working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

Hello-

I did another quick cardio workout this AM. I'm feeling a bit burned out on yoga and I'm switching gears for a bit. :)

So, I noticed on a FA job board Delta has opened up hiring. I applied. It was a questionnaire about work experiences and I submitted it. I kept looking for a place to attach my cover letter and CV and there was none. After I applied, I got an email telling me they will look at my application and contact me if they want my CV! WHAT? A switch flipped in me and I just reached my tipping point with this whole process. I'm so tired of prepping for impersonal, one way video interviews and face to face interviews that feel more like Hollywood casting calls. I am so tired of these people acting like this is on par with getting admitting to an Ivy League university. I am tired of trying to find empty corners in airports, so people can't see me trying to stifle my tears. I have applied to six airlines and gotten two face to face interviews. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but it takes up so much of my personal time. It's not like driving to an interview site and driving home. It's basically a 2 day process and it's an emotional roller coaster. I return home from these interviews and I am physically exhausted for 2 days afterwards. I am kind of hoping Frontier doesn't want to go further with me. I don't want to offend my friend, but I am over all of this. I absolutely appreciate her help and her support when I went to my interviews, but it's not worth the toll it takes on me. It might seem like I am a quitter, but I think it takes strength to identify and admit when something just isn't working.

You're not a quitter! I also don't think any friend would see it that way either. You just value the quality of your life and your sanity. Until you shared all of this with us, I had no idea the hoops one had to jump through to even be considered for a FA spot...and then the games they play in the process, even after you're hired. I feel like you should write a book! I keep trying to come up with a catchy title, but everything coming to mind winds up sounding like an "adult" movie. :hilarious:

HouCuseChickie

Brown rice/quinoa pasta with marinara sauce View attachment 402437 hummus View attachment 402438 bean saladView attachment 402439 Everything is vegan and sugar, salt and oil free because this is a BBQ weekend here

I feel like we're on the same food wavelength. I have a school orientation right after work and needed something more substantial in my stomach since I have to run right after...so I made a bean salad. I had thought about hummus or the lentil pasta I had around, but just went with the beans.

Sans Souci

You're not a quitter! I also don't think any friend would see it that way either. You just value the quality of your life and your sanity. Until you shared all of this with us, I had no idea the hoops one had to jump through to even be considered for a FA spot...and then the games they play in the process, even after you're hired. I feel like you should write a book! I keep trying to come up with a catchy title, but everything coming to mind winds up sounding like an "adult" movie. :hilarious:

Thanks. It's an absolutely ridiculous process. I just happened to check my application at Frontier and I've already been counted out, even with a reference. It's funny how I got interviews with two major airlines and I've been rejected by Frontier twice now. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Thanks. It's an absolutely ridiculous process. I just happened to check my application at Frontier and I've already been counted out, even with a reference. It's funny how I got interviews with two major airlines and I've been rejected by Frontier twice now. 🤷‍♀️

I really would love to be a fly on the wall in some of these recruitment offices to see how they decide this stuff. I thought of you when we were flying last month and wondered how some of the FAs on our crew were even selected. I don't think I would have hired them!

MinnieM123

Premium Member

It does really seem asinine how they all "handle" (if you want to call it that) their selection process. :rolleyes::facepalm:

I think you've given a concerted effort, and certainly you are not a quitter by changing your mind, at this point. Enough is enough. I can't believe the hoops they put people through. The worst part? They've lost a wonderful candidate. IDIOTS.

Sans Souci

I really would love to be a fly on the wall in some of these recruitment offices to see how they decide this stuff. I thought of you when we were flying last month and wondered how some of the FAs on our crew were even selected. I don't think I would have hired them!

I think they hire people who perform well in interviews and then drop the mask once they are off of probation. The only thing I think was against me is my resume, I have a lot of gaps and short term jobs. It's from moving a lot, not being paid enough to keep my son in day care (so I had to quit), and having a child with special needs who needed to be taken to appointments through out the course of a week.

I am a bit relieved. I flew Frontier on short notice in March and their planes are filthy. The plane I was on was kicked out and before we landed, the flight attendant announced the plane we were on was three months old. Omg, it had scuffs on the seats and the nylon seat belts were pilled and shredded. The FA also yelled at me, because she was going through the cabin once more before landing and the person next to me was sleeping, but she had some wrappers in her seat back. The FA wanted me to get the wrappers for her. The sleeping woman also had a tablet and Beats headset in there. I refused to touch anything that's not mine. The FA pushed back on me and I just told her that I wan't going to touch anything that wasn't mine and she could collect it after the plane landed. I wasn't trying to make her life difficult, but I am not touching a stranger's expensive belongings either. I would have no problem helping her if I knew the person next to me, but I didn't. She gave me an nasty look and I just shrugged my shoulders. So these are the types of people they are hiring, people with horrible boundaries.

Sans Souci

It does really seem asinine how they all "handle" (if you want to call it that) their selection process. :rolleyes::facepalm:

I think you've given a concerted effort, and certainly you are not a quitter by changing your mind, at this point. Enough is enough. I can't believe the hoops they put people through. The worst part? They've lost a wonderful candidate. IDIOTS.

Thank you for the kind words. 💖 My friend was shocked and angry when I told her I was passed over. She told me I am more than qualified. She thinks they never got her letter. I honestly don't know. I thought when I started applying to these jobs, being a social worker would provide me with an edge. But I am thinking these recruiters don't know what being a social worker entails, even though I spell it out in my cover letter and CV.

My husband thinks I should have one more try at AA now that I have the beta blocker. Honestly, their interviews are exhausting. They watch you from the time you arrive until you leave. When you get there, they put you in the lobby with other candidates where recruiters with clipboards furiously taking notes on how you are interacting with others. When they take you back for the icebreaker and group activity, it's the same thing. I have a month to think about it, but I honestly feel so much resentment.

Sans Souci

Good morning-

I did some lower body strength training this morning. I was kind of tired, so I kept it low key. I think I'll be sore tomorrow. :p I'll get out for a walk before it storms.

I was little disappointed last night, so I did some emotional eating. LOL Today's a new day, so I'll make sure I get lots of water and loads of fruit and veggies today. I am trying to focus on the good things I have coming up. We're going down to DC on Saturday for the holiday weekend and then I am going on a Disney cruise with friends in a few weeks.

HouCuseChickie

Still keeping up on my morning workouts and varying it up between a focus on arms/back, legs/butt, core. Last night I ran one of my shorter routes that's pretty, but more challenging. The bulk of it is in the forest, so it's still crazy humid with no breeze (around 91 degrees air temp (feels like around 100) when I went out to run at 7pm) and the back half of the run involves about a 150' elevation gain. I was feeling good, so I also ran harder intervals for a chunk of this run. I felt faster than I was, but I have to remember the heat and hills...and that it's the best pace I've had in this area in a while. There's at least a little midway treat with a view of one of the lake areas...

48633835011_c6edc10639_c.jpg

But most of it is this...

48633976682_cee1efd183_c.jpg

Which is still nice, but it's an absolute sauna. I think it's going to pay off though. When I ran while on vacation, I found all of this heat and hill work enabled me to run longer and faster when indoors on a treadmill. And then just this past weekend, when the morning low dropped to 77, I was also able to run longer and faster. It's supposed to be low 70s for my weekend run this week...so we'll see what that does. I can't push it too much since it's the week before a race (i.e. not running as hard or as long), but it should be interesting.

I would like to smoke a brisket point and pork butt this weekend, but we have softball and I just don't think there will be time or energy. So, we may be buying BBQ.

Sans Souci

Still keeping up on my morning workouts and varying it up between a focus on arms/back, legs/butt, core. Last night I ran one of my shorter routes that's pretty, but more challenging. The bulk of it is in the forest, so it's still crazy humid with no breeze (around 91 degrees air temp (feels like around 100) when I went out to run at 7pm) and the back half of the run involves about a 150' elevation gain. I was feeling good, so I also ran harder intervals for a chunk of this run. I felt faster than I was, but I have to remember the heat and hills...and that it's the best pace I've had in this area in a while. There's at least a little midway treat with a view of one of the lake areas...

48633835011_c6edc10639_c.jpg

But most of it is this...

48633976682_cee1efd183_c.jpg

Which is still nice, but it's an absolute sauna. I think it's going to pay off though. When I ran while on vacation, I found all of this heat and hill work enabled me to run longer and faster when indoors on a treadmill. And then just this past weekend, when the morning low dropped to 77, I was also able to run longer and faster. It's supposed to be low 70s for my weekend run this week...so we'll see what that does. I can't push it too much since it's the week before a race (i.e. not running as hard or as long), but it should be interesting.

I would like to smoke a brisket point and pork butt this weekend, but we have softball and I just don't think there will be time or energy. So, we may be buying BBQ.

This is a really nice running/walking path, but I can see how that dense foliage would make it feel close when you're trying to breathe. The next time I move, I think that's going to be on my wish list--being adjacent to some lovely paths. You're running a 10K next week, right?

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did 45 minute pyramid kettlebell/jump rope work out. It was tortuous, but it's done. It was very repetitive. I am probably going to be very sore tomorrow, which means I'll be retaining water. Tomorrow is also my weigh in day, so I am trying to mentally prepare myself for that.

My husband & I watched Rocket Man last night. I didn't care for it. It was a bit too twee for my liking and it made me see that Bernie Taupin is the more talented of the two. I checked out when I saw it was going to be a quasi-musical. LOL I much preferred Bohemian Rhapsody and I am not even a Queen fan. 🤟

I am making chicken tandoori with grilled veggies for dinner. I'll make some naan for my husband. I've been carbing it up this week and I need to rein it in a bit. :hilarious:

HouCuseChickie

Had a decent workout in the gym this morning and thankfully, my right Achilles seems to be feeling a bit better. It gets angry if I overdo it on the bike and I think I made it worse by running that hill. So, I'm going to run a flatter course tonight. I need it too, because these puppies are going to drive me to drink! Right now, they're just driving me to consume too many GF cookies!

I know they are adolescents and this was the age point where the last dog was at her worst. Still, it's been bad these last few weeks. When we got back from vacation, Voodoo had started busting out of her crate. Thankfully, she didn't get into anything, but it was frustrating. I've been clipping it with carabiners when leaving the house to better secure it. I don't normally bother when we're home because I figured I'd know if she got out. Today...while I was working from home...she busted out of her crate and decided to start ripping up some carpet. I was upstairs in my office and didn't hear a thing! It's not awful, but not great either. Cookie is no angel either. About two weeks ago, she shredded a bean bag chair. The following day, she starting ripping up the armrest of the sofa in the kids' playroom. We thought they just weren't watching her, but she started to shred some more while right in front of my husband! Yesterday, my older daughter walked out of the room into the adjacent kitchen...back turned for maybe a minute...and turned back to a puppy chewing on a computer charging cable. The darn thing was smoking and sparking. I even got a mild shock when I unplugged it.

Anyone want some puppies??? :rolleyes::in pain::bawling:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I know they are adolescents and this was the age point where the last dog was at her worst. Still, it's been bad these last few weeks. When we got back from vacation, Voodoo had started busting out of her crate. Thankfully, she didn't get into anything, but it was frustrating. I've been clipping it with carabiners when leaving the house to better secure it. I don't normally bother when we're home because I figured I'd know if she got out. Today...while I was working from home...she busted out of her crate and decided to start ripping up some carpet. I was upstairs in my office and didn't hear a thing! It's not awful, but not great either. Cookie is no angel either. About two weeks ago, she shredded a bean bag chair. The following day, she starting ripping up the armrest of the sofa in the kids' playroom. We thought they just weren't watching her, but she started to shred some more while right in front of my husband! Yesterday, my older daughter walked out of the room into the adjacent kitchen...back turned for maybe a minute...and turned back to a puppy chewing on a computer charging cable. The darn thing was smoking and sparking. I even got a mild shock when I unplugged it.

About 10 years ago, we adopted our dog (he was just about 4 months at the time). He was a piece of work, too. He took a liking to chewing on the wooden, kitchen table legs - oh yummy! :rolleyes: Hubs said if he kept that up much longer, we might be looking at eating dinner. Japanese style, sitting on the floor with only the table top left for us to use! :hilarious:

Sans Souci

Had a decent workout in the gym this morning and thankfully, my right Achilles seems to be feeling a bit better. It gets angry if I overdo it on the bike and I think I made it worse by running that hill. So, I'm going to run a flatter course tonight. I need it too, because these puppies are going to drive me to drink! Right now, they're just driving me to consume too many GF cookies!

I was wondering how your puppies were doing! I think it's hard to avoid the chewing destructive stage, unfortunately. Especially for you, because it sounds like your puppies are really smart and stealthy like little dog ninjas, too!

Before I got married, I was in a long distance relationship with my husband in England. I went to live with him, but visa expired because of wedding drama my mother caused. We adopted a Jack Russell Terrier. Anyway, I went home for a bit. So we'd have these marathon phone calls. My husband would take the dog out for a walk before these phone calls, but he never wanted the walks to end. My husband called me and we started chatting, then Pork Chop started his barking. My husband tried to distract him with a toy. It didn't work, so my husband told him to stop. Finally the phone went dead. Pork Chop pulled the phone line out of the jack to get his attention. What a little brat. LOL

HouCuseChickie

This is a really nice running/walking path, but I can see how that dense foliage would make it feel close when you're trying to breathe. The next time I move, I think that's going to be on my wish list--being adjacent to some lovely paths. You're running a 10K next week, right?

It's really beautiful in there and that's part of why I like running them. Many of the areas have little brooks, streams and waterfalls. There's also the potential for wildlife. I am running a 10k next weekend. It's supposed to be my get out the jitters warm up race, but I do plan to run hard because it would be nice to start off with something to ease my mind on time.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I haven't worked out yet. I actually started this AM, but 20 minutes in, I bailed. I wasn't enjoying myself. Then I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. Ugh. I might take a break today, or maybe I will do something else later. Yesterday was a pretty intense workout, so I feel like I need something a little lower key today.

My husband is off today, so we'll probably get out for a walk today. :)

HouCuseChickie

About 10 years ago, we adopted our dog (he was just about 4 months at the time). He was a piece of work, too. He took a liking to chewing on the wooden, kitchen table legs - oh yummy! :rolleyes: Hubs said if he kept that up much longer, we might be looking at eating dinner. Japanese style, sitting on the floor with only the table top left for us to use! :hilarious:

It's funny...I read this and went down to inspect the dining room table to ensure it didn't become a chew toy. Thankfully, her focus seemed to be on the diner room and those table legs are all metal. I'm actually a bit insulted that she escaped and didn't even think to come and visit me. 🤣

I was wondering how your puppies were doing! I think it's hard to avoid the chewing destructive stage, unfortunately. Especially for you, because it sounds like your puppies are really smart and stealthy like little dog ninjas, too!

Before I got married, I was in a long distance relationship with my husband in England. I went to live with him, but visa expired because of wedding drama my mother caused. We adopted a Jack Russell Terrier. Anyway, I went home for a bit. So we'd have these marathon phone calls. My husband would take the dog out for a walk before these phone calls, but he never wanted the walks to end. My husband called me and we started chatting, then Pork Chop started his barking. My husband tried to distract him with a toy. It didn't work, so my husband told him to stop. Finally the phone went dead. Pork Chop pulled the phone line out of the jack to get his attention. What a little brat. LOL

It's sad because they are so sweet most of the time, they're housebroken, and they have a really solid grasp on most of the basic commands and command strings. Heck, I've even gotten them into a string of non-verbal commands. They're just a couple of bratty adolescents right now, and we're going to have to make it through this before we have well adjusted adults. On a side note...I LOVE that name! Pork Chop 🥰 I know Jack Russells can be total handfuls, so it doesn't surprise me. My friend told me a story like that with his last beagle. I guess he didn't like that he was on the computer, so he lifted his leg over the power strip and shorted it out. Dogs!

HouCuseChickie

I'm like @Sans Souci today...I also haven't worked out. Hubby is home because he had to take his truck into the shop. I had to be out early to pick him up and bring him home, so I'm just going to work out after I finish my work day. I need it because I ate waaaaay too many cookies yesterday. I'd been so good, but I just hit a breaking point. I did get in my run last night. I ended up running to my younger one's softball practice...which always makes people look at me like I'm kind of crazy.

Sans Souci

It's funny...I read this and went down to inspect the dining room table to ensure it didn't become a chew toy. Thankfully, her focus seemed to be on the diner room and those table legs are all metal. I'm actually a bit insulted that she escaped and didn't even think to come and visit me. 🤣

It's sad because they are so sweet most of the time, they're housebroken, and they have a really solid grasp on most of the basic commands and command strings. Heck, I've even gotten them into a string of non-verbal commands. They're just a couple of bratty adolescents right now, and we're going to have to make it through this before we have well adjusted adults. On a side note...I LOVE that name! Pork Chop 🥰 I know Jack Russells can be total handfuls, so it doesn't surprise me. My friend told me a story like that with his last beagle. I guess he didn't like that he was on the computer, so he lifted his leg over the power strip and shorted it out. Dogs!

Yeah, this, too, shall pass. I tip my hat to you for getting 2 puppies at once, though. We brought Pork Chop here when we (I) moved (back) here. He had to go in the cargo hold for an 8.5 hour flight. I felt so awful when we got him in Chicago. He was clearly traumatized by the whole ordeal. We were also staying with my mom in the short term. :cautious: She had her own geriatric toy poodle and my mini poodle, so this move really shook up his world. My wimpy mini poodle was bullying him and I had never seen him behave like that before. So we were living with three dogs at once and it was a mad house. If one dog wanted to sit on your lap, the others ones would too. But they wanted to be the only dog and not share the space. They all had to sleep in bed with my husband and me. There were lots of late night fights because someone stepped on someone else or kicked them while stretching out. It was such a crazy time. I laugh thinking about it. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom