Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Travel Junkie

But that park would have no theme. The fact that each land is based on a movie is tangential and has nothing to do with the park itself. That would be akin to, if each land's title was written in Times New Roman font, saying that the park's theme is Times New Roman. It's tangential. Does Pandora fit DAK and Cars land fit DCA because those parks are about movies?

What about the lands themselves actually connects them?

I agree with you for the most part, but we have to face facts. Disney does not care about the theme of the park anymore. This is as close as we will be getting to a unifying theme. Disneyland, DCA, Epcot, DHS, and depending on your point of view even AK has all strayed or strayed widely from their theme in the last few years or will in the next couple. Even the vaunted Disney Sea is beginning chip away.

The future of Disney parks will be collections of mini lands with very little to no thread of connective tissue.

No Name

I agree with you for the most part, but we have to face facts. Disney does not care about the theme of the park anymore. This is as close as we will be getting to a unifying theme. Disneyland, DCA, Epcot, DHS, and depending on your point of view even AK has all strayed or strayed widely from their theme in the last few years or will in the next couple. Even the vaunted Disney Sea is beginning chip away.

The future of Disney parks will be collections of mini lands with very little to no thread of connective tissue.

Oh yes, many in the company don't really care. I think it will hurt them.

TROR

How long will it take for the public to realize that Disney's reputation isn't what it's cracked up to be after this happens? I'm starting to see disinterest in screen attractions at Universal amongst common guests so I imagine it would only take less than a decade.

SuddenStorm

I'm starting to see disinterest in screen attractions at Universal amongst common guests so I imagine it would only take less than a decade.

I'm trying to figure out how you could possibly have the insight on crowd flow, attendance numbers, riders per hour, and guest satisfaction to make the claim that guests are losing interest in screen rides. Mission Breakout and Star Tours seem to be doing fine, but I imagine the longevity of an attraction is more dependent on the overall quality of the experience, not whether it relies on a screen.

Universal is known to build lesser attractions than Disney (with the possible exception of Harry Potter), so the shelf life is usually a bit shorter since new rides have to be constantly introduced to keep up demand- but this isn't because they're screen based, they're generally just bad rides.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Universal is known to build lesser attractions than Disney (with the possible exception of Harry Potter), so the shelf life is usually a bit shorter since new rides have to be constantly introduced to keep up demand- but this isn't because they're screen based, they're generally just bad rides.

???

Just to confirm, this is your opinion and you’re not trying to state it as factual, correct?

I wouldn’t call E.T. and Back to the Future “bad.” There have been, and there still are, attractions of great quality at Universal.

TROR

I'm trying to figure out how you could possibly have the insight on crowd flow, attendance numbers, riders per hour, and guest satisfaction to make the claim that guests are losing interest in screen rides. Mission Breakout and Star Tours seem to be doing fine, but I imagine the longevity of an attraction is more dependent on the overall quality of the experience, not whether it relies on a screen.

I know it because whenever I'm casually talking to someone I'll do my best to shift the conversation to theme parks. When talking about Universal, people tend to bring up how all their rides are simulators and not as good as Disneyland's classic rides.

BrianLo

I don’t think guests in general are sick of one ride type. I think visitors to Universal studios lament that there are too many similar rides. Whether they can’t vocalize anymore than ‘screens’ or subconsciously realize it is also simulators and beat for beat story elements.

However, take a park like AK, which lacked a simulator - and flight of passage is receiving rave guest feedback. I don’t think it would be as warmly received in Universal... not because of some unnatural bias, but because FOP is exactly the opposite of what that menu needs. At the same time is compliments Animal Kingdom’s needs beautifully.

Epcot is screen heavy, but I think GoTG will play well to the public... because it is first and foremost a thrill ride and roller coaster, both of which Epcot’s menu is light on.

SuddenStorm

???
Just to confirm, this is your opinion and you’re not trying to state it as factual, correct?

Obviously, any claim in regards to quality is inherently someone's opinion. I don't think anyone could ever say that one ride is better than another as 100% fact- since people's tastes very so greatly. It's also worth noting I didn't say every ride they do is bad, just that in general, the rides are bad- you named two examples of rides executed fairly well at Universal.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Obviously, any claim in regards to quality is inherently someone's opinion. I don't think anyone could ever say that one ride is better than another as 100% fact- since people's tastes very so greatly. It's also worth noting I didn't say every ride they do is bad, just that in general, the rides are bad- you named two examples of rides executed fairly well at Universal.

Just making sure.

You said rides don’t last at Universal because they’re “generally bad rides,” which is false, assuming you mean they’re not popular with guests, or something of the like.

SuddenStorm

Just making sure.

You said rides don’t last at Universal because they’re “generally bad rides,” which is false, assuming you mean they’re not popular with guests, or something of the like.

It's an unfortunate reality that quality doesn't always dictate popularity- as shown by the Fast and the Furious movies, or the Tranformers films.

Rich T

I'm thinking--in the spirit of Last Jedi's theme of shaking things up and ticking off fans--the land should take some risks. Like revealing the latest stormtroopers are genetically modified puppies, having R2D2 voiced by Danny Devito, and making it clear that *anyone*, regardless of bloodline, can be a Jedi if they buy the highest-priced Light Saber. Also, change the entire franchise's name to Star Spats.

Rich T

Speaking of crows I saw one today in SF dragging the bloody carcass of roadkill across a busy street. I haven't been the same since.
Walking to the bus last week, I stopped to watch a crow trying to figure out how to open a tab-sealed Styrofoam restaurant take-out box he'd hauled from the dumpster. He never tried the same spot twice. After about two minutes, he got it open. I was so impressed I was genuinely happy to see the bird rewarded with a huge pile of food. :D

Last edited:

Practical Pig

I have a good friend who used to live in a very small, very rural community, and he had a neighbor who fed the the crows every day. The neighbor looked like grandmama from the Addams Family. Whenever she was walking around outside, there was a cloud of crows circling overhead like an ominous vortex of dread. Of course she was just a nice, but lonely old lady and her tornado of crows were just intelligent opportunists, but my spine tingled whenever I saw them.

grandmama.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

I have a good friend who used to live in a very small, very rural community, and he had a neighbor who fed the the crows every day. The neighbor looked like grandmama from the Addams Family. Whenever she was walking around outside, there was a cloud of crows circling overhead like an ominous vortex of dread. Of course she was just a nice, but lonely old lady and her tornado of crows were just intelligent opportunists, but my spine tingled whenever I saw them.

View attachment 255248

Photo+Jun+29%252C+9+38+29+PM.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom