PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
CoffeeJedi said:
Out with the old!
In with the new!
Get sick and die?
We'll REPLACE YOU TOO!

think the sharp-pencil boys have this poem on little plaques sitting on their desks?

You mean?
p6.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
jedimaster1227 said:
The Horizons building was destroyed due to two large sinkholes that formed under the building

The Horizons building was destroyed by great big buldozers and a winch and pully system :lol:

-can`t believe I`m laughing at this...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
jedimaster1227 said:
The Horizons building was destroyed due to two large sinkholes that formed under the building. Would you like to be in there when it imploded?
The Horizons building was not destroyed due to sink holes. Sink holes occur when the limestone base that Florida sits on erodes away and the surface in most case suddenly collapses. If this had happened there is a good chance that the building would have completely or at least partially collapsed and we know that did not happen until the bulldozers showed up. What happened with the horizons building, assuming that the structural problems did occur, was the building slowly began to sink due to the soil compressing underneath it. This is not that uncommon in structures built on reclaimed wetlands. What happens in simple terms is that all the dead vegetation in the soil begins to decay and takes up less room. If there is a large amount of weight on top of this soil it will begin to compress. It is not uncommon for houses to sink several inches during their life but when it happens to a much larger building the effect can be greatly magnified. Also another common occurrence with larger buildings is one part sinking and the other not. This will cause the building to break apart. The most common way I have seen to avoid this sinking in smaller structures is to excavate the biological material out and replace it with a solid substrate such as dirt rock etc. For larger structures friction piles are driven into the ground and the foundation is supported by them.

It is not far from the realm of possibility that WOL might be having the same structural problems. If this is the case it would be in WDW best interest to demolish the building and rebuild like the did with M:S.

disneyisbest

I believe it was said here that they were using water displacement to fill in the holes at the time. I believe I have heard the same thing about the Energy Pavillion yet they still seem to want to keep it intact.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There are compelling arguments for and against Horizons and sinkholes. One thing that keeps bugging me about Horizons sinking is even if the land was `fixed` would Disney really build an attraction that spins 160 paying guests at silly RPMs` on land that could cause the building to tip over time?

It`s well known Horizons was being looked at being replaced in the late 80`s, and the building being pulled down for tax reasons in the mid 90`s. There again, there was the CM walkthru that was cancelled at the last minute for unknown safety reasons. And there yet again Horizons was re opened when Test Tracks R&D nightmare overran... the arguments for and against go on and on...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
marni1971 said:
There are compelling arguments for and against Horizons and sinkholes. One thing that keeps bugging me about Horizons sinking is even if the land was `fixed` would Disney really build an attraction that spins 160 paying guests at silly RPMs` on land that could cause the building to tip over time?

It`s well known Horizons was being looked at being replaced in the late 80`s, and the building being pulled down for tax reasons in the mid 90`s. There again, there was the CM walkthru that was cancelled at the last minute for unknown safety reasons. And there yet again Horizons was re opened when Test Tracks R&D nightmare overran... the arguments for and against go on and on...
We will probably never know for sure what "really" transpired. More than likely nearly all the factors that have been discussed (sinking, taxes, repair cost etc) added up to knock it down and start again. I fear the same equation is playing out for WOL.

jedimaster1227

Master Yoda said:
The Horizons building was not destroyed due to sink holes. Sink holes occur when the limestone base that Florida sits on erodes away and the surface in most case suddenly collapses. If this had happened there is a good chance that the building would have completely or at least partially collapsed and we know that did not happen until the bulldozers showed up. What happened with the horizons building, assuming that the structural problems did occur, was the building slowly began to sink due to the soil compressing underneath it. This is not that uncommon in structures built on reclaimed wetlands. What happens in simple terms is that all the dead vegetation in the soil begins to decay and takes up less room. If there is a large amount of weight on top of this soil it will begin to compress. It is not uncommon for houses to sink several inches during their life but when it happens to a much larger building the effect can be greatly magnified. Also another common occurrence with larger buildings is one part sinking and the other not. This will cause the building to break apart. The most common way I have seen to avoid this sinking in smaller structures is to excavate the biological material out and replace it with a solid substrate such as dirt rock etc. For larger structures friction piles are driven into the ground and the foundation is supported by them.

It is not far from the realm of possibility that WOL might be having the same structural problems. If this is the case it would be in WDW best interest to demolish the building and rebuild like the did with M:S.

I.E. Sinkholes, learn about them and Florida, its a common thing here! Yeah!

WDWCP

Sometimes they get rid of older attractions in favor of new ones just because new attractions bring new guests and encourage the repeat visit from the guest that thought they'd go only one time. Fixing an older attraction will help with the revisit of previous guests, but won't help so much to attract the new first time guest. If the attraction hasn't brought them in, fixing it up so it is still the same, but a little better isn't likely to bring them to the parks either.

Maybe there is nothing but a cost analysis going on here where they feel the attraction costs too much to operate vs. it's ability to generate revenue by bringing guests to the park... Sometimes it's just that simple...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
jedimaster1227 said:
I.E. Sinkholes, learn about them and Florida, its a common thing here! Yeah!
I live in Florida and I'm a structural engineer. Believe me there is a difference between soil compression and a sink hole.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
jedimaster1227 said:
Building...Sinking... One Giant Hole... Definition to Sinkhole
Whatever you say. Make sure you have fun at Disneyland in Orlando riding The Hulk. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

KumbaRider

From what I understand, Horizons closed not so much from structural "damage", but more so due to safety concerns. I was told new safety and fire hazard regulations were implemented in the mid 90s requiring them to load/unload in an unusual manner. The result was a huge hassle, slower queue movement and complaints. They had to exit in the fire escape or something like that. It would be interesting to see the "official" real reason though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom