World Of Color Refurbishment

SuddenStorm

Toontown's concept and purpose has always been better than the execution. I'd love to see it's aesthetic rethemed, a new Mickey ride added, and shade added throughout the land to help revitalize it for another few decades.

I also hope that they're considering removing Gadget's Go Coaster. An off the shelf coaster that can also be found at SFMM has no place inside Disneyland, and I'd love to see something new there.

TP2000

When you're sitting there talking to this lovely woman, do you have to hold back your excitement and desire to throw rapid fire questions at her the whole time?

I'm an excellent conversationalist, and a good host. We just had a nice, lovely chat and she did most of the talking.

But to contain my excitement and nerdy tendencies, I fiddled with the serving utensils on the charcuterie board. She was none the wiser.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm an excellent conversationalist, and a good host. We just had a nice, lovely chat and she did most of the talking.

But to contain my excitement and nerdy tendencies, I fiddled with the serving utensils on the charcuterie board. She was none the wiser.
Thank you!!! Definitely a lot to digest from her report...

I'm all on board for a re-done ToonTown, especially if it includes MMRR. And as for Marvel Land...

BB4.gif

D

Deleted member 107043

And as for Marvel Land...

If it gets chopped will something else be approved instead? Considering how reluctant Disney is to invest big bucks in Anaheim I wouldn't consider Marvel Land's demise cause for celebrating. Without it DLR may be in for another prolonged drought for any meaningful theme park expansion.

D.Silentu

I have to wonder how much this actually will change the plan. The estimate, according to the "neighbor lady," was a year delayed. However, the consensus here seems to be that it was never the plan to open a ride in 2020, just the surrounding land. Attractions would follow in phases. If what I've said is true then they actually have a little time to regroup. Of course, I'm just gleaning all of this from posts here and I may be incorrect.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

If it gets chopped will something else be approved instead? Considering how reluctant Disney is to invest big bucks in Anaheim I wouldn't consider Marvel Land's demise cause for celebrating. Without it DLR may be in for another prolonged drought for any meaningful theme park expansion.
I doubt they’ll axe the entire project, but it’s definitely 3 steps backwards.

D

Deleted member 107043

I doubt they’ll axe the entire project, but it’s definitely 3 steps backwards.

Well yes, and that's my point. As much as I hate the endless stream IP inspired additions I'd rather get something than nothing at all. And let's face it, Disney P&R has shown little interest in financing anything that doesn't have a connection to one of its media studios, especially at DLR.

Curious Constance

Poor Marvel land. It's been designed and then reset over and over. Back at D23 2015 they had attraction details to announce, and pulled them at the last second. Three years later, we're no closer to finalized plans. Just incredible.

So, you mean to tell me that hazmat scene they staged over by MB, may have actually been a real hazmat situation?

BrianLo

Poor Marvel land. It's been designed and then reset over and over. Back at D23 2015 they had attraction details to announce, and pulled them at the last second. Three years later, we're no closer to finalized plans. Just incredible.

Reallllllyyyy, still?

Well Disneyland Resort now falls into a distant 5th place for most public lack of direction on its future.

When this is over and done with you guys will have to tell us why this has been the case. I hope this round is more we need to make it better than cold feet.

Stevek

Reallllllyyyy, still?

Well Disneyland Resort now falls into a distant 5th place for most public lack of direction on its future.

When this is over and done with you guys will have to tell us why this has been the case. I hope this round is more we need to make it better than cold feet.
Or perhaps, they now have a much clearer sense of direction aka no more low capacity rides from WDI as @TP2000 stated in another post. Given that mandate, it's now just a matter of how quickly they can move forward with an updated plan.

BrianLo

Or perhaps, they now have a much clearer sense of direction aka no more low capacity rides from WDI as @TP2000 stated in another post. Given that mandate, it's now just a matter of how quickly they can move forward with an updated plan.

Lol... one would actually have had to read back earlier in this thread to see those posts (which I somehow missed).

This is despite @TP2000 replying with the answer to me. I'm jet legged...

BrianLo

You rang? I'm back from my weekly trip to OSH, I keep putting off my fruit tree maintenance, and it's still several hours away from cocktail time, but because I like you all I'll do this sober...

Recently we had a nice long catch up session on the patio over several drinks and a charcuterie thing I threw together. The conversation landed on the political climate in Anaheim, the recent Bernie Sanders visit, the $18 minimum wage referendum, etc. and how it can all impact future development in Anaheim. She agreed that any future major development announcements are on hold until at least after the November election. She said things between TDA and Anaheim government are very, very tense. No one is talking, which is a complete 180 degree environment from the previous six decades when things were always very chummy, even after political ethics laws took effect in the late 1970's and the infamous trips to Catalina and such ended. She said that even the early 1990's when Eisner floated the idea of DisneySea in Long Beach and Anaheim got grumpy about it is nothing compared to the current Cold War. There are a few city councilmen that are still friendly with Disney execs, but Mayor Tait is openly hostile and he has the power to direct civic department heads to cease and desist with anything that could make life easier for Disneyland.

But for the past couple years there have been two major projects designed for post-Star Wars that had moved through the pipeline at WDI and been favored by TDA (first Colglazier, but then D'Amaro questioned some of it). They both involve pushing the existing park boundaries outward, creating more park acreage and more capacity. And it's the capacity thing that killed one of them.

1.) The first project is an expansion of Mickey's Toontown, to add the Mickey & Minnie Runaway Railway ride to Disneyland. There are two buildings directly north of Toontown that would be demolished to achieve this, both used by the entertainment department to house offices, rehearsal halls, CM uniform issuing, and locker rooms. Those functions in those buildings would be moved off-site and/or into a new basement level, while the Mickey & Minnie railway ride would sit in a new ride warehouse directly north of Toontown. Toontown would be redone with a new aesthetic that matches the ride aesthetic and the entry to the new Runaway Railway thing. That project is still ready to go, once the political climate changes in Anaheim and Disneyland feels more confident about the future.

Any future Fantasyland expansion would be south of the railroad tracks, in the areas currently under-utilized by the Fantasyland Theater, Motorboat Cruise, etc. Although there is still an expansion pad left between Millenium Falcon ride and Fantasyland Theater/Toontown. The hot topic now in TDA is "capacity", and Disneyland needs more. She also said those unofficially official TEA reports were laughably inaccurate, especially for DHS and DAK at WDW, and that Disneyland pushes 20 Million and DCA has been in the low teen millions per year for four years now. Both parks need more rider capacity.

2.) The second big project is Marvel Land, obviously. The neighbor lady doesn't know I was a longtime reader of Al Lutz, but she told me about the big E Ticket coaster concept that Miceage and other insiders here have mentioned for the past few years. I played along. That Avengers themed coaster concept has been killed by TDA because WDI could not get the rider capacity on it up to an acceptable level.

She explained there has been a sea change within TDA regarding the willingness to put up with creative ideas from WDI that were pretty to look at but had unacceptably low rider capacity. She sited Cars Land and Radiator Racers as costing a fortune, but having much lower rider capacity as the big E Tickets of the 20th century like Pirates, Mansion, Big Thunder, etc. She said if Richard Nunis and the pre-Pressler group were still in charge of Disneyland, they never would have allowed WDI to build these big expensive E Tickets with such pitiful daily capacity numbers. (She also mentioned an old exec with the surname "Cora" or "Korra" who was always a stickler for high capacity offerings, and Pressler fired him 20 years ago for being old-fashioned) She said Star Wars rides won't have good capacity either, but it was too late for those and execs are now getting worried about how Star Wars rides will cope day after day, month after month, year after year.

For whatever reason, the industrial engineering department and some others in TDA have convinced the new TDA Prez D'amaro to wake up to the fact that WDI keeps designing these big fancy rides that are pretty and cost a fortune but have pitifully low capacity. The Marvel Avengers coaster was the worst example of this, and it has now been cancelled and WDI was sent back to the drawing board to come up with something that can deal with the giant crowds that Disneyland draws. Because the big Avengers coaster was cancelled, Marvel Land is now back at square one and the land is on hold and will take at least a year to get moving again. It will still have a E Ticket thrill ride of some kind, but WDI is looking for a suitably high capacity ride system to use and then build a story around. She doubts Flik's Fun Fair will close this September since now there's no reason to with the coaster sent back to the drawing board, although they still want to move Flik's Flyers over to Pixar Pier.

Pixar Pier will open this weekend, the Indredicoaster is ready to go and supposedly a nice improvement over the minimally themed Screamin', but they are going to have to open the Pier in a state of semi-readiness and some of the snack bars and gift shops won't be completely done. Expect to see continuing detail work on Pixar Pier into July before it finally gets completed to the state it was supposed to be on June 23rd.

Now I feel like someone owes me a glass of something. And don't tell the neighbor lady.

Thanks TP, you are better than whomever they got to replace Lutz. I should send you and the neighbour lady some cocktails and cheese sometime.

jrhwdw

Well there's word on Twitter that DLR confirmed WOC's long extended referb till towards the end of the year. Why did this come out so late?!?!? 2 nights before it's return! The schedule was still up this morning!!! I've seen rumors other places of this for a while, but not on twitter until now! While on the calendar, I did not see Celebrate America for the start of July, Is that cancelled too??? Together Forever isn't that good to can Celebrate America! It's not an Anniversary.

EvilChameleon

If that's true, what are they going to do once Pixar Fest is done? Bring back, gasp, the Main Street Electrical Parade for a few weeks?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If that's true, what are they going to do once Pixar Fest is done? Bring back, gasp, the Main Street Electrical Parade for a few weeks?

When Pixar Fest is done in September it'll be Halloween, so they'll do the normal Halloween parade and fireworks in DL. After that the rumor is Remember comes back for fireworks. And during that time PtN should still be running in DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom