working out for Disney

Songbird76

It just says "Coming Soon." We can see the construction in progress, but it looks like they have a long way to go. They're converting a space that was previously a large supermarket. I would imagine the indoor pool is the reason it's taking longer than we'd expected. The other local locations are open 5am-11pm, so I think we can make it work on weekdays.

I'm sorry you lost your job, but that does sound like good exercise with the biking to and from work.
Gyms here are highway robbery. When you consider the opening hours with what they charge...most don't open until 9am or so, and then close around 6, I think. I don't know of a single gym here that has a pool. They usually have one or 2 treadmills, maybe an eliptical, a few stationary bikes, and then weight machines. There are people who seem to view it as more of a social exercise than physical. I remember going once, and I was using the stationary bike because the treadmills were taken, and I wanted to use a couple of the weight machines, but there were 3 people just sitting on them and not actually using them, or doing one or two reps per minute. They were tying up 3 machines, which was about half of what they had in the first place. Another place I went to, you had to pay extra to use the elipticals, and they only had 2 of them and you had to reserve in advance. It just wasn't worth the pricetag.

It's fine...the job was really getting to be something I dreaded. Once they moved all the work to the new company's facility across the country, there wasn't much left except folding clothes. It was really boring and monotonous. Then, because there wasn't enough work left, they started cutting hours. So I was only getting 4 hours a week anyway. I had already started to apply for jobs elsewhere. When they announced that they were getting rid of the evening shift completely, that was it. They only gave people like 3 weeks notice, so everyone who worked evenings had to scramble to find something new. Most of them are students, so they go to school during the day. They can't work except evenings and weekends, and they got rid of weekends months ago. I'm sure they did it purposely....why else did they move everything to their other facility? I think they only bought our company so they can absorb it into their existing business, because we made a massive profit while they've been losing money. I think their intention is probably to close down our facility completely once the lease is up for renewal. By absorbing the business into their existing operations, they can let go all the employees from our facility, and run ours basically without adding any costs and actually getting rid of some of the overhead, so they hope to make a profit with our business that will cover their losses. The company I'm going to now seems really good. I went in yesterday and met a bunch of people and they were all really nice. It's a really low-key atmosphere....no pressure. And it will be nice to be in a position that I come in contact with customers. I've missed that. The exercise is just a bonus.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
It's been a while since any of us posted. Hope all is well with everyone.

I wanted to share that we decided to quit the gym.

Season 4 Chandler GIF by Friends

Schedules have just proven to be too demanding and the drive to the closest PF is just too far to make it worth it. It wasn't overly expensive for the black membership, but that's around $30 a month pp that we'll get back in our pockets. We have an LA Fitness going in about 5 minutes from home, so he wants to consider that once it opens. We'll see. I am trying to get more movement back into my life. Things like working from home and grocery pickup are great, but it means I'm moving less. Yesterday, I decided to start a divide and conquer approach to getting out of this sedentary funk. I took three separate walks during the day that were each about 1.05 miles. I also got up several times during my workday for exercises. Most was normal stuff I had been doing (but haven't in a bit)...ya know, some stuff with the hand weights, squats, kettlebells, barre kicks, etc. I also added in some abs and opened up the resistance bands to help work my hips and legs. I don't know how well I can keep this up with the rain we're expecting this week, but I'm off to a good start today. I did a small 1.15 mile walk around 7am and a round of hand weights, calf raises, and kettlebell. It's something.
Yeah, it's hard when a gym is too far away.

I'm back in PT for my knee. I reinjured it in WDW and now have a torn MCL in addition to the PCL. I went to a different doctor for a second opinion. He said he thinks the MCL healed because I stayed completely off of it. So now I'm back at PT, but in a totally different PT place. This is working out better. They have time to see me twice a week instead of once, they have fewer patients so I definitely get more 1:1 time, and because they get mostly elderly patients, I get the prime evening slots for after work. I definitely need more 1:1 attention. I have very high pain tolerance, so I need someone to tell me when to stop or when to back off because I will push and push and push. Like, the other day, I wanted to keep going, and the PT was like, "Nope, you're done; your knee is twisting." They're also doing some different exercises and the electrical stimulation, which I think is helping.

I did try swimming one day and my knee hurt too badly. I ended up just walking the length of the pool. I'm supposed to go to the gym and ride the bike. That hasn't happened so far.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
It was in the low 40s that morning. Only getting into the mid 70s today but mornings still are 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶 Getting awful again for a while starting tomorrow
Yeah, of course they made tomorrow opening day and it's only going to be in the 50s. They probably could have gotten the game in today. 🤦‍♀️ Oh well. I have a couple of Orioles sweatshirts.

HouCuseChickie

Yeah, it's hard when a gym is too far away.

I'm back in PT for my knee. I reinjured it in WDW and now have a torn MCL in addition to the PCL. I went to a different doctor for a second opinion. He said he thinks the MCL healed because I stayed completely off of it. So now I'm back at PT, but in a totally different PT place. This is working out better. They have time to see me twice a week instead of once, they have fewer patients so I definitely get more 1:1 time, and because they get mostly elderly patients, I get the prime evening slots for after work. I definitely need more 1:1 attention. I have very high pain tolerance, so I need someone to tell me when to stop or when to back off because I will push and push and push. Like, the other day, I wanted to keep going, and the PT was like, "Nope, you're done; your knee is twisting." They're also doing some different exercises and the electrical stimulation, which I think is helping.

I did try swimming one day and my knee hurt too badly. I ended up just walking the length of the pool. I'm supposed to go to the gym and ride the bike. That hasn't happened so far.

I'm sorry you're dealing with these injuries, but it sounds like you're in a better place with PT. It's really easy to overdo it, so it's great that they are good at seeing when you need to stop. It's interesting that swimming hurt, but I'm sure certain motions are more likely to aggravate things than others.

HouCuseChickie

Checking in...

I've been sort of up and down with the walking and office activity. We had a ton of rain towards the end of last week, so I had to coordinate around storms. I think Friday was the only total rainout. K and I put in about 3.5 miles on Saturday and a little over 4 miles on Sunday. I've been glued to my desk with some project stuff this week, but I did manage to get in a mile so far today. While I haven't been lugging the big camera out on these walks, it is nice to get back to seeing lots of nature on the trails. I've also been keeping a close watch on the areas around me since it's baby snake season. While I think they're highly beneficial creatures to our environment, I do not want to surprise any copperheads, corals, or cottonmouths. Thankfully, the bulk of my wildlife sightings have been birds and turtles. I was also treated to some chalk bomb art before the rain washed it all away.

1681393297302.png
1681394835822.png1681394876924.png

Songbird76

I got 12,000 steps so far today. Yesterday was my first day at my new job, and I got a little lost coming home, so it took me 45 minutes to get home. The path I took to get TO work was blocked off. They are building more houses in the area and the road isn't a permanent one yet, and they apparently close it off after 5pm. So I could get TO work, but not back the same way. So then I had to figure out how to get home from there a different way, and it's not an area I'm really familiar with outside of the way I went, because that's where A went to school in elementary school. But I did have a few driving lessons in the area and remembered a roundabout that would take me to a bridge by my old job when it was here in town, so I went there and from there I knew how to get home. It was just WAY out of my way. But I THINK I know a faster way now, so I'll try it tomorrow on my way home from work. In any case, I got my cardio in, even if my fitness tracker doesn't count bike riding as steps.

Sans Souci

Hello-

Sorry for being MIA. I just felt a bit blah and just went inward. lol

I've been keeping active though. Even when I feel blah, I try to keep active. Today I did a glute workout (boring) and I went for a nice walk.

We got the cat through the winter and I think she has allergies. She is sneezing a lot. Next month will be a year since she first showed up at my patio door. She is a very gentle cat. She has never hissed or swatted at any of us. She does this thing now where she rubs her face on the door and she waits for scratches and pets, so she is slowly becoming comfortable with us.

A couple of weeks ago, my husband had a work conference in Washington, I wasn't going to go, but I looked at a web cam of the Tidal Basin and I saw the cherry blossoms were in bloom. I am glad I finally got to see them. The museums were mad houses, but I got to see what I wanted. We had a lot of nice meals, so it was like a mini vacation and it lifted my spirits a bit.

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpegIMG_1358.jpeg

Sans Souci

It's been a while since any of us posted. Hope all is well with everyone.

I wanted to share that we decided to quit the gym.

Season 4 Chandler GIF by Friends

Schedules have just proven to be too demanding and the drive to the closest PF is just too far to make it worth it. It wasn't overly expensive for the black membership, but that's around $30 a month pp that we'll get back in our pockets. We have an LA Fitness going in about 5 minutes from home, so he wants to consider that once it opens. We'll see. I am trying to get more movement back into my life. Things like working from home and grocery pickup are great, but it means I'm moving less. Yesterday, I decided to start a divide and conquer approach to getting out of this sedentary funk. I took three separate walks during the day that were each about 1.05 miles. I also got up several times during my workday for exercises. Most was normal stuff I had been doing (but haven't in a bit)...ya know, some stuff with the hand weights, squats, kettlebells, barre kicks, etc. I also added in some abs and opened up the resistance bands to help work my hips and legs. I don't know how well I can keep this up with the rain we're expecting this week, but I'm off to a good start today. I did a small 1.15 mile walk around 7am and a round of hand weights, calf raises, and kettlebell. It's something.

My husband belonged to the LA Fitness in our town. He really liked it and went regularly until the pandemic happened. Then he started working out at home, like everyone else lol. He never rejoined. He works out in the house and his apartment building has a gym, so I guess he prefers that now.

Sans Souci

When does the LA Fitness open? Gym memberships here are just too expensive for what they offer. Most of them don't have evening hours, or if they do, it's only until 7pm or something, so by the time you are done with a workday and have dinner, it's too late. That wasn't a problem for me when I was working the evenings, but it was still just too expensive. But now I lost my job because they cut the evening shift, I got a new job, and my hours will be daytime hours. The upside is that I will have to ride my bike there because my husband will still have the car during the day, and it's over 6 KM from my house to get there. So I'll at least get some cardio in getting to work again.

How is your son doing?
Sorry about your evening hours being cut, but yay on the new job. Is the new job the one your old boss contacted you about?

Sans Souci

Hello-

Checking in with a hiit workout and then I went for a walk with my husband on his lunch hour.

I've been keeping an eye on the whole hullabaloo with Disney and the FL Gov. It's interesting, to say the least. Wow. What a time to be alive.

HouCuseChickie

I got 12,000 steps so far today. Yesterday was my first day at my new job, and I got a little lost coming home, so it took me 45 minutes to get home. The path I took to get TO work was blocked off. They are building more houses in the area and the road isn't a permanent one yet, and they apparently close it off after 5pm. So I could get TO work, but not back the same way. So then I had to figure out how to get home from there a different way, and it's not an area I'm really familiar with outside of the way I went, because that's where A went to school in elementary school. But I did have a few driving lessons in the area and remembered a roundabout that would take me to a bridge by my old job when it was here in town, so I went there and from there I knew how to get home. It was just WAY out of my way. But I THINK I know a faster way now, so I'll try it tomorrow on my way home from work. In any case, I got my cardio in, even if my fitness tracker doesn't count bike riding as steps.

You'll get used to it in time. Hopefully all is going well with the new job. I'm not sure which fitness tracker you're using, but several brands offer a pod that can be laced into your shoe so that it communicates movement like biking and exercise machines to your device on your wrist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom