working out for Disney

epcotisbest

Gorgeous. Are these the flowers you have that have the double blooms? I know you've posted photos of flowers that have a double bloom before. Or were those hibiscus as well?

The double blooms are indeed hibiscus. They are container plants and are currently in the basement and have not been brought outside yet. They are terribly scraggly looking right now and I really hope they survived the winter indoors. They have been brought in and out for about five years now.

C146EF46-47D5-4030-B458-202448A3D033.jpeg

HouCuseChickie

So beautiful. I love hibiscus. I wish I could grow them up here, but the only kind that grow up here are hardy hibiscus and they kind of freak me out. They are massive! Hopefully, you'll start seeing some hummingbirds soon.

I'm hoping they survive. We are in zone 9a, so they can be planted in the ground here and can bounce back even after a freeze without any extra care. Still, we had that one year in our old house where it was just too much for them. At least they were relatively inexpensive...$9.99 for 3 gal pot plants. I saw the pictures of the big ones and they are huge! I feel like I want to plant more, but we're really at the very end of our planting season and I want to see what things look like after the mulch goes in.

epcotisbest

So pretty...both the flowers and the butterfly :) Azaleas? I don't know if I took any pics of ours blooming this year, which was probably about a month ago.

Yeah, our azaleas are just starting to come in. We are in the mountains with a different climate than just a few miles south of here. Right now I am fighting carpenter bees and pollen. The pollen is extra heavy this year and the local news said we had the highest pollen count ever recorded this weekend. I blew some debris off the driveway yesterday and it was just a big old cloud of yellow!
We are right in the transition zone between zones 6 and 7 with most of Georgia being in zone 7 or 8 so spring and summer arrive just a little later here than in most of Georgia. Friends in the Atlanta area have most of their azaleas already come and gone or at least finishing up with blooms dropping.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, they said here that anyone who gets into an altercation at the grocery store will be banned for 1 year, so hopefully people won't be stupid. And there are people here outside of the police, basically like security guards hired by the city and they can give people large fines for not adhering to the new rules.

But yes, people hoarding/stock piling are a problem. I don't buy more than usual, or maybe 1 extra bag of pasta so I have one on hand. But some people also don't think what they are doing is panic buying. If they aren't visibly upset, they think it's reasonable to spend more than a month's grocery budget in one day. I can't imagine spending $700 on groceries!!
When we got back from Florida there was no fresh anything in the house and I wasn't keeping up with my pantry restocking beforehand so you don't want to know how much we spent on those shopping trips;)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I never went for a walk. My stomach felt a bit sketch, so I decided just to take it easy. I don't think I have anything, I just have a weird stomach that goes off from time to time.

My flight attendant friend who used to post here has been calling in sick because she's worried about this. She said some of her coworkers have caught this. She is taking FMLA time off until this blows over. Flight Attendants are considered essential right now, I feel sorry for these people. They have been told to stay in their hotel rooms and eat room service for the duration of their layovers. It's also being in close contact with people in a tube, plus late nights and early mornings. That's not the best thing for your immune system.

Anyway, because I follow some yoga instructors on Facebook, I get to see some interesting posts about coronavirus. This one instructor blamed the media for social distancing. She said it's something made up by the media. No, it's a tried and true public health measure. Then she goes on about garlic being antiviral and eating a lot of it can prevent you from catching c-19-- someone should tell that to the Italians... But it's just a bunch of woo crap that usually doesn't bother me any other time, but it's getting weird. She says stuff how she's tuned in to the changes and vibrations and people who do yoga know what's happening (high vibration people) and everyone else is asleep at the wheel (lower vibration people). It mildly smacks of cult leader talk--in group vs out group. I love yoga and I even embrace the more spiritual aspects of it. But I love science and common sense, too. I think I might have to unfollow her--now is not the time to promote oregano oil as a disinfectant. I was following her because she would post classes on her FB page.
Some people are just crazy! I'm about as flakey as one can get as far as eating as alternative medicine as in spices, alliums, green veggie smoothies and such but I'm wiping everything down, practicing social distancing, disinfecting. I'm taking the nature and science approach. I watch a rather interesting couple on youtube who are raw vegan and I would have thought they would be all raw is all you need but they put out a few videos about the importance of social distancing and disinfecting:joyfull:

HouCuseChickie

Yeah, our azaleas are just starting to come in. We are in the mountains with a different climate than just a few miles south of here. Right now I am fighting carpenter bees and pollen. The pollen is extra heavy this year and the local news said we had the highest pollen count ever recorded this weekend. I blew some debris off the driveway yesterday and it was just a big old cloud of yellow!
We are right in the transition zone between zones 6 and 7 with most of Georgia being in zone 7 or 8 so spring and summer arrive just a little later here than in most of Georgia. Friends in the Atlanta area have most of their azaleas already come and gone or at least finishing up with blooms dropping.

It's funny, your zone hardiness is comparable to what I grew with in NJ. You wouldn't normally think of NJ and GA when considering planting, but I know elevation plays a significant roll in the equation. My friend lives on the southern side of Atlanta's suburbia and he said the pollen is really bad this year. They haven't been as warm as us just yet, but the great annual pollening has begun. Ours was awful, but we're now making that transition from bad tree pollen to bad grass pollen.

Songbird76

That's awful how your MIL lets your nephew get away with treating your son like that. Your nephew sounds like he needs a golden ticket to Willie Wonka's factory.
Well, they are much older now and he's not as bad. The only thing he does now is cheat at games, but my son is also better at dealing with it, and especially since my BIL and his ex divorced, my BIL is much better about holding him accountable. My Ex SIL didn't believe in using the word "no". She said "no" was too negative and instead you should redirect their attention to something else. So my nephew had literally never heard the word no. And she didn't believe in consequences. As a result, he was kicked out of preschool for being aggressive with other kids and they wouldn't let him back until they had him evaluated, which is when they discovered that he had a form of Autism. Once his parents divorced, my BIL started stepping up more and doing the things she wouldn't let him do. The teachers at school sent home notes that said my nephew was lying...like, they asked how their vacation was because he told them they had just been on a trip. Or he'd tell my son that Opa gave him 10 euros but my son wouldn't get as much because Opa didn't like him as much, when Opa hadn't given him anything. My BIL started paying more attention...we had been telling him he lied about a lot for a long time and he would brush it off as "a joke". Once he finally admitted that he needed to actually parent his kid, it got a bit better. And now he's 14, so he's grown out of a lot of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom