Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I guess I'm wondering the opposite. What makes you think it doesn't fit thematically? Why does Adventureland fit, but not SWL?
It's just my opinion, but the various lands at DL are all themed around an idea (adventure, frontier, tomorrow, etc) where as Star Wars...is not in the same sense. Going into "Adventureland" really just tells me I'm going to experience "adventure" in the broad sense. Everything at DL is themed that way...except SWL, causing it to stick out from a thematic standpoint.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It's just my opinion, but the various lands at DL are all themed around an idea (adventure, frontier, tomorrow, etc) where as Star Wars...is not in the same sense. Going into "Adventureland" really just tells me I'm going to experience "adventure" in the broad sense. Everything at DL is themed that way...except SWL, causing it to stick out in that sense.
Umm, SWL is themed around space as an idea. So why is that any different?

spacemt354

Chili's
I guess I'm wondering the opposite. What makes you think it doesn't fit thematically? Why does Adventureland fit, but not SWL?
Adventureland is a symbol of Walt's love of Polynesia and animals, and was based on his nature documentaries on Africa and Asia. As a whole, the land ties back to the man himself. The land is also not a singular IP, but rather made up of unique attractions, some IP, others not. When it expands, it keeps the same spirit of "adventure" and exploration (with respect to Indiana Jones), without disrupting the feel of the land and its intentions.

SWL is none of the above.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Survey 100 people and show me the percentage who would agree with that.

If that's the case, then they ought to call it Spaceland.

Also, by that same logic, they could move the Astro Orbiter to SWL since it has to do with space...would you agree?

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Adventureland is a symbol of Walt's love of Polynesia and animals, and was based on his nature documentaries on Africa and Asia. As a whole, the land ties back to the man himself. The land is also not a singular IP, but rather made up of unique attractions, some IP, others not. When it expands, it keeps the same spirit of "adventure" and exploration (with respect to Indiana Jones), without disrupting the original feel of the land and its intentions.

SWL is none of the above.
Ah yes, let's bring Walt into this, though he was dead over a decade before the original movie. DL is not a museum, and should never be treated as such. According to the insiders, SWL is going to bring us some of the best attractions anywhere in the world to DL and WDW, not to mention the completely immersive environments.

This is an entirely new land, not an add-on to an existing land that breaks that land's theme. When they add new attractions to this land, it will not break it's theme either.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Also, by that same logic, they could move the Astro Orbiter to SWL since it has to do with space...would you agree?
They could have, since that is the theme of the land. It really seems that most of you are simply getting hung up on the fact that it is called SWL.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Sure, and they could also move IASW and CoP over to EPCOT. Oh, and why not Stitch since that has to do with space as well. C'mon. So no, I don't agree.

spacemt354

Chili's
Let's not play games. We all know Star Wars Land is based on the IP...Star Wars. Even the billions of people you claim who haven't seen the films. It's right in the title. The land will have the Millennium Falcon, cantinas, characters, and so on. To say that it's themed around space as an idea would be accurate...if Star Wars was a singular attraction within a land of other space themed attractions.

Going back to your Adventureland example. If there was an Outer Space Land, and Star Wars was a singular attraction within a land of many eclectic attractions (like Indy is in Adventureland), I don't think you'd be seeing people argue against it.

If only there was a land in DL that dealt with outer space....hmm...
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2010/08/star-tours-disneyland.jpg

Hatbox Ghostbuster

They could have, since that is the theme of the land. It really seems that most of you are simply getting hung up on the fact that it is called SWL.
Its called SWL because that's what it is. No one is getting hung up on the areas name when the entirety of the land will be devoted to Star Wars and Star Wars only. Did you happen to catch the panel discussion about it? Its supposed to be an immersive Star Wars-centric experience.

Were you around when there was a debate over whether or not the restaurants would be able to show the Visa and Coca Cola logos for fear of breaking immersion??

You can keep on saying that its only space themed and that anything space related can fit inside, but I highly disagree with that.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Let's not play games. We all know Star Wars Land is based on the IP...Star Wars. Even the billions of people you claim who haven't seen the films. It's right in the title. The land will have the Millennium Falcon, cantinas, characters, and so on. To say that it's themed around space as an idea would be accurate...if Star Wars was a singular attraction within a land of other space themed attractions.

Going back to your Adventureland example. If there was an Outer Space Land, and Star Wars was a singular attraction within a land of many eclectic attractions (like Indy is in Adventureland), I don't think you'd be seeing people argue against it.

If only there was a land in DL that dealt with outer space....hmm...
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2010/08/star-tours-disneyland.jpg
And there are already people stating that Star Tours is going away once SWL opens. Again, it seems like you are getting hung up on the name, and not that it is a totally new and immersive land. Disney wanted to go much bigger than just one attraction added to one land, and I think that was the right way to go. Also remember that there are rumors of the new hotel experience coming after SWL opens. I'm willing to bet that you'll have to reserve that 2 years in advance if you want to get in.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Its called SWL because that's what it is. No one is getting hung up on the areas name when the entirety of the land will be devoted to Star Wars and Star Wars only. Did you happen to catch the panel discussion about it? Its supposed to be an immersive Star Wars-centric experience.

Were you around when there was a debate over whether or not the restaurants would be able to show the Visa and Coca Cola logos for fear of breaking immersion??

You can keep on saying that its only space themed and that anything space related can fit inside, but I highly disagree with that.
Yes, I heard about the debate, and guess what - the logos will be there. And it is only space themed. What else is going there to break that theme?

So I'm still waiting for an answer about why y'all don't think it fits thematically. All I read is that you don't like it because it is based on one IP. What other reasons do you have?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not really sure what you're point is...I actually could see IASW and CoP being in Epcot...Stitch doesn't belong anywhere...that show is awful.
The point is that talking about moving an existing ride is pointless, since it will never happen. I think Stitch is awful as well. I also don't think that Buzz or Monsters Inc. belong in Tomorrowland either. Since that is an existing land, those do break the theme of Tomorrowland.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This is a Star Wars themed land.

Your statements are as egregious as saying Cars Land is just themed around automobiles...so anything "car" related should fit in it. Try again.
Hmm, I don't recall reading any complaints here about Cars Land, since that is also ONLY based on ONE IP. Heck, it's based entirely on only ONE movie, but I don't see y'all screaming to the heavens about it.

Again I ask. Why do you not think it fits thematically?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Yes, I heard about the debate, and guess what - the logos will be there. And it is only space themed. What else is going there to break that theme?

So I'm still waiting for an answer about why y'all don't think it fits thematically. All I read is that you don't like it because it is based on one IP. What other reasons do you have?
Maybe you're still waiting for an answer because you aren't actually listening to what is being said.

DL does not have ANY OTHER LAND devoted to ONE SPECIFIC IP. Thematically, areas at Disneyland are based on an idea and contained within are various attractions related to that idea.

Star Wars is not an idea, its a franchise.
Space is NOT the theme of SWL any more than Automobiles is the theme of Cars Land. (thanks @spacemt354 )

spacemt354

Chili's
Maybe you're still waiting for an answer because you aren't actually listening to what is being said.

DL does not have ANY OTHER LAND devoted to ONE SPECIFIC IP. Thematically, areas at Disneyland are based on an idea and contained within are various attractions related to that idea.

Star Wars is not an idea, its a franchise.
Space is NOT the theme of SWL any more than Automobiles is the theme of Cars Land. (thanks @spacemt354 )
I've answered his questions on Adventureland and why my position on SWL is what it is. But it'll never be enough for some because they ignore it and then ask the same questions again just to hear themselves bloviate their own opinions ad nauseum until it tires out anything that contradicts them. :rolleyes:

ctrlaltdel

While I believe this thread is an important place for those who are opposed to the land's placement (even if I happen to disagree with them), I do think we are just going in circles with the arguments. At this point minds likely won't be changed, and if they are it will likely be after the land is opened and people have a chance to experience it themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom