park.

Otterhead

If you really think that... please apply at Disney. You've done a great job convincing yourself they are the best evah.
That's cute. What I'm saying is that they've added more live stuff recently, and that the new Muppet show is very well done. Have you seen it?
The film, setting, and effects in Muppets are quite dated and offer little repeatability beyond re-familiarizing after a long gap.
I guess that depends on your enjoyment of The Muppets. I've seen it dozens of times and it's always enjoyable. To each their own.

Otterhead

We are talking DHS
...where there were live Star Wars shows every hour or so when I was there last week, as well as the new Jedi Training experience for kids.

And they've seemingly stepped up the "Streetmosphere" -- I was there for two days and they were entertaining guests on the streets both days pretty constantly.

Fantasmic desperately needs a refresh (the Pocahontas scene is very dated) and I'm amazed Indiana Jones is still packing houses, though.

Goofyernmost

And 'show' has a wider meaning than simply a live performance..:rolleyes:

The film, setting, and effects in Muppets are quite dated and offer little repeatability beyond re-familiarizing after a long gap. Really, the pre-show of the Muppets is better than the show.. and always has been.
If it has no repeat-ability, how come so many people see it again and again and again. Are you the only one that has a limited ability to enjoy something more then once. It is a classic, just like so many others that you get all bent out of shape about if anyone talks about replacing them. What it actually boils down to is that YOU are tired of it and YOU are going to bad mouth Disney until YOU get your own way and they clear out the things YOU don't like and put in things that YOU do. However, I will give YOU credit that you have done a terrific job of convincing YOURSELF, that Disney does everything wrong and YOU are the only savior, if they would only listen. I'd venture a guess that there are still millions of people that have never seen it once. Heck there are probably a number of them still waiting to be born that would enjoy it.... but, alas, tough for them... YOU are tired of it.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think a lot of us on this site are overlooking the "once in a lifetime" nature of Disney World. There are a lot of local visitors (like myself) who come often. and plenty of others who come once every 3-6 years as semi regulars. But then a large percent of people visiting Disney World are here once every 10-20 years if not once in their lifetime. If I got to come to Disney World once in my life, If he devastated missing Fantasmic, Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride, and Rock n Rollercoaster just because there's mmajor projects being built in the complete other side of the park.

I agree all these rides and much of the park needs major updates, but there is a reason they dont close everything down at once to fix it. If Fantasmic was closed for a couple months, people would understand if they git to do Star Wars Land and Towere of Terror at least.

Its the same reason I couldnt imagine all three mountains getting fixed at the same time in Magic Kingdom. Hopefully they move to Space Mountain after Thunder is done.

Also that's why we don't get a lot of seasonal overlays. If you only come to Magic Kingdom once in your life, you want to ride haunted mansion, not nightmare before christmas.

So, closing an entire park will never happen. I agree it would help, but that is just too much closed at once and too big a chunk of the resort to miss for a once in a llifetime trip.

Goofyernmost

I think a lot of us on this site are overlooking the "once in a lifetime" nature of Disney World. There are a lot of local visitors (like myself) who come often. and plenty of others who come once every 3-6 years as semi regulars. But then a large percent of people visiting Disney World are here once every 10-20 years if not once in their lifetime. If I got to come to Disney World once in my life, If he devastated missing Fantasmic, Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride, and Rock n Rollercoaster just because there's mmajor projects being built in the complete other side of the park.

I agree all these rides and much of the park needs major updates, but there is a reason they dont close everything down at once to fix it. If Fantasmic was closed for a couple months, people would understand if they git to do Star Wars Land and Towere of Terror at least.

Its the same reason I couldnt imagine all three mountains getting fixed at the same time in Magic Kingdom. Hopefully they move to Space Mountain after Thunder is done.

Also that's why we don't get a lot of seasonal overlays. If you only come to Magic Kingdom once in your life, you want to ride haunted mansion, not nightmare before christmas.

So, closing an entire park will never happen. I agree it would help, but that is just too much closed at once and too big a chunk of the resort to miss for a once in a llifetime trip.
I don't even agree, considering the logistics of the change, that it would help anything by shutting the whole park down. It would just add more people to MK, Epcot and AK. All those that go to DHS in any given day can't be expected to spend their day in the hotel room because a park is closed. As someone alluded to... that's like closing a restaurant to wash a plate.

We visited on Tuesday and were very disappointed. It's half a park now. It's never been my favourite to be honest, but it's awful now. If it wasn't for ToT I probably wouldn't bother visiting at all. I've/we've never seen a single second of Star Wars so it'll still be poor (in our opinion) when it's finished.
Shame.

Goofyernmost

We visited on Tuesday and were very disappointed. It's half a park now. It's never been my favourite to be honest, but it's awful now. If it wasn't for ToT I probably wouldn't bother visiting at all. I've/we've never seen a single second of Star Wars so it'll still be poor (in our opinion) when it's finished.
Shame.
Just think how disappointed you would have been when it opened up. No ToT, no RcRC. The only ride was the GMR and the Backlot tour. You could do a lot of walking though and many shows and demonstrations that killed time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom