working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

I do sometimes wonder if the Great Depression related eating
It's interesting. We were having a discussion about food yesterday and how world events or situations contribute to eating issues. Like, how someone having grown up during the depression era was used to not getting enough to eat, so their bodies adapted for that. But then when the depression era is over, the body is still compensating for the missed nutrition that is no longer missing, so then you have a higher probability of being overweight. Or how the slaves who were brought over on ships often died of dehydration and those who survived were the ones whose bodies stored more salt, so then when they are no longer in those conditions, their bodies are still retaining the salt and they have a higher chance of high blood pressure. My mom grew up just after the depression, during WWII rationing, so she was very big on not being wasteful. Like you mentioned cleaning your plate, and also reusing/repurposing packaging, darning socks, patching pants, using old tshirts as dust rags, etc. And that came in handy, because we were pretty poor, which again meant that we often went without things, and maybe that's part of why we're all overweight. Our bodies compensated for the lack so that when we finally DID have what we needed, our bodies absorbed everything for the next time we lacked. But it's not just the physical reaction of our bodies, either....it's also the mentality. "Oh, now that I can afford this, I'd better buy 5 of them just in case I can't afford it again once I run out......now I have a supply." "Better take advantage of the opportunity while I have it. I'll eat a bunch now because it's here and I may not have another chance tomorrow!!" I know I did that with food. Because I was picky, if there was something I liked, I felt like I had to fill up on that just in case it was a while before I got something I liked again.

I lost this whole portion of my post somehow....take 2!

Ok, so no your frustration wouldn't be an issue here. Everyone has the same opportunities. Kids aren't punished for struggling or being held back. In fact a LOT of kids get held back a year...or at least at my kids' elementary school. Granted it was one of the worst schools in the town. Over here, every school has to do standardized testing a few times a year, but it's different than in the US. It's only to help the teachers pinpoint what help their students require. Which kids need more challenging material, which kids might have a learning disability, which kids are at risk? Then they can help, and it DOES compare them to kids across the country, but only for identifying the strengths and weaknesses so they can address them. If a kid scores in the bottom 20% in reading, let's get that kid tested for dyslexia. If a kid scores in the top 5% for math, let's get them some more advanced material. And the last one they do in 6th grade is a bit more challenging and it divides them into levels for high school. E's school was terrible....they had some of the lowest scores in the nation, way below average. Average is MAVO level....bottom level is Basic, then Kader, then TL, which is basically mavo. Then Havo is advanced, and VWO is like the AP. E is the only kid in her entire school to score VWO level. Maximum score is 550, which she had. Anything over 545 is VWO level....Dimphy just BARELY missed it with a 544, but her teacher's recommendation was VWO, and that counts more than the test score, so she got to do VWO. There was one kid who scored Havo, and few who scored Mavo, and almost everyone else scored basic or Kader. I think there may have been one who scored Practical, which is like....remedial, I guess? It's for kids who really can't thrive in a classroom setting. They start training for a trade right away. But usually, the majority of your kids will score at Mavo level...it will be a bell curve, with the fewest kids scoring either basic or VWO. In E's school, she was the only VWO score, and the large majority scored basic/kader. Even the school for the mentaly handicapped scored better. But just in 1st grade alone, I remember there were like 6 kids just in E's homeroom class that got held back. I don't know about the other 1st grade homeroom. And then there were a couple in 2nd grade who got held back as well. And E said there was a kid in a couple of her classes last year who was like 18 and had failed sophomore year twice already. But, once he DOES make it through, he'll have just as much chance of getting into the program he chooses as E will, even though E is probably top 3%, maybe even top1%. I was lucky I went to a small school. I was that kid who was top 3% in my school, but in a larger school, I wouldn't have even been top 10%. And we also didn't really have cuts to sports teams and such. You might not play varsity, but you still got to put Basketball on your activities list. I was in Speech and debate, cheerleading, student council, music, drama/theater, international club, and honor society. In the bigger school, I wouldn't have been elected to student council, I certainly wouldn't have made cheerleading, and while I could have done theater, I wouldn't have had leading roles every time like I did, and I probably wouldn't have been eligible for honor society, because I think it was only for the top 10%, and I wouldn't have been if I were in the bigger school. I got the tuition and fees scholorship for 4 years that was automatically given to the top 2 kids in each school. I wouldn't have even come CLOSE in the bigger school. But that's what I like about the system here. Everyone is even. Just because you aren't the best of the best doesn't mean you aren't good enough. You don't get relegated to minimum wage work just because you weren't at the top of your class. E's been checking out universities and programs and said there is ONE program that had a fixed number of slots. They take all the kids who apply and they take a test. The top so many scorers get the slots. But the rest of the programs she's seen are all "If you have the required diploma, welcome!!" Most don't do a competitive selection process to get in. I feel like that's the way it should be. There's more to being successful than having the highest IQ or grades. I may not have been at the top of my class in a bigger school, but I WAS one of the best singers in the state. I made all-state as a freshman, which is rare. But without that tuition and fees scholarship I got for graduating #2 in my class, I wouldn't have been able to afford college at all. And just because I am not some genius doesn't mean I can't be a good teacher, or social worker, or whatever. I like that the system here helps you get the education geered towards your level, and that everyone has the same opportunities for growth. I wish the US was less competitive about it....and when you look at international rankings, the Netherlands comes out WAY above the US. Why is it that a system that glorifies the competition between students and being elite, scores so low compared to countries who don't push that competitive mentality? I think kids do better when they just worry about doing their best and not about whether or not they are #1. It's like when you are running in a race....it slows you down to turn around and look to see where everyone else is. If you just focus on getting across the finish line as fast as you can, you're going to be faster than if you are looking behind you at how close the next person is.

And yes, I wonder how much of this girl's self-destruction is home life related, mostly from her dad's home. On the other hand, she had a really good group of friends, all very responsible and hard working....they were a good influence. She pulled away from them and almost kind of dove in head first into the bad crowd. E said the girl was the first one to say she'd never smoke or anything when they were in junior high, and she was religious and kind of sanctimonious, and then she was the ONLY one of the friend group who started smoking and at least smoking weed, etc. Usually, it's because of the friend group that kids go along with the peer pressure...it's the other friends putting pressure on them to do the things they know are wrong that make them scared to go against the majority. In this case, she broke away from the majority and went in search of the "wrong path". E's friends are still the non-partiers. Well....they party, but their version of "partying" is to watch movies on Netflix or play D&D and bring a lot of snacks, not get drunk or high, etc.

I do sometimes wonder if the diabetes epidemic is due in part to the passing down of that Depression Era clean your plate mandate. Of course, there are other triggers.

A lot of people argue that the US education system has been deeply wounded by a "teaching to the test" mentality. Schools are so tied into funding from standardized testing results that a lot of kids don't get the educational tools that would help them later on in school and life. While I know there are things implemented to help identify kids with special needs, most of the time, it just feels like a failed toddler toy...trying to fit round blocks into square holes.

Sadly, we've seen a number of good kids take that nose dive in middle school or early on in high school. We've only been in this school district since 2017, but I've seen a number of kids go from being friends to "the bad kids." I guess it happened when we were growing up too. I saw a girl that I only knew in high school and didn't meet until sophomore year after she was officially one of the bad kids, recently open up about her life of addiction. Upon reviewing our freshman year yearbook, I saw that she was involved in band and soccer, but she wasn't the smartest and ended up being drawn into the bad stuff by other "bad" kids that tended to be in those lower level classes (some of which who were repeating grades). Needless to say, she dropped all of those activities and those high school choices led her into a really rough life. We had a lot of kids in our school that partied and went out a lot while still getting good grades in top classes (many went Ivy League or near Ivy), but it wasn't like today where social media is everywhere and one "wrong place at the wrong time" situation could keep you from your goals and dreams.

HouCuseChickie

Workout check in-

I went to the gym on Monday. I took a few days off from work, so I had some time in the middle of the day. I didn't want to 🤣 but I got on the elliptical for a little over 30 minutes, worked arms/back/abs, and then cooled down for about 5 minutes on a treadmill. I must have done something right because I was pretty sore yesterday. I was hoping to go again yesterday, but it wound up being a long softball day (kids have the week off). I made three separate trips to the high school. While it's not exactly a full workout, it is quite a hike from the parking lot back to the school's fields. I plan to go today in a little bit, but I'm letting K sleep in a bit, and I'm going to need her to move her truck so I can get out.

It's hard to believe, but I'm on week 14 of being diet soda free. I allowed myself some full sugar root beer a couple of weeks ago and a sip of K's regular Coke yesterday, but that's it. I'm on week 11 of intermittent fasting. I'm trying not to be a slave to the scale, but I know I'm approaching 20 lbs down so far. So, it's something. I've also started up the AeroGarden again. I'm still a ways from being able to harvest, but I should have some fresh herbs for added flavor sometime next month. I'm also thinking about transplanting things that grow well to a flower bed so that I'm not left with one dominant herb strangling everything like last time. I may even try starting some veggies in it and transplant those. In the meantime, I'm growing Genovese Basil, Dill, Blue Borage, Sage, Italian Parsley, and "Cilantro." I never have much luck growing cilantro and I'm already on my second attempt with this growing cycle. If it doesn't sprout, I'll have to choose between oregano, marjoram, summer savory, rosemary, thyme or chives (seed kit I purchased).

HouCuseChickie

I made it to the gym yesterday. It was another strong day on the elliptical followed by a blend of legs, arms, back and abs. My left knee has been bugging me, so I had to cut the leg work short and just added more arms into the mix. I took the rest of my day off as nap time and then drove Sam across town for softball. A cold front came through during my nap and we went from 80 to the low 50s. So, that was a shock to the system. I don't think I'll be making it to the gym today. I had to make the trek into the office today, which I guess at least means walking around more and even some stairs for the garage. I'm finishing up my day at home, but I have some projects tonight.

1. Go pick up the new vacuum. Money I didn't want to spend, but the robot only does so much and the cheaper model upright I bought for thick carpeting hasn't been working right for some time.
2. Our new kitchen drawers came in. When the original owner designed the kitchen, they went with these plastic drawer inserts that screw onto traditional wooden drawer fronts. The plastic has gotten brittle over time. I had one drawer just completely crack off before Christmas (replacement out of stock) and another that I've been trying to handle with care for a while since the size has been out of stock. I guess they must have gotten a new drawer shipment last week, so now I can fix the gaping drawer holes in my kitchen.

Songbird76

I do sometimes wonder if the Great Depression related eating

I do sometimes wonder if the diabetes epidemic is due in part to the passing down of that Depression Era clean your plate mandate. Of course, there are other triggers.

A lot of people argue that the US education system has been deeply wounded by a "teaching to the test" mentality. Schools are so tied into funding from standardized testing results that a lot of kids don't get the educational tools that would help them later on in school and life. While I know there are things implemented to help identify kids with special needs, most of the time, it just feels like a failed toddler toy...trying to fit round blocks into square holes.

Sadly, we've seen a number of good kids take that nose dive in middle school or early on in high school. We've only been in this school district since 2017, but I've seen a number of kids go from being friends to "the bad kids." I guess it happened when we were growing up too. I saw a girl that I only knew in high school and didn't meet until sophomore year after she was officially one of the bad kids, recently open up about her life of addiction. Upon reviewing our freshman year yearbook, I saw that she was involved in band and soccer, but she wasn't the smartest and ended up being drawn into the bad stuff by other "bad" kids that tended to be in those lower level classes (some of which who were repeating grades). Needless to say, she dropped all of those activities and those high school choices led her into a really rough life. We had a lot of kids in our school that partied and went out a lot while still getting good grades in top classes (many went Ivy League or near Ivy), but it wasn't like today where social media is everywhere and one "wrong place at the wrong time" situation could keep you from your goals and dreams.
There were rampant drug problems in my school. I was very naive, but I knew lots of kids who were at least smoking pot, and I'm sure they were doing other things as well, though no one would have ever offered me anything because they'd be too afraid I'd have told on them. But everyone knew who they were anyway. There was a girl who moved to our town from Denver when her dad got transferred. She was the "source" I guess, but I don't think they ever caught her. Did you ever have the baby bottle/pacifier craze when you were in school? It was a big thing in Denver, where kids would put something in the pacifier and get high because who would suspect the baby pacifier to contain drugs? This girl always had a baby bottle with her...it was just kind of quirky, but I read about it later that it was a way of hiding drugs. What's really sad is that she got straightened out after high school....she was crazy intelligent. She was failing most of her classes, but she actually took independent study calculus II because she had already passed calc I, and our school district required math every year, so she had to take SOME math class. After high school, she got pregnant, got sober, got a good job waiting tables at Olive Garden in Denver, and was doing really well. I think her son was 4 when she was killed by a drunk driver. So sad....she gets her life together and then still ends up losing her life to drugs/alcohol. And there was a guy a year behind me in school who was shot and killed a few years ago. He was drunk or high or maybe both, broke into someone's house and fell asleep. The owners found him and asked him to leave, he refused and they shot him. And it didn't surprise me at all that that's how he went...he had always been heavy into the drug scene. And in my senior year, the Valedictorian was caught selling drugs to the Salutatorian a week before graduation. I ended up being #2 in my class, and a bunch of people were clammoring for the Val and Sal to be stripped of their titles and for me to take it because of that, but our administrators were trying to keep me from getting that honor. We're pretty sure they fixed the grades so that I wouldn't be named Salutatorian in the first place. The guy who got it only passed me for 1 quarter, and it was impossible for him to do so because I actually had higher grades that quarter. And the quarter before that, there was a "computer glitch" that switched our two GPAs and nothing else. But they named him Salutatorian and then I passed him back the last quarter. The Val and Sal even went to the principal to ask if I could be up there with them and they would share their speeches with me, but he refused. So there was no way he was going to let me end up being valedictorian when he had worked so hard to block me out of the running for an honor like that. But our school was seriously messed up.

Songbird76

Aaaaaaand on another note, my husband and I both have covid. He came home Wednesday with a headache and just feeling crappy. I made him do a selftest and it was negative. I had him do another this morning and it was positive. My head is a bit achy and my throat is a tiny bit scratchy and I feel too warm, though I don't have a fever. I decided to do a selftest and at first I thought it was negative because the line was SOOOOOO faint I didn't see it. So I thought it was negative, and they say not to read it after 30 minutes, but I happened to look after 45 and thought I saw a faint line, so I did another test just to be sure, and sure enough, another faint line. So it's positive. No work for me tonight or at least the first part of next week.

What's REALLY stupid is that on Tuesday night, my coworkers were all talking about covid and I sent DH a message reminding him that we needed to make an appointment for boosters. The next day he came home with covid. No boosters necessary, I guess. When they finally started giving boosters, it was only for the elderly, and we were supposed to get a letter in the mail with a code so we could make an appointment since we are high risk. We never got the letter. We kept waiting and waiting and it never came. Now they are open to everyone, but we hadn't made an appointment yet. So I reminded him on Tuesday, and then Wednesday he came down with it.

Figgy1

Original Poster
Aaaaaaand on another note, my husband and I both have covid. He came home Wednesday with a headache and just feeling crappy. I made him do a selftest and it was negative. I had him do another this morning and it was positive. My head is a bit achy and my throat is a tiny bit scratchy and I feel too warm, though I don't have a fever. I decided to do a selftest and at first I thought it was negative because the line was SOOOOOO faint I didn't see it. So I thought it was negative, and they say not to read it after 30 minutes, but I happened to look after 45 and thought I saw a faint line, so I did another test just to be sure, and sure enough, another faint line. So it's positive. No work for me tonight or at least the first part of next week.

What's REALLY stupid is that on Tuesday night, my coworkers were all talking about covid and I sent DH a message reminding him that we needed to make an appointment for boosters. The next day he came home with covid. No boosters necessary, I guess. When they finally started giving boosters, it was only for the elderly, and we were supposed to get a letter in the mail with a code so we could make an appointment since we are high risk. We never got the letter. We kept waiting and waiting and it never came. Now they are open to everyone, but we hadn't made an appointment yet. So I reminded him on Tuesday, and then Wednesday he came down with it.
I'm so sorry to hear that! Are you able to get the antiviral medication? Isolate from the kids the best you can, hydrate, follow doctor's orders, rest and
Feel Better Get Well Soon GIF by reactionseditor

Songbird76

I'm so sorry to hear that! Are you able to get the antiviral medication? Isolate from the kids the best you can, hydrate, follow doctor's orders, rest and
Feel Better Get Well Soon GIF by reactionseditor
I haven't heard anything about the antiviral meds here. I don't think we have them. But A always stays in his room with the door closed, so he should be pretty safe. He never caught it last time we had it, so I think he's good. And E came home for lunch because PE was canceled for today, but that's when I did the test and I came straight upstairs so we weren't in the same room. I actually took the first test before she came home so I could leave before she got there if it was positive, but the line was so faint I didn't see it. Then when she got home, I glanced again, I thought I saw one, so I looked closer, but it was after the time you are supposed to read it. So I did another and came upstairs imediately. So she had only been home for about 5 minutes or so, and we were sitting on opposite ends of the couch, so we were pretty distanced. But she has an open house at a university tomorrow, so she can't get sick!! Thank goodness she is going with a friend and her friend's mom is driving them, so we were never planning on being the ones to take her. But I'm in my room now with the door closed, she is back at school, A is in his room, also with the door closed, and M is taking a bath. So we're all nice and distanced from each other. I feel bad that the burden is going to be on E to get groceries and cook. I've got a few days worth of food for A, and I have snacks. But dinners are going to be on her.

HouCuseChickie

There were rampant drug problems in my school. I was very naive, but I knew lots of kids who were at least smoking pot, and I'm sure they were doing other things as well, though no one would have ever offered me anything because they'd be too afraid I'd have told on them. But everyone knew who they were anyway. There was a girl who moved to our town from Denver when her dad got transferred. She was the "source" I guess, but I don't think they ever caught her. Did you ever have the baby bottle/pacifier craze when you were in school? It was a big thing in Denver, where kids would put something in the pacifier and get high because who would suspect the baby pacifier to contain drugs? This girl always had a baby bottle with her...it was just kind of quirky, but I read about it later that it was a way of hiding drugs. What's really sad is that she got straightened out after high school....she was crazy intelligent. She was failing most of her classes, but she actually took independent study calculus II because she had already passed calc I, and our school district required math every year, so she had to take SOME math class. After high school, she got pregnant, got sober, got a good job waiting tables at Olive Garden in Denver, and was doing really well. I think her son was 4 when she was killed by a drunk driver. So sad....she gets her life together and then still ends up losing her life to drugs/alcohol. And there was a guy a year behind me in school who was shot and killed a few years ago. He was drunk or high or maybe both, broke into someone's house and fell asleep. The owners found him and asked him to leave, he refused and they shot him. And it didn't surprise me at all that that's how he went...he had always been heavy into the drug scene. And in my senior year, the Valedictorian was caught selling drugs to the Salutatorian a week before graduation. I ended up being #2 in my class, and a bunch of people were clammoring for the Val and Sal to be stripped of their titles and for me to take it because of that, but our administrators were trying to keep me from getting that honor. We're pretty sure they fixed the grades so that I wouldn't be named Salutatorian in the first place. The guy who got it only passed me for 1 quarter, and it was impossible for him to do so because I actually had higher grades that quarter. And the quarter before that, there was a "computer glitch" that switched our two GPAs and nothing else. But they named him Salutatorian and then I passed him back the last quarter. The Val and Sal even went to the principal to ask if I could be up there with them and they would share their speeches with me, but he refused. So there was no way he was going to let me end up being valedictorian when he had worked so hard to block me out of the running for an honor like that. But our school was seriously messed up.

I don't remember anything about pacifiers or baby bottles during my school days, but I do remember hearing about it later on. The drug landscape changed a bit between high school and college, but in high school it was a mix of weed (various kinds- including some more exotic stuff), mushrooms, cocaine, and some pill-based hallucinogens. In college, X and acid joined the mix. Growing up outside of NYC, it almost seemed like it was expected and I've always suspected that this went beyond just the kids. That's really awful that the girl lost her life to someone else's substance abuse. I remember you saying how twisted the admins were at your school. It's just awful when adults take out their pettiness on the kids. It often makes me wonder why these people stayed in education.

HouCuseChickie

feel better get well GIF

Oh no! I'm sorry you guys have it. Hopefully it will be mild.

Songbird76

I don't remember anything about pacifiers or baby bottles during my school days, but I do remember hearing about it later on. The drug landscape changed a bit between high school and college, but in high school it was a mix of weed (various kinds- including some more exotic stuff), mushrooms, cocaine, and some pill-based hallucinogens. In college, X and acid joined the mix. Growing up outside of NYC, it almost seemed like it was expected and I've always suspected that this went beyond just the kids. That's really awful that the girl lost her life to someone else's substance abuse. I remember you saying how twisted the admins were at your school. It's just awful when adults take out their pettiness on the kids. It often makes me wonder why these people stayed in education.
There are different kinds of weed??? Wow. 3 years of D.A.R.E. and they never taught us that!!

Figgy1

Original Poster

Songbird76

There are different types just as there are many types of marigolds, tomatoes, eggplants and such. Selective breeding for whatever traits the grower wants
https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/different-types-cannabis-plants/#:~:text=The Three Types of Cannabis 1 1. Cannabis,in light cycle. ... 3 3. Cannabis Ruderalis the 3 main types
How did I not know this? Of course, I don't have a green thumb, so if you want a plant killed, I'm your girl, but I also didn't know there were different types of eggplants. Tomatoes, yes, and of course I know a lot of flowers come in different colors, but I didn't know they are like...fundamentally different plants. I can't be trusted with horticulture.

Sans Souci

Oh, no. I hope you guys are on the mend soon. It seems like you are getting hit with a lot of stuff at once. It sounds like your son is back home and eating? That must have been so stressful for you guys. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom