News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

Monorail_Red_77

Noticed this today. MK Toll Plaza looking a bit unloved and now the neon glasswork has all been removed from the facade. Maybe they are refurbing or hopefully soon to demo and relocate it perhaps????

2596F86E-5BA2-4F72-A424-34AC5ABDAF52.jpeg
CFD1B4B2-8F79-4297-866E-AB3BAD3830C8.jpeg
F01F7870-C216-4043-81F2-B4CE6C5AA0CF.jpeg

Used to be attached in the blue above each letter. You can see the holes.

Otherwise flyovers and all look great.

peter11435

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Ancillary benefit of this redesign...

We were staying at The Wyndham Bonnet Creek last week and my wife wanted to attend Xmas mass at the Contemporary. In the past, attempting to drive to the Contemporary even to drop somebody off Xmas morning was grueling. But not last week. Picked up Vista Drive north of the marketplace end of Disney Springs and drove straight through to the Contemporary entrance without needing to stop. In fact, vehicle traffic at the Contemporary was so light the guard even told me I could self park and join her instead of just dropping her off.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
A South Florida Water Management District permit was filed today for a new storm water retention pond south of the MK parking lot to support World Drive Phase 2 and 3. The permit is not for the actual World Drive projects but does provide some details.

"The project is the Phase 2 extension and realignment of World Drive and the associated ramps and frontage roads. Phase 2 of the World Drive extension will begin where Phase 1 ends near Floridian Way and east of the existing care care center. The end of Phase 2 ties in to Floridian Way approximately 800 feet south of Seven Seas Drive. The total project length is approximately 1.3 miles."

"The World Drive Phase III roadway project (currently under design and proposed for permitting & construction in late 2020) begins at the north end of the World Drive North Phase II project and runs north, passing Seven Seas Drive, running between the Polynesian Resort and Shades of Green and along the Grand Floridian Resort, ending at Maple Road."

The blue lines in this drawing are for Phase 2.

matt9112

A South Florida Water Management District permit was filed today for a new storm water retention pond south of the MK parking lot to support World Drive Phase 2 and 3. The permit is not for the actual World Drive projects but does provide some details.

"The project is the Phase 2 extension and realignment of World Drive and the associated ramps and frontage roads. Phase 2 of the World Drive extension will begin where Phase 1 ends near Floridian Way and east of the existing care care center. The end of Phase 2 ties in to Floridian Way approximately 800 feet south of Seven Seas Drive. The total project length is approximately 1.3 miles."

"The World Drive Phase III roadway project (currently under design and proposed for permitting & construction in late 2020) begins at the north end of the World Drive North Phase II project and runs north, passing Seven Seas Drive, running between the Polynesian Resort and Shades of Green and along the Grand Floridian Resort, ending at Maple Road."

The blue lines in this drawing are for Phase 2.
View attachment 368306

whata purpose of this phase? isnt this just MK entry and exit?

ryguy

Wonder if this will effect the golf courses at all. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the courses someday are turned into a DVC or hotel, its prime property over there.

Monorail_Red_77

I thought this project was also going to be a new road way for locals north of WDW property, so they could easily access the Parks and Disney Springs, or is that "Phase 3"?
I believe that is a separate project already in progress for some time, further north between Maple Rd. and Reams Rd. Looks like here, Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 will all tie together with the North Entrance project when complete.

mm121

I thought this project was also going to be a new road way for locals north of WDW property, so they could easily access the Parks and Disney Springs, or is that "Phase 3"?
They've been doing alot more work on Floridian way and world drive than when the North Entrance was originally announced.

They didn't simply just build a road when sign leading into the existing network of jumbled roadways.

mm121

Here are more detailed plans. Looks like they are trying to further separate the Magic Kingdom traffic from the resort traffic.
View attachment 368326

View attachment 368327
Looks good answers lots of questions about mk exit traffic and car care center access.

Seems like once complete they are preparing for lots of traffic to be able to come in from the north.

Also probably trying to be prepared for those who will inevitably use this as a non tolled general roadway south as a cut through

mm121

After phase 3 this will be completed.

Not sure it's open yet but road north of Maple is pretty much complete.

SmartSelect_20190430-182115_Maps.jpg

halltd

All these yellow lines were driving me crazy so I thought I would make it easier to see what happening.

View attachment 369043
View attachment 369044

View attachment 369045
This will be so much better than trying to go past Contemporary to exit WDW!

It looks like Floridian Way will be another flyover when it crosses the MK exit.

Interesting that earlier in the thread someone was adamant that the toll plaza was moving. I don't see that anywhere in these new plans...especially with the new retention ponds.

mm121

Wonder if this will effect the golf courses at all. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the courses someday are turned into a DVC or hotel, its prime property over there.
Phase 2 won't, but phase 3 might.

Depending on if they build just a normal surface 4 lane road beyond seven seas or if they try to keep Floridians separate and then require separate ancillary roads for access to shades and gf.

A 4 lane would probably fit by just taking some land from each side without much disruption.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom