News Wonderful World of Animation nighttime show coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

JohnD

It does come across better in person. I was surprised how much I liked it, after just about hating it when I watched a video of it (I still think it's lacking in parts and could have been a little better; I liked some segments). It's worth a see to judge for yourself. Those looking for a fireworks show, which I think is what most want to say when they complain, will be disappointed no matter what.

Actually, when compared to Disney Movie Magic, I was expecting just projections. So the additional pyro plusswd this show for me. As a pre show to SW:AGS it’s not supposed to out do the main event anyway.

JohnD

OK.

Personally, some of the criticism is valid.

You think the show is perfect and well done? I liked it seeing it in person but even I think it could have been done better. It's not awful and folks criticizing it likely haven't seen it in person. Still, relax. It's honestly not that deep or serious. It's just a projection show.

I never said it was perfect. Just taking issue with someone complaining about random clips. That’s what this show is.

Kman101

I never said it was perfect. Just taking issue with someone complaining about random clips. That’s what this show is.

Understood. I agree. That's all it is. Folks should set their expectations accordingly.

I don't get the hate for projections, truthfully (and I think some just gripe because they feel justified as others share their dislike, some seem to think they're superior in their opinion because they experienced the park at a different point in time). Sometimes however I do miss the simple days of just fireworks. But I like projections. I think they make good use of the space for the projections on this show, personally. It has a lot of potential. Overdone? Maybe. But I like the visuals, as much as there's sometimes too much going on to catch everything.

JohnD

Understood. I agree. That's all it is. Folks should set their expectations accordingly.

I don't get the hate for projections, truthfully (and I think some just gripe because they feel justified as others share their dislike, some seem to think they're superior in their opinion because they experienced the park at a different point in time). Sometimes however I do miss the simple days of just fireworks. But I like projections. I think they make good use of the space for the projections on this show, personally. It has a lot of potential. Overdone? Maybe. But I like the visuals, as much as there's sometimes too much going on to catch everything.

Valid criticisms are not a rounded out soundtrack and not as cohesive as it could be. But overall a good show. If given a letter grade, I would give it a B.

Kman101

Valid criticisms are not a rounded out soundtrack and not as cohesive as it could be. But overall a good show. If given a letter grade, I would give it a B.

I think you're missing I'm actually agreeing with you ;) I get the point you're making :)

yoda_5729

I just watched the show, and though I think the imaging looks quite clear, and that the beginning with the Chinese Theater bits were cool as well as the Mickey parts, I didn't get much emotional reaction to it. Usually you end on a high note muscially, which I wouldn't have picked Wreck-It Ralph as the final song choice before the Mickey part. Even if you were wanting a modern movie. Don't get me wrong, I like Wreck-It Ralph, but it wasn't the payoff I was expecting. At least they did include most if not all of the animated movies though, that's at least nice.

Kman101

It really did feel like certain segments were just shoved in, like Snow White's random segment, and just random clips over songs. I liked the Sleeping Beauty segment a lot. The Sorceror Mickey beginning and then the ending. It has potential but it's certainly lacking. But at the end of the day, it was meant to be what it is, a clip fest highlighting 90 years of animation. I wish it had a cohesive storyline and a soundtrack (I thought it was clever using Sorceror Mickey to conjure up the clips in the start, but it all sort of falls apart, but there are some nice stand alone segments, IMHO, it just all doesn't quite come together)

ObscurityPoint

No idea what possessed them to pick "Shiny" as the basis of a Villain sequence, but the Yzma and Emperor's New Groove bit they shoved into the middle of that is appreciated.
I’m okay with it when I realized that they were only doing really obscure C-list villains for the whole segment. I mean no popular, well known villains (Maleficent, Chernabog, Jafar, Ursula, the Queen) showed up. Guess they’re saved for F! I was kind of hoping Ratigan or Horned King or someone would make an appearance

ObscurityPoint

So I liked this whole show, ESPECIALLY that intro. Totally awesome. But...the Mickey at the end..am i crazy or was his voice sounding a little weird in the video? He sounded more like the corporate boss Mickey Mouse from South Park than actual Mickey.

Creathir

Did you see it in person? I had a complete opposite reaction seeing it in person. Again, it has flaws for sure.

It's simply a clip fest celebrating 90 years of animation, bookened by Mickey. It's not that deep :)
No, and maybe that's the difference.
Usually when I watch the videos posted after a new show comes out I get excited about it, etc.
This I could barely watch.

I'm sure in person its much more interesting.

Magenta Panther

Here is the show from May 1.

What a...mess.

Not that it doesn't have its moments. Its good, 2D-animated moments.

Best one was at the end, with Walt and Mickey. That gave me chills. But the show is still an appallingly slap-dash affair that makes no real sense and has no story continuity. And makes terrible choices and lacks taste. But oh well. I mean, that's all you can say, right? Oh well. Sigh.

Kman101

No, and maybe that's the difference.
Usually when I watch the videos posted after a new show comes out I get excited about it, etc.
This I could barely watch.

I'm sure in person its much more interesting.

I felt the same way when I watched a video of, the exact same way (I can watch HEA and others on repeat and it never gets tiresome ...) It's more enjoyable in person but at the same time, the flaws still exist. I guess just being in the crowd and hearing the music more clearly, seeing the segments projected ... it was better in person. It's not magically amazing, lol, but I think it translates better in person. Again, it still has flaws: random segments mixed in with others, lack of cohesive story, etc. but I found myself smiling and enjoying a lot of it more than I expected. I thought they made great use of the space they had to project (I thought The Incredibles and Sleeping Beauty really stand out), it comes together a bit better seeing it play out in front of you.

Sorry if I came off as snarky in the post earlier, wasn't trying to be but I can see it probably came off that way :/ I was just kind of shocked how much more I liked it in person but then watching a video of it after seeing in person I had the same "I'm bored" expression I got watching it the first time on video. So strange ... lol

I also guess some of it is how you perceive projection mapping. I don't hate it. I think it's become overused (it's their new toy so to speak, it will wear off eventually) so I guess it just depends on how someone decides to judge it based on maybe disliking projection mapping. I think they do sometimes make good use of it. They're just overdoing it.

I was watching a Mickey Views video on youtube today and Brayden sums it up fairly well in thinking that all four parks having the same IP showcase will instead cause guests to not want to see all of them after a while (he explained it better but I'm terrible at remembering word for word), and I tend to agree. It's all going to start blending together. Short-term, I absolutely get their goal. But it's not smart long-term. But we know they only care about short-term gain (so much of it's about marketing anymore ...) Anyway ... a bit of a side rant and slightly off topic ... just an interesting thought and it's true, they'll all start to blend together. All four parks will have IP showcases. And HS has two hodgepodge IP showcases ... it's going to be overkill when you add in Epcot and AK as much as some "want characters" ... Brayden really summed it up well for me and I need to recap what he said better and I wish more folks would get what we're all trying to say about having unique things ...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The problem with DHS Night Projection Shows:

1. Bad surfaces. The Chinese Theater and the big gaps between it and the other 'screens' and the palm trees aren't that good for a projection show to begin with.​
2. Bad viewing area. The viewing are in the 'hub' of DHS is limited. Many places have line of sight issues with local trees, buildings, Min&Bills, etc...​
3. No more fireworks. Without the big fireworks and relying only on the small ones from the roof tops, then, well, the projection has to carry the show, which leads to...​
4. Clip shows are poor shows. Sure, they tug at the nostalgia, and it's fun to see our favorites. But, no one really likes a TV series when they do a 'clip show', it's just a cheap money-pinching device to excuse the producers from coming up with a real show that tells a real story that costs money to produce. The clip show at HEA can be excused because of the fireworks and it tends to linger a little bit longer at some story elements. But, there are no fireworks here to save the DHS clip shows.​

So, this applies not only to the animation show, but the live action clip show, and the Star Wars clip show. To me, it is very underwhelming.

But what do I know, I'm just a pixie duster.

Magenta Panther

The problem with DHS Night Projection Shows:

1. Bad surfaces. The Chinese Theater and the big gaps between it and the other 'screens' and the palm trees aren't that good for a projection show to begin with.​
2. Bad viewing area. The viewing are in the 'hub' of DHS is limited. Many places have line of sight issues with local trees, buildings, Min&Bills, etc...​
3. No more fireworks. Without the big fireworks and relying only on the small ones from the roof tops, then, well, the projection has to carry the show, which leads to...​
4. Clip shows are poor shows. Sure, they tug at the nostalgia, and it's fun to see our favorites. But, no one really likes a TV series when they do a 'clip show', it's just a cheap money-pinching device to excuse the producers from coming up with a real show that tells a real story that costs money to produce. The clip show at HEA can be excused because of the fireworks and it tends to linger a little bit longer at some story elements. But, there are no fireworks here to save the DHS clip shows.​

So, this applies not only to the animation show, but the live action clip show, and the Star Wars clip show. To me, it is very underwhelming.

But what do I know, I'm just a pixie duster.

FWIW, I love the Happily Ever After show. It has a story to tell, and uses clips and new animation and effects to very good purpose and a great result. The Animation show falls very short compared to it. It's mostly just a bunch of clips slapped together in no coherent order with Mickey bookending the mess. It also doesn't really go into animation as an art - just animation as marketing (the Toy Story 4 commercial inserted into it for example). Very disappointing. If it weren't for the great ending with Walt's voice and the new Mickey animation (not a bad portrayal of the "new" Mickey), it'd be worthless IMO. Again, oh well. Sigh. Oh well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom