Wonders of Life/ Horizons Closings

Bluewaves

WOL seemed close to outdated 10 yrs ago and 5 yrs ago it was so outdated that I went for body wars and walked right back out and didn't even look at the exhibts. Tear it down build something new. Give me a weather pavillion or something else that won't be completely outdated by the time its finished.

Unfotunately thats the problem with a lot of EPCOT, by the time its a couple years old its so outdated it looks funny, like Horizons, it felt like the late '70's early 80's in there. Same thing with the last scene in COP its outdated. At least with COP you could change it some point in the past and use it as a museum or just look how far we came in the first part of the century.

Its hard to predict the future so you need something that timeless and stays current for 10-15 yrs minimum hopefully longer when your spending millions and millions on an attraction. The only references to date in M:S are on plaques on the wall and they are at least 40 yrs into the future so showing outdated biotech is no good and whatever replaces WOL should have a more timeless quality.

disneyisbest

I believe there had to be something wrong with the Horizons building for them to tear it down and start over. As far as I can recall it is the only time that disney has decided to destroy a building when changing an attraction. All other attraction changes have happened using the same building.(Test Track, JII, Uof E, etc.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`d imagine looking at Horizons plans it would be pretty hard to fit something like M:S into the building; with the large clear areas required. Horizons was planned to be refitted twice, one keeping part of the ride, one removing the ride system and show scenes, but both ideas kept the structural integrity of the pavilion. If this was the case, it probably worked out cheaper to start again than to re engineer the original building. They got away with it next door at Test Track (though the ride system got it`s revenge!)

goldenstate5

Wait...whoa...they were actually going to PUT M:S into that old building?! I thought the plan always was to rebuild...hmm...intresting...

BTW, Marni...seeing as how WoL is closed, howzabout a Cranium Command tribute video, huh? ;)...

General Grizz

goldenstate5 said:
Wait...whoa...they were actually going to PUT M:S into that old building?! I thought the plan always was to rebuild...hmm...intresting...

BTW, Marni...seeing as how WoL is closed, howzabout a Cranium Command tribute video, huh? ;)...
They were gonna put something a ton BIGGER than MS in that building. . .

Care to explain, Marni? :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - I should have made it clear; the original Journeys in Space was planned to go into the Horizons show building. Versions of this reused Horizons Omnimax screens, and/or part of the ride system for a zero-g spacewalk simulation. The centrifuge idea came along later and was to play just the start (almost preshow) of the entire pavilion, which as well as the Zero G attraction would feature simulators and hands on exhibits. Things changes, costs soared, and all that was left was the centrifuge, which as it developed required it`s own building / had no need for the Horizons building, hence Journeys in Space became Mission:Space. In a nutshell.

Have a nice trip Grizz? :wave: (assuming you`ve been)

zap69

Original Poster
Wonders of Life/ Horizons Closings UPDATE

WOL will be open for this holiday schedule only. (Nov '05 -Jan '06) I strongly suggest that if u dont want to see this building be torn down that you all cram into that building since it is supposed to go down next year for "a major rehab" and i think you all know what that means. Afterall EPCOT has "new" attractions starting for its 25th anniversiry party! Now the question is where will they be putting the new stuff and what does Disney mean by major rehab?

goldenstate5

^^You hear that folks? Get your annual passports and video cameras in line and move it, move it, MOVE IT!!

Your mission: To film every single gosh darn thing left in that pavillion. Yes that includes "The Making of Me"! Film Cranium Command multi-angle! Fly your camera around the place and use every single last piece of tape. We got an archive to produce! After all, who wants to scour the internet for rare footage when we can just film it all then?

Who's with me?...(oh, well, since I live all the way here in Vegas, I guess I have no say...but...please?)...

jedimaster1227

I would be thankful if we could get shots but I think it would not be easy unless you sat in the second row and held you camera in between the heads of the people in front of you without letting the CM's see it and kick you out of the park.

wdwishes2005

goldenstate5 said:
^^You hear that folks? Get your annual passports and video cameras in line and move it, move it, MOVE IT!!

Your mission: To film every single gosh darn thing left in that pavillion. Yes that includes "The Making of Me"! Film Cranium Command multi-angle! Fly your camera around the place and use every single last piece of tape. We got an archive to produce! After all, who wants to scour the internet for rare footage when we can just film it all then?

Who's with me?...(oh, well, since I live all the way here in Vegas, I guess I have no say...but...please?)...
go go go go!!!

dolbyman

I have progressive widescreen footage from march 2005 .. so if there is someone makin a tribute (marni ? *wink*) I'll be glad to donate it

ogryn

General Grizz made a multi-angle tribute video a while ago. Don't know if it's still online anywhere though?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom