Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Travel Junkie

I guess I'm wondering the opposite. What makes you think it doesn't fit thematically? Why does Adventureland fit, but not SWL?

Disneyland is idealized Americana. Adventureland fits into that mold. I haven't been convinced SWL does. If you were to categorize the movies they would be soap operas to be honest. Also the 1 IP land plays a part of it. Carsland is not in DL. It is in DCA. Argument doesn't apply. If you want to talk DCA start a thread and we'll talk about it. There's plenty to discuss.

Umm, SWL is themed around space as an idea. So why is that any different?
Space is a location not a theme.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Maybe you're still waiting for an answer because you aren't actually listening to what is being said.

DL does not have ANY OTHER LAND devoted to ONE SPECIFIC IP. Thematically, areas at Disneyland are based on an idea and contained within are various attractions related to that idea.

Star Wars is not an idea, its a franchise.
Space is NOT the theme of SWL any more than Automobiles is the theme of Cars Land. (thanks @spacemt354 )
OK, I get it now. You don't like it because it is based on one IP. Got it. Doesn't matter that it will be probably the most immersive land ever, with arguably 2 of the best attractions ever developed by Disney.

Oh, and theming in a lot of areas, both at DL and WDW has gone out the window for about 30 years or so. It's a nice ideal, but hasn't been that way for a long time.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

OK, I get it now. You don't like it because it is based on one IP. Got it. Doesn't matter that it will be probably the most immersive land ever, with arguably 2 of the best attractions ever developed by Disney.

Oh, and theming in a lot of areas, both at DL and WDW has gone out the window for about 30 years or so. It's a nice ideal, but hasn't been that way for a long time.
Lol. I have never once said I hated SWL because its based on one Ip. I have been using that as a reason why it breaks theme of Disneyland proper...but you know...you keep on thinking what you want. I won't stop you.

spacemt354

Chili's
Except I'm not wrong. Actually, none of us here are wrong. It is only our opinions.
Your comparison of a generic Space themed Land to Star Wars Land is simply wrong because that is not true.

Your opinions on Star Wars Land are just that, opinions, but this is a discussion forum and going to the easy out of everything is just opinions isn't what debate is about. If it is all just opinions then why are you so inclined to challenge any opinions other than your own?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Your comparison of a generic Space themed Land to Star Wars Land is simply wrong because that is not true.

Your opinions on Star Wars Land are just that, opinions, but this is a discussion forum and going to the easy out of everything is just opinions isn't what debate is about. If it is all just opinions then why are you so inclined to challenge any opinions other than your own?
I'm not challenging y'alls opinions. Sorry if it came off that way. I'm trying to UNDERSTAND your opinions.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well...read what we are saying...because you've been jumping to conclusions without actually appreciating where people are coming from.
I was reading - and it appeared that the main argument was that it was based on a single IP, and that the lands at DL should not be based on one IP, but be built with a broader pen so to speak.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I was reading - and it appeared that the main argument was that it was based on a single IP, and that the lands at DL should not be based on one IP, but be built with a broader pen so to speak.
And that's apparently an argument you disagree with since, in your opinion, SWL is actually themed around the concept of space correct? (Even though the land promises to set new levels of immersion into the SW universe...)

spacemt354

Chili's
Never has a land in DL been based on a single IP, especially not a land of this size that has created a tumor in the back of the park. I'm sure it will be an immersive and incredible land...but I'm not traveling out to DLR to go see it...it'll be in DHS, pretty much an exact replica.

So that just further drives home the point that not only is this a massive IP based land going into Disneyland...it isn't even unique.

Cars Land was unique...that is something that we actually went out specifically for. If the way of the future is large scale lands like this -- at list have it fit the Adventureland, Frontierland, eclectic feel to it. Discovery Bay for example. Not like that would ever get built, but the fault I see with Disney over the next few years is they can't shy away from IP based immersion.

And yes, my final concern is it doesn't seem to fit thematically with not only its surrounding lands, but with the overall feel of Disneyland. If Cars Land was plopped in the back of Disneyland...I would be saying the same thing despite how incredible I think it is. Location is key.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
And that's apparently an argument you disagree with since, in your opinion, SWL is actually themed around the concept of space correct?
Yes, that is the part I disagree with - and it is absolutely only my opinion. There are going to be 10 movies at a minimum, there are multiple TV series, and countless books that are all based on Star Wars. In SWL you are visiting a space port, the movies all take place in space, so how is that not space related?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Yes, that is the part I disagree with - and it is absolutely only my opinion. There are going to be 10 movies at a minimum, there are multiple TV series, and countless books that are all based on Star Wars. In SWL you are visiting a space port, the movies all take place in space, so how is that not space related?
Because the theme of the whole SW universe isn't space its good vs. evil/family/friendship etc. Space is merely the location and setting for the universe.

By that same token, you wouldn't say that Indiana Jones fits into "Adventureland" because it takes place IN adventure...but because Indiana Jones is themed around adventure....do you see the difference?

ctrlaltdel

Never has a land in DL been based on a single IP, especially not a land of this size that has created a tumor in the back of the park. I'm sure it will be an immersive and incredible land...but I'm not traveling out to DLR to go see it...it'll be in DHS, pretty much an exact replica.

So that just further dives home the point that not only is this a massive IP based land going into Disneyland...it isn't even unique.

Cars Land was unique...that is something that we actually went out specifically for. If the way of the future is large scale lands like this -- at list have it fit the Adventureland, Frontierland, eclectic feel to it. Discovery Bay for example. Not like that would ever get built, but the fault I see with Disney over the next few years is they can't shy away from IP based immersion.
I can't really get behind this part of your argument. It makes financial sense to build a SWL on both coasts. Though some variation between the 2 would have been cool, it would likely add some unnecessary R+D costs. While people visiting of Disney parks may like some variation between the 2 parks, the vast majority of people will only ever go to one of the resorts in their lifetimes.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Right here is your answer. You're visiting the movie universe, on a planet in the Star Wars universe. That's a very specific location, and not a generic space
I will agree that it isn't a "generic" space theme, but I don't see why that's an issue. I guess it's the size of it that bothers a lot of people here as well.

spacemt354

Chili's
I can't really get behind this part of your argument. It makes financial sense to build a SWL on both coasts. Though some variation between the 2 would have been cool, it would likely add some unnecessary R+D costs. While people visiting of Disney parks may like some variation between the 2 parks, the vast majority of people will only ever go to one of the resorts in their lifetimes.
By that logic...nothing original should be in any parks. Everything should have the same offerings in each Disney Resort because most people only go to one in their lifetime?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Because the theme of the whole SW universe isn't space its good vs. evil/family/friendship etc. Space is merely the location and setting for the universe.

By that same token, you wouldn't say that Indiana Jones fits into "Adventureland" because it takes place IN adventure...but because Indiana Jones is themed around adventure....do you see the difference?
You can make that argument for a lot of areas at both DL and WDW. So using your logic, since both the space port, and the 2 attractions are space adventures, they would actually fit thematically into Adventureland.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I will agree that it isn't a "generic" space theme, but I don't see why that's an issue. I guess it's the size of it that bothers a lot of people here as well.
Its the single biggest land expansion causing areas like the river and railroad to undergo serious surgery. If for instance, they were re-skinning more of Tomorrowland to be more SW inclusive (although they pretty much already have done that) I personally wouldn't have as much of a problem.

As it is, the only good thing I can say is that we didn't have to lose any attractions to get it...unlike the TOT at DCA for Marvel land...but that's for a different thread.

ctrlaltdel

I think the best argument for a thematic fit in Disneyland is that Star Wars is a mish-mash of very traditional themes, genres, and settings. This includes many genres present in Disneyland, most specifically fantasy, sci-fi, and western. That's personally why I don't have much of a problem with it being in Disneyland (well, aside from being a huge SW fan) it has a very strong thematic underpinning, and the films are very much in the vein of traditional Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom