Words of Inspiration

fmingo36

Original Poster
With only 31 days till the Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon I thought we could all use some words of inspiration to get through the next month. While at B&N today, I purchased the book "The Quotable Marathoner".

As I flipped through the book, I found some really great quotes, so I thought I would share one with my Disney running comrades each day before race day. I hope you enjoy them!

Here's today's:

"Training for a marathon is much like climbing a ladder. Each ring is a short term goal that must be met in sequence in order to reach the long-term goal at the top of the ladder"

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
GET OUT OF MY BRAIN! I was just thinking of starting a thread like this. :lol:

Mine for today is the one that carried me through my first 2 Halves.

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.
You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do.
The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.
But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

fmingo36

Original Poster
Here's todays:

"We have only one life to live, and it passes by very quickly. So we'll go for it, and maybe see if it's possible. And if we don't make it, at least we'll know we gave it our best effort. That's all any of us can do." -Uta Pippig

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Mine today:

If you're complaining, "oh my legs just won't move today..." just think about the folks in this world who cannot even walk...

Now quit b!@#$ing and run.

Yeah, no sympathy here:D

joel_maxwell

Mine today since I know it is hot, it is muggy and sometimes just not fun... but it will pay off in that moment you cross the finish line.

If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.

- Bear Bryant

fmingo36

Original Poster
29 days to go!

"Every day gives you the opportunity to improve. With every run, you can try to be better. Not just a better runner, but a better person."--John "The Penguin" Bingham

joel_maxwell

My quote for the day: Believe 100% you will reach your goal. There is no alternative.

[FONT=Verdana,arial,helvetica]Somehow I can't believe that there are any heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secrets of making dreams come true. This special secret - curiosity, confidence, courage, and constancy, and the greatest of all is confidence. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable. - Walt Disney [/FONT]

fmingo36

Original Poster
My quote for the day: Believe 100% you will reach your goal. There is no alternative.

[FONT=Verdana,arial,helvetica]Somehow I can't believe that there are any heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secrets of making dreams come true. This special secret - curiosity, confidence, courage, and constancy, and the greatest of all is confidence. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable. - Walt Disney [/FONT]

Great quotes from you and Walt!

fmingo36

Original Poster
28 days to go!

"Success is 90% physical and 10% mental. But never underestimate the power of that 10%"-Tom Fleming

joel_maxwell

Quote of the day: For those who are struggling with failures in motivation, a lack of quality runs or even have successful runs...

Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
-Winston Churchill

fmingo36

Original Poster
Since most of us do our long runs on the weekends--here's today's:

"Use the long run to its fullest. Ask yourself.'Where do I hurt after the run? What muscles are sore? Do I feel dehydrated? What about my shoes; were they laces too tight? Did I wear the right socks?' Use it as a form of self-assessment"

fmingo36

Original Poster
Since Jeff Galloway been named the Official Training Consultant to Disney’s series of endurance events, here's one from him:

"When I finish a run, every part of me is smiling"-Jeff Galloway

joel_maxwell

My quote for the weekend after a perfect run Saturday morning. I did it.

"There's a lot of blood, sweat, and guts between dreams and success."
- Paul Bryant

fmingo36

Original Poster
Happy Labor Day Everyone!

"For the last six month we'd been trying to explain to friends or co-workers why we wanted to run a marathon. Now we were in a crowd of people who understood why. There was no need to explain. I loved being a part of them, of their energy. I felt like I belonged there."-Kim Ahrens( after her 1st marathon)

fmingo36

Original Poster
With 24 days to go:

"I've learned that finishing a marathon-or even five or ten miles, if that's as far as you choose to go-isn't just an athletic achievement. It's a state of mind; a state of mind that says anything is possible."-John Hanc

joel_maxwell

Quote of the day:

I think we're going to the moon because it's in the nature of the human being to face challenges. It's by the nature of his deep inner soul... we're required to do these things just as salmon swim upstream.

- Neil Armstrong

JillC LI

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.
You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do.
The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.
But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

This one is sooo true. But you have to learn it for yourself in order to believe it.

In the spirit of just having returned yesterday from an African safari and seen this firsthand, I'll share one of my favorite running quotes:
“Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom