World of Disney store(s) rumor...

Piebald

dzne4eva said:
That would be incredible for those who don't get as much magic as others. The in store character experiences especially for the little ones. I remember going to a local mall when they had a road show for the 25th anniversary and seeing the faces light up of kids you know will never see the inside of a Disney park. Belle read them stories, it was really nice... :cry:

I remember long ago (not the 25th anniversary thing but I do remember that) going to the Fashion Mall in Ft. Lauderdale (where I live) and seeing characters there one day. It was like a show inside the mall. I THINK it was the Disney Afternoon crew. I remember Chip and Dale there and that's it. Man, that makes me mad to know how much the Disney Channel's cartoons suck now. I remember having a bunch of Disney Afternoon toys and merchandise. It was so promoted...almost like a movie. Dave The Barbarian? Please, it looks like a crappy half-a$$ed show that I could watch on Cartoon Network. :hurl:

WDWScottieBoy

I agree with the Disney Channel selection of shows, it's not the same as I watched growing up, and I'm only 18. I miss seeing the good shows worth watching. As for the WoD stores being built in regions, please, PLEASE build one in Chicago. They gave us DisneyQuest and then tore it down, we need something desparately. I used to go to the Disney Store everytime I was in the mall. Now I rarely go in there unless I have a reason to, that is of course if the mall still has the store. Such a shame that we can't have the same Disney magic that we always used to have.

cloudboy

Besides the shopping, what else of the Disney Magic would you be willing to drive, say, and hour to hour and a half for, but still wouldn't take away from the excitement of actually going to the parks?

MKCustodial

Well, if I understood your question correctly, I suppose that's where my idea would come in, to provide WoD stores to those who have no way of getting their dose of Disney Magic without going to another country.

artvandelay

Sherm00 said:
:sohappy: We are going down tomorrow to see the Lion king on broadway, maybe we will stop by and let you know. :sohappy: the disney store is only a small walk from broadway.

The Disney store on 7th Ave and 42nd street is closed. The closest store is on 5th Ave between 54th and 55th. It's a 20 minute walk from the Lion King.

Pioneer Hall

artvandelay said:
The Disney store on 7th Ave and 42nd street is closed. The closest store is on 5th Ave between 54th and 55th. It's a 20 minute walk from the Lion King.

But that is the one that is closed for the change over. So there are no open Disney Stores in Manhattan anymore.

PixyDust

I remember back in 1998, my husband and I went to San Francisco for a long weekend. We were staying in Union Square, and just a couple of doors down from the Disney Store. We had never seen a Disney Store. It was soooo cool. We bought our son (5 months old at the time) a great Disney Store sweatshirt with Mickey on it. It also said "San Francisco". We thought it was really cool.

I'd like to see these new stores add the city to the shirts. That way they are kind of a double souvenir. Something Disney/Something showing the city you visited?

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
I started reading thru this thread last night, but didn't get a chance to weigh in. So, here goes. My Wife and I both worked at (2) different stores here in Austin, and we were very proud to be a part of the "Disney Family". And I have to say that some of the things that both of us wanted to see in the stores were Park merchandise, character jewelry, more music selections, more variety in plush, vacation packages, and better product in the stores.

We both felt like there was a very narrow approach to the product lines offered, and therefore, the stores struggled in some ways, especially during the very competitive holiday shopping periods. We did have a loyal customer base that shopped regularly, but at times we struggled to have what customers wanted. A lot of them wanted a larger line of adult clothing for one. One of the stores at one time carried Lithos and jewelry, but those lines were taken out of that store. Ironically, that same store was closed down, which has left Austin with the 2 stores in which we worked.

I'm not sure that I understand how these new stores would operate in competition with TDS chain, offer different product without offering a line of park merchandise, without Disney selling off TDS chain altogether.

I'd love the opportunity to workin one of these new stores, but I don't want to see an internal competition between to chains.

Pioneer Hall

HennieBogan1966 said:
I started reading thru this thread last night, but didn't get a chance to weigh in. So, here goes. My Wife and I both worked at (2) different stores here in Austin, and we were very proud to be a part of the "Disney Family". And I have to say that some of the things that both of us wanted to see in the stores were Park merchandise, character jewelry, more music selections, more variety in plush, vacation packages, and better product in the stores.

We both felt like there was a very narrow approach to the product lines offered, and therefore, the stores struggled in some ways, especially during the very competitive holiday shopping periods. We did have a loyal customer base that shopped regularly, but at times we struggled to have what customers wanted. A lot of them wanted a larger line of adult clothing for one. One of the stores at one time carried Lithos and jewelry, but those lines were taken out of that store. Ironically, that same store was closed down, which has left Austin with the 2 stores in which we worked.

I'm not sure that I understand how these new stores would operate in competition with TDS chain, offer different product without offering a line of park merchandise, without Disney selling off TDS chain altogether.

I'd love the opportunity to workin one of these new stores, but I don't want to see an internal competition between to chains.

I understand the concern, but I don't really think it would be a problem. These stores are going to be so few and far between that they won't really compete with the Disney Stores. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Disney shut stores down that surround these newer stores (depending on volume of course).

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
SirNim said:
The previous incarnation of the NYC DS had a rather extensive "Disney Gallery" section on top, much like the ones that used to grace some of the mall DSs. I can only hope that an even MORE extensive gallery section is set aside for the newest incarnation of the NYC DS, or should I write WOD?....

The Disney Store on N. Michigan Ave. here in Chicago still has quite an extensive "Disney Gallery".

But the crappy mall Disney Stores around here.... do not.. nor have they ever... I dont think.

stitchlvr

I think a place sort of like a Rainforest Cafe would be neat...a themed restaurant (a Character type meal, could rotate characters/theme to keep people coming back...could do birthday parties etc. Imagine how many little girls would die to have a real Cinderella birthday party at a Disney restaurant!). Then of course there would be the attached store/World of Disney/Disney Store for merchandising. It would be a neat way to get a little Disney magic in between visits to the real thing.

SirNim

A Disney Restaurant is a VERY feasible concept, at least to me...

Think about it...

A HIGH-PROFILE themed dining complex buoyed by the most faMOUSE brand in entertainment?

In high-traffic metropolitan areas?

With lots of children around?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Why hasn't Disney done this already?

kylestylelevi

Hey guys!

Just to start off im a disney store cast member in North Carolina. It is good to hear that disney is attempting to ring the magic back to the stores, even if it is only a handful! These new World of Disney stores sound fabulos with the character meeet and greets and all kinfds of great things that used to make the Disney Stores...well disney! And if you want my opionion on the matter the disney stores would not be in trouble if the animation department would make some good quality disney movies again.
I am sure you all are rolling your eyes and going this kid needs to shut up but hear me out! If you look at disney movies in the past even their merchandise sells better then these new movies like "Teachers Pet" and "Home on the Range". Just look next time you are at a disney store at how much Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, and Toy Story merchandise we carry. No one wants to buy home on the range cows? For instance look at Finding Nemo..great movie and merchandise seels out so fast people beg for it to come back soon. If Disney's animation department would beef up and produce some high quality disney animation maybe just maybe the merchandise would sell and no one would have to close over 200 stores due to under-performance.
Also as a side note the whole Disney opening a resteraunt/merchandise chain would kill the parks. If litttle girls could have tea with Cinderella in their home towns or even if they drove 2-3hrs the parks busniness would suffer! Also if you had character meet and greets each week people would not need to go to Disney World anymore to see their favorite characters. just my two cents!

Sherm00

artvandelay said:

Confirmed it yesterday there is NO operating disney store in NYC at the present time, However, The World of Disney store will open in eairly october 2004 and from what I overhead with big fanfare. It will be in the same building on 5th ave between 54th and 55th, it will be 3 floors, I got to peek inside (one of the guys had the door open sitting and getting a breath of fresh air so I took the oppertunity) and there is alot of construction going on, but so far I haven't noticed much change. Supposedly there will be like a BOX office there where you will be able to buy Disney broadway tickets, WDW and DL tickets, Book reservations and rooms etc, Disney on Ice tickets and other Disney tickets. He didn't know what type of merchandise was comming in yet, he said there was alot of work to do and he really couldn't elaborate. But I think I will get tickets for beauty and the beast sometime in october so I can go see :D .

As for the Lion King , It was awesome, I highly reccomend going to see it. There isn't a bad seat in the house, but if your afraid of heghts don't sit in the balcony section. The show was just outstanding.

jcarriv

There are a lot excellent suggestions out there.

Beacon stores in major cities make sense.

A limited n both time and amount of theme park merchandise sounds like a great idea.

A restaurant sounds great but one step at a time. Improve the stores 1st and then think about a restaurant 2nd.

I would think that in the major cities a small travel agent type of booth would be a great idea. Maybe even offering exclusive discounts for those booking vacations at that store.

Whatever is going to occur it needs to present quality and "magic"

stitchlvr

"Also as a side note the whole Disney opening a resteraunt/merchandise chain would kill the parks. If litttle girls could have tea with Cinderella in their home towns or even if they drove 2-3hrs the parks busniness would suffer! Also if you had character meet and greets each week people would not need to go to Disney World anymore to see their favorite characters."

(I still haven't figured out how to do the quote thingy...sorry)

I thought about this too, but I really don't think having a restaurant would compare to visiting WDW itself, or keep people away. I'm sure there are a few who visit only for the chance to see Cinderella, but I doubt a restaurant chain would hurt business in FL. Especially if they didn't just copy Chef Mickey or Cinderella's breakfast. Do you really think that many people go to the parks for the characters and nothing else? I know there are the die-hard princess fanatics, but I don't think they'd stay away for that reason.

Pioneer Hall

SirNim said:
A Disney Restaurant is a VERY feasible concept, at least to me...

Think about it...

A HIGH-PROFILE themed dining complex buoyed by the most faMOUSE brand in entertainment?

In high-traffic metropolitan areas?

With lots of children around?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Why hasn't Disney done this already?

That is a huge theme park draw. Making character meals something you can only get at the theme parks gives people something to really look forward to. the meals wouldn't do as well in the parks if you could get them anywhere in the US.

Pioneer Hall

One other thing I was thinking...

The name can't get out of hand again. You shouldn't be able to travel to larger cities and see restuarants and shops that would take away from the Vacation effect. By overproducing these places you would end up with a result like the Disney Stores (only it could affect larger markets as well). This is why I was never a fan for DisneyQuest being in other cities and why I didn't like the Boardwalk and Downtown Disney rumors (for them to be placed around the country)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom