Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Agreed. Perhaps short term it will be great for the resort, but I'm worried that over time, the land won't be able to adapt to remain relevant for future audiences.

Exactly.

I just want another Pirates or Mansion. But that’s not going to happen anytime soon, or ever at this point. All that land and it’s all going to Star Wars.

It’s sickening.

SuddenStorm

Exactly.

I just want another Pirates or Mansion. But that’s not going to happen anytime soon, or ever at this point. All that land and it’s all going to Star Wars.

It’s sickening.

That's the dream, isn't it. Or even another Big Thunder or Space. Just a good, original ride that endures for decades.

Let's see if Battle Escape has a segment that becomes as iconic as the stretching room. Or something as surreal and immersive as the caverns in pirates.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe this isn’t real. Tomorrow we’ll all wake up and go out for Big Thunder Barbecue, pet some goats, and do some arts and crafts in the festival arena while a train chugs by. And then we’ll sit at Hungry Bear restaurant on a rainy day and look down the river and lose ourselves in the view of the big, endless wall of trees. *sigh*

basereality.gif

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Maybe this isn’t real. Tomorrow we’ll all wake up and go out for Big Thunder Barbecue, pet some goats, and do some arts and crafts in the festival arena while a train chugs by. And then we’ll sit at Hungry Bear restaurant on a rainy day and look down the river and lose ourselves in the view of the big, endless wall of trees. *sigh*

The petting zoo was one of my favorite attractions. Big Thunder Ranch in general was a gem of an area, quite charming and completely fitting of the park.

I wanna see carved pumpkins and my daughter star in the magic show in the carnival area. *wah*

I miss this!!!!😩

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I genuinely am disgusted with this project. 14 acres for two lame attractions that fanbois will drool over is mind boggling. That space could have been used for multiple experiences in the spirit of Pirates, HM or Matterhorn. What happens when people tire of Star Wars eventually due to 30 different movies coming out over time? It's not going to be a land that would be easily removed/rethemed.

When you say you want another original attraction, how would you feel if Disney ever created a new Journey Into Imagination? I've been thinking lately that the original would have worked quite nicely in Tomorrowland or Fantasyland.

Not only for just two attractions, but for ONE WHOLE FRANCHISE.

I’ll take anything, at this point. I’m desperate. If it means another Journey Into Imagination, fine.

Rich T

What happens when people tire of Star Wars eventually due to 30 different movies coming out over time? It's not going to be a land that would be easily removed/rethemed.
I’ve mentioned this before, but I really do think the land—with its non-movie-specific rockwork and layout—is designed in such a way that it actually *could* be rethemed, keeping the ride systems and infrastructure, into something along the lines of Discovery Bay...in the unlikely event that Disney actually does manage to make the whole world lose interest in SW. They’ve already killed my interest in the current mess of a trilogy they’re wrapping up, but I’m still looking foreward to SWGE. I think they’ve been wise to go sci-fi generic with the overall look. The land seems adaptable to just about any future scenario regarding SW’s popularity.

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't know about that, but Indiana Jones the ride always gave me that sense of vague non-specific re-themeability you're describing. Even in paraphernalia promoting the ride before I experienced it in real life, it never screamed Indiana Jones. They might have thrown in a guy in the suit or a big rolling ball, but it's extremely loose in its theme so that it could easily ditch the licensing.

SuddenStorm

I don't know about that, but Indiana Jones the ride always gave me that sense of vague non-specific re-themeability you're describing. Even in paraphernalia promoting the ride before I experienced it in real life, it never screamed Indiana Jones. They might have thrown in a guy in the suit or a big rolling ball, but it's extremely loose in its theme so that it could easily ditch the licensing.

That's why it's one of the best themed attractions ever. It's not a book report. It's just a ride that captures the feeling of the Indiana Jones IP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve mentioned this before, but I really do think the land—with its non-movie-specific rockwork and layout—is designed in such a way that it actually *could* be rethemed, keeping the ride systems and infrastructure, into something along the lines of Discovery Bay...in the unlikely event that Disney actually does manage to make the whole world lose interest in SW. They’ve already killed my interest in the current mess of a trilogy they’re wrapping up, but I’m still looking foreward to SWGE. I think they’ve been wise to go sci-fi generic with the overall look. The land seems adaptable to just about any future scenario regarding SW’s popularity.

...very fair take

Ismael Flores

The petting zoo was one of my favorite attractions. Big Thunder Ranch in general was a gem of an area, quite charming and completely fitting of the park.

I really don't understand why they didn't keep the Thunder ranch area or at least an eatery. They have this huge piece of land that they filled in with dirt between the fantasyland entrance to this new land and the existing backstage road. Why not use tht area for a nicely themed frontier themed bar-b-que eatery. They could have even made a mine themed eatery inside a cave and still have the dirt and landscape barrier placed over the structure. Another building like the Fantasmic storage building would have been easy to fit in that area and it would have backed up against a service road already.

There seems to be plenty of room,

The red could have been the sitting area and the orange a kitchen and storage area. The green is the existing service road. for a park that is slowly loosing places for expansion I would think that WDI and TDA would look at projects and see where they can utulize areas for storage and/or guest areas. They have proved to us that they can do a great job in overlapping projects like the Fantasmic building which is hidden under a lush garden area and great rockwork.
Plenty of room too for the small goat petting area.

Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 10.50.07 AM.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom