working out for Disney

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry I've been remiss about checking in:( I've been dealing with some not fun plumbing and the weather has been nice so I've been away from all electronics. I've been walking, swimming and doing yoga, not all at the same time;) My fermentation experiment worked out so I've been eating kraut or kimchi on my daily salads:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:. Yes some days salad with an S because when it's nice out, I like to go raw. Not that type @Mr Ferret 88:cautious:

Last edited:

Songbird76

Calm down!!!!!!!!!!! You can do cardio and any other workout the same day. Just don't "work" the same body part with weights 2 days in a row. Listen to your body and you'll be fine. Let's say you're doing upper body every other day and on your day to do it, you shoulders or arms feel funny for lack of a better word put it off for a couple of days.
I'm perfectly calm, actually. Just asking before I get carried away. I think the reason my hip got so bad was because I was overworking it...I don't want to do that again. I started some pilates yesterday and couldn't finish the routine because it hurt too much. So I did some beginners yoga....I liked it, but I'm not sure I can do some of the things. Downward dog, for example, puts a lot of weight on my wrists and my wrists are pretty weak. My doctor told me not to do push ups or anything like that, so I might need to modify a few things. But I do want to work up to doing some of those things....it's just going to take me a while. Slow and steady wins the race.

Songbird76

Sorry I've been remiss about checking in:( I've been dealing with some not fun plumbing and the weather has been nice so I've been away from all electronics. I've been walking, swimming and doing yoga, not all at the same time;) My fermentation experiment worked out so I've been eating kraut or kimchi on my daily salads:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:. Yes some days salad with an S because when it's nice out, I like to go raw. Not that type @Mr Ferret 88:cautious:
I haven't been checking in a whole lot either. Too much real life stuff going on, and exercising more.
I'm sorry about the plumbing, but hopefully it's fixed now!

epcotisbest

I have posted several times about how I struggle to eat properly when my wife is out of town. She is on another business trip and, as always, the temptation to just hit up fast food drive throughs is high.
I had some leftover grilled chicken and brats in the fridge, so last night, instead of fast food drive through, I came home and grabbed a fresh tomato and cucumber off the vine that were still warm from the evening sun (I put both in the freezer to cool them off a little).
Chopped up the tomato and cuke, and did the same for a brat and piece of chicken, cold right out of the fridge. This made for a refreshing, and very tasty meal, and I perhaps enjoyed it more than a burger and fries. Oh, I did drizzle a little ranch dressing over the whole thing, but not a lot.
Planning the same for tonight. Little victories over temptation.

chickenandtomatoes.jpg

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have posted several times about how I struggle to eat properly when my wife is out of town. She is on another business trip and, as always, the temptation to just hit up fast food drive throughs is high.
I had some leftover grilled chicken and brats in the fridge, so last night, instead of fast food drive through, I came home and grabbed a fresh tomato and cucumber off the vine that were still warm from the evening sun (I put both in the freezer to cool them off a little).
Chopped up the tomato and cuke, and did the same for a brat and piece of chicken, cold right out of the fridge. This made for a refreshing, and very tasty meal, and I perhaps enjoyed it more than a burger and fries. Oh, I did drizzle a little ranch dressing over the whole thing, but not a lot.

View attachment 295631
Well done!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Still keeping up with yoga and spending as much time as I can outside. I have a dh rant. My dh read somewhere collegen is good for guys so he ordered some uber expensive protein powder with it. I have bones in my freezer and my local health food store has a powdered version for $8 not to mention jello in my pantry.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: He's in hiding

epcotisbest

Still keeping up with yoga and spending as much time as I can outside. I have a dh rant. My dh read somewhere collegen is good for guys so he ordered some uber expensive protein powder with it. I have bones in my freezer and my local health food store has a powdered version for $8 not to mention jello in my pantry.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: He's in hiding

I understand your dh buying something that he may not really need. It is kinda like buying another grill when you already have one (or four). I just bought a $200 pair of snake-proof boots because I have a piece of property that needs clearing and have already seen two snakes right where I need to be clearing out brush and over-grown weeds.
My wife pointed out that I already have a couple of pairs of boots and some snake gaiters. I tried to justify the new boots by pointing out a trip to the emergency room for a copperhead bite would be much more than $200, but I am not sure she bought that argument.

2000226193_340_P1.JPG

93boomer

Premium Member
Calm down!!!!!!!!!!! You can do cardio and any other workout the same day. Just don't "work" the same body part with weights 2 days in a row. Listen to your body and you'll be fine. Let's say you're doing upper body every other day and on your day to do it, you shoulders or arms feel funny for lack of a better word put it off for a couple of days.
Sorry I am really behind here. Like Figgy said. I did some new thigh and hip exercises the other day. They kicked my behind the next day. It may be a whole week before I do them again. I could hardly walk down steps the next day. So listen to your body.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I understand your dh buying something that he may not really need. It is kinda like buying another grill when you already have one (or four). I just bought a $200 pair of snake-proof boots because I have a piece of property that needs clearing and have already seen two snakes right where I need to be clearing out brush and over-grown weeds.
My wife pointed out that I already have a couple of pairs of boots and some snake gaiters. I tried to justify the new boots by pointing out a trip to the emergency room for a copperhead bite would be much more than $200, but I am not sure she bought that argument.

View attachment 295694
That's it! If I ever hit the lottery I'm taking your dw on vacation and leaving you and my dh together, without plastic!;)

93boomer

Premium Member
Hi just checking in. I am so behind that I haven't been on here a lot. Sorry about that. I have still been walking every day. Adding in Richard Simmons dvd sometimes. If I have a lot of yard work to do, I usually skip anything extra other than walking. It has been so extreme in temps this summer that we have to wait later to walk in the evening.
I have determined that I need more food and a bit more sodium in my diet. With this high bp issue, I have been watching when we eat out. I don't use salt in cooking at home. But, I may have cut it down a tad too much. I start getting a little weird feeling and shaky, But, once I eat a good meal with a little salt, I feel better. Plus, I have been downing a ton of water. Maybe too much. So, more trial and error. But, that is life, right?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi just checking in. I am so behind that I haven't been on here a lot. Sorry about that. I have still been walking every day. Adding in Richard Simmons dvd sometimes. If I have a lot of yard work to do, I usually skip anything extra other than walking. It has been so extreme in temps this summer that we have to wait later to walk in the evening.
I have determined that I need more food and a bit more sodium in my diet. With this high bp issue, I have been watching when we eat out. I don't use salt in cooking at home. But, I may have cut it down a tad too much. I start getting a little weird feeling and shaky, But, once I eat a good meal with a little salt, I feel better. Plus, I have been downing a ton of water. Maybe too much. So, more trial and error. But, that is life, right?
Exactly. Have you tried adding in "No Salt" for the potassium?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Like a lot of you I've been trying to get in somewhat better shape in anticipation of the next trip. Hopefully unlike a lot of you, I really needed to get my butt in gear before the trip anyway, I got up to near 270 lbs. Been jogging and walking as much as possible to help, including every work day, once I get to Penn Station I walk to work in midtown, then walk back at the end of the day.

Over the past few days, despite temps in the mid-to-upper 80s, I haven't finished those walk dripping in sweat like I just ran a marathon. I'm not bone dry either, but the difference between how those walks were draining me before and now is marked. But I don't know how much of that is the effort I'm making, or if the heat's just been a dry heat, or I'm too tired to sweat.

Down to 244 as of this morning, I hope to be at least down to 235 before the trip...then after the trip get down to, and maintain at, 220.

To that end...no Deluxe Dining Plan this time. Also fewer buffets, though there are still a few, usually breakfasts in parks before they open. Maybe it'll be easier to eat less if I'm not thinking "but I gotta get my money's worth."
Congrats and well done. I quoted you here because we all like to hear success stories and cheer each other on. Keep up the good work and stay hydrated. ps we're as social as health minded so drop in anytime

MinnieM123

Premium Member

There's a fine balance in the sodium potassium pump function. Won't go into details here, but a few years ago my sodium level was very low,, and I nearly passed out at work. Luckily, working in a hospital, they immediately rushed me to emergency. Basically, we all need sodium (to a point) in our diets to balance out other functtions.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

View attachment 295631

I realy admire your will power, and that meal you made looks great!

93boomer

Premium Member
There's a fine balance in the sodium potassium pump function. Won't go into details here, but a few years ago my sodium level was very low,, and I nearly passed out at work. Luckily, working in a hospital, they immediately rushed me to emergency. Basically, we all need sodium (to a point) in our diets to balance out other functtions.
I agree. Everyone needs sodium to function. I think sometimes if you have high bp, dtrs tell you to cut out sodium but do not take into count that you may already do that and can’t cut out any more. My Mom cut her’s out too low awhile back and had to be hospitalized due to low sodium. I try to eat good during the week low sodium, then as best I can when we go out on the weekend.

epcotisbest

Here is another one of my silly breakfast concoctions. Leftover hot dogs from a Saturday cookout made into a hash with hot dog chili, diced tomato, diced Vidalia onion, pickled jalapeno and salsa sauteed with a drizzle of olive oil. Topped with a fried egg because, hey why not?

hotdoghash2.jpg
hotdoghash.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Here is another one of my silly breakfast concoctions. Leftover hot dogs from a Saturday cookout made into a hash with hot dog chili, diced tomato, diced Vidalia onion, pickled jalapeno and salsa sauteed with a drizzle of olive oil. Topped with a fried egg because, hey why not?

View attachment 296556
View attachment 296557

Ha! You crack me up--very creative: hot dog hash!! :joyfull: I'll bet it was delicious and I like how you topped it off with a fried egg, too.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster

View attachment 296556
View attachment 296557
Yes please sans hot dog and egg thank you

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom