Wonders of Life, Cranium Command, Body Wars NO LONGER LISTED on DisneyWorld.com

tirian

I noticed a few people complaining about Epcot's "thrill" rides, and thought that you might all enjoy a humorous observation I made.

My brothers, both teenagers, recently visited WDW for the first time EVER. Their favorite parks were the Magic Kingdom (of course) and Epcot. Although they enjoyed some of the attractions at the Disney-MGM Studios, my brothers hated the park itself. (And yes, they liked Animal Kingdom for the entire half a day they were in it. :) )

Anyway, at Epcot, TT didn't impress my brothers too much; they expected more than a car ride with one fabulous curve. They didn't bother with M:S because they didn't want to be sick for supper. They had fun at UoE, Seas, and other attractions. They loved World Showcase...

...but my teenage brothers' favorite attractions at Epcot were Soarin' and--wait for it--Spaceship Earth.

That's simply once incident that proves that Epcot's old-style presentation of animatronics and omnimovers ISN'T dead. WDI doesn't need to create extremely thrilling attractions to impress Guests; they DO need to lavish attention and quality on everything they do. My 17-year-old brother loved SSE simply because of the attraction's detail.

EDIT: That said, I enjoy Test Track; but the end really doesn't thrill me all that much, either. Furthermore, I wouldn't mind if WDI installed a coaster somewhere in Epcot...IF it were a completely new attraction and did not replace a pre-existing one. For example, Tokyo Disneyseas's Raging Spirits would have been a nice addition to the Japan pavilion.

JeffH

Future World suggestions...

WoL could be just a popular as the Land has always been with a few changes. People have always congregated at the Land to get away from the sun, the walking, to relax, to enjoy several attractions at one air conditioned site, to have a meal or a snack. In the afternoons, the Land would be packed and the boat ride typically had an hour or more wait. Now with Soarin' it's REALLY packed. One day we spent most of the day there (10a-4p), riding Soarin', dining with Mickey, boat ride, movie and riding Soarin'.
Body Wars goes nowhere, and where it does go is gross and pretty unexciting and uninviting for a simulator (and teaches you hardly anything for the trip). This needs to be changed into a Soarin' type Wonders of Life (no longer health) all-purpose shuttle trip. Lift off from Epcot/WDW, enter an exciting short hyperdrive to various life experiences (all separated by hyperdrive interconnects) like flying through the Great Smoky Mountains (forest life) landing/floating down a large gentle river, which suddenly falls down a waterfall (emergency hyperdrive) to somewhere deep in the Pacific Ocean (sea life) where you "flyby" an underwater volcano ending with a hyperdrive just before being eaten by a monster sized shark or hit by a giant ejected rock from the volcano (to be more realistic)...others, then ending with a quick approach to a launching REAL shuttle and flying up alongside it for a few quick seconds, a hyperdrive to the space-station for a realistic flyby (space-life), ending with a hyperdrive to the moon flying over a landing site...where the pilot turns to the "crew" to boast about the trip, spilling his drink into the hyperdrive computer, sending us to some strange place somewhere until he figures out how to reverse the hyperdrive and get us back home...
Then move the Making of Me to a outside enclosed theatre...who was so stupid to build a building INSIDE a building, what a waste of valuable interior space.
Add a modern food court (ala the new Land) and attractive comfortable eating areas...maybe a 2 tier dining area in the middle of the pavilion.
Add some new hands-on audio and visual effects.

Imagination can be "saved" by simply filling in ALL the blank space between the "stops" on the ride with some imagination stimulating things/effects from the old ride...and letting us back upstairs (instead of letting it go to waste), perhaps converting it into a big snack lounge (with weird imaginatative chairs) with a few interesting table games/displays here and there.

And the dinosaur restaurant is a great suggestion...my daughter loves UoE and RCafe...I'm sure she'd love a Dinosaur Cafe!!!

CaptainMichael

tirian said:
IThey didn't bother with M:S because they didn't want to be sick for supper (spoken like true teenagers).

Like teenagers with their priorities out of wack. I can eat at home, but no matter how much I might want to, I cannot ride Mission: Space at home. I have three must dos at Epcot: Mission: Space, Spaceship Earth, and Soarin' (Illuminations also). As long as you don't eat right before you ride, there shouldn't be a problem. Just put you head back and look straight forward.

And yes, I am a teenager. Disney first, food and sleep second. :lol: Where the hungry teenager stereotype come from, I don't know anyone like that.

CThaddeus

I'm not getting all this complaining about it being dated. Think about this: right now the big fad in fashion and decorating seems to be the hideous '70s. I don't know why, and frankly I'll be glad when it ends. But since these things seem to repeat, my guess is that in 10 years the '80s will be back, and suddenly everyone will be thinking just how ahead of their time Disney was in the '90s and '00s. Right now, it's Future World! Problem solved. Open it back up again.

General Grizz

Original Poster
stitch82 said:
has attendance always been low at this pavillion? or is the majority just not interested?
As speck said, it USED to be high. But for most of last year, Wonders of Life had more attendance than the UoE and Imagination.

Sergeant Tibbs

CThaddeus said:
I'm saddened by how many seem to have such hatred for this pavilion. Cranium Command alone makes this pavilion worth having. Add to it "The Making of Me," which I think is a great movie about where we come from; "Goofy About Health," an entertaining Goofy show; numerous interactive displays; and yes, even Body Wars. If they really need to do something with it, why not just update it a bit? I can't stand losing all these great EPCOT attractions. I truly believe this Park once rivaled Disneyland for great attractions. Now, I feel as if they're abandoning it to E-Ticket rides (Test Track...ick). Why must something die so that some thrill ride can take its place? Add to the Park, plus it, don't keep replacing everything.
Test Track is not a thrill ride...i meanits closer to a dark ride than a thrill ride. I dont see how you can complain... it is very well themed.

Miss Bell

I, for one, will miss Wonders of Life, if it goes for good. I have really happy memories of it. When my daughter was little, she really loved Cranium Command. And, as a middle school teacher, I find it hilarious!

CoffeeJedi

CThaddeus said:
I'm not getting all this complaining about it being dated. Think about this: right now the big fad in fashion and decorating seems to be the hideous '70s. I don't know why, and frankly I'll be glad when it ends. But since these things seem to repeat, my guess is that in 10 years the '80s will be back, and suddenly everyone will be thinking just how ahead of their time Disney was in the '90s and '00s. Right now, it's Future World! Problem solved. Open it back up again.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BEST POST EVER!

ya gotta love the BodyWars Captain's "Michael Jackson" style black and red vinyl jacket! radical dude!

disneyfamily

Sergeant Tibbs said:
Test Track is not a thrill ride...i meanits closer to a dark ride than a thrill ride. I dont see how you can complain... it is very well themed.

I contend that any ride that can go 65mph is thrilling. Imagine Winnie the Pooh at 60+ mph.

Sergeant Tibbs

SpenceMan01 said:
LOL. When we were there in Jan. we couldn't really find anything we wanted to eat in FW (Land was still closed), so we ended up getting a pretzel near Innoventions East!

A dinosaur themed TS restaurant ala Rainforest Cafe at the Universe of Energy? Little boys would really enjoy it. Which is a segment that's kind of been left in the dust with all the princess buffets for the little girls.
Thats why you go to the world showcase :animwink:

Sergeant Tibbs

disneyfamily said:
I contend that any ride that can go 65mph is thrilling. Imagine Winnie the Pooh at 60+ mph.
id be pretty sweet, thats what it would be:animwink: ... what i meant was the only really thing that happens on Test Track is u get some wind through your hair. I love TT though.

tirian

Like teenagers with their priorities out of wack. I can eat at home, but no matter how much I might want to, I cannot ride Mission: Space at home. I have three must dos at Epcot: Mission: Space, Spaceship Earth, and Soarin' (Illuminations also). As long as you don't eat right before you ride, there shouldn't be a problem. Just put you head back and look straight forward.

And yes, I am a teenager. Disney first, food and sleep second. :lol: Where the hungry teenager stereotype come from, I don't know anyone like that.
Considering that you don't know my brothers, you got pretty offended. Since you don't know all the events that happened that day (and since their only opportunity to ride M:S was right before supper), you can't declare their priorities to be "out of [whack]."

Incidentally, they loved Rock-n-Rollercoaster and ToT.

a ride? yes. a Car on a track? 65 mph ha, i do that every day.

Yeah, I've got to agree. It's odd; I really like TT, but the outdoor portion--while exciting--doesn't thrill me as much as BTMRR or Space Mountain, neither of which goes nearly as fast as TT. I think you're right: simply being in a car with a regular seatbelt makes the curve a lot different from launching about the same speed on RnR.

disneyfamily

wdwishes2005 said:
dont get me wrong, i love TT but to me it isnt a thrill ride.

I guess "thrill" is a relative term. To my 6yr old. TT is the ultimate thrill, ( he's too scared to ride any of the rollercoasters and I won't let him on M:S). I also think familiarity breeds contempt. The first few times I rode RnR, I thought it was incredible, but now it seems far too short and not that thrilling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom