working out for Disney

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yesterday I finished a 30 day yoga program and found a nice zen practice for today but I'm uncertain if I should start the next cycle tomorrow or hold off until Monday so the days are easier to track. I think the rain is messing with my brain or what there is of it:hilarious:

HouCuseChickie

Woke up today for my gym workout and hit snooze 4 TIMES! I did finally roll out of bed and hit the gym. I had really good energy this morning too. I'm not sure if it was the rest, last night's veggies, or the lentil and quinoa pasta. I've even taken a few breaks to do some extra core work...side planks, supermans, etc. I haven't been doing as much core work lately and I think I need to get back on it, since a strong core will help EVERYTHING! I reached out to my running groups and also got some good tips for running in the heat. Everyone's definition of hot and humid varies, but advice coming in from Floridians and Louisianians (as well as some Texans) is in line with what I need for local conditions. I'm pushing for 6.5-7 miles tomorrow morning. I will be going out shortly after sunrise, I will be sticking to my plan of staying out of the heavily forested parts, I will be wearing my hydration backpack, and since I can put my phone and keys in the pack, I will be running with bags of ice in my pockets. I can use them for extra hydration, but I really want them more to hold to the back of my neck if I heat up and drip the cold melted water over my head. One girl suggested doing it with old plastic water bottles, so that's an idea as well.

My brain is starting to shift into vacation mode. I need to start printing out docs, begin packing, get some last minute things and start prepping gear...like charging camera batteries. But before all of that happens, I'll get to spend parts of my weekend sitting at a softball tournament. The younger one's season ended with her regular team and she's aging out of that division, but she's helping out with another team in the division she's moving into by the end of the summer. It's just a "when they need her and if we're available" sort of thing, but it's good experience to play against the older girls before you're doing it with your regular team.

Songbird76

I'm just checking in. I took a bit of a break this week to re-read one of my favorite books...well, I want to read the whole series again, but I just read the first book for now. I think I got a bit too much sun in the last week or 2, and I'm headachy, half of my bottom lip is covered in fever blisters, and I just needed to take it easy. We had some issues. DS caught his foot in the net for the soccer goal at recess last Friday, just before school let out, so he came out with a scraped up knee and was completely freaked out by the fact it was bleeding. DH had to come rescue us, because I couldn't get DS on his bike, and couldn't get him to stop crying. So DH came and picked him up, and I biked home.
This week, DD had her closing project for school and they had to camp for a couple of nights, so I spent last week searching for inflatable sleep mats, sleeping bags, etc. So she had Monday through Wednesday off of school, but had to go to camp Wednesday night. I had to run some errands on Wednesday, and DD came with me, then we went and picked up DS from school, went back home, and then had to run a few more errands in the afternoon....my fitbit (Fitzcracker) only registered the 15 minute bike ride home on the second trip...seriously? I spent a couple of hours riding my bike that day, and it registered a whopping 15 minutes of that...and didn't register any of the hour long bike ride the day before.
Thursday, I pulled a stupid and was thinking half an hour late to pick DS up, and one of the moms called me to find out why I wasn't there yet. I had to bike like a speed demon...I felt so so bad!! I don't know why I had 3:30 in my head!!
Then yesterday, I go to pick DS up from school, and all the kids are on the playground, just like last week, when I couldn't find DS because he had fallen and skinned his knee. So I'm looking for DS and can't find him. Again, he comes out in tears. Someone ran into him with a cart at recess and he had to go in and get an ice pack...and I couldn't get him on the bike again. So we walked 2/3 of the way home before he finally said "I can't walk anymore! It will hurt anyway, but it's faster to ride, so can we try riding?" YES!!! And it was lucky we did, because we no more got home, and it had started sprinkling when I was closing our back port, and I got inside and the heavens opened up. If we had walked the rest of the way, we'd have been drenched.
But I ended up spending a lot more time outside than expected, and I think that may be why I got the fever blisters. That happens when I'm stressed, get a fever, or get too much sun. I certainly got my exercise, even though I took the time to read. I just didn't have time to be here.

Both kids are free this week until Wednesday, when DS goes to camp, and DD has to turn in all her books and get her report card. Then DS comes back Thursday afternoon, and we'll have to do the laundry real quick and pack up for Disney. We'll stay with my in-laws on Friday night because they are driving us to the airport so we don't have to pay 120 euros to park long term.

HouCuseChickie

I'm just checking in. I took a bit of a break this week to re-read one of my favorite books...well, I want to read the whole series again, but I just read the first book for now. I think I got a bit too much sun in the last week or 2, and I'm headachy, half of my bottom lip is covered in fever blisters, and I just needed to take it easy. We had some issues. DS caught his foot in the net for the soccer goal at recess last Friday, just before school let out, so he came out with a scraped up knee and was completely freaked out by the fact it was bleeding. DH had to come rescue us, because I couldn't get DS on his bike, and couldn't get him to stop crying. So DH came and picked him up, and I biked home.
This week, DD had her closing project for school and they had to camp for a couple of nights, so I spent last week searching for inflatable sleep mats, sleeping bags, etc. So she had Monday through Wednesday off of school, but had to go to camp Wednesday night. I had to run some errands on Wednesday, and DD came with me, then we went and picked up DS from school, went back home, and then had to run a few more errands in the afternoon....my fitbit (Fitzcracker) only registered the 15 minute bike ride home on the second trip...seriously? I spent a couple of hours riding my bike that day, and it registered a whopping 15 minutes of that...and didn't register any of the hour long bike ride the day before.
Thursday, I pulled a stupid and was thinking half an hour late to pick DS up, and one of the moms called me to find out why I wasn't there yet. I had to bike like a speed demon...I felt so so bad!! I don't know why I had 3:30 in my head!!
Then yesterday, I go to pick DS up from school, and all the kids are on the playground, just like last week, when I couldn't find DS because he had fallen and skinned his knee. So I'm looking for DS and can't find him. Again, he comes out in tears. Someone ran into him with a cart at recess and he had to go in and get an ice pack...and I couldn't get him on the bike again. So we walked 2/3 of the way home before he finally said "I can't walk anymore! It will hurt anyway, but it's faster to ride, so can we try riding?" YES!!! And it was lucky we did, because we no more got home, and it had started sprinkling when I was closing our back port, and I got inside and the heavens opened up. If we had walked the rest of the way, we'd have been drenched.
But I ended up spending a lot more time outside than expected, and I think that may be why I got the fever blisters. That happens when I'm stressed, get a fever, or get too much sun. I certainly got my exercise, even though I took the time to read. I just didn't have time to be here.

Both kids are free this week until Wednesday, when DS goes to camp, and DD has to turn in all her books and get her report card. Then DS comes back Thursday afternoon, and we'll have to do the laundry real quick and pack up for Disney. We'll stay with my in-laws on Friday night because they are driving us to the airport so we don't have to pay 120 euros to park long term.

Oh wow...sounds like you have a lot going on. I've been there where you get a certain time in your head just to find out it was off and you're left rushing and scrambling. It happens to the best of us. Try and get some rest. I know...often easier said than done! Not sure how much I'm going to be on here over the next couple of weeks, but have an amazing Disney trip! I know you have a PTR, so hopefully we'll get a TR from you :) And in your time! No rush.

HouCuseChickie

I've been keeping up with everything- gym & run...and it's all felt so much stronger. Saturday's long run turned out to be really good. I went a little over 7 miles on Saturday (before hitting the gym) and I felt like I had another couple more in me. Time is a work in progress, but it actually wasn't too bad and I still have a little over 2 months until my first proof of time race. I also just found another race that's right before the deadline that will give me a week off for recovery from my first try, so I've got over 2.5 months if I need that second race. And yes, I had those scary heat issues earlier last week, but on Saturday, I ran with my insulated 2L hydration pack and since I can put all of my stuff in the storage in the pack...I filled my shorts pockets with bags of ice! I probably looked ridiculous, but when it's already 82 degrees at 6:45am, you do crazy things...and it was really helpful. Today's run felt crazy humid and it was already mid 80s when I got out around 7:30am. It didn't feel as good, but better than last week. I think I may try ice for these shorter runs too until we get a break from the weather.

Songbird76

Oh wow...sounds like you have a lot going on. I've been there where you get a certain time in your head just to find out it was off and you're left rushing and scrambling. It happens to the best of us. Try and get some rest. I know...often easier said than done! Not sure how much I'm going to be on here over the next couple of weeks, but have an amazing Disney trip! I know you have a PTR, so hopefully we'll get a TR from you :) And in your time! No rush.
There will be a TR for sure....may take a while, since we're in the US for 3.5 weeks, 2 of those weeks at Disney, so there will be a LOT of ground to cover. I didn't finish my TR from 2016 because I didn't think people wanted to read about a trip that happened a month before. But now that I'm reading TRs myself, I realize that people don't care HOW long ago it was, they just want to live vicariously. So I'll take the time to do it this time. I've got a notebook so I can take notes each day. I thought about trying to do a semi-live one, but I don't know if that will happen.
So I have to work tonight until 11:00 pm, maybe later if we don't get everything done by 11. Tomorrow morning, DS goes to camp, but DH has to be across the country early in the morning, so I've made arrangements with another mom that she will bring us to the school, but I have to be at her house at 7:50, and it's a 20 minute walk. So I have to be up early, get all his camp stuff together that isn't already at the school, then once I get him on the bus to camp, I have to walk the 4 miles home, then go with DD to turn in her books, and a friend's books and get their report cards. Then we'll start packing so DH can take a load Thursday on his way to work. Then Thursday, he's off early to come pick DS up from camp, then I'll do his laundry and get the rest packed up and leave Friday. I have to work Thursday during the day, but I get off work when DS comes home from camp. It's a pretty packed schedule, but we'll get it all done.

Songbird76

I've been keeping up with everything- gym & run...and it's all felt so much stronger. Saturday's long run turned out to be really good. I went a little over 7 miles on Saturday (before hitting the gym) and I felt like I had another couple more in me. Time is a work in progress, but it actually wasn't too bad and I still have a little over 2 months until my first proof of time race. I also just found another race that's right before the deadline that will give me a week off for recovery from my first try, so I've got over 2.5 months if I need that second race. And yes, I had those scary heat issues earlier last week, but on Saturday, I ran with my insulated 2L hydration pack and since I can put all of my stuff in the storage in the pack...I filled my shorts pockets with bags of ice! I probably looked ridiculous, but when it's already 82 degrees at 6:45am, you do crazy things...and it was really helpful. Today's run felt crazy humid and it was already mid 80s when I got out around 7:30am. It didn't feel as good, but better than last week. I think I may try ice for these shorter runs too until we get a break from the weather.
I never thought of putting ice in your pockets....I remember YEARS ago, there was a tv show that featured people who had an invention they wanted to market, and there was a woman who made little sachets filled with something....you put it in the freezer, and then when you need it, you take it out and stuff it in your cleavage. It was supposed to be for women with hot flashes from menopause, but you might be able to make some sort of an ice pack for your runs?

KCheatle

Hi! Just joining this thread! This is awesome!! I also am trying to get in shape for WDW. A bit of background...I was in pretty good shape until a couple years ago. Nothing crazy, but definitely was able to get around WDW easily and without pain or fatigue, and I did it without any "pre-conditioning" needed.

About 3 years ago, I noticed that when running if I pulled my right arm back too far I would get a sharp pain. I tried to ignore it for months and months, but finally I was scared to run because the pain was too intense. And, I started noticing it when I tried the elliptical and sometimes just doing random things. So, finally, I gave in and went to the doctor.

He tried steroid injections x 3, PT for 10 weeks, and all during that time I was trying to take it easy in hopes my shoulder would calm down. Well, it didn't. That landed me in the operating room, and I ended up have a pretty extensive tear to my labrum. So, at that point, I'd been out of exercise commission for about 6 months, then I was out of commission for another 6 months after surgery until I completed PT. I walked on the treadmill almost daily after surgery, which I'm sure actually did help. But in that year, I lost SO much of my strength and endurance. It was very frustrating.

About a year after my first steroid injection, and 6 months after surgery and PT, we were back in my happy place: WDW. I thought I would be fine since I had been walking, but after a couple days I found myself in so much pain. Not in my shoulder; in my left hip. I had no idea what was going on. But, it hurt so bad the pain would wake me when I'd roll over on it during the night. I tried stretching, ice, advil, hot tub, you name it. It hurt really bad. I ended up calling my doctor from Tomorrowland to set up an appt to see him when I got home.

When I got back, the doc injected it with steroids. That.Was.Terrible! The pain got better for a few weeks, but then it came back a bit. It's a different pain than my shoulder - not sharp, more a burning/cramping pain, and it only comes on after I've isolated the hip during muscle exercises or after I run for a long distance. I figured it's just weakness that I need to work on and stretching for more flexibility.

Right after I was discharged from PT (which was a few weeks after I got back from WDW), I joined Orange Theory. I have been going about 4 times a week since. So, it's been about 7 months now.

I feel like I'm in much better shape for our upcoming November trip, but I'm still concerned about my hip. Whenever we do isolated exercises to strengthen the hip or glute, I still notice my left hip is weaker than my right, and it still "gets mad" at me afterward. Granted, I know my hip/glute muscle is stronger than it was, and I get less and less pain after running, but it is not all the way back. I'm working hard to get it back before November so my trip is free from pain! Wish me luck - and any suggestions I'll take them!

HouCuseChickie

Just wanted to pop in for a quick hi, hello, and how are you all :)

We've been doing a ton of walking, I got in a few gym workouts, ran once, and did some higher altitude hiking (about an hour of which was around 12,000 ft!). I think tomorrow is just going to be walking, but we found a beautiful lake with a 4mi trail where I'm going to try and run on Sunday.

We're taking TONS of pictures and I'm trying to remember I can take video. LOL I'm waiting for something to inspire a TR name! There's time :D

HouCuseChickie

Hi! Just joining this thread! This is awesome!! I also am trying to get in shape for WDW. A bit of background...I was in pretty good shape until a couple years ago. Nothing crazy, but definitely was able to get around WDW easily and without pain or fatigue, and I did it without any "pre-conditioning" needed.

About 3 years ago, I noticed that when running if I pulled my right arm back too far I would get a sharp pain. I tried to ignore it for months and months, but finally I was scared to run because the pain was too intense. And, I started noticing it when I tried the elliptical and sometimes just doing random things. So, finally, I gave in and went to the doctor.

He tried steroid injections x 3, PT for 10 weeks, and all during that time I was trying to take it easy in hopes my shoulder would calm down. Well, it didn't. That landed me in the operating room, and I ended up have a pretty extensive tear to my labrum. So, at that point, I'd been out of exercise commission for about 6 months, then I was out of commission for another 6 months after surgery until I completed PT. I walked on the treadmill almost daily after surgery, which I'm sure actually did help. But in that year, I lost SO much of my strength and endurance. It was very frustrating.

About a year after my first steroid injection, and 6 months after surgery and PT, we were back in my happy place: WDW. I thought I would be fine since I had been walking, but after a couple days I found myself in so much pain. Not in my shoulder; in my left hip. I had no idea what was going on. But, it hurt so bad the pain would wake me when I'd roll over on it during the night. I tried stretching, ice, advil, hot tub, you name it. It hurt really bad. I ended up calling my doctor from Tomorrowland to set up an appt to see him when I got home.

When I got back, the doc injected it with steroids. That.Was.Terrible! The pain got better for a few weeks, but then it came back a bit. It's a different pain than my shoulder - not sharp, more a burning/cramping pain, and it only comes on after I've isolated the hip during muscle exercises or after I run for a long distance. I figured it's just weakness that I need to work on and stretching for more flexibility.

Right after I was discharged from PT (which was a few weeks after I got back from WDW), I joined Orange Theory. I have been going about 4 times a week since. So, it's been about 7 months now.

I feel like I'm in much better shape for our upcoming November trip, but I'm still concerned about my hip. Whenever we do isolated exercises to strengthen the hip or glute, I still notice my left hip is weaker than my right, and it still "gets mad" at me afterward. Granted, I know my hip/glute muscle is stronger than it was, and I get less and less pain after running, but it is not all the way back. I'm working hard to get it back before November so my trip is free from pain! Wish me luck - and any suggestions I'll take them!

I see so many stories like this in my running groups and from my friend who has gone through intense back and ankle surgeries (unrelated issues). I see so many people coming out of surgery and counting down the time when they can get back to training. My friend just had a torn tendon in his ankle repaired and his doctor had him using a seated elliptical (pre-surgery) that really helped him a ton. He's still in a cast for another couple of weeks, but he's praying that he'll be allowed some time on the machine once he's moved o a boot.

I know a lot of people love Orange Theory. A lot of the people in my run groups use it for their cross training to help reduce their injury risk and boost overall fitness. I've thought about trying the one in my town, but I've put $ into a home gym, so it's hard for me to justify it right now.

I'm no doctor, so I may not have great advice or suggestions, but I can totally appreciate wanting to get back to normal and having a pain free WDW trip!

KCheatle

I see so many stories like this in my running groups and from my friend who has gone through intense back and ankle surgeries (unrelated issues). I see so many people coming out of surgery and counting down the time when they can get back to training. My friend just had a torn tendon in his ankle repaired and his doctor had him using a seated elliptical (pre-surgery) that really helped him a ton. He's still in a cast for another couple of weeks, but he's praying that he'll be allowed some time on the machine once he's moved o a boot.

I know a lot of people love Orange Theory. A lot of the people in my run groups use it for their cross training to help reduce their injury risk and boost overall fitness. I've thought about trying the one in my town, but I've put $ into a home gym, so it's hard for me to justify it right now.

I'm no doctor, so I may not have great advice or suggestions, but I can totally appreciate wanting to get back to normal and having a pain free WDW trip!

Thanks for the reply! I must confess I take some comfort in knowing I’m not the only one trying to get back to normal post surgery 😬 I will say Orange Theory is really great and I know many people even at my studio that only go four times a month just to supplement their running. I love it because it includes running, and other workouts don’t usually have running included. I definitely like to include running in my workout 🏃🏻‍♀️

epcotisbest

Have not posted any grilling photos lately because we have been gone for awhile. We spent a week at Sanibel Island just enjoying the beach and picking up seashells and hanging by the pool. Then my wife spent a week in Savannah, so yesterday was the first time we have both been home at the same time in a couple of weeks.
So, today seemed like a good day to fire up the grill. Made some 3-2-1 baby back ribs and a big ole pot of Brunswick stew. Tasty. Used a couple of different kinds of rubs on the ribs which is why they are different colors.

ribs.jpgstew.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom