World Class Customer Service

GCTales

That's good they appologized.

I think regardless of protocol/policy the employee acted in bad faith. Even if pyro is stored under the stage it's not like pyro goes off without being triggered first.

If it was a huge safety concern he could've let them know without running and grabbing the ring how he did.

Sometimes you just need to apply common sense. This is terrible customer service any way I see it. I don't blame the guests at all
unless they snuck into an area they weren't supposed to be in.
According to some sources, the originator of the video is now admitting he lied about being told he could propose there and did not have permission to go back stage.

I think the cast member could certainly have handled it better, but it never should have happened in the first place.

Dear Prudence

That's good they appologized.

I think regardless of protocol/policy the employee acted in bad faith. Even if pyro is stored under the stage it's not like pyro goes off without being triggered first.

If it was a huge safety concern he could've let them know without running and grabbing the ring how he did.

Sometimes you just need to apply common sense. This is terrible customer service any way I see it. I don't blame the guests at all
unless they snuck into an area they weren't supposed to be in.
I hate that they have to apologize to people who were clearly breaking the rules.

zombiebbq

You never take someone else's physical property hoping to de-escalate a situation. That often results in further confrontation and a bigger safety issue and more confrontation. I am not saying the intentions of the Cast Member were wrong, but how they did it could use a reflection or retraining.
Exactly. What a fool that cast member was. I'm not sure why he had that smug smiling look at his face either, somehow it made the video worse. Boy I'm glad something like that didn't happen to me, my New Jersey side...well, let's just leave it at that 😂.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
According to some sources, the originator of the video is now admitting he lied about being told he could propose there and did not have permission to go back stage.

I think the cast member could certainly have handled it better, but it never should have happened in the first place.
Major mistake on their part. They told a lie and now it's all over the internet and they now have to backpedal. Did not know this.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
I hate that they have to apologize to people who were clearly breaking the rules.
I still don't understand running and grabbing the ring and saying "this is better down here". He could have literally waited 20 seconds and ask them to come down.

Even if it is safety related, grabbing personal property doesn't fix the situation.

PG 134

It was quick and effective move by the Cast Member. The purpose was to remove Guests from area and it worked. Unless there was a drain nearby, extremely unlikely anything bad would happen to the ring. The Guest can argue all they want about whether they were given permission or not once they have been removed from the restricted area. It has apparently been found out(according to several posts above) that the Guest lied about having permission like rule breakers frequently do.

JoeCamel

It was quick and effective move by the Cast Member. The purpose was to remove Guests from area and it worked. Unless there was a drain nearby, extremely unlikely anything bad would happen to the ring. The Guest can argue all they want about whether they were given permission or not once they have been removed from the restricted area. It has apparently been found out(according to several posts above) that the Guest lied about having permission like rule breakers frequently do.
Is it customary for a CM to lay their hands on a guest to urge them to comply with a request?

Tom P.

There is no excuse for the cast member to have taken the ring. None. There's no grey area there. It was improper, uncalled for, and should get the cast member fired. Not disciplined, fired.

Yes, the guests were stupid. Yes, social media has turned people into morons. Yes, they should not have been there. Yes, it was potentially even dangerous.

But unless the object in question is what is creating the danger (e.g., someone has a knife or a gun), you don't take a guest's property. Period.

Stupido

Throwing in my two cents. When I worked at Disney World in 2010, the biggest emphasis throughout our two-week training was that "Safe D begins with Me." They even made a three minute montage of every kind of cast member from Life Guards to Cinderella and Charming repeating that sentence on loop. We all laughed at the time and repeated it 37 times a day, but they truly drilled it into us. The purpose was so that all employees felt empowered to do whatever it takes to ensure Guest (and Cast Member) safety. We were told we were never allowed to tell a guest no, unless it pertained to a safety issue. They actively encouraged us to do whatever we deemed necessary to ensure safety across the parks.

I'm not sure if the training focus has shifted over the course of a decade, but I find it truly hard to believe it would. I understand why Disney felt the need to apologize, but I highly doubt the cast member will receive much backlash for their actions. The guests put themselves in harms way, all because they needed to take their already over the top proposal to the next level. I've seen guests receive lifetime bans for something half as egregious. They're lucky they walked away with just an apology. This whole spectical can be summed up with "play dumb games, win stupid prizes." I'd be very upset if anything happened to that Cast Member.

Last edited:

Tom P.

Throwing in my two cents. When I worked at Disney World in 2010, the biggest emphasis throughout our two-week training was that "Safe D begins with Me." They even made a three minute montage of every kind of cast member from Life Guards to Cinderella and Charming repeating that sentence on loop. We all laughed at the time and repeated it 37 times a day, but they truly drilled it into us. The purpose was so that all employees felt empowered to do whatever it takes to ensure Guest (and Cast Member) safety. We were told we were never allowed to tell a guest no, unless it pertained to a safety issue. They actively encouraged us to do whatever we deemed necessary to ensure safety across the parks.

I'm not sure if the training focus has shifted over the course of a decade, but I find it truly hard to believe it would. I understand why Disney felt the need to apologize, but I highly doubt the cast member will receive much backlash for their actions. The guests put themselves in harms way, all because they needed to take their already over the top proposal to the next level. I've seen guests receive lifetime bans for something half as egregious. They're lucky they walked away with just an apology. This whole spectical can be summed up with "play dumb games, win stupid prizes." I'd be very upset if anything happened to that Cast Member.
I understand that safety trumps everything else, and I agree with that. However, there was no reason that the cast member needed to run through and snatch the ring. That is the part that was uncalled for. They should have simply walked up to the couple and calmly asked them to move along. If they refuse, then you have a different situation and may need to actually get security involved, but they didn't even try. And, regardless, grabbing the ring and running is never going to be the appropriate way of handling it. I stand by my assertion that the cast member should be fired.

AndyS2992

Should anyone want a nice photo or to propose in front of the castle, in a guest accessible place, where it isn't too crowded then I recommend these two places:

The raised viewing platform in front of the Chateau Stage up these steps:

3317572674_2331cb8db5_b.jpg

Or in the little nook by the side of the Castle bridge:

982b31afab9d68381012aee85883d4cb.jpg

Perfect quiet photo/proposal locations without making yourself look stupid.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If the guests were in immediate danger, then yes, there was a reason.
Yeah. Platinum rings are known to trigger pyro so it was imperative to grab it from the guest's hands. But sources tell me this one was actually white gold. Phew! Crisis averted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom