Worried about SSR...

mcst1010

I stayed at SSR in 2009 and it was the first time my entire family had gone to Disney. I have three kids, all under 10 at the time. We had a blast. The pools were great, and most of all everyone loved the Artist's Palette. The staff there was phenominal. The only complaint I had was the bus ride home at the end of the day. It was a bit long, but nothing intollerable. Plus the buses are frequent and the bus drivers are very friendly and helpful. Our room was all the way at the end of the complex, but we had a great view of DTD. If you end up down there, I can offer you a little helpful hint. When you need to go to the main building, where check in and the artist's palette is, you can get on any bus because the last stop inside the resort is that building. Saves you a little walking ( which is helpful with lots of little ones in tow). We will be there at the end of August also, ironically we are staying at BWV. Enjoy your trip, and don't worry SSR is great.

:)

dizzney

Thank you everyone. I definitely feel better about the new territory. I guess I just need to go more often in order to try out every resort and the different offerings... ;)

I suppose now I'm just curious as to everything being booked like it is. I didn't think late August was usually so busy?

Lots of northeasterners here, yes! I do love that the kids go back to school AFTER the holiday... Really helps with the vacations planning!
Bernadette,

If we go in the summer, we usually go after the 15th of August becase point values drop, I have both a 2 bedroom and a studio booked for 10 days from the 12th on, it was doable with the point cost dropping

We've Found BWV is usually pretty full then.

As for wait lists, its a short time frame, we've had them come thru but you usually have a better chance with more time. We cleared one for next february that i placed in May in June.

Good luck!

BeachClubNut

Yay! Last minute trip booked- those are my favorite kind, I am a huge fan of spontaneity.

In doing so however, I was not able to book my favorite resort (and home resort), BWV. There is nothing I don't like about BWV, I could never stay on another DVC property and feel quite content. Alas, the only 2 bedroom villa available for our dates (late August next month) is on the SS property. Reading the reviews makes me a little nervous. It seems to be a gigantic property and it seems very hit or miss with a good location. I really have no interest in the Downtown Disney area, BC and BWV area is perfect for us as we have a 9 and 12 year old that only talk about the Rock n Roller Coaster! I know we've been spoiled by the location of BWV and the convenience of its location. Does anyone have anything to say that maybe would put me at ease with this new resort (new to us)?

Also, we are waitlisted for BWV and BC... I'm VERY surprised that every single other DVC property was booked for both one and two bedroom villas... is that a hint of the crowds we can expect? I don't remember it being that busy in late August...!!

Hate to say it but we are Beach Club members, we stayed at SSR once, will never do it again, it was a horror show, arrived first night in a studio, was expecting a friend the next day the sleep sofa was busted, bathroom door was so crooked it would not shut. We told front desk they couldn't help us that night . Next day they said they would upgrade us to one bedroom although it was not ready until almost 6. Upon entering all seemed fine until we ran washer which squeaked so loud you could not be in the same room. Couch was torn, carpet worn almost through in major walking areas. DTD was not The Beach Club Boardwalk area and we really felt like we were at a Moderate resort at best. (Actually Im being generous) Long story short SSR is no Beach Club Boardwalk type resort, its aging much faster than it should in my opinion, its a sprawling resort and can be a hassle to get to the food court depending upon where they put you. We will never stay there again. I would pay cash at Pop Century first as it is almost a step up in my opinion. I know Ill take flack for this post but if your home resort is Boardwalk or Beach Club its hard to stay anywhere else, especially SSR.

Disclaimer, this was what our stay was, yes perhaps we were unlucky and got 2 bad rooms, we just wont chance that a SSR, Yes it could happen at Beach Club, but hasnt, they always seem to put us in one of the room we request, also most rooms were recently remodeled. We truly feel spoiled/fortunate at Beach Club.

DisneyFan1003

SSR is our home resort and we love it! Quiet, relaxing and beautiful. Plus, with a spa on site, how can you go wrong! I agree with many previous posts that SSR seems to get a bad rep because a few people have had bad experiences there. But, I bet you could find people who have negative feelings towards any resort for one reason or another. I hope you enjoy your stay...it's a beautiful place to walk at night!

Btw...one of the best meals we've ever had at WDW was at the Turf Club..give it a try!

andi95

I think the Springs buildings are what we want. I have to investigate more.

Hi! I think you'll like SSR. I've stayed at BW, AKL, and SSR. The things they say about AKL are untrue. Not too far from the parks! Magic Kingdom is a bit of a ride, but not horrible! SSR is not BW in terms of activity, but it's very nice!

We stay at the Springs too! You'll have to get used to the bussing. THe Springs is nice because it's the last stop before heading the parks. It's also the last stop on the way home. It's a short walk to the pool and to the quick service.

The Paddocks is also nice, especially since they have their brand new pool!

Enjoy! Let us know how you like it.

foreverbelle

The new paddock pool any pics?? We seen some on here but I am soooo dying to see it in person....How was your trip?

I don't know if I have any full on pics, just some minor ones here and there and mainly of the kids area. Since I have an active 2 yr old, I was lucky enough to get those!! Some of them have been posted in my TR!

I had a fabulous time. Didn't want it to end, but whoever does??

dixiegirl

I don't know if I have any full on pics, just some minor ones here and there and mainly of the kids area. Since I have an active 2 yr old, I was lucky enough to get those!! Some of them have been posted in my TR!

I had a fabulous time. Didn't want it to end, but whoever does??

Well i'll have to hunt that TR down! Believe I understand active 2 year olds!!! They get to be eye rolling , huff and puff, they seem to know everything 11 year olds...LOL

mouselvrmom

I have to agree that while SSR doesn't have the convenient location like BWV (which I absolutely adore by the way) or BCV ( which are my hubby's favorite), it is a stunning resort. I love the colors they used. It is quite peaceful and relaxing. I'm betting the new pool and counter service will really add to it! We haven't been there since last August, since we stayed at OKW this time, but I will definitely be back. It's a great resort!

I like the Artist's Palette better than not having a counter service at BW, and the refillable drink station is much more convenient than having to go to the Bakery or whatever. So there are pros and cons to every resort.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
We were worried about an SSR last minute reservation as well last year. Our stay there was magical! It truly has a helpful staff. My husband had twisted his ankle a couple of days before our trip and I had forgotten to call and ask about a ground level room. I explained this to the check in staff and they were able to get one for him. It really helped to make him more comfortable. Our villa was in The Paddock section. Our daughter and I would take the short walk to The Carriage House several times a day.

mouseinthesouth

I think you will like being at SSR. There are 5 pools to use. Lots of kids activities though out the day. Renting bikes and riding around the resort or riding on the bike path that will take you to OKW. The are carousel horses for the kids to play on. And the spa is another great feature if you need some Mommy time.
I think you will like it so don't fret. My thought is as long as its a room at Disney how bad could my stay be! I had second thoughts when we had to spend 2 nights at the POP becuase there were no DVC studios at the begining of our trip a couple years ago. We were pleasently surprised. We thought it was going to be run down, noisey, crowded. It was totally opposite in fact I liked the bed there better than at the VWL..

DON'T Fret!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom