working out for Disney

StarWarsGirl

Hello-

I started doing this yoga class, but it was seriously boring. I stopped midway and did a workout that used elastic bands around the leg. It burned my lower body a lot, but it was over before I knew it.

I am eligible to reapply for Frontier now. I am on the fence about it. There are pros and cons. Some of the pros are they are hiring 80-100 FAs a month, so your seniority gets seriously bumped up every month. There is a FA base in Philly. Their union just negotiated a much better contract with starting pay that almost touches a legacy. Until recently, they were lowest paid FAs of all mainline carriers. When I look at Glassdoor, I see a lot of reviews that say they love the people they work with and it feels like family. I have seen this even in poor reviews. Also, I won't be on reserve for decades, like United! My friend works there and she was on for reserve in 3 months! She now makes her own schedule and works when she wants to.

The cons are there are no international routes, save Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean. American Airlines won't let Frontier employees fly stand by, but other US carriers do. I fly out of PHL and it's basically all AA if I want to leave the US on a US carrier. It's an "ultra low cost carrier." I can't find their new contract online and I want to see how they handle things like dry cleaning allowance, tarmac delays and per diems. They used to deduct money from your paycheck to bid for flights on your own computer, so I want to see little things like that. I refuse to pay to make my work schedule. I'd like to know these things before (if) I get invited to interview in Denver. I am tired of throwing away money for these fruitless interviews.

I can reapply for AA the beginning of Oct, so I don't know if I should wait for that? I might throw my hat in the ring for Frontier and see what happens. My friend has written me a letter of recommendation, so that should help somewhat. :)
I hope you get it. I've Ben following your adventures in job hunting. FA sounds like a cool job to have.

Sans Souci

I've had the absolute worst week with my asthma. Well, for several years anyway. Started on Sunday, kept up, culminated into an ER visit on Wednesday night. I'm using my nebulizer every four hours, including overnight. I'm going to WDW. Not even excited because of how bad it's been.

Needless to say, working out got put on hold.

Wow. What do you think caused it? Is it the weather? When are you leaving for WDW?

I hope you're feeling better soon and are able to enjoy your trip down.

StarWarsGirl

Wow. What do you think caused it? Is it the weather? When are you leaving for WDW?

I hope you're feeling better soon and are able to enjoy your trip down.
My allergist thinks I have a sinus infection, plus our mold counts suddenly went up. I heard a lot of people at work hacking horribly, so I think I caught something there, even though my team members weren't sick. This my worst time of year typically, September-November. Normally I'm in WDW by now, but there's three people on my team at work, and my boss had a trip, coincidentally, to WDW this week, so I decided to be a team player and let him have dibs this week.

I'm leaving actually right now. I'm on a plane. My greatest desire right now is to sleep, get off, maybe use my nebulizer before getting on ME, then going to bed.

Sans Souci

My allergist thinks I have a sinus infection, plus our mold counts suddenly went up. I heard a lot of people at work hacking horribly, so I think I caught something there, even though my team members weren't sick. This my worst time of year typically, September-November. Normally I'm in WDW by now, but there's three people on my team at work, and my boss had a trip, coincidentally, to WDW this week, so I decided to be a team player and let him have dibs this week.

I'm leaving actually right now. I'm on a plane. My greatest desire right now is to sleep, get off, maybe use my nebulizer before getting on ME, then going to bed.

I hope you're able to enjoy yourself despite feeling awful. Hopefully the flight down didn't cause anymore issues. I am supposed be flying down tomorrow, but I am flying stand by and I am concerned about what's brewing in the Atlantic. If I need to leave, I don't have a seat on a flight, so it might be prudent to stay put.

My sinuses are driving me bonkers, too. I have been getting up in the middle of the night to sit upright because it relives the pressure in my head. My left upper teeth ache and my left eye and cheek just throb.

Sans Souci

Good morning--

I started the day with some cardio and then I did a core workout that uses gliding discs. It was fun. But I think the next time I do the disc workout, I'll just put my iPad on the floor, instead of streaming it and wrenching my neck to see what's she's doing on the TV. It was a workout with a mostly horizontal orientation.

So, I reapplied yesterday and my friend sent her recommendation for me. She also forwarded me the email from FA Recruiting saying they would forward her letter and my application on to HR, so we'll see. The prospect of being on reserve (on call) for only 6-8 months, instead of 6-8 years is appealing. Plus, since they only use three different aircraft, their training is only 3.5 weeks vs 7.5 at AA.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good morning--

I started the day with some cardio and then I did a core workout that uses gliding discs. It was fun. But I think the next time I do the disc workout, I'll just put my iPad on the floor, instead of streaming it and wrenching my neck to see what's she's doing on the TV. It was a workout with a mostly horizontal orientation.

So, I reapplied yesterday and my friend sent her recommendation for me. She also forwarded me the email from FA Recruiting saying they would forward her letter and my application on to HR, so we'll see. The prospect of being on reserve (on call) for only 6-8 months, instead of 6-8 years is appealing. Plus, since they only use three different aircraft, their training is only 3.5 weeks vs 7.5 at AA.

At least you have a better chance of getting in with that airline, versus the other ones with the ridiculous wait times. I wish you well with your application and hope that the recommendation letter from your friend will open some doors for you.

HouCuseChickie

I've had the absolute worst week with my asthma. Well, for several years anyway. Started on Sunday, kept up, culminated into an ER visit on Wednesday night. I'm using my nebulizer every four hours, including overnight. I'm going to WDW. Not even excited because of how bad it's been.

Needless to say, working out got put on hold.

Oh no, I hope you feel better! That's rough when you have to get up in the middle of the night for breathing treatments. Hopefully it'll improve so you can enjoy WDW!

HouCuseChickie

Good morning--

Wishing you all the best in this journey! The reserve time definitely does sound like a better set up than the other airline's method.

HouCuseChickie

I've been staying on track of all of my gym workouts and training runs. I had a really good run this morning. They seem to be hit or miss these days, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I decided to head to the approximate race route of the 10k I'm running in my town towards the end of next month. The trails along the route have more turns and mini hills, but it's a really pretty route, really good airflow, and just enough other runners and bikers to know there's help if I need it. I knew I was in a popular spot when I saw a run group crossing the intersection and parked near a bunch of cars with Houston Marathon decals. I'm still not running quite fast enough to meet my 10k proof of time goal, but I shaved about 4 min off of my previous best 10k time this morning. With the race route not having all of the little hills and turns, me going on race adrenaline, and hopefully it being a smidge cooler in a month...maybe I can get that 2.5 min (or more) shaved off my time. I registered for another 10k in two weeks to help get out the jitters. It looks very flat..so that's good. Who knows...maybe that time will be good too. Regardless, I really need to start driving to more pretty run routes for future runs...

48611975736_0d7dda95a3_c.jpg

I also got to see a local prank in person for the first time before getting out for my run...foaming of the fountain!

[
48611622483_476c594d26_c.jpg

On a fun note...I'm starting to gather costume materials! I have some serious crafting in my future!

Sans Souci

At least you have a better chance of getting in with that airline, versus the other ones with the ridiculous wait times. I wish you well with your application and hope that the recommendation letter from your friend will open some doors for you.

Thank you. I've become jaded with this whole process, so I just applied and let the chips fall where they may. My son graduates HS next year, so if nothing happens this year, I'll just wait until he goes away to college. That might be a better option. My husband travels for work here and there and I don't think my son is comfortable staying home by himself just yet. :)

Sans Souci

I've been staying on track of all of my gym workouts and training runs. I had a really good run this morning. They seem to be hit or miss these days, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I decided to head to the approximate race route of the 10k I'm running in my town towards the end of next month. The trails along the route have more turns and mini hills, but it's a really pretty route, really good airflow, and just enough other runners and bikers to know there's help if I need it. I knew I was in a popular spot when I saw a run group crossing the intersection and parked near a bunch of cars with Houston Marathon decals. I'm still not running quite fast enough to meet my 10k proof of time goal, but I shaved about 4 min off of my previous best 10k time this morning. With the race route not having all of the little hills and turns, me going on race adrenaline, and hopefully it being a smidge cooler in a month...maybe I can get that 2.5 min (or more) shaved off my time. I registered for another 10k in two weeks to help get out the jitters. It looks very flat..so that's good. Who knows...maybe that time will be good too. Regardless, I really need to start driving to more pretty run routes for future runs...

48611975736_0d7dda95a3_c.jpg

I also got to see a local prank in person for the first time before getting out for my run...foaming of the fountain!

[
48611622483_476c594d26_c.jpg

On a fun note...I'm starting to gather costume materials! I have some serious crafting in my future!

That looks like a really nice running route. I need to find new walking routes. I am burned out on all of mine. I really don't have any lakes or forests to walk through. I basically walk past a bunch of 70s era British and Dutch colonial-style houses everyday.

That's too funny about the fountain. It looks like a DIY foam party.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I took a break yesterday. I just felt like I needed the day off. I did make a bunch of lime macarons yesterday, though. I am going on a Disney cruise next month with friends, so I am bringing half dozen macarons for each person. I am filling them with homemade lime curd, homemade lemon curd and homemade orange curd. I'm freezing them as I make them. I haven't made them in a while, so yesterday's efforts look uneven. Some are tiny and some are large. I am going to try again this week. Nobody is going to be mistaking these for professionally-made macarons. :p

I am not able to go to WDW this week. There were loads of seats to get to Orlando, but getting home on Thursday or Friday is a different issue. There are not many seats left and I wouldn't have the priority an employee and their dependents have. We are driving down to DC Saturday morning and we'll get charged for our room even if we don't show up. It's become a tradition to spend Labor Day weekend in DC since we moved here three years ago. I'd be disappointed if we had to cancel, plus I have dinner reservations at some tasty restaurants that I don't want to miss.

I did a quick cardio workout this AM. I was the only one awake and I heard something moving around in the room next to where I work out. I ignored it the first time, but the second and third time freaked me out. I paused my workout and I went upstairs to see of my husband was awake and that's what the noise was. He was still asleep and as tempted as I was to wake him to check it out, I refrained. LOL So, I went back and wrapped up the final 5 minutes of my workout with every single light on downstairs. :hilarious: I do have a back door down in that room, it opens to my back yard, so maybe it was an animal leaning up against it? I don't know. I'll check it now that the sun is up and everyone's awake. LOL

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Hello-

I took a break yesterday. I just felt like I needed the day off. I did make a bunch of lime macarons yesterday, though. I am going on a Disney cruise next month with friends, so I am bringing half dozen macarons for each person. I am filling them with homemade lime curd, homemade lemon curd and homemade orange curd. I'm freezing them as I make them. I haven't made them in a while, so yesterday's efforts look uneven. Some are tiny and some are large. I am going to try again this week. Nobody is going to be mistaking these for professionally-made macarons. :p

I am not able to go to WDW this week. There were loads of seats to get to Orlando, but getting home on Thursday or Friday is a different issue. There are not many seats left and I wouldn't have the priority an employee and their dependents have. We are driving down to DC Saturday morning and we'll get charged for our room even if we don't show up. It's become a tradition to spend Labor Day weekend in DC since we moved here three years ago. I'd be disappointed if we had to cancel, plus I have dinner reservations at some tasty restaurants that I don't want to miss.

I did a quick cardio workout this AM. I was the only one awake and I heard something moving around in the room next to where I work out. I ignored it the first time, but the second and third time freaked me out. I paused my workout and I went upstairs to see of my husband was awake and that's what the noise was. He was still asleep and as tempted as I was to wake him to check it out, I refrained. LOL So, I went back and wrapped up the final 5 minutes of my workout with every single light on downstairs. :hilarious: I do have a back door down in that room, it opens to my back yard, so maybe it was an animal leaning up against it? I don't know. I'll check it now that the sun is up and everyone's awake. LOL

Glad you took a bit of break yesterday. We all need a day to just rest and veg out. The macarons sound delicious!!

As for the sound in the room, did it seem like it was coming from inside the walls? Or did it sound more like things in the room were being moved/brushed against?

Sans Souci

Glad you took a bit of break yesterday. We all need a day to just rest and veg out. The macarons sound delicious!!

As for the sound in the room, did it seem like it was coming from inside the walls? Or did it sound more like things in the room were being moved/brushed against?

They weren't pretty, but the uglier ones I tried were yummy.

It sounded like something was walking around on the hardwood floor. I was worried somehow a raccoon got into the house and was trying to get out. Then I was worried it was rabid. I checked for any critters yesterday and I noticed the hardwood floor is warped and buckled from the humidity we've been having. I wonder if that's what the noise was-the wood shifting? The floor is severely warped and needs replacing.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did another quick cardio workout this AM. I'm feeling a bit burned out on yoga and I'm switching gears for a bit. :)

So, I noticed on a FA job board Delta has opened up hiring. I applied. It was a questionnaire about work experiences and I submitted it. I kept looking for a place to attach my cover letter and CV and there was none. After I applied, I got an email telling me they will look at my application and contact me if they want my CV! WHAT? A switch flipped in me and I just reached my tipping point with this whole process. I'm so tired of prepping for impersonal, one way video interviews and face to face interviews that feel more like Hollywood casting calls. I am so tired of these people acting like this is on par with getting admitting to an Ivy League university. I am tired of trying to find empty corners in airports, so people can't see me trying to stifle my tears. I have applied to six airlines and gotten two face to face interviews. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but it takes up so much of my personal time. It's not like driving to an interview site and driving home. It's basically a 2 day process and it's an emotional roller coaster. I return home from these interviews and I am physically exhausted for 2 days afterwards. I am kind of hoping Frontier doesn't want to go further with me. I don't want to offend my friend, but I am over all of this. I absolutely appreciate her help and her support when I went to my interviews, but it's not worth the toll it takes on me. It might seem like I am a quitter, but I think it takes strength to identify and admit when something just isn't working.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm home again and I can tell by the amount of grocery shopping and cooking I've done since returning:rolleyes: I did manage to get a practice in almost every morning and walked about 8 miles each day while gone.:joyfull: This morning I got in a practice and it's a cooking day due to the weather which looks like it could turn on a dime

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom