working out for Disney

Songbird76

E is having a rough day. They had their first math test and while she studied and thought she was ready, she said everyone had problems with it. She says she MAY have scraped a passing grade, but it will be close. Her best friend told her if she got her first failing grade, they have to celebrate. She came home all stressed out, near tears and with a headache because she never had time to eat because they had the meeting about the special workshop /lectures during lunch. So she missed lunch and had a tough day. I guess her old math teacher told them everyone doing Math B fails the first test. If that's true, obviously it's not a good test... If even the best students who actually study and prepare can't pass, it isn't representative of the material they covered.
Update: E got her grade back. Passing is 5.5 (55%) and she got a 6.8. Her best friend got a 6.3 as did the other girl she knows who has never had a failing grade...E and this girl are 2 of the top kids in the class. Her other friend who we are convinced isn't going to make it through this year got a 1 point something. She doesn't know about her other friends yet. Her friend group, with the exception of the one girl, are pretty much the consistently passing group, so hopefully most of them did ok. But the teacher did tell the class there was a small group who did relatively well, and for the rest, there will be a make up test. I asked her if she was going to do a make up test (before she had the grade) and she said it depended. Usually with a make up test, the highest grade you can get is a 6, so even if you get everything right, you get a 6. So she said if she had at least a 6, there was no need to do a make up test unless you get full marks for it. She said if she had less than a 6 she would for sure do the retake. But she's super relieved that she got such a good score, and I'm really proud of how hard she worked to get that, so I don't think she needs the make up test. Anyway, just thought I'd update with the good news. Whew.

HouCuseChickie

I'm glad her surgery went well. I hope things continue to heal correctly now. Going in and out of anesthesia is an odd sensation. The first time for me was with my wisdom teeth, I remember feeling very rested afterwards. Actually, the other few times I've had it I always felt well rested.

Thank you! I think the anesthesia scared her more than the procedure. I know she said she'd prefer to be asleep, rather than just get some form of local block. Still, when the time came, she started having all of these "what if I don't wake up?" sort of worries. I've only been completely out twice, but I remember a similar rested feeling. Then again, I didn't see myself waking up. I may have been just as confused as she looked as the anesthesia started to wear off.

HouCuseChickie

Wow....3 weeks seems so fast! Did she have to have surgery when she broke her wrist? A didn't....they debated about it, but ultimately decided they thought they could give it a stiff nudge when they placed the cast to get it back in alignment. I almost passed out and had to be taken out of the room...I was so nervous for him. I just can't stand my kids being in pain. But he handled it really well and he was fine afterwards. But I think he only had to have his cast for eithre 4 or 6 weeks and then another couple of weeks of a brace. For his toe, they couldn't do anything but tape it. He was only 4 when that happened, and he couldn't walk, so I had to put him on my bike and wheel him to school for several days...that was less than ideal. Good thing his school was only a couple of blocks from our house then.

So will she be able to go back to sports at the end of the 3 weeks? Will she need physical therapy? I'm glad the surgery went well. I don't remember any weird effects from anesthesia when I had my adenoids removed, but I was EXHAUSTED for a few days and would get tired and dizzy just walking to the bathroom. Has she had any problems with that? How long did the surgery take?

She did not have surgery when she broke her wrist. I know her orthopedic surgeon for that break (same hospital system- different location) was on the fence. He put her into a formal cast that was on for about 6 weeks, but warned me that surgery would be the next step if his setting and casting didn't do the right things. Her break with the wrist was in the growth plate and she was younger, so there was a considerable amount of concern. I've seen a variety of things with toes, but most seem to involve some kind of walking boot.

Honestly, I have a hard time understanding how she'll be ready for sports in 3 weeks and I won't be rushing anything. She shouldn't need physical therapy. There may be some exercises he recommends, but that should be it. Surgery was fast. She was in the OR for about an hour, but the procedure and anesthesia were about 45 minutes. She was a little wobbly early on, but she ate well and no nausea.

StarWarsGirl

Thank you! I think the anesthesia scared her more than the procedure. I know she said she'd prefer to be asleep, rather than just get some form of local block. Still, when the time came, she started having all of these "what if I don't wake up?" sort of worries. I've only been completely out twice, but I remember a similar rested feeling. Then again, I didn't see myself waking up. I may have been just as confused as she looked as the anesthesia started to wear off.
The last time I was out, the only thing I remember after coming out is "Oh, Dad's here. Why is Dad in a suit? Oh nevermind, I'm going back to sleep." 😂 He's been in court that morning, but he was still wearing his suit jacket and tie, which was confusing the heck out of me.

Apparently they had trouble getting me to actually wake up, and my dad was like, "Well yes, that is typical." I remember nothing but thinking about why Dad was in a suit. The next thing I knew I was in my room (they had to keep me overnight). They said I wouldn't be able to talk right after the procedure, but they brought me to my room and there I was, demanding food.

HouCuseChickie

The last time I was out, the only thing I remember after coming out is "Oh, Dad's here. Why is Dad in a suit? Oh nevermind, I'm going back to sleep." 😂 He's been in court that morning, but he was still wearing his suit jacket and tie, which was confusing the heck out of me.

Apparently they had trouble getting me to actually wake up, and my dad was like, "Well yes, that is typical." I remember nothing but thinking about why Dad was in a suit. The next thing I knew I was in my room (they had to keep me overnight). They said I wouldn't be able to talk right after the procedure, but they brought me to my room and there I was, demanding food.

That's so funny! My friend was asking me if she said anything like that as she was waking up. I guess he was talking non-stop about cheeseburgers as the anesthesia from his last surgery wore off. Honestly, with the way you have to fast before surgery, it doesn't surprise me that you were demanding food. With my last one, I remember praising my doctor for allowing real food for my first meal. The last thing I wanted was broth and Jell-O after a day+ of fasting. Her eating seems to be back to normal, but when I tried to force food on her this morning to go with her antibiotics, she told me she was up at 4am and had a couple of large bowls of Cocoa Puffs :hilarious:

Songbird76

E came home early from school yesterday and is still feeling rough this morning. It was kind of funny...they have this "student center" at school and whenever there's an issue, the kids go there or are sent there. Like, if the teacher doesn't show up for a class, someone is supposed to let the student center guy know. If you get sick, you go to him. If you're late, you have to check in with him. If you get in trouble, you get sent to him. And his last name is Kelderman and "kelder" means "Cellar". The kids have a joke that when you get in trouble, you get sent to the cellar. There's always this moment of fear when Mr. Kelderman comes to your classroom. "Who's he here for?" "Did I do something wrong?" So yesterday, my phone rang and I didn't recognize the number, but it was a local number so I actually answered it, thinking my son might have gotten hurt in PE or something. But it was Mr. Kelderman, and when he said who he was, my first thought was "What could E have POSSIBLY done that he'd be calling me for?" E NEVER gets in trouble. The "worst" thing she's ever done was when this kid who is always bugging her started dancing in front of her so she couldn't get to where she needed to go, and she was carrying a big box of paper, so she just nudged him out of the way with the box and because he was dancing around, he lost his balance and fell and she apparently dropped the box of paper and paper went flying everywhere. The teacher looked over, didn't see what happened, but noticed the two kids and sent the boy to the student centrum....he has a bit of a reputation for being disruptive, annoying, etc and E has a reputation for being really respectful, a hard worker and good student. So the teacher just assumed it was his fault and sent him out of the class. Anyway, she didn't get in trouble for that incident because the teacher didn't see her push him, and honestly, it was the kid being a doink that caused it in the first place. So she's NEVER had to go to the Cellar. Usually he just gives the kids something to do like lunch cleanup, or picking up trash. He doesn't call the parents for every infraction. So when he called yesterday, I was thinking what she had possibly done to get sent to the Cellar AND have her mom called. But it was just that she wasn't feeling well and wanted to come home. 😂 Good timing to miss school, I guess since Fridays, she doesn't have class until 3rd hour, and her last class of the day was canceled for today, so she's only missing a few classes. But she did miss a civics test on the news yesterday.

@HouCuseChickie , How's Sam doing? Is she able to go to school or does she have to stay home for a couple of days?

HouCuseChickie

@HouCuseChickie , How's Sam doing? Is she able to go to school or does she have to stay home for a couple of days?

The kids have fall break this week, so she hasn't missed any school (yet) for this matter. It's also given her plenty of time to rest. So far so good. She's experiencing some involuntary twitching and a little bit of pain, but Tylenol has helped. The most pain she's had all is still tied to whatever they put in her mouth to secure her tongue. I think the pain at the IV site is improving, and likely worsened by the first vein not cooperating. She goes in for a follow up on Tuesday.

Songbird76

The kids have fall break this week, so she hasn't missed any school (yet) for this matter. It's also given her plenty of time to rest. So far so good. She's experiencing some involuntary twitching and a little bit of pain, but Tylenol has helped. The most pain she's had all is still tied to whatever they put in her mouth to secure her tongue. I think the pain at the IV site is improving, and likely worsened by the first vein not cooperating. She goes in for a follow up on Tuesday.
On the one hand, how nice is it that she can rest and not worry about school!? On the other, how awful is it to have vacation and not really be able to enjoy it? I don't know whether to give it a thumbs up or a sad face!

HouCuseChickie

On the one hand, how nice is it that she can rest and not worry about school!? On the other, how awful is it to have vacation and not really be able to enjoy it? I don't know whether to give it a thumbs up or a sad face!

We got her out for a while yesterday. Her team had traveled to play in a tournament about 90 minutes from home. So, not exactly local, but not exactly too far either. She got to see all of her new teammates, plus a number of her old teammates that she hasn't seen in a while were also out there playing for their new teams (I think seven total). In between games, we went out to eat and then took a drive through the historic town center to see all of the fall decor, old town square/center style buildings and Victorian houses. Not the most exciting thing, but we weren't home either and we were seeing new stuff. There's also a small college in the town, which got us talking about gearing our next two February trips around college looks. We'll see.

Songbird76

Well, it's certainly better than nothing, isn't it? I love old buildings...I'd find that interesting, but I guess I can understand why a lot of teens wouldn't. My daughter would, my son wouldn't. We still have a week of school before they have a week off. E really needs a vacation. She's completely stressed out.

HouCuseChickie

Well, it's certainly better than nothing, isn't it? I love old buildings...I'd find that interesting, but I guess I can understand why a lot of teens wouldn't. My daughter would, my son wouldn't. We still have a week of school before they have a week off. E really needs a vacation. She's completely stressed out.

I don't know if they could spend a full day of this, but it was a nice distraction for an hour or so. What's really funny, it rejuvenated our road trip bug. We've been back for nearly 2.5 months and now we're back to talking about driving places. I'm hoping E gets the rest and destressing she needs.

Songbird76

I don't know if they could spend a full day of this, but it was a nice distraction for an hour or so. What's really funny, it rejuvenated our road trip bug. We've been back for nearly 2.5 months and now we're back to talking about driving places. I'm hoping E gets the rest and destressing she needs.
E and I were actually talking about this yesterday. She has this project thing for school...it's a yearlong thing and it's to ensure students are exposed to art in many forms. They have to go to several different performances by professionals....dance, music, theater, etc...they have workshops periodically. They recently did one in which they had to paint bamboo, using the chinese style paintbrushes and ink....kind of like this:
bright-bamboo-forest-painted-chinese-260nw-1235401984.jpg

There's one where they will write poetry, one about photography, and there was one that involved doing theater. And there's a lot of writing about art....they have to look at art or architecture on the way to/from school and write about it (difficult since her school is so close...there ISN'T much art, unless you count graffiti.). They have to cook or ASK someone to cook their family's most culinary meal, taking pictures, writing down the recipe....we did that on Sunday. And she had to make a profile about art throughout her life....what were her favorite books as a child? What art or museums has she been to and what were her favorites, etc. I imagine there are a lot of kids who have probably never been to a museum or anything, and we haven't done a lot of ART museums, but we've done a lot of HISTORICAL museums. But since she has to look at architecture, we talked about that and how A would be SO bored...that's totally not his thing, but we love it. We've visited some castles...A actually did enjoy Neuschwanstein, though part of that might be the intrigue about "the mad king" Ludwig II who had it built, and part of it was the really serene setting without so much sensory overload in Bavaria. I think he was pretty bored at Castle de Haar. And I don't think he would have enjoyed the Rijksmuseum if it weren't for the scavenger hunt we did that kept him occupied and involved some trivia and such too, rather than just looking at paintings. He's just not that into art, architecture, creative things. It's still good to expose him to them, though.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@Figgy1 , what exercise routines have you been following lately? (I figure that lifting bushels of food into the car for James' meals, must cover your weight-lifting quota for the week. ;) ) Are you still following some of those online cardio (an/or yoga) workouts? I'm still keeping up with my local hiking treks, and now the foliage is just beginning to get colorful, so seeing that revs up my energy.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Still dealing with the ankle sprain.

I walked around Hershey yesterday again. I didn't need the brace on the left one at all and it didn't hurt at all after a day of walking. Huzzah!

My right one is a different story. After a day of walking, I came home and found it was swollen and bruised again. I'm debating if I need to go to the podiatrist to get the cortisone shot in it.

My gym membership restarts on the 15th, so I can start going to the pool there in an effort to get my ankle back in shape.

I might try to use the weights this week on the floor just to work on my arms. I don't want to risk hurting myself but this is driving me nuts.
IMHO it's time to see the orthopedist. Get well soon xoxo

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
@Figgy1 , what exercise routines have you been following lately? (I figure that lifting bushels of food into the car for James' meals, must cover your weight-lifting quota for the week. ;) ) Are you still following some of those online cardio (an/or yoga) workouts? I'm still keeping up with my local hiking treks, and now the foliage is just beginning to get colorful, so seeing that revs up my energy.
I actually took the long weekend mostly off due to stress and being on the phone so much. Sunday I did some light stretching and yesterday I did some mini practices. Today's plan a couple more Leslie Sansone walks and a bedtime zen practice. Tonight's dinner butternut soup and salad.

HouCuseChickie

E and I were actually talking about this yesterday. She has this project thing for school...it's a yearlong thing and it's to ensure students are exposed to art in many forms. They have to go to several different performances by professionals....dance, music, theater, etc...they have workshops periodically. They recently did one in which they had to paint bamboo, using the chinese style paintbrushes and ink....kind of like this:
View attachment 592859

There's one where they will write poetry, one about photography, and there was one that involved doing theater. And there's a lot of writing about art....they have to look at art or architecture on the way to/from school and write about it (difficult since her school is so close...there ISN'T much art, unless you count graffiti.). They have to cook or ASK someone to cook their family's most culinary meal, taking pictures, writing down the recipe....we did that on Sunday. And she had to make a profile about art throughout her life....what were her favorite books as a child? What art or museums has she been to and what were her favorites, etc. I imagine there are a lot of kids who have probably never been to a museum or anything, and we haven't done a lot of ART museums, but we've done a lot of HISTORICAL museums. But since she has to look at architecture, we talked about that and how A would be SO bored...that's totally not his thing, but we love it. We've visited some castles...A actually did enjoy Neuschwanstein, though part of that might be the intrigue about "the mad king" Ludwig II who had it built, and part of it was the really serene setting without so much sensory overload in Bavaria. I think he was pretty bored at Castle de Haar. And I don't think he would have enjoyed the Rijksmuseum if it weren't for the scavenger hunt we did that kept him occupied and involved some trivia and such too, rather than just looking at paintings. He's just not that into art, architecture, creative things. It's still good to expose him to them, though.

I like this yearlong project idea. I hate that the US doesn't require more of this...at least in a lot of states/public school plans. I think kids can learn so much through the arts and I think a lot of people who only see $ neglect to see how the arts tie into so many other subjects. We've taken our kids to a handful of museums with this in mind, but they may have been a bit too young for it to click. I believe it was my AP Western Civ teacher who really tapped into this to help get us beyond the textbook. I remember a lengthy period on the Renaissance where we were each assigned artists and had to get into how their religious works of the time tied into various things going on in the church/governing bodies, and then contrast with their secular works and what these said about society at the time. We even got a nice trip to the Met and the Cloisters in NYC out of this unit...although the trip took it even farther, pushing us to look at other cultures represented in there through their art as well as comparing and contrasting with more modern periods that tended to have more secular focus. I would have LOVED to be able to go to castles as part of it, but not really an option for us. Although, a scavenger hunt in a castle does sound like a lot of fun!

Songbird76

I actually took the long weekend mostly off due to stress and being on the phone so much. Sunday I did some light stretching and yesterday I did some mini practices. Today's plan a couple more Leslie Sansone walks and a bedtime zen practice. Tonight's dinner butternut soup and salad.
Butternut soup sounds really good....I've never made it. Is it pretty easy? I have either a really bad cold or some sort of respiratory tract infection. I'm pretty sure it is NOT covid because A, I'm completely vaccinated and I got it from A who is also completely vaccinated, so for it to be Covid, it would have to get through both of our vaccinations, and B, I've done two self tests on different days and they were both negative. I would think if it WAS covid, one of them would have been positive. Anyway, soup just sounds really soothing and comforting, but I'm not up to anything hugely difficult. I'm planning to make chili tomorrow night to pump some garlic and chilis into my system to kill some body invaders.

Songbird76

I like this yearlong project idea. I hate that the US doesn't require more of this...at least in a lot of states/public school plans. I think kids can learn so much through the arts and I think a lot of people who only see $ neglect to see how the arts tie into so many other subjects. We've taken our kids to a handful of museums with this in mind, but they may have been a bit too young for it to click. I believe it was my AP Western Civ teacher who really tapped into this to help get us beyond the textbook. I remember a lengthy period on the Renaissance where we were each assigned artists and had to get into how their religious works of the time tied into various things going on in the church/governing bodies, and then contrast with their secular works and what these said about society at the time. We even got a nice trip to the Met and the Cloisters in NYC out of this unit...although the trip took it even farther, pushing us to look at other cultures represented in there through their art as well as comparing and contrasting with more modern periods that tended to have more secular focus. I would have LOVED to be able to go to castles as part of it, but not really an option for us. Although, a scavenger hunt in a castle does sound like a lot of fun!
Well the scavenger hunt was in a museum, not a castle, but there are some activities for kids in castles and such. Every year (except this past one, Thanks, Corona) there is a middle ages festival held on the grounds of a "castle"....it's more a mansion than a castle really, but it's called a castle. Anyway, they have falconry shows, fairy tale performances, jousting performances, etc, and there is a scavenger hunt with that where you have to answer questions about the middle ages by talking to the various re-enactment people. Things about when the first glasses were invented, why it was unlucky to have red hair, etc. We've done a LOT of educational things with the kids...there's a science and technology museum in Amsterdam that we've been to a couple of times, we went to the "Geo- fort" which is basically an old bunker that they've turned into a museum and scavenger hunt thing, we've gone to castles, and we did go to the Rijksmuseum which is I think the largest art museum in the Netherlands. We went to the Louvre in Paris, too, though we didn't have a whole lot of time to look around there. We've gone to the Watermuseum, the Train museum, we did a boat tour in Amsterdam and took a tour of...City hall? Or maybe the Justice Palace? I don't remember which, now. We went to Aachen, Germany and visited the church, the city hall, which has been turned into a museum, we went to Monchau and watched a glass blower for a while, we went to the Open Air museum in Arnhem, which basically shows Dutch dwellings from over a thousand years ago up to now, including windmills, huts with thatched rooves, and we've been to the 3 countries point where Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands meet. We went to the seafaring museum and learned about different kinds of vessels, the United East India Company, and about the history of whaling. So we've exposed them to a lot of educational things outside of school, but not a whole lot of standard art.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom