Worst Universal Orlando Ride? (Poll)

Which is the worst ride at Universal Orlando?

• Total voters

Professortango1

See I don't get why people were so disappointed when they announced the ride system and everything almost a year before it opened. If people would have done about 5 minutes of research you would have known it was going to be an expanded version of the studio tour scene from Hollywood. It was never going to be a coaster, or a thrill ride yall built that hype yourselves not Universal. If you were disappointed that was your fault for not reading what the attraction was going to be when they announced it in the first place.
View attachment 383765

I wasn't expecting a coaster, I was expecting something similar, but not so bare bones. Some practical scenes, some screen based action like we got. I didn't think we were getting a copy of the mediocre tram moment from Hollywood inside on the best facades with AA drivers. They dressed up the attraction so well that I was so excited when boarding. Then, oh...its just the exact same thing as Hollywood. Nothing really more to it.

Kong in Hollywood isn't an attraction, it is one part of an attraction. Same with F&F. Orlando, takes those parts, and makes them standalone attractions without adding anything. At least Jaws and Kongfrontation expanded the concept out to multiple scenes. Even Disaster had more to it. Kong and F&F are not full attractions.

Professortango1

How could Kong be more disappointing than F&F?

Kong I had hopes for with the trackless vehicles, AA drivers, amazing queue, and killer facade. Universal seemed to be stepping up. Then they gave us a lame partial attraction. With F&F, I knew Universal would be giving us the Kong treatment, so I never bothered to be excited for it.

General Mayhem

I wasn't expecting a coaster, I was expecting something similar, but not so bare bones. Some practical scenes, some screen based action like we got. I didn't think we were getting a copy of the mediocre tram moment from Hollywood inside on the best facades with AA drivers. They dressed up the attraction so well that I was so excited when boarding. Then, oh...its just the exact same thing as Hollywood. Nothing really more to it.

Kong in Hollywood isn't an attraction, it is one part of an attraction. Same with F&F. Orlando, takes those parts, and makes them standalone attractions without adding anything. At least Jaws and Kongfrontation expanded the concept out to multiple scenes. Even Disaster had more to it. Kong and F&F are not full attractions.
I don't remember Hollywood's version having AA's.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
To everyone talking about E.T. on here, that is my mistake. I originally had Minion Mayhem on here instead and did E.T. cause on the Best E Ticket poll, people put as one of the worst so I wanted to see how it would be on here. However, it doesn’t deserve to, my mistake, just pretend that one isn’t on there, sorry!

JT3000

Kong in Hollywood isn't an attraction, it is one part of an attraction. Same with F&F. Orlando, takes those parts, and makes them standalone attractions without adding anything.

Without adding anything? The queue scenes, the outdoor gate scene, the bats, the creature pit, the Kong AA; none of those things are in Hollywood. The problem isn't that they didn't add anything to Hollywood's experience, it's that they didn't flesh it out enough. There should have been at least a couple more scenes, preferably practical ones, but evidently they didn't have the space for it. Kong has one of the smaller show buildings on property (which just makes the gargantuan one for F&F even more laughable.)

Last edited:

Professortango1

Without adding anything? The queue scenes, the outdoor gate scene, the bats, the creature pit, the Kong AA; none of those things are in Hollywood. The problem isn't that they didn't add anything to Hollywood's experience, it's that they didn't flesh it out enough. There should have been at least a couple more scenes, preferably practical ones, but evidently they didn't have the space for it. Kong has one of the smaller show buildings on property (which just makes the gargantuan one for F&F even more laughable.)

Queue scenes are a queue, not part of the ride. It makes the wait interesting and builds to the ride, but a great queue doesn't make up for a lackluster ride whereas a great ride can easily make up for a lackluster queue. The gate isn't a scene, its entering the show building just like you do in Hollywood. Its great looking, but we see it from the walkway, its just like going up the lifthill in Splash's mill. Its well done, but not a scene. The opening sequence is okay. Too screen based for an attraction that's screens. Adding the creature pit was a natural extension of the scene, but its still part of the same movie. Its like having a missing 30 second sequence in an extended cut. Sure, its cool, but it still feels like the exact same movie. Kong AA is great looking, but he does nothing. I have no idea how the designers wanted us to feel with him. Are we scared, are we thankful, are we trying to sneak by? He's just kind of there. And then the ride ends right after that moment.

General Mayhem

Queue scenes are a queue, not part of the ride. It makes the wait interesting and builds to the ride, but a great queue doesn't make up for a lackluster ride whereas a great ride can easily make up for a lackluster queue. The gate isn't a scene, its entering the show building just like you do in Hollywood. Its great looking, but we see it from the walkway, its just like going up the lifthill in Splash's mill. Its well done, but not a scene. The opening sequence is okay. Too screen based for an attraction that's screens. Adding the creature pit was a natural extension of the scene, but its still part of the same movie. Its like having a missing 30 second sequence in an extended cut. Sure, its cool, but it still feels like the exact same movie. Kong AA is great looking, but he does nothing. I have no idea how the designers wanted us to feel with him. Are we scared, are we thankful, are we trying to sneak by? He's just kind of there. And then the ride ends right after that moment.
Did you want him to pick up the vehicle and throw it? Do a dance? It's freakin' Kong up close and personal. The end product is exactly what I expected the ride to be and so should have a lot of people. The Kong AA is extremely complex and is able to create multiple facial expressions that most figures cannot. I am grateful for what we were given with Skull Island because they couldn't gone the Hollywood route and added nothing at all.

Professortango1

Did you want him to pick up the vehicle and throw it? Do a dance? It's freakin' Kong up close and personal. The end product is exactly what I expected the ride to be and so should have a lot of people. The Kong AA is extremely complex and is able to create multiple facial expressions that most figures cannot. I am grateful for what we were given with Skull Island because they couldn't gone the Hollywood route and added nothing at all.

I want his appearance to impact our experience, not just "oh look, there he is. Yup. And please exit the ride vehicle and watch your heads." My issue isn't with how great the AA is, it is the storytelling. The Kong AA should have been a bridge between the middle scene and a new finale with screens and practical effects. Or make it like the boulder scene in IJA with the transport pinned down as Kong prepares to attack and we narrowly escape. Something.

And I'm glad you were expecting mediocrity. I was expecting a great ride following Universal's recent efforts. I was sadly disappointed.

General Mayhem

I want his appearance to impact our experience, not just "oh look, there he is. Yup. And please exit the ride vehicle and watch your heads." My issue isn't with how great the AA is, it is the storytelling. The Kong AA should have been a bridge between the middle scene and a new finale with screens and practical effects. Or make it like the boulder scene in IJA with the transport pinned down as Kong prepares to attack and we narrowly escape. Something.

And I'm glad you were expecting mediocrity. I was expecting a great ride following Universal's recent efforts. I was sadly disappointed.
I think it's a great ride, and I was not expecting mediocrity in the slightest. I just think people make up an idea in their heads of what something could be, and when the end product isn't that they get upset. It's like when Little Mermaid opened and people for some reason thought it was going to be like Pirates. I've said it before they told everyone what the ride system, and experience was going to be well ahead of time. I'm not sure where people are pulling this "amazing and physical" concept from. If you were expecting Indiana Jones Adventure then that was you making that assumption, and you can't be mad at Universal because they outright said it would not be that.

Professortango1

I think it's a great ride, and I was not expecting mediocrity in the slightest. I just think people make up an idea in their heads of what something could be, and when the end product isn't that they get upset. It's like when Little Mermaid opened and people for some reason thought it was going to be like Pirates. I've said it before they told everyone what the ride system, and experience was going to be well ahead of time. I'm not sure where people are pulling this "amazing and physical" concept from. If you were expecting Indiana Jones Adventure then that was you making that assumption, and you can't be mad at Universal because they outright said it would not be that.

Universal was very tight lipped about what Kong would be. The facade and entry into the show building doesn't help as it looks like it will be a grand scale adventure. Then, we get the tram tour experience.

As for TLM, the facade is what hurt that attraction as well. A grand facade for a small attraction really sets you up for disapointing fans. TLM has plenty of problems which keep it from being a great FL Darkride, but the facade certainly did it no favors.

All in all, for Kong, I doubt I'll ever ride it again as the most interesting part of the ride can be seen from the walkway. F&F I knew would be garbage, but its sad to see Universal drop the ball with such a great property and the great momentum they had before Kong.

General Mayhem

Universal was very tight lipped about what Kong would be. The facade and entry into the show building doesn't help as it looks like it will be a grand scale adventure. Then, we get the tram tour experience.

As for TLM, the facade is what hurt that attraction as well. A grand facade for a small attraction really sets you up for disapointing fans. TLM has plenty of problems which keep it from being a great FL Darkride, but the facade certainly did it no favors.

All in all, for Kong, I doubt I'll ever ride it again as the most interesting part of the ride can be seen from the walkway. F&F I knew would be garbage, but its sad to see Universal drop the ball with such a great property and the great momentum they had before Kong.
Really? Because this news broadcast from 14 months before the ride opened explains the experience pretty clearly with vehicle concept art.
'Skull Island: Reign of Kong' ride coming to Universal Orlando

Professortango1

Really? Because this news broadcast from 14 months before the ride opened explains the experience pretty clearly with vehicle concept art.
'Skull Island: Reign of Kong' ride coming to Universal Orlando

Clearly explained the experience? Where? Can you find the timestamp where they did such? Near the end they do say "They won't spill the beans yet on the Kong attraction." The concept art only shows the facade/showbuilding entrance and the clip does nothing to downplay the attraction or suggest it will be a clone of the Kong 360 portion of the Tram Tour Attraction from Hollywood.

Look, I get it if you like this ride, that's fine. But don't pretend Universal set up expectations for the ride which we received.

General Mayhem

Clearly explained the experience? Where? Can you find the timestamp where they did such? Near the end they do say "They won't spill the beans yet on the Kong attraction." The concept art only shows the facade/showbuilding entrance and the clip does nothing to downplay the attraction or suggest it will be a clone of the Kong 360 portion of the Tram Tour Attraction from Hollywood.

Look, I get it if you like this ride, that's fine. But don't pretend Universal set up expectations for the ride which we received.
Dude they literally showed that the ride vehicle would be like the studio tour. They used the footage from Hollywood as an example which was not far off. All the clues and hints were laid out right there. If you don't like the ride that's fine, but stop blaming Universal for your unrealistic expectations.

zachrupertdsn

I voted for Race Through New York. Haven't had the chance to ride F&F yet and I am sure it will take over the spot, but for now Jimmy wins. It has an interesting queue concept, but even that can be tiresome when there is just people sitting all over the ground on the first floor.

The actual show and seating for the ride are just so uninspired and really seem to be peak screen ride era (Hagrid's is ushering in the new era).

Professortango1

Dude they literally showed that the ride vehicle would be like the studio tour. They used the footage from Hollywood as an example which was not far off. All the clues and hints were laid out right there. If you don't like the ride that's fine, but stop blaming Universal for your unrealistic expectations.

They showed large transport jeeps and mentioned there would be a height requirement for the thrilling attraction. The news used footage of the Hollywood version as well as footage of the 70's King Kong which isn't even connected to this version of Kong. Stop trying to show connections and evidence when it doesn't exist. Universal was very quiet about this project as far as disclosing details. We knew it was thrilling, it would have a height requirement, it would feature large trackless jeeps, it would be set on Skull Island, and would be based around Jackson's Kong. That's about all the general public knew.

JT3000

Queue scenes are a queue, not part of the ride. It makes the wait interesting and builds to the ride, but a great queue doesn't make up for a lackluster ride whereas a great ride can easily make up for a lackluster queue.

Regardless, they didn't need to include AAs in the queue. Most attractions don't. They could have just done the bare minimum.

The gate isn't a scene, its entering the show building just like you do in Hollywood.

It's definitely a scene. You're already in the building to begin with, and in cases of inclement weather, the ride is designed so you never have to go outside. But they wouldn't have you go outside otherwise if it were considered pointless, nor would they have dressed the building up so much.

Its great looking, but we see it from the walkway, its just like going up the lifthill in Splash's mill. Its well done, but not a scene.

What difference does seeing it from the walkway make? If anything that can be seen from outside the ride isn't a scene, then there's a lot of "non-scenes" on various rides throughout the parks. But that isn't a logical conclusion. It's meant to be seen ON the ride as well, and there's narration by the driver, making it part of the ride's narrative.

The opening sequence is okay. Too screen based for an attraction that's screens. Adding the creature pit was a natural extension of the scene, but its still part of the same movie. Its like having a missing 30 second sequence in an extended cut. Sure, its cool, but it still feels like the exact same movie.

The pit isn't a natural extension of the main scene. In fact, that's one of my gripes with this ride, it makes little sense how you go directly from one scene to the next. You would have to cover a larger distance to get from a cave, to a pit, and then into a jungle. Considering the relatively short length of the ride, I don't see how it compares to a 30-second deleted scene in a movie either. The added scenes contribute significantly more to the ride's length than they would an already long movie's.

Kong AA is great looking, but he does nothing. I have no idea how the designers wanted us to feel with him. Are we scared, are we thankful, are we trying to sneak by? He's just kind of there. And then the ride ends right after that moment.

He's letting you pass after having saved you. I would have liked to see an AA with a more complete body and more well defined motions, but it is what it is, and it's still impressive for what it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom