working out for Disney

Sans Souci

I don't remember anything about pacifiers or baby bottles during my school days, but I do remember hearing about it later on. The drug landscape changed a bit between high school and college, but in high school it was a mix of weed (various kinds- including some more exotic stuff), mushrooms, cocaine, and some pill-based hallucinogens. In college, X and acid joined the mix. Growing up outside of NYC, it almost seemed like it was expected and I've always suspected that this went beyond just the kids. That's really awful that the girl lost her life to someone else's substance abuse. I remember you saying how twisted the admins were at your school. It's just awful when adults take out their pettiness on the kids. It often makes me wonder why these people stayed in education.

I know people used pacifiers at raves because of teeth grinding that comes from MDMA/X/Molly. It was the same for me with drugs that were prevalent in my HS and then more man-made ones in college.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I'm still working out. I am just lifting weights and walking. My husband and I went to Phoenix for a few nights a few weeks ago. It was freakishly cold with freezing temps at night. The resort we stayed at was covering their landscaping for protection. But we still had a good time. I did manage to use the hot tub on our final day. It was a very unusual resort. It was a bunch of adobe brick rooms. It was built in the 30s, but it is really cool. We're going back in September for an entire week. We went to the Desert Botanical Garden and had afternoon tea at The Phoenician.

Afternoon tea dessert.
IMG_1219.jpeg

IMG_2326.jpeg

View from our room

IMG_2327.jpegIMG_2403.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg
Restaurant/bar area
IMG_2392.jpeg

Afternoon tea
IMG_1218.jpeg

Last edited:

Sans Souci

There are different kinds of weed??? Wow. 3 years of D.A.R.E. and they never taught us that!!

I started using cannabidiol (CBD) gummy bears for my anxiety. I take them a few hours before bed and I don't wake up with thoughts that spiral out of control. I feel so much more refreshed and rested when I wake up. It doesn't get you high at all, otherwise I wouldn't take it. But it takes the edge off my anxiety. The downside is they are kind of expensive.

Sans Souci

Good morning-

Checking in with a full body strength training workout from YouTube. I am going up to Jersey City with my husband tonight. I haven't been since October. I hope the gym has cleared out a bit from the New Year's crowd. My husband got me kettlebells to use in his apartment, so if it's too crowded, I have those as a back up. I made some cinnamon macarons this weekend. I hadn't made them in over three years, so some shells were hollow and a few were "blown out" at the top. But they tasted good. I used cinnamon oil for making candy to flavor them, so they have a bite to them.

HouCuseChickie

There are different kinds of weed??? Wow. 3 years of D.A.R.E. and they never taught us that!!

At some point in high school, I remember some guy bragging because he'd gotten bags of indica and Thai. Since then, I've heard of sativa as well as a variety of hybrids...all of which produce different effects and have different intensities. Scent, smoothness, metabolization and "taste" also are factors you hear about with them. In college, I took a handful of courses tied to drugs and human behavior and there was usually a section on this kind of stuff before it got into the harder substances. I think it even came up in my BioPsych class, which was more about studying the different impacts on the brain itself. From what I understand, medical grade approved for things like cancer pain relief, is derived from sativa.

HouCuseChickie

I started using cannabidiol (CBD) gummy bears for my anxiety. I take them a few hours before bed and I don't wake up with thoughts that spiral out of control. I feel so much more refreshed and rested when I wake up. It doesn't get you high at all, otherwise I wouldn't take it. But it takes the edge off my anxiety. The downside is they are kind of expensive.

I have several friends who take gummies for anxiety as well. I can't recall which ones my one friend buys, but I know they run sales from time to time. One also uses CBD cream on his bad ankle. He's said it's better on the pain than any prescription "solutions" he's been given.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

I know people used pacifiers at raves because of teeth grinding that comes from MDMA/X/Molly. It was the same for me with drugs that were prevalent in my HS and then more man-made ones in college.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember hearing about this. It was post-college life for me, but I was living and working in the same town as University of Florida. One of my restaurant coworkers was a UF student and she was really big into going to raves. She took a lot of different stuff and thought we were old and boring for just going to the bars and having drinks. 🤣 In any event, now that you mention it, I believe she brought up something about pacifiers or baby bottles.

Songbird76

Oh, no. I hope you guys are on the mend soon. It seems like you are getting hit with a lot of stuff at once. It sounds like your son is back home and eating? That must have been so stressful for you guys. :(
Yes, thank goodness he's back to his old self. But now I can't cook for him. E's doing all the grocery shopping and cooking and stuff because my husband and I are both in isolation. He's getting food, but nothing of a substantial nature because he won't eat most of the things E can make, so he's eating stuff like hotdogs, and chips, and croissants. Poor kid. I feel bad, but I don't want to give him covid, and I don't have the energy to cook even if I WASN'T worried about that. But I'm grateful that E has stepped up to do as much as she is with an already full schedule. She has classes until 4 some days, and theater until 6, and then has to come home and get groceries and make dinner before she can work on homework. It's not fair to her.

Songbird76

Hello-

I'm still working out. I am just lifting weights and walking. My husband and I went to Phoenix for a few nights a few weeks ago. It was freakishly cold with freezing temps at night. The resort we stayed at was covering their landscaping for protection. But we still had a good time. I did manage to use the hot tub on our final day. It was a very unusual resort. It was a bunch of adobe brick rooms. It was built in the 30s, but it is really cool. We're going back in September for an entire week. We went to the Desert Botanical Garden and had afternoon tea at The Phoenician.

Afternoon tea dessert.
View attachment 698045

View attachment 698036

View from our room

View attachment 698037View attachment 698038

View attachment 698039
Restaurant/bar area
View attachment 698042

Afternoon tea
View attachment 698044
Looks fancy!! So glad you got to do this!

Songbird76

At some point in high school, I remember some guy bragging because he'd gotten bags of indica and Thai. Since then, I've heard of sativa as well as a variety of hybrids...all of which produce different effects and have different intensities. Scent, smoothness, metabolization and "taste" also are factors you hear about with them. In college, I took a handful of courses tied to drugs and human behavior and there was usually a section on this kind of stuff before it got into the harder substances. I think it even came up in my BioPsych class, which was more about studying the different impacts on the brain itself. From what I understand, medical grade approved for things like cancer pain relief, is derived from sativa.
I did this academic program in the Summer after my sophomore year. It was basically a program for college bound students, where you stayed in the dorms for 3 weeks and took one science class and one humanities class just to get you used to what college is like. My science class was about "the great drug war" and whether or not we should legalize marijuana and what medical purposes it's used for. Glaucoma, chemo, etc. I don't remember learning about different types of drugs though....but our focus was more on the medical aspect, so maybe it didn't mention other types? It was really interesting though.

HouCuseChickie

I did this academic program in the Summer after my sophomore year. It was basically a program for college bound students, where you stayed in the dorms for 3 weeks and took one science class and one humanities class just to get you used to what college is like. My science class was about "the great drug war" and whether or not we should legalize marijuana and what medical purposes it's used for. Glaucoma, chemo, etc. I don't remember learning about different types of drugs though....but our focus was more on the medical aspect, so maybe it didn't mention other types? It was really interesting though.

It sounds like an interesting course. My college courses were designed for psychology majors, so that could be some of the difference. Our substance related courses tended to focus on biochemical components and their impact on human behavior as well as short- and long-term impacts on the brain/body. I took a course my junior year where we literally spent a third of the semester watching videos of people under the effects of various illegal and prescription substances as well as withdrawal so we could analyze and compare different physical reactions and behaviors. I was really interested in the criminal aspects of psychology, so my upper-level courses focused on drugs, human sexuality, an array of abnormal psych, and forensics/criminology. It was all really interesting on paper and film, but my forensic psych prof was spot on with how scary it is in the real world.

Songbird76

It sounds like an interesting course. My college courses were designed for psychology majors, so that could be some of the difference. Our substance related courses tended to focus on biochemical components and their impact on human behavior as well as short- and long-term impacts on the brain/body. I took a course my junior year where we literally spent a third of the semester watching videos of people under the effects of various illegal and prescription substances as well as withdrawal so we could analyze and compare different physical reactions and behaviors. I was really interested in the criminal aspects of psychology, so my upper-level courses focused on drugs, human sexuality, an array of abnormal psych, and forensics/criminology. It was all really interesting on paper and film, but my forensic psych prof was spot on with how scary it is in the real world.
Oh this wasn't a college class. It was a high school program to prepare high school students for college. They took 100 of the top students in the state the summer after Sophomore year. You applied for the program just like you would for college. You wrote an essay, made a list of your activities, volunteer work, extra-curriculars, etc, sent in your transcript. Then they chose kids from accross the state...they tried to choose at least one kid from each school that sent in applications. It was another of those things where I benefitted from going to a small school where there was little competition. I was the only one who applied the year I was eligible. Our counselor made it sound SO boring when he came in and told us about it, but my brother had been accepted the year before, which was kind of funny, because the counselor hadn't intended to send in his application. He was out for a few weeks and the guy they got to fill in sent in all the applications when the counselor had only intended to send in 2, and my brother's wasn't one of them. But my brother was chosen for the program and it was kind of life-changing for him. He LOVED it and came home talking about all these friends, and I got to meet a bunch of them through activities, especially speech and debate. So I already knew I wanted to go so badly! I couldn't wait to apply, but the counselor made it sound so boring, no one else wanted to do it. Do academic stuff on summer vacation?? No way. But they weren't for college credit or anything. It was just fun stuff to give you a taste of what college would be like, and it was a recruitment tool for the University of Wyoming....they gave a small scholarship to each student selected if they came to UW, and since you already knew the campus from having lived there for 3 weeks and taking classes there, students were more likely to choose to stay in Wyoming for University. The kids we met there were all good students, well-rounded....just like college, you couldn't get in on good grades alone. You had to be active in your school and community. I'd never have gotten chosen if it weren't for the small school where I had top grades. I mean, I had all the extra-curriculars....I had been a cheerleader, I did speech and debate, and student council, I did every play and musical, I made all-state choir freshman year, I was involved in my church, I was a D.A.R.E. role model, and I was in National Honor Society. So I had all that stuff, but I WOULDN'T have in a larger school and competition was really fierce. Most of the kids probably could have gone Ivy League if they'd wanted to by the time they graduated, but a BUNCH of us ended up at UW, mostly because we got scholarships to go there and we were familiar with the school. It was an amazing program. My humanities course was "Humor: know laughing matter" all about different kinds of comedy. Comics, sitcoms, stand-up, slapstick, etc. And along with our classes, we also had a group thing every couple of days like a support group where we were supposed to talk about issues that face teens, like drugs, self-esteem, family issues, etc. We usually didn't stay on topic, but we always had a great discussion anyway. But the drug class was interesting. We took a fieldtrip to the Cheyenne crime lab where we got to learn about different narcotics they had found in the state and how they tested for them, and we went to an NA meeting and met drug addicts and got to talk to them and ask questions. It was fascinating. We did testing on rats using caffeine and what affects it has on the body. We had discussions in class about different points of view about legalization. The book we used had arguments both for and against, so you could see both sides and we had lively discussions. You know, science was my worst subject in school, but I LOVED that class and I was one of the few who really participated fully. Most kids didn't want to touch the rats and a lot of kids skipped classes now and then, but I found it all interesting and never missed a class. We didn't get any credits or grades...there was no incentive to go other than just wanting to learn, but why else would we apply to the program if we didn't want to learn? There were some goof-offs of course, but most of the kids chosen were pretty good. I think most of the kids who skipped were ones who didn't get the classes they had wanted. There was one about animals...fins, fur, and fine feathered friends I think it was called, and there was one about nuclear physics...they got the plans to make a bomb, but of course you can't actually get the things you need to make one...it was more just learning about the chemial reactions that make an atom bomb work. There was one about the "glasnost kids of russia" where they actually learned some Russian, and they made a meal for everyone in the program with actual Russian foods. I remember they had something with bugs in it, and I am pretty sure I didn't eat that night. You could sign up for trips to Walmart, or to the gym, or to a museum, etc. We took a trip to Denver and got to go to the IMAX theater and a museum, go shopping, and then most of the kids chose to go to the Rockies game, but there were 6 of us who didn't. They couldn't get tickets for everyone, and asked if there was anyone who didn't want to go. I'm not a huge sports fan, so I opted to go back to Laramie and watch a movie...which was kind of stupid because they rented A league of their own....a baseball movie. So our options were a live baseball game, or for those who aren't baseball fans and didn't care to see a game, a baseball MOVIE. :rolleyes: But it was a fantastic program anyway. Would have been nice to get some college credit for it, though!! And none of my actual college classes were as interesting or fun as the classes that were offered in that program. It was certainly the most interesting science class I ever took!!

Sans Souci

I have several friends who take gummies for anxiety as well. I can't recall which ones my one friend buys, but I know they run sales from time to time. One also uses CBD cream on his bad ankle. He's said it's better on the pain than any prescription "solutions" he's been given.

I had tried so many things for anxiety. I meditate every day, I take medication and I even take cold showers. I resisted trying it, because I had been trying to get hired as a flight attendant and I'd likely fail a drug test using CBD. 😛

Sans Souci

Yes, thank goodness he's back to his old self. But now I can't cook for him. E's doing all the grocery shopping and cooking and stuff because my husband and I are both in isolation. He's getting food, but nothing of a substantial nature because he won't eat most of the things E can make, so he's eating stuff like hotdogs, and chips, and croissants. Poor kid. I feel bad, but I don't want to give him covid, and I don't have the energy to cook even if I WASN'T worried about that. But I'm grateful that E has stepped up to do as much as she is with an already full schedule. She has classes until 4 some days, and theater until 6, and then has to come home and get groceries and make dinner before she can work on homework. It's not fair to her.

But this is an unusual circumstance. It's not like you do this all time. Maybe you can do something nice for her when you're feeling better.

Sans Souci

Out of curiosity, I looked online at a dispensary near me. There is a strain called "dole whip." 😄 I have to say I am shocked at how expensive it is. Depending on which kind you buy, an eighth of an oz starts at $65 and goes up over $100. I don't smoke, so I have no idea about any of this. 😂

Sans Souci

Happy Valentine's Day 💘

Checking in with a kettlebell workout. I didn't even check the gym. I was just in a kettlebell mood. I didn't have to leave the apartment and I don't have to wear shoes. It's been a while since I did a KB workout, so it felt good to do it.

We're just getting carry outs from an Asian place around the corner. Honestly, we went away a few weeks ago and had a few nice meals, I don't need to go out to dinner tonight. I am happy to stay in and chill out.

Songbird76

But this is an unusual circumstance. It's not like you do this all time. Maybe you can do something nice for her when you're feeling better.
No that's true. I just hate putting more responsibility on her shoulders. She tends to take on too much already and I don't like to add to it. She had a particularly bad day today. But my last day of quarantine is Sunday. (I'm not sure I'm spelling quarantine right....I think it's quarantaine here, but I don't know the etymology of it, so who knows?) Next week is spring break for the kids, so we're planning to go to the Market on Tuesday to get some fabric for halloween costume stuff. We'll make a nice day of it, so that's good. I'll make it up to her. It just sucks that I have to lean so heavily on her right now.

Sans Souci

So, my original idea of the place around the corner fell through. They stopped taking orders as soon as I tried to place mine. I found a Thai restaurant and ordered from there at 6:30. The delivery person is on a bicycle and she is in Weehawken. I am in Jersey City. The time kept clocking up as the night went on. It's going to be delivered at 8:30, allegedly. I love eating cold noodles. I tried calling the restaurant and got the run around. The phone went dead. I am calling American Express and getting a charge back.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Well, if it's any consolation, I had to step up and do the cooking when my mom had her gall bladder out when I was in high school, in addition to doing things like getting B off the bus, making sure he had a snack, etc. My dad in theory can cook; he's just terrible at it unless it involves a grill or an oven. Even stuff like instant mashed potatoes are questionable. And burgers I have to hover over him because he'll slap a patty on a bun and call it a day. No cheese, no toasting the bun so it doesn't get soggy...I'm like, put some cheddar on those burgers at the very least and toast that bun.

Even now if my mom is out of commission and he's just planning on grilling something, I go help to make sure he doesn't do something like microwave green beans as a vegetable or put baked potatoes in the microwave five minutes before we're ready to eat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom