working out for Disney

Songbird76

No, it doesn't. We put bananas in the frig all the time, because they last longer. Sometimes the color of the outside peel looks darker, but when you open it up, the banana inside is fine.
I just remember when I was in like jr. high or high school, my brother's best friend only liked bananas when they were almost black on the outside. So we would put them in the fridge, and then in a brown paper bag to ripen them faster for him. We went on a day trip to the state fair and we always saved money by bringing a cooler full of food. And I remember my mom making hotdogs and putting them in a thermos bottle to keep them hot, and drinks in a cooler with ice, and bananas in a paper bag, and I thought she had put them in the fridge overnight to help.

I bet google would have an answer on how to ripen them faster.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Google says to put them in a brown paper bag and loosely fold the top over, and to speed up the process, put an avocado or apple in the bag too.
All I know is that we put them in the frig (uncovered) and they last a longer time -- no fast ripening, because we want to prolong their shelf life. Perhaps it's the paper bag method you mentioned, that speeds up the ripening, when that is the goal. That's fine as well.

Lilofan

I just remember when I was in like jr. high or high school, my brother's best friend only liked bananas when they were almost black on the outside. So we would put them in the fridge, and then in a brown paper bag to ripen them faster for him. We went on a day trip to the state fair and we always saved money by bringing a cooler full of food. And I remember my mom making hotdogs and putting them in a thermos bottle to keep them hot, and drinks in a cooler with ice, and bananas in a paper bag, and I thought she had put them in the fridge overnight to help.

I bet google would have an answer on how to ripen them faster.
How about putting the unripe bananas in the microwave to make them soft?

Lilofan

They can explode like an egg if you leave them in too long
I googled that one can make a makeshift hot compress with tube sock filled with white rice. Tie up sock and put in microwave for a few min then put warm sock on part of your body that needs heat. I put the sock filled with uncooked rice in the microwave for too long and the sock caught on fire in the microwave. I quickly pushed Stop and I threw a pot of cold water into the microwave to put out the fire and smoke. Never again.

Sans Souci

Re: bananas. I read to put them in a brown paper bag with a piece of ripened fruit. I only had Ziplock bags, so I put a few bananas in with a ripened banana and I left about an half inch "unlocked" to help with releasing moisture. They are marginally better, I will sample before deciding to use them. I do have 2 ready to go bananas and if that is all I have, then that is what I am using. It's only for the three of us, so I can make do. If I was brining this to a BBQ, I'd definitely go to the store for more bananas.

The irony is I have about 4 bananas that are too ripe and mushy for banana pudding, but perfect for banana bread. 🤣

If I have an avocado that is ripening too quickly before I need it, I stick it in the fridge and that slows down the ripening process by a day or two. Although for the past 2 years or so, it seems like the avocados haven't been that great. I don't know if I am unlucky or they are harvesting avocados too early to keep up with demand, but pre-pandemic, I was routinely buying avocados that were 🤌💯. Now they are kind of rubbish.

Figgy1

Original Poster
I googled that one can make a makeshift hot compress with tube sock filled with white rice. Tie up sock and put in microwave for a few min then put warm sock on part of your body that needs heat. I put the sock filled with uncooked rice in the microwave for too long and the sock caught on fire in the microwave. I quickly pushed Stop and I threw a pot of cold water into the microwave to put out the fire and smoke. Never again.
The socks have to be 100% cotton which is why socks aren't the best choice. I make rice bags for people all the time but I make sure the lining fabric, outer fabric and thread are 100% COTTON, otherwise have a fire extinguisher nearby and 911 on speed dial

Figgy1

Original Poster
Re: bananas. I read to put them in a brown paper bag with a piece of ripened fruit. I only had Ziplock bags, so I put a few bananas in with a ripened banana and I left about an half inch "unlocked" to help with releasing moisture. They are marginally better, I will sample before deciding to use them. I do have 2 ready to go bananas and if that is all I have, then that is what I am using. It's only for the three of us, so I can make do. If I was brining this to a BBQ, I'd definitely go to the store for more bananas.

The irony is I have about 4 bananas that are too ripe and mushy for banana pudding, but perfect for banana bread. 🤣

If I have an avocado that is ripening too quickly before I need it, I stick it in the fridge and that slows down the ripening process by a day or two. Although for the past 2 years or so, it seems like the avocados haven't been that great. I don't know if I am unlucky or they are harvesting avocados too early to keep up with demand, but pre-pandemic, I was routinely buying avocados that were 🤌💯. Now they are kind of rubbish.
Sorry to hear that! I've had rather good luck with avocados lately at Aldi and they're cheaper than everywhere else

HouCuseChickie

Google says to put them in a brown paper bag and loosely fold the top over, and to speed up the process, put an avocado or apple in the bag too.

All I know is that we put them in the frig (uncovered) and they last a longer time -- no fast ripening, because we want to prolong their shelf life. Perhaps it's the paper bag method you mentioned, that speeds up the ripening, when that is the goal. That's fine as well.

How about putting the unripe bananas in the microwave to make them soft?

While it turns the peels black, if you want to quickly ripen bananas, you can bake them on 300 for about 30-40 minutes. It softens them and helps the sugars develop to taste like a naturally ripened banana. I use this method for my banana cake. If I want to make them last and ripen more slowly, they go in the fridge. We usually have to do this because we live in a warm climate and they go bad too quickly if left on the counter.

We are also usually pretty lucky with our avocados. They ripen so fast here that I intentionally buy underripe ones. After a day or two on the counter, they usually are just right to go in the fridge. After that, they're good in there for at least a week or two. If they go straight to fridge, they seem to ripen in a funky manner...partly underripe and other parts almost rotting prematurely.

HouCuseChickie

No real workout updates as I've been dealing with some tummy issues. Although, we did have something open up that's free to the public that we might check out. I really don't see myself using it, but the kids are interested...

1685456892307.png1685457039487.png
I can't see myself doing much (if any) of the obstacle course, but I could probably mix in the cardio/strength/cross training equipment in with some obstacles less likely to kill me! 🤣 It's about a 2 mile walk (4 miles roundtrip). So, it might be worth trying before we get to the point where it's surface of the sun hot.

Hopefully everyone had a nice weekend. We had a peaceful Friday-Sunday, getting in lots of NCAA softball viewing and finishing up season 5 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Yesterday was much busier. Sam had a practice on the other side of town that turned into a double scrimmage and BBQ. We then rushed home so I could finish up our home meal prep, on top of Sam going to batting and FaceTime with family. School is out until August 9th, but these girls are going to be so busy that it won't be much of a summer break. Kendall has her second round with the SAT this Saturday, she needs to finish up her essays and college application prep, she has two dual enrollment summer courses for college credits, still doing the weekly volunteering/internship at the library, Region/All State choir camp, weekly choir convocation prep, and the bowling club (no idea where that came from). Sam, of course, has lots of softball...tournaments nearly every week, collegiate camps, practices, high school camp, and even 5-6 weeks of strength and conditioning camp. At least Kendall is covering a lot of the driving, so that frees up some personal time.

Lilofan

While it turns the peels black, if you want to quickly ripen bananas, you can bake them on 300 for about 30-40 minutes. It softens them and helps the sugars develop to taste like a naturally ripened banana. I use this method for my banana cake. If I want to make them last and ripen more slowly, they go in the fridge. We usually have to do this because we live in a warm climate and they go bad too quickly if left on the counter.

We are also usually pretty lucky with our avocados. They ripen so fast here that I intentionally buy underripe ones. After a day or two on the counter, they usually are just right to go in the fridge. After that, they're good in there for at least a week or two. If they go straight to fridge, they seem to ripen in a funky manner...partly underripe and other parts almost rotting prematurely.
Also in hot climates ants can spot any sugar substance a mile away and form a pact of ants attacking whatever they find in the kitchen on the counter or even if you drop anything sweet on the floor. if any food is on the counter I put them in zip lock bags .

Sans Souci

No real workout updates as I've been dealing with some tummy issues. Although, we did have something open up that's free to the public that we might check out. I really don't see myself using it, but the kids are interested...

View attachment 719689View attachment 719690
I can't see myself doing much (if any) of the obstacle course, but I could probably mix in the cardio/strength/cross training equipment in with some obstacles less likely to kill me! 🤣 It's about a 2 mile walk (4 miles roundtrip). So, it might be worth trying before we get to the point where it's surface of the sun hot.

Hopefully everyone had a nice weekend. We had a peaceful Friday-Sunday, getting in lots of NCAA softball viewing and finishing up season 5 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Yesterday was much busier. Sam had a practice on the other side of town that turned into a double scrimmage and BBQ. We then rushed home so I could finish up our home meal prep, on top of Sam going to batting and FaceTime with family. School is out until August 9th, but these girls are going to be so busy that it won't be much of a summer break. Kendall has her second round with the SAT this Saturday, she needs to finish up her essays and college application prep, she has two dual enrollment summer courses for college credits, still doing the weekly volunteering/internship at the library, Region/All State choir camp, weekly choir convocation prep, and the bowling club (no idea where that came from). Sam, of course, has lots of softball...tournaments nearly every week, collegiate camps, practices, high school camp, and even 5-6 weeks of strength and conditioning camp. At least Kendall is covering a lot of the driving, so that frees up some personal time.

This looks like a lot of fun. I'd try it out just for a bit of fun.

That sounds way too busy for me! Wow, good for them. Are you guys going to any National Parks this summer?

Sans Souci

Hello-

Yesterday was a lower body workout and today was just a shoulder workout.

I was able to use three bananas for this banana pudding. It was the recipe for the Magnolia Bakery banana pudding. I have never had it, so I don't know how faithful it is to the real deal. It was really good. I'm pretty sure my son ate most of it.

I'm up at my husband's apartment. Something blew up at work and he had to work through the weekend. So he is cashing in his hours on Thursday and we were going to spend the day in Manhattan. I have no plans, I'm just going to play it by ear.

Songbird76

Hello-

Yesterday was a lower body workout and today was just a shoulder workout.

I was able to use three bananas for this banana pudding. It was the recipe for the Magnolia Bakery banana pudding. I have never had it, so I don't know how faithful it is to the real deal. It was really good. I'm pretty sure my son ate most of it.

I'm up at my husband's apartment. Something blew up at work and he had to work through the weekend. So he is cashing in his hours on Thursday and we were going to spend the day in Manhattan. I have no plans, I'm just going to play it by ear.
Well, the reason he has time to cash in isn't fun, but yay for a play day!

HouCuseChickie

Also in hot climates ants can spot any sugar substance a mile away and form a pact of ants attacking whatever they find in the kitchen on the counter or even if you drop anything sweet on the floor. if any food is on the counter I put them in zip lock bags .

What's funny...we get sugar ants in our dishwasher, but they have no interest in anything else. I can leave a full-blown cake on the counter and they couldn't care less, but a dirty plate inside an appliance is a slice of heaven.

HouCuseChickie

This looks like a lot of fun. I'd try it out just for a bit of fun.

That sounds way too busy for me! Wow, good for them. Are you guys going to any National Parks this summer?

We're going to try. We'll be in Colorado for a little over a week (taking the NM/southern CO route for the scenery). I have passes to Rocky Mountain NP, but Sam may accept an invite to a college camp that would cause a time conflict. She's pretty excited about it and it would be a good experience, but we're all on the fence for a number of reasons. We are taking the long way home and stopping in Rapid City, SD for a few days. We'll pass through some of southeastern WY along the way. I bought tour passes for Wind Cave NP in SD, which is new to us. So, I guess that's one confirmed NP. My husband isn't interested in going back to Badlands NP (even though I would like another visit), but we're probably going to pop into Wall Drug which is nearby, so we may pop in anyway if I'm the one behind the wheel at the time. 🤣 It is one of the parks where I still need a tree ornament, so it might be justified! I also booked a pass for Custer State Park, which has lots of wildlife and some unique views of Mount Rushmore, so that will also take up a chunk of our time. We MAY pay to park at Mount Rushmore if we're up for some ice cream, since we ran out of time to try Jefferson's ice cream during our last visit. We're driving home through NE, KS, and OK so that K can look at a few schools along the way.

Songbird76

We're going to try. We'll be in Colorado for a little over a week (taking the NM/southern CO route for the scenery). I have passes to Rocky Mountain NP, but Sam may accept an invite to a college camp that would cause a time conflict. She's pretty excited about it and it would be a good experience, but we're all on the fence for a number of reasons. We are taking the long way home and stopping in Rapid City, SD for a few days. We'll pass through some of southeastern WY along the way. I bought tour passes for Wind Cave NP in SD, which is new to us. So, I guess that's one confirmed NP. My husband isn't interested in going back to Badlands NP (even though I would like another visit), but we're probably going to pop into Wall Drug which is nearby, so we may pop in anyway if I'm the one behind the wheel at the time. 🤣 It is one of the parks where I still need a tree ornament, so it might be justified! I also booked a pass for Custer State Park, which has lots of wildlife and some unique views of Mount Rushmore, so that will also take up a chunk of our time. We MAY pay to park at Mount Rushmore if we're up for some ice cream, since we ran out of time to try Jefferson's ice cream during our last visit. We're driving home through NE, KS, and OK so that K can look at a few schools along the way.
Oh that Ice cream at Mount Rushmore is soooo good. Love it!

If you are going through South Eastern Wyoming, you could check out the Snowies. (Snowy Range mountains) Lake Marie is gorgeous. There are pictures in my trip report... The wild west a real cliffhanger one. And my brother owns a restaurant in Centennial. His husband's family does the cooking. His mom, Granny Sue, makes amazing cinnamon rolls. And in the evenings they have live music out back a lot of nights. Bear bottom grill if you are interested.

HouCuseChickie

Oh that Ice cream at Mount Rushmore is soooo good. Love it!

If you are going through South Eastern Wyoming, you could check out the Snowies. (Snowy Range mountains) Lake Marie is gorgeous. There are pictures in my trip report... The wild west a real cliffhanger one. And my brother owns a restaurant in Centennial. His husband's family does the cooking. His mom, Granny Sue, makes amazing cinnamon rolls. And in the evenings they have live music out back a lot of nights. Bear bottom grill if you are interested.

I think some of us visiting will also hinge on crowds. It will be the 4th of July, and for some reason, visiting Mt. Rushmore on the 4th sounds like it might be chaos.

We may do that. I think it's going to be a "day of" kind of decision. We'll be on day 8 of our trip when we make that drive...which appears to be about 5-6 hours, not counting stops. After what could be a pretty intense softball schedule, I'm not sure if we'll be in an "Are we there yet?" mode or if it'll be a case of wanderlust, where everyone's good adding on some time to see a new and pretty place. It would likely be lunch or snack time if we made that side trip along the way.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I have been keeping up with my workouts, until today. I woke up pretty dehydrated and feeling nauseous. We walked around Manhattan on Thursday for about 4 hours and I deliberately limited liquids because I was concerned about finding a clean bathroom. It wasn't super hot, but the top I was wearing wasn't very breathable. It felt like my top was made of plastic lol. Then yesterday, it was 95 here and was outside doing yard work. I think I wasn't keeping up with my hydration. So, I woke up with a banging headache and I thought I was going to be sick. I've been drinking water today and my husband got a few bottles of Gatorade. I didn't workout and I didn't even go for a walk. I am prioritizing hydration! I feel better tonight though, so maybe tomorrow I'll workout to maybe I'll take another day off.

My husband booked our flights to England. We're changing planes in Dublin and it looks like it's so much easier transfer than Heathrow. On the way back, we go through US customs in Dublin, so all we need to do is collect our luggage in Philly. When my son decides to go, I think I'll book his flights to go through Dublin. I'll feel so much better about him going through Dublin over Heathrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom