working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

My friend is really freaked out right now. She is sending me screenshots of her local FB mom group. Some are from nurses saying it's like a war zone in their hospital. Another post was from a nurse saying she had been talking to a patient with c19 and 10 minutes later, they went into code blue. I think if she texts me today, I will gently ask her if it's a good idea to watch the news and to be on social media right now. I don't care that she is venting to me, but she is really scared right now and I think avoiding those things might help her a little. She is lucky that she is in a place financially where she can take FMLA. I am thinking someone who is 22, moved to a new city because that's where the airline placed them, has no choice to but to work, so they can pay rent/eat.

I deactivated my "real" FB account. LOL I have a fake one now. I got tired of the parade of humble brag #SoBlessed posts, people posting their random thoughts, and seeing obnoxious posts from friends of friends. But I belong to a few yoga groups on my fake FB account and now I get photos of women I don't know doing crazy yoga poses in bikinis on the beach. I always think it must be so emotionally exhausting to have to constantly seek out validation from external sources. It's ironic, because yoga is meant to be about minimizing the ego, but I feel like a lot of people who practice yoga and post all of these photos on FB and IG are *very* ego-driven.

Yeah, I have a friend who is an ICU nurse in the Boston area and she hasn't really been posting very much, because she doesn't have the time, due to work demands. BUT when she does, it's pretty terrifying and usually in response to posts showing people out like nothing is wrong. I feel for her because aside from the horrors she's seeing at work, she ended up bringing it home and two of her kids are now sick with it. Thankfully, most of my friends are trying to keep it funny, furry, fitnessy or foodie. Thankfully, the yoga friends posting are all about inclusivity and are more self conscious about doing yoga on camera. Still, there are those that crave that validation and I just have to ignore or unfollow for a while.

HouCuseChickie

Good morning,

I woke up sore from yesterday's lower body workout, so today was upper body/cardio. I'd like to get out later, but it's rainy here. TBH, I am getting kind of grouchy b/c people refuse to follow the 6 ft rule while they are out walking.

I have rice noodles, tahini, lemons, various veggies, spices and tofu (and chicken). I am thinking I can make some sort of noodle bowl with that for dinner tonight. 🍜

I am thinking of making brioche dough tonight for breakfast tomorrow, but it feels indulgent right now to use eggs, butter and flour. I just made buttermilk pancakes yesterday and I am starting to get selective about how I use my flour. I read there is an increased demand for eggs right now, because people are baking cakes to pass the time.

My mother and my grandmother keep asking if my son's graduation is on. I told her to assume it's canceled and if it's actually not, to look at it as a nice surprise. My mother is 66 and immunocompromised and my grandmother is 85, even IF the graduation is on, I don't think they should be getting on a flight from Chicago to here. My mom wants me to fly my son out there to help them get to the airport and help them at the airport. My son has Asperger's and it's all he can do sometimes at the airport to keep himself from getting overwhelmed. I think the would have a hard time helping them out. 😕

Yeah...I don't get it. Like, they're out excercising so they think the rules don't apply at that time. I ran/walked on the roads today because I am just so sick of this. I had one very short portion where I used our trails to get back to a road to bring me home. It made up maybe a whopping 2 minutes of my walk. I encountered 4 people in that short time and none of them were going to yield to properly distance.

I didn't check the baking aisle, but I went to my regular market yesterday and aside from the lack of TP and canned goods, it looked like a regular day in there. So, I'm hoping markets will start getting closer to normal as the hoarders run out of room and everyone else starts realizing that there's plenty for everyone and that things are being restocked daily.

Oh no...I wouldn't want them flying. The reality, it's going to probably be a while before a lot of us will feel like it's safe to fly. It's a lot to ask of your son as well.

Songbird76

My friend is really freaked out right now. She is sending me screenshots of her local FB mom group. Some are from nurses saying it's like a war zone in their hospital. Another post was from a nurse saying she had been talking to a patient with c19 and 10 minutes later, they went into code blue. I think if she texts me today, I will gently ask her if it's a good idea to watch the news and to be on social media right now. I don't care that she is venting to me, but she is really scared right now and I think avoiding those things might help her a little. She is lucky that she is in a place financially where she can take FMLA. I am thinking someone who is 22, moved to a new city because that's where the airline placed them, has no choice to but to work, so they can pay rent/eat.

I deactivated my "real" FB account. LOL I have a fake one now. I got tired of the parade of humble brag #SoBlessed posts, people posting their random thoughts, and seeing obnoxious posts from friends of friends. But I belong to a few yoga groups on my fake FB account and now I get photos of women I don't know doing crazy yoga poses in bikinis on the beach. I always think it must be so emotionally exhausting to have to constantly seek out validation from external sources. It's ironic, because yoga is meant to be about minimizing the ego, but I feel like a lot of people who practice yoga and post all of these photos on FB and IG are *very* ego-driven.
It sounds like maybe your friend needs to see some positive news. It seems like she's being overrun with all the negative stories, and especially from the nurses- extreme cases. That's not the experience in most of the world and a hospital is not a good representation of the population en masse. I've been seeing some really neat stuff pop up....humorous memes (we have to be able to laugh or we'll cry), people doing nice things for neighbors, etc. People are decorating their windows or sidewalks, getting groceries for elderly neighbors, applauding for essential workers...over here, the red cross has opened a sort of hotline where you can let them know about someone elderly living alone who might need help. There's so much good going on...maybe she just doesn't know about it because she's fixated on the worry.

I tried to do yoga, but so much of it was impossible for me. I don't have much space in my house, even if I move all the furniture to the outer edges, the remaining space is too small, even if I could contort my body. But I didn't know it was about minimizing ego....I completely agree with you that a lot of people who practice yoga seem to seek external validation and popularity....very ego-driven. I don't think most people are like that, but those are the ones who are the loudest, the ones you see. It kind of gives the naysayers more fuel.

Songbird76

Good morning,

I woke up sore from yesterday's lower body workout, so today was upper body/cardio. I'd like to get out later, but it's rainy here. TBH, I am getting kind of grouchy b/c people refuse to follow the 6 ft rule while they are out walking.

I have rice noodles, tahini, lemons, various veggies, spices and tofu (and chicken). I am thinking I can make some sort of noodle bowl with that for dinner tonight. 🍜

I am thinking of making brioche dough tonight for breakfast tomorrow, but it feels indulgent right now to use eggs, butter and flour. I just made buttermilk pancakes yesterday and I am starting to get selective about how I use my flour. I read there is an increased demand for eggs right now, because people are baking cakes to pass the time.

My mother and my grandmother keep asking if my son's graduation is on. I told her to assume it's canceled and if it's actually not, to look at it as a nice surprise. My mother is 66 and immunocompromised and my grandmother is 85, even IF the graduation is on, I don't think they should be getting on a flight from Chicago to here. My mom wants me to fly my son out there to help them get to the airport and help them at the airport. My son has Asperger's and it's all he can do sometimes at the airport to keep himself from getting overwhelmed. I think the would have a hard time helping them out. 😕
Didn't you say your mother struggles with some narcissitsic tendencies? This sounds like one of them maybe? In her mind this is something she is entitled to attend and everyone is supposed to make sure she gets to, no matter what the cost to them might be. Did you explain to her that he can't handle that kind of pressure? How would he feel if they didn't make it to his ceremony, assuming it takes place? Are flights even going right now? Over here, a lot of airlines have shut down. Of course, over here, most of the travel is international because no one flies from one end of the Netherlands to the other....it would be faster to drive if you take getting through security, boarding, etc. into consideration. International travel is mostly forbidden....most countries have closed their borders. But even if everything is back up and running on time for graduation, I imagine the airports are going to be like zoos! It will be overwhelming for even the most level-headed experienced travelers. And what happens if there are delays or cancelations and he can't get back in time for his own graduation? He is probably the LAST person who should be going there to pick them up and bring them back.

Sans Souci

It sounds like maybe your friend needs to see some positive news. It seems like she's being overrun with all the negative stories, and especially from the nurses- extreme cases. That's not the experience in most of the world and a hospital is not a good representation of the population en masse. I've been seeing some really neat stuff pop up....humorous memes (we have to be able to laugh or we'll cry), people doing nice things for neighbors, etc. People are decorating their windows or sidewalks, getting groceries for elderly neighbors, applauding for essential workers...over here, the red cross has opened a sort of hotline where you can let them know about someone elderly living alone who might need help. There's so much good going on...maybe she just doesn't know about it because she's fixated on the worry.

I tried to do yoga, but so much of it was impossible for me. I don't have much space in my house, even if I move all the furniture to the outer edges, the remaining space is too small, even if I could contort my body. But I didn't know it was about minimizing ego....I completely agree with you that a lot of people who practice yoga seem to seek external validation and popularity....very ego-driven. I don't think most people are like that, but those are the ones who are the loudest, the ones you see. It kind of gives the naysayers more fuel.

I think she is worried because she lives on Long Island and they had people from NYC flee there, so there is an outbreak. She was freaking out yesterday because a baby less than a year died of c19 in Chicago. They didn't disclose if the baby had any other issues. I think, like a lot of people, she thought this was hitting older people hard, so she wasn't worried for herself. Now we're seeing this is hitting young, healthy people really hard without rhyme or reason and she is getting worried. I say silly stuff to try and cheer her up. I have also told her that odds are in her favor to have a mild case. I think am going to suggest we go on a girls' trip to WDW when this is all said and done.

You can do yoga for any reason you like--many people do it solely for the physical benefits. But there are reminders in classes about poses. You're supposed to ask yourself are you doing the fullest expression of a pose b/c of your ego or are you doing it because you feel it makes your practice better. It also helped me with having self-compassion and comparison to others. I just accept there are poses I can't physically do because of my build and my yoga is still beneficial. It doesn't mean someone who can do those poses is 'better' at yoga than I am. We are just different people with different bodies. I take all of these concepts with me off the mat, or at least I try to. :hilarious:

Sans Souci

Didn't you say your mother struggles with some narcissitsic tendencies? This sounds like one of them maybe? In her mind this is something she is entitled to attend and everyone is supposed to make sure she gets to, no matter what the cost to them might be. Did you explain to her that he can't handle that kind of pressure? How would he feel if they didn't make it to his ceremony, assuming it takes place? Are flights even going right now? Over here, a lot of airlines have shut down. Of course, over here, most of the travel is international because no one flies from one end of the Netherlands to the other....it would be faster to drive if you take getting through security, boarding, etc. into consideration. International travel is mostly forbidden....most countries have closed their borders. But even if everything is back up and running on time for graduation, I imagine the airports are going to be like zoos! It will be overwhelming for even the most level-headed experienced travelers. And what happens if there are delays or cancelations and he can't get back in time for his own graduation? He is probably the LAST person who should be going there to pick them up and bring them back.

Yes, my mother has Borderline Personality Disorder. She was diagnosed by a psychiatrist, not self-diagnosed, like I see people on the internet do. She's insanely manipulative. She drives me crazy. She has really poor boundaries and calls my husband almost nightly and vents to him about her life, her job. (I have long suspected she is attracted to my husband. She flirted with him a lot when we first started dating. There's a photo from our wedding where she is standing next to my husband and she has wrapped her arms around his arm and she is all up on him. It's creepy.) I don't feel that's appropriate for a MIL to have that type of relationship with her SIL--I think it's a weird type of emotional intimacy. She calls and texts until he responds. She has an uncanny knack for calling during dinner or when we settle in to watch movie. But you are right, that she feels entitled to attend this graduation. I honestly feel like she thinks my son is her "do-over" for being a craptastic parent to my brother and me. When my son was younger, I felt, at times, she was trying to usurp me as a mother.

Airlines are still operating here, just at reduced capacities. My son is not going to help them here. My husband made that clear. But I think the whole situation is moot. Sadly, I don't think there is going to be a graduation in June. If there is, I think it's going to radically different than the traditional ceremony we are used to. :(

Sorry for ranting. lol

Sans Souci

Good morning,

Today I did a YouTube workout video. It was core/hiit. Today is going to be warmer and not as rainy as yesterday, so I am hoping to get out there for some fresh air between the rain showers. Yesterday was non-stop rain. :cautious:

I made a really tasty pasta dish yesterday. I made a sauce from tahini, lemon, garlic, nutritional yeast and sambal oelek, I roasted veggies and tofu and I mixed them into spaghetti. I was going to use rice noodles, but I didn't want to wait an hour for them to soften. I wasn't sure if my husband would dig it, but he told me he liked it without any prompting from me.

I watched Uncut Gems last night. I thought Adam Sandler was really good in it, but it is a fast-paced, chaotic movie. I'm not sure how I feel about it. 🤔

Today I am going to remove stuff from the room that will be used if my husband or myself get ill. This way, it will be easier to clean/disinfect when the person is well. I won't have to worry about cleaning every little knick-knack. Such a fun way to spend a Sunday! 😂

Other than that, nothing much is going on. Just the same old, same old.

Take care. :)

Songbird76

I think she is worried because she lives on Long Island and they had people from NYC flee there, so there is an outbreak. She was freaking out yesterday because a baby less than a year died of c19 in Chicago. They didn't disclose if the baby had any other issues. I think, like a lot of people, she thought this was hitting older people hard, so she wasn't worried for herself. Now we're seeing this is hitting young, healthy people really hard without rhyme or reason and she is getting worried. I say silly stuff to try and cheer her up. I have also told her that odds are in her favor to have a mild case. I think am going to suggest we go on a girls' trip to WDW when this is all said and done.

You can do yoga for any reason you like--many people do it solely for the physical benefits. But there are reminders in classes about poses. You're supposed to ask yourself are you doing the fullest expression of a pose b/c of your ego or are you doing it because you feel it makes your practice better. It also helped me with having self-compassion and comparison to others. I just accept there are poses I can't physically do because of my build and my yoga is still beneficial. It doesn't mean someone who can do those poses is 'better' at yoga than I am. We are just different people with different bodies. I take all of these concepts with me off the mat, or at least I try to. :hilarious:
What I saw about the baby in Chicago is that he/she also had underlying conditions. The youngest person in the Netherlands to have it is apparently a 7 week old baby. Her father inadvertently infected her. :( There's also a 1 year old in ICU. They said they aren't sure why more kids under 4 are being affected more than was reported from China, but the littles seem to be hit harder than they were expecting.

Songbird76

Yes, my mother has Borderline Personality Disorder. She was diagnosed by a psychiatrist, not self-diagnosed, like I see people on the internet do. She's insanely manipulative. She drives me crazy. She has really poor boundaries and calls my husband almost nightly and vents to him about her life, her job. (I have long suspected she is attracted to my husband. She flirted with him a lot when we first started dating. There's a photo from our wedding where she is standing next to my husband and she has wrapped her arms around his arm and she is all up on him. It's creepy.) I don't feel that's appropriate for a MIL to have that type of relationship with her SIL--I think it's a weird type of emotional intimacy. She calls and texts until he responds. She has an uncanny knack for calling during dinner or when we settle in to watch movie. But you are right, that she feels entitled to attend this graduation. I honestly feel like she thinks my son is her "do-over" for being a craptastic parent to my brother and me. When my son was younger, I felt, at times, she was trying to usurp me as a mother.

Airlines are still operating here, just at reduced capacities. My son is not going to help them here. My husband made that clear. But I think the whole situation is moot. Sadly, I don't think there is going to be a graduation in June. If there is, I think it's going to radically different than the traditional ceremony we are used to. :(

Sorry for ranting. lol
By all means, rant away. Sometimes we just need to get it out. I think that probably happens a lot where women feel someone undermines them as mothers. My mom passed before I had children, but I remember a few times I got pretty upset about my mother-in-law. Once they were at our house and my son wasn't eating his dinner and he started playing with his dessert, so I took it away. He cried and my MIL gave it back to him. Or one time we were at their house and my nephew was there, but my BIL wasn't, so we were all kind of babysitting. He hit my son really hard on the bum so my husband put him in time-out and my MIL pulled him right out. It's so frustrating, because my nephew had a habit of doing stuff to our son and my BIL would never do anything about it, so we were glad for once he wasn't there so we could actually handle it, and then my MIL totally let him off the hook. And the worst thing was that when my son would start crying, they'd put HIM in time-out for having an outburst, but wouldn't put my nephew in time-out for hitting, kicking, pushing, throwing things at my son. He could get away with murder, but my son wasn't allowed to cry. And this was all when I was trying desperately to get help for our son because I knew something was going on with him, but no one believed me. They just thought he needed to stop crying all the time, so they punished him as soon as he started to cry, when a lot of the time it was because he was hurt when my nephew shoved him into a wall or pushed him down or threw a toy at him. I think ANYONE would get upset about someone usurping their territory in parenting. I know I did! You are completely justified in ranting.

I hope your son actually does get some form of graduation ceremony, but glad your husband put his foot down about him going to get grandma. That just seemed like a recipe for disaster....it's supposed to be about the graduate, not his grandparents.

HouCuseChickie

What I saw about the baby in Chicago is that he/she also had underlying conditions. The youngest person in the Netherlands to have it is apparently a 7 week old baby. Her father inadvertently infected her. :( There's also a 1 year old in ICU. They said they aren't sure why more kids under 4 are being affected more than was reported from China, but the littles seem to be hit harder than they were expecting.

The virus has gone through some mutations that have been traced as it’s traveling around the world, so that’s probably part of it. They’ve also said that China hasn’t been very forthcoming with their information and that the numbers they’ve reported look statistically off, so it’s highly likely that we can trust all of the origin data we have.

HouCuseChickie

I tried running on the streets yesterday. I got a mile in and just wasn’t feeling it, so I walked another 3. I did get pics of the house with all of the Easter eggs.

78102D5A-8C46-4F8D-806E-6B449087E3DF.jpegB2E8B30C-152F-4286-805F-ECED5BFFDFF6.jpeg

I wasn’t feeling any kind of traditional workout today, but I did 3.5 hours of hard work in one of our big flower beds. I should have taken a before, but it was absolutely overrun with weeds. This was the after.

19D29C3E-B2DC-49DF-98DD-682B1340E0DC.jpeg26B60DE3-5B50-4F00-9934-77AB24B03CB2.jpeg

We’re going to be doing things in phases, but red and orange hibiscus going in.

5E905831-1162-4964-A05C-249F4A44C866.jpeg

Songbird76

I tried running on the streets yesterday. I got a mile in and just wasn’t feeling it, so I walked another 3. I did get pics of the house with all of the Easter eggs.

View attachment 459443View attachment 459444

I wasn’t feeling any kind of traditional workout today, but I did 3.5 hours of hard work in one of our big flower beds. I should have taken a before, but it was absolutely overrun with weeds. This was the after.

View attachment 459447View attachment 459448

View attachment 459450
Oh man, can you imagine having to clean up all those eggs? And is there something in them? Are they just plastic eggs? I have so many questions! Are kids meant to come take one? Do they do this every year and do they store the eggs somewhere or do they get new ones every year? How much does THAT cost? How do they keep them from blowing all over the neighborhood in the wind? If they are real eggs, how long do they last before they start to rot and smell horrible? That's just a LOT of eggs.

I wish I could go out walking or something, but I'm so unclear about the rules I'd rather just stay home. They tightened the reigns on Thursday and said that you can't be in a public space with more than 3 people, even with 1.5 meter distance. But another news site said you can get a fine with 3 or more people....so does that mean you can only go out with one other person? Or is 3 acceptable? And the prime minister begged people not to go to parks and beaches and to please just stay home over the weekend and if people don't listen, we'll go on complete lockdown. So what is the difference between this and a complete lockdown? We're already not supposed to go out, and we are only allowed to go to the store alone. So is going out for a walk considered acceptable or is that frowned on? I just don't know, so I'm just staying home. I get out once a day to get groceries and that's it except if I have to work. My daughter wants to go with me, but they are saying to do everything alone if possible, so she's getting serious cabin fever. Anyone else struggling?

Sans Souci

By all means, rant away. Sometimes we just need to get it out. I think that probably happens a lot where women feel someone undermines them as mothers. My mom passed before I had children, but I remember a few times I got pretty upset about my mother-in-law. Once they were at our house and my son wasn't eating his dinner and he started playing with his dessert, so I took it away. He cried and my MIL gave it back to him. Or one time we were at their house and my nephew was there, but my BIL wasn't, so we were all kind of babysitting. He hit my son really hard on the bum so my husband put him in time-out and my MIL pulled him right out. It's so frustrating, because my nephew had a habit of doing stuff to our son and my BIL would never do anything about it, so we were glad for once he wasn't there so we could actually handle it, and then my MIL totally let him off the hook. And the worst thing was that when my son would start crying, they'd put HIM in time-out for having an outburst, but wouldn't put my nephew in time-out for hitting, kicking, pushing, throwing things at my son. He could get away with murder, but my son wasn't allowed to cry. And this was all when I was trying desperately to get help for our son because I knew something was going on with him, but no one believed me. They just thought he needed to stop crying all the time, so they punished him as soon as he started to cry, when a lot of the time it was because he was hurt when my nephew shoved him into a wall or pushed him down or threw a toy at him. I think ANYONE would get upset about someone usurping their territory in parenting. I know I did! You are completely justified in ranting.

I hope your son actually does get some form of graduation ceremony, but glad your husband put his foot down about him going to get grandma. That just seemed like a recipe for disaster....it's supposed to be about the graduate, not his grandparents.

That's awful how your MIL lets your nephew get away with treating your son like that. Your nephew sounds like he needs a golden ticket to Willie Wonka's factory.

Sans Souci

The virus has gone through some mutations that have been traced as it’s traveling around the world, so that’s probably part of it. They’ve also said that China hasn’t been very forthcoming with their information and that the numbers they’ve reported look statistically off, so it’s highly likely that we can trust all of the origin data we have.

Yeah, the CCP could announce water is wet and I'd still turn on my tap to check. I think this was much more devastating than they let on and I think it's made a lot people here complacent. "Oh, it's just old people getting hit hard. I'll just get a bad flu for a few days."

Sans Souci

View attachment 459443View attachment 459444

View attachment 459447View attachment 459448

View attachment 459450

So beautiful. I love hibiscus. I wish I could grow them up here, but the only kind that grow up here are hardy hibiscus and they kind of freak me out. They are massive! Hopefully, you'll start seeing some hummingbirds soon.

Sans Souci

This is the little volunteer azalea that popped up behind my outbuilding a couple of years ago. It has two different color blooms on the same plant. We like this one.

View attachment 459452View attachment 459453

Gorgeous. Are these the flowers you have that have the double blooms? I know you've posted photos of flowers that have a double bloom before. Or were those hibiscus as well?

Sans Souci

Good morning 🌞

I went back to yoga today. I can't stay away. :hilarious: I did class with a different instructor and it wasn't the most vigorous class, but he was good with giving corrections and pointers to get the most out of each pose and prevent injury. It's good to get those reminders now and again and I look at it like a tune-up.

Nothing new going on here. It going to be in the mid 60s today, so I'll get out for a bit later on.

I feel like I need to bake something, but I don't know what yet. It's too late for baguettes, because those need to be started the evening before. I'll look around and see what I ingredients I have on hand.

I hope everyone is staying calm, safe and healthy. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom