working out for Disney

Sans Souci

Good morning. 🌸

Checking in with a full body workout. It had a "bonus" 20 min bicep workout afterwards. I might be skipping these "bonus" workouts going forward. It gets too long.

My son's lent started the other day. He is Greek Orthodox, even though neither my husband or myself are Greek or religious. (I don't even know how this happened.) He is basically vegan until the Orthodox Easter happens. I'd like to see how this will play out. He is addicted to butter chicken from a nearby Indian restaurant, he gets it every Saturday night. He drinks gallons of milk a week and he eats a lot of fish. This is going to be interesting. He said he is not having Easter dinner with us. I really don't want to cook an Easter dinner for two. At least when he eats, it's like 2 people eating, so I don't feel like my effort is wasted. I'm a little frustrated because I already bought a ham. He never told me he was going to be observing Orthodox Lent this year. :cautious: I might look into a brunch or something. :p

Sans Souci

I keep waiting to be dive bombed. I think it was peak pandemic, spring 2020, when a robin fledgling sought shelter in this same breezeway. I was trying to protect it from the dogs, but the robins and cardinals ganged up on me and were aiming for my head. These wrens don't seem too bothered by us. I have to get back up there today to replace the camera batteries.

Supposedly, yes. Most people recommend keeping the speed at 2 MPH or less. Anything faster and it becomes very difficult to type. I don't stand still very well, so focusing my movement to gentle walking may improve my overall focus while on my feet. I need to find the balance between standing and sitting. Too much standing also isn't good. Yesterday, I stood for a little over 5 hours of my workday...which is apparently too much. I've been reading that 4 hours should be the max. It did something because my legs felt like I'd been walking all day and my lower back is achy. Was your husband's desk at home or in the office?

I was wondering what it would be like typing while walking with shifting weight back and forth. I didn't know that standing beyond 4 hours is bad for you. I think you can get varicose veins for standing in one place everyday over a long period of time.

My husband used his standing desk at home. I never asked why he stopped, but I think it ended when he started working in Manhattan. Once covid hit, like a lot of people, he worked from home. Then he switched jobs within his agency and he started going back to work in mid 2022. He walks a lot when he works in Manhattan and he has to go between 2 offices in a work day, so he is also taking the subway a lot. lol

Songbird76

Good morning. 🌸

Checking in with a full body workout. It had a "bonus" 20 min bicep workout afterwards. I might be skipping these "bonus" workouts going forward. It gets too long.

My son's lent started the other day. He is Greek Orthodox, even though neither my husband or myself are Greek or religious. (I don't even know how this happened.) He is basically vegan until the Orthodox Easter happens. I'd like to see how this will play out. He is addicted to butter chicken from a nearby Indian restaurant, he gets it every Saturday night. He drinks gallons of milk a week and he eats a lot of fish. This is going to be interesting. He said he is not having Easter dinner with us. I really don't want to cook an Easter dinner for two. At least when he eats, it's like 2 people eating, so I don't feel like my effort is wasted. I'm a little frustrated because I already bought a ham. He never told me he was going to be observing Orthodox Lent this year. :cautious: I might look into a brunch or something. :p
Where did he encounter the Greek Orthodox church that he decided to join up? I mean, you hear about missionaries in foreign countries, or people finding religion later in life....a lot of times in a 12-step program for sobriety, or because of a romantic relationship with someone who asks them to convert. But it's not often that you hear of someone just deciding to become Greek Orthodox. And how long has he been involved in this church? It should be interesting to see how this Lent season goes!

HouCuseChickie

I was wondering what it would be like typing while walking with shifting weight back and forth. I didn't know that standing beyond 4 hours is bad for you. I think you can get varicose veins for standing in one place everyday over a long period of time.

My husband used his standing desk at home. I never asked why he stopped, but I think it ended when he started working in Manhattan. Once covid hit, like a lot of people, he worked from home. Then he switched jobs within his agency and he started going back to work in mid 2022. He walks a lot when he works in Manhattan and he has to go between 2 offices in a work day, so he is also taking the subway a lot. lol

I'm concerned about that as well. It was an issue when I had my desk cycle. Supposedly, this is where finding the sweet spot with speed comes into the mix. I always thought 8 hours was when things started to become problematic, but when I search standing desks and how long is too long, everything says over 4 and to take a stand for 30 sit for 30 approach throughout the day. I saw the varicose vein concern as well as general circulation issues and pressure point pains. I don't know...I stood 5.5 hours yesterday and 5 today and I'm feeling a lot less sluggish.

It sounds like he walks and moves around enough to compensate for downtime at the desk. I find that I walk a lot more if I go into the office. Granted, this is not a walking city like Manhattan, so even going into the office surely doesn't get us the number of steps he'd probably get in a day.

Sans Souci

Where did he encounter the Greek Orthodox church that he decided to join up? I mean, you hear about missionaries in foreign countries, or people finding religion later in life....a lot of times in a 12-step program for sobriety, or because of a romantic relationship with someone who asks them to convert. But it's not often that you hear of someone just deciding to become Greek Orthodox. And how long has he been involved in this church? It should be interesting to see how this Lent season goes!

I think he means Eastern Orthodox, because Greek Orthodox is centered around the Greek nationality. But they all follow the same calendar. He doesn't go to mass. I think he found a church that does online services. There is a Greek Orthodox Church in town and he wanted to go, but he wanted my husband and me to go with him. My husband offered to drop him off and pick him up. I am a live and let live person, but he lectures me about some of the things I do. I read tarot cards for fun and laughs--this is "demonic", as is doing yoga. He corrects me when I say "Oh my God." But he can put a drill sergeant to shame with some of his language. I have no idea where any of this came from. Sometimes, I think it's my mother, because I know they text and call each other and she goes through phases where she joins different Christian sects. She is currently a Nazarene. I don't know if she was the one encouraging him to become religious or what. I don't care that he wants to be Eastern Orthodox, but I told him that tolerance is not a one way street.

Sans Souci

I'm concerned about that as well. It was an issue when I had my desk cycle. Supposedly, this is where finding the sweet spot with speed comes into the mix. I always thought 8 hours was when things started to become problematic, but when I search standing desks and how long is too long, everything says over 4 and to take a stand for 30 sit for 30 approach throughout the day. I saw the varicose vein concern as well as general circulation issues and pressure point pains. I don't know...I stood 5.5 hours yesterday and 5 today and I'm feeling a lot less sluggish.

It sounds like he walks and moves around enough to compensate for downtime at the desk. I find that I walk a lot more if I go into the office. Granted, this is not a walking city like Manhattan, so even going into the office surely doesn't get us the number of steps he'd probably get in a day.

My back hurts if I stand too long in one place. It's weird, because I am not someone who has back issues. I used to work at Starbucks and they had anti-fatigue gel mats in front of the terminals, but they didn't have any in front of the espresso machines. I didn't realize how helpful those mats are until I had to work on the espresso machine. My knees, hips and back always hurt after a shift on the espresso machine.

HouCuseChickie

I'm walking as I type this. :) I've had to take several breaks. It's nice to start moving after just standing for a while, but it definitely takes some coordination. I've only gotten in about 1.5 miles so far today, but again...better than nothing AND the day isn't over. 1.2 MPH seems to be my sweet spot for now. I have learned several things...

1. Walking, typing and mouse work isn't too bad, but I can't do much else. I had to jump off one of the times I checked my phone because my balance was off.
2. Finding a good position for the keyboard is a challenge, but any alterations need to occur when I'm stopped and with the keyboard off the tray. I've had multiple instances where I've sent things flying because I tried to alter stuff while I'm moving/working.
3. The noise of the belt is quiet enough that I can use it on calls.
4. If I don't focus on the screens while doing this, I get vertigo.

I'm also noticing that my feet don't tolerate standing as much with the walking in the mix.

Beyond that, my baby birds appear to have grown up enough to fly away. I got some decent footage the last few days...before the camera batteries died. I replaced them last night just to see the "fly away" this morning. I checked the nest after a few hours of inactivity and it appears empty. I made some compilation videos and observed some interesting behaviors. One of them is pretty gross, but interesting nonetheless. I'll spare you the details, but what I originally thought was some kind of traditional avian regurgitation practice was actually nature's version of birdie diapers to keep predators and illness away. Today has also been interesting. The adults revisited the nest several times since fly-away with food in beak even though the babies had left. I also saw one of them on the fence a little while ago with a bright green caterpillar. Speaking of...these birds also hunt fish! One of them brought the chicks a little minnow type fish the other day. I'm guessing they're getting some kind of lesson on fending for yourself and finding your own food today. I'm going to keep the camera up there to see if any of them return for the night. If not, David wants to take down the nest this weekend.

StarWarsGirl

I'm walking as I type this. :) I've had to take several breaks. It's nice to start moving after just standing for a while, but it definitely takes some coordination. I've only gotten in about 1.5 miles so far today, but again...better than nothing AND the day isn't over. 1.2 MPH seems to be my sweet spot for now. I have learned several things...

1. Walking, typing and mouse work isn't too bad, but I can't do much else. I had to jump off one of the times I checked my phone because my balance was off.
2. Finding a good position for the keyboard is a challenge, but any alterations need to occur when I'm stopped and with the keyboard off the tray. I've had multiple instances where I've sent things flying because I tried to alter stuff while I'm moving/working.
3. The noise of the belt is quiet enough that I can use it on calls.
4. If I don't focus on the screens while doing this, I get vertigo.

I'm also noticing that my feet don't tolerate standing as much with the walking in the mix.

Beyond that, my baby birds appear to have grown up enough to fly away. I got some decent footage the last few days...before the camera batteries died. I replaced them last night just to see the "fly away" this morning. I checked the nest after a few hours of inactivity and it appears empty. I made some compilation videos and observed some interesting behaviors. One of them is pretty gross, but interesting nonetheless. I'll spare you the details, but what I originally thought was some kind of traditional avian regurgitation practice was actually nature's version of birdie diapers to keep predators and illness away. Today has also been interesting. The adults revisited the nest several times since fly-away with food in beak even though the babies had left. I also saw one of them on the fence a little while ago with a bright green caterpillar. Speaking of...these birds also hunt fish! One of them brought the chicks a little minnow type fish the other day. I'm guessing they're getting some kind of lesson on fending for yourself and finding your own food today. I'm going to keep the camera up there to see if any of them return for the night. If not, David wants to take down the nest this weekend.
I'm jealous you can walk and work; my own vertigo/motion sickness could never...

Sans Souci

Hello-

Today was leg day and I went out for a walk. It is not as nice today as it was this time last week, but better days are coming.

I am making a lemon tiramisu for Easter. Traditionally, it's made with raw egg whites whipped into a merengue and folded into a lemon-mascarpone mix. This is a no bake recipe. I don't think that's a great idea in this country, the alternative is whipped cream folded into a lemon-mascarpone mix, but that sounds too rich. I am trying to figure out if the pasteurized egg whites in the carton will whip into soft peaks. I am finding conflicting info.

HouCuseChickie

I think he means Eastern Orthodox, because Greek Orthodox is centered around the Greek nationality. But they all follow the same calendar. He doesn't go to mass. I think he found a church that does online services. There is a Greek Orthodox Church in town and he wanted to go, but he wanted my husband and me to go with him. My husband offered to drop him off and pick him up. I am a live and let live person, but he lectures me about some of the things I do. I read tarot cards for fun and laughs--this is "demonic", as is doing yoga. He corrects me when I say "Oh my God." But he can put a drill sergeant to shame with some of his language. I have no idea where any of this came from. Sometimes, I think it's my mother, because I know they text and call each other and she goes through phases where she joins different Christian sects. She is currently a Nazarene. I don't know if she was the one encouraging him to become religious or what. I don't care that he wants to be Eastern Orthodox, but I told him that tolerance is not a one way street.

Apparently, all Greek Orthodox churches are Eastern Orthodox, but not all Eastern Orthodox is Greek Orthodox. K used to be friends with a girl whose family is of Palestinian origins and they referred to themselves as Greek Orthodox. Some of what you're describing reminds me of the girl's grandmother. I can say this...if he decides to go to their services and they do a bake sale, get him to bring home goodies! I was sent a tin of yummy stuff during this period back when K was still hanging out with this girl.

Songbird76

Oh that drives me nuts. My mom was like that, too. I remember once we were at a mall and my brother and I wanted to go into this novelty store that had all sorts of fantasy things like dragon sculptures, and gargoyles, and some rune necklaces, etc...my mom refused to go in and as we walked in she mumbled "Anything satanic." Um, mom, they literally carved gargoyles on churches AGAINST demons.

HouCuseChickie

My back hurts if I stand too long in one place. It's weird, because I am not someone who has back issues. I used to work at Starbucks and they had anti-fatigue gel mats in front of the terminals, but they didn't have any in front of the espresso machines. I didn't realize how helpful those mats are until I had to work on the espresso machine. My knees, hips and back always hurt after a shift on the espresso machine.

I've had lower back pain on and off in adult life. It is so easy for me to throw my back out and be in pain for weeks. I put a mat like what you've described on my Amazon wish list. While footwear cushion helps, a little extra floor cushion can't hurt when I push the treadmill to the side.

Sans Souci

Oh that drives me nuts. My mom was like that, too. I remember once we were at a mall and my brother and I wanted to go into this novelty store that had all sorts of fantasy things like dragon sculptures, and gargoyles, and some rune necklaces, etc...my mom refused to go in and as we walked in she mumbled "Anything satanic." Um, mom, they literally carved gargoyles on churches AGAINST demons.

Yes, my mom was like that, too. It always made me cringe, even as a kid. My mom was raised Catholic and went to catholic schools, but she went off the rails when I was a kid. She started going to a Pentacostal/Charismatic-type church and was always at a bible study. We moved, she found another one. She claimed to have spoken in tongues. She would watch the 700 Hundred Club, but she sure didn't act like a Christian in private. It was weird, because she listened to pop music, she watched TV shows and went to the movies. I think her Christianity is performative and I think she practices it because she sees it was a way to act as she pleases and then asks for forgiveness for every transgression. I mean, I went to Catholic schools, too, but I was taught you're supposed to try to lead a life that follows Christ's example and when you slip, you seek forgiveness. You're not supposed to go out into the world and purposely be a jerk knowing you can ask for forgiveness.

HouCuseChickie

I can't do a treadmill at all. Something about the movement makes me horribly dizzy/nauseated. I wish; it'd be nice just to get some walking in on rainy days... *sigh*. Not that I'm entirely surprised; I get car sick and motion sick on FOP.

Sam can get that way. She's always had some level of motion sickness. She often has to be careful with window seats on the plane.

Sans Souci

Apparently, all Greek Orthodox churches are Eastern Orthodox, but not all Eastern Orthodox is Greek Orthodox. K used to be friends with a girl whose family is of Palestinian origins and they referred to themselves as Greek Orthodox. Some of what you're describing reminds me of the girl's grandmother. I can say this...if he decides to go to their services and they do a bake sale, get him to bring home goodies! I was sent a tin of yummy stuff during this period back when K was still hanging out with this girl.

Yeah, I wasn't sure, because I have seen churches that are Serbian or Russian Orthodox Church. I am laughing about the food aspect. I am like that, too. This Greek Orthodox Church near me has a "Greek Fest" every year and I always say I want to go for the food. I love spanakopita, tiropita and dolmades.

Sans Souci

I can't do a treadmill at all. Something about the movement makes me horribly dizzy/nauseated. I wish; it'd be nice just to get some walking in on rainy days... *sigh*. Not that I'm entirely surprised; I get car sick and motion sick on FOP.

When I was kid, I would read in the car. I can't that anymore. I can't even do it on a train. Star Tours is a tough ride for me.

HouCuseChickie

Mixed feelings on the walking/standing desk on day 2. Yesterday was reasonably successful. The walking pad doesn't pause and I don't have it in me to log every little on and off stint. Still, I know I walked around 3 hours yesterday and went at a speed of 1.2MPH. I was on my feet a little over 5 hours. My legs were angry, so I biked for a bit afterwards. I put in a little over 6.3 miles on the bike. Today, my feet are really achy and I have some soreness in my leg. It's just walking, but my body is not used to this during my workday. I've been on my feet for about 7 hours so far. I only sat at "lunch" and for a handful of small breaks. I've walked close to 3 miles... the first hour was at 1.6-2MPH, but subsequent walks have been anywhere from 1-1.4 MPH. My feet are angry right now, but it's because I had to switch shoes. The ones I was in got wet during my midday break at a choir mtg and I can't stand and walk in wet shoes. I'll probably bike again today. I'm also not loving the keyboard/mouse stand. If I can keep this up, I'm going to invest in a true standing desk that can be electronically raised and lowered. They are pretty reasonable and I got a rec from a coworker.

I'm getting pretty annoyed with my position on the school choir board. Most of the board is made up for SAHMs, so there's no real understanding of a work schedule. I mean, they try...but It's rare that my opinions are taken into consideration, which makes me sour. On top of that, we had a concert the other week and my name was omitted from the program. I guess I won't be helping recruit my replacement!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom