Worst Opening Day Attraction Still Open Today

AEfx

Then why is the title of the thread "Worst Opening Day Attraction Still Open Today". I mean you literally have the word worst in there lol.
He was listing all the opening day attractions that are still open so people could choose among them.

I'm not sure where the disconnect is here and why people aren't finding that perfectly clear.

If he hadn't listed them all, people would have insisted on making the list - the OP just did it for us.

Po'Rich

I find it sad how many people berate the poor Speedway on this thread. Of course, after seeing the list of possibilities, it was clear that was going to happen. Yes, it could stand to be updated, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a waste of space. As PPete1975 pointed out, the ride still remains a thrill with young kids. I remember how much my own children enjoyed driving Dad through the course. As they have gotten older, we no longer ride that ride, but I still see young kids eagerly pulling their parents towards it. I think we'd want to keep such rides that are popular with the young (and not just the young at heart).

Weather_Lady

I've always hoped they would demolish it and instead use it as a Fantasyland extension, and bring the Pinocchio/Alice rides from DL over, and add a third unique small dark ride. Even though it's certainly in better shape than it used to be (pre-Fantasyland expansion, it was dire and almost embarassing), our Fantasyland is nothing like the fun that DL's is, with all the dark rides and the themed exteriors.
I agree! In fact, the introduction of a trackless Fantasyland dark ride that combined the best of both worlds -- that is, the ability for "drivers" to "steer" and control a car (within reason) -- has long been a pipe dream of mine. In my head, it would be themed to Mr. Toad (with multiple tracks/storylines), although Pinocchio's Pleasure Island, Alice in Wonderland, Wreck It Ralph, or even Frozen (with a bobsled vehicle) would all work beautifully, too.

Kamikaze

I find it sad how many people berate the poor Speedway on this thread. Of course, after seeing the list of possibilities, it was clear that was going to happen. Yes, it could stand to be updated, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a waste of space. As PPete1975 pointed out, the ride still remains a thrill with young kids. I remember how much my own children enjoyed driving Dad through the course. As they have gotten older, we no longer ride that ride, but I still see young kids eagerly pulling their parents towards it. I think we'd want to keep such rides that are popular with the young (and not just the young at heart).
Its definitely a waste of space and the 'worst' attraction of the list. Just because its a 'thrill' with the little ones doesn't mean it isn't the worst of the bunch. It can be both things.

I'm all for the expansion instead of replacement mindset, but Speedway (and Autopia - its space in a cramped park & surroundings are a bigger issue than at WDW) should be outright removed.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
It's not a list of worst attractions. It is a list of opening day attractions still operating today.

He was listing all the opening day attractions that are still open so people could choose among them.

I'm not sure where the disconnect is here and why people aren't finding that perfectly clear.

If he hadn't listed them all, people would have insisted on making the list - the OP just did it for us.

Thread title: Worst Opening Day Attraction Still Open Today.

Read what I highlighted, then read the thread title. There is no disconnect. It's literally right there.

Skibum1970

I agree! In fact, the introduction of a trackless Fantasyland dark ride that combined the best of both worlds -- that is, the ability for "drivers" to "steer" and control a car (within reason) -- has long been a pipe dream of mine. In my head, it would be themed to Mr. Toad (with multiple tracks/storylines), although Pinocchio's Pleasure Island, Alice in Wonderland, Wreck It Ralph, or even Frozen (with a bobsled vehicle) would all work beautifully, too.

It's funny. I was armchair imagineering and had a thought about the original source material, "The Wind In the Willows". I envisioned four tracks that would show the perspectives of the Mole, Water Rat, Badger, and Toad, all coming together in the fight for Toad Hall. I would have stayed more true to the book than the cartoon and, to the chagrin of many, there would be no Hell scene.

I would argue that more recent additions are worse than any of the original rides. They show less imagination and don't even have the same capacity that the older rides do. However, since so few original rides exist, Speedway would get my vote. It takes up a fair amount of land, stinks, is noisy, and doesn't have the cool setting of Disneyland's version (Autopia, complete with offroad section). The shortening of the track over the years has reduced Speedway to a shadow of its former self, although that isn't really saying much.

yensidtlaw1969

Read what I highlighted, then read the thread title. There is no disconnect. It's literally right there.
There is a disconnect - the original poster asked "What do you think is the Worst Opening Day Attraction still running?" and then provided a list of Opening Day Attractions that are still running so people could easily choose from it.

It was a list of options that qualify for the topic, not a list of the attractions they think are the worst.

AEfx

At this point I just think you are trolling.

He was asking a question what people thought was the worst opening day attraction still in operation.

He provided a list of ALL the attractions from opening day that are still in operation so people could make their choice.

You apparently just don't understand what is going on. I don't even think you read the actual post, because this is about as clear as day. He was not making a list of the "worst" but giving the options from all available attractions that meet the criteria of "opening day attractions that are still in operation".

AEfx

That would be cool - though honestly, I'd just settle for a few more classic style dark rides - the thing that floored me about visiting Disneyland for the first time is how magical and fun their Fantasyland was. Back when it was metal-facade land it was even worse at WDW (downright embarrassing, in fact), but even though they did some good placemaking with the Fantasyland expansion, it still doesn't feel as full and vibrant as it should be, which is what a few more classic dark rides would bring.

Grimley1968

My vote is Dumbo. Even in the 70's it was an agonizing wait for a ride that isn't thrilling for even a 5 year old. Fast forward half a century, and it may have doubled in size, and the wait is a little better, but it's still not fun unless you literally have a baby with you.

Tomorrowland Speedway deserves mention as being nose to nose for being the worst still in operation, though.

AEfx

My vote is Dumbo. Even in the 70's it was an agonizing wait for a ride that isn't thrilling for even a 5 year old. Fast forward half a century, and it may have doubled in size, and the wait is a little better, but it's still not fun unless you literally have a baby with you.

Although I think we are likely in the minority, I do agree. Even on my first trip to WDW as a 7 year-old, I was like - no, I don't want to wait in line at Dumbo, let's go to the Haunted Mansion again. Literally the same ride exists in every single state fair/amusement park in the country. Still have never ridden it to this day.

I completely get the nostalgia associated with it, though, as it is unquestionably iconic - much, much more so than the Speedway - and I've always since thought of it as "good, all those kiddos waiting in line there aren't in line for what I want to ride" LOL. So I wouldn't vote to get rid of it.

Kamikaze

Although I think we are likely in the minority, I do agree. Even on my first trip to WDW as a 7 year-old, I was like - no, I don't want to wait in line at Dumbo, let's go to the Haunted Mansion again. Literally the same ride exists in every single state fair/amusement park in the country. Still have never ridden it to this day.

I completely get the nostalgia associated with it, though, as it is unquestionably iconic - much, much more so than the Speedway - and I've always since thought of it as "good, all those kiddos waiting in line there aren't in line for what I want to ride" LOL. So I wouldn't vote to get rid of it.
All spinners are indeed the same, but you should ride Dumbo at least once for its iconic status. Same with Astro Orbiter, which is obviously much less iconic but at least brings the unique views to the table.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I'm sure this might be a mixed response ... But with today's technology, how cool would it be to move the "Tomorrowland Speedway" over to Stitch's Great Escape, and make it a virtual reality car driving simulator?

Knowing this new generation, I'm sure the kids AND older people would enjoy it, and then it wouldn't be taking up nearly as much space.

Basically, the originally proposed Wreck-It Ralph attraction. But Tomorrowland themed instead.

WaltWiz1901

In fact, the introduction of a trackless Fantasyland dark ride that combined the best of both worlds -- that is, the ability for "drivers" to "steer" and control a car (within reason) -- has long been a pipe dream of mine. In my head, it would be themed to Mr. Toad (with multiple tracks/storylines), although Pinocchio's Pleasure Island, Alice in Wonderland, Wreck It Ralph, or even Frozen (with a bobsled vehicle) would all work beautifully, too.
It's funny. I was armchair imagineering and had a thought about the original source material, "The Wind In the Willows". I envisioned four tracks that would show the perspectives of the Mole, Water Rat, Badger, and Toad, all coming together in the fight for Toad Hall. I would have stayed more true to the book than the cartoon and, to the chagrin of many, there would be no Hell scene.
While I'd say an E-ticket Alice dark ride would be my top pick for the Speedway spot, I must say that a new and improved Mr. Toad comes super close to dethroning it - and actually, it sort of does. Would both ensure there would still be an attraction in the Magic Kingdom with the conceit of being able to drive a car and mark the return of a fan-favorite character

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
While I'd say an E-ticket Alice dark ride would be my top pick for the Speedway spot, I must say that a new and improved Mr. Toad comes super close to dethroning it - and actually, it sort of does. Would both ensure there would still be an attraction in the Magic Kingdom with the conceit of being able to drive a car and mark the return of a fan-favorite character
...virtual reality Mr. Toad where you actually drive his car. Lol. 😂 That'd be crazy!

DisneyFanatic12

All spinners are indeed the same, but you should ride Dumbo at least once for its iconic status. Same with Astro Orbiter, which is obviously much less iconic but at least brings the unique views to the table.
Haven’t been on Astro Orbiter for a while because of its annoyingly slow moving line (the ride is SO inefficient). BUT, I like Astro Orbiter when it doesn’t have a line. Kind of like the crazier version of Dumbo! When you’re dropped to ground level waiting for it to stop spinning, you can definitely feel some Gs pushing you against the side!

KikoKea

I hate to say it because I have fond memories from earlier visits, but Country Bears Jamboree. I honestly don't understand why Disney hasn't upgraded the show in the past decades to something worthy of the history and the space. It could be a charming show and a highlight of Frontier Land, but is now hard for us to watch. We go in mainly for the AC and the 3 bears singing "All the guys that turn me on turn me down." Love the harmony and cannot help but sing along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom