News Wonderful World of Animation nighttime show coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

ImperfectPixie

Agreed. I think Disney relies too much on Sorcerer Mickey too often as well. I would have preferred an animation chronology to not only honor the classics, but to showcase the advancements and history of Disney animation.
I haven't even watched the show video yet, but I definitely agree with you about Sorcerer Mickey. It seems like they used to save him for super special occasions, but now he's just become another marketing tool that they throw at things to try to tweak our nostalgia nerves.

mm52200

I haven't even watched the show video yet, but I definitely agree with you about Sorcerer Mickey. It seems like they used to save him for super special occasions, but now he's just become another marketing tool that they throw at things to try to tweak our nostalgia nerves.
Where is he used so much??? Like I genuinely want to know? He seems pretty exclusive to Studios, you can meet him and see him in Fant and now makes a short appearance in this show.

ImperfectPixie

Where is he used so much??? Like I genuinely want to know? He seems pretty exclusive to Studios, you can meet him and see him in Fant and now makes a short appearance in this show.
It's really just my opinion/perception...our last trip there was Sorcerer Mickey merchandise pretty much all over the parks (we bought a hat in MK), I see lots of merchandise when I shop the online store, I'm pretty sure there are clips of him before at least some of the movies we own on DVD/blu ray, there was the hat in HS (thankfully gone)...plus, as you mentioned, Fantasmic! and the meet & greet...

It just feels like for a long time finding anything involving Sorcerer Mickey was sort of a rarity, and now he's easy to find if you just pay attention, and that takes away some of the "special" feel.

surfsupdon

I always have preferred firework spectaculars over projection shows. One of the reasons why Fantasmic bored me even when it first premiered.

The grand finale of this show, along with the little bit of fireworks, reminds me how gorgeous fireworks were at the Studios behind the Chinese Theater. I’m not talking the current Star Wars show, but rather Sorcery in the Sky and the more recent Frozen and (original) Star Wars fireworks. They lit up the studios in beautiful fashion.

Kman101

I always have preferred firework spectaculars over projection shows. One of the reasons why Fantasmic bored me even when it first premiered.

The grand finale of this show, along with the little bit of fireworks, reminds me how gorgeous fireworks were at the Studios behind the Chinese Theater. I’m not talking the current Star Wars show, but rather Sorcery in the Sky and the more recent Frozen and (original) Star Wars fireworks. They lit up the studios in beautiful fashion.

I really enjoyed the fireworks at Studios as well! The more recent Frozen and original Star Wars Fireworks were really well done and enjoyable.

disnyfan89

While I haven't seen the show in person, I was pretty underwhelmed from the video. It just seems to lack any heart for me. I was really hoping for a more nostalgic take on the Disney animation history that almost tells the story and advancements of Animation rather than a generic clip show based off of categories of Hero, Villain, Friendship, Romance... etc. The music I was especially let down by as there was some odd choices made ("Shiny" is the pinnacle song for Villains?). It seemed to me a larger focus on early Mickey and Silly Symphony cartoons could have been made and then an explosion into the full length animated features leading up to a segment featuring the new Mickey Mouse / Walt Tribute. I'm also not sure I would have included Pixar into the show choosing to focus on Walt Disney Animation specifically, or given Pixar a segment as part of the Animation Family.

acr123

I rarely comment.....but after watching the video I couldn't help but express how disappointed I am with this show. I agree with those who feel this was a good concept gone very wrong. It starts out hopeful with the Mickey premier segment....goes down hill shortly after....gets better with the Sleeping Beauty segment....then goes hastily downhill again shortly after. There is no "beauty" or worthy celebration of animation in this show; it's just a jumbled mess of clips backed with carelessly chosen accompaniment that at times just comes off as NOISY.

Wish they would have just spent the $$ they used on this show to make upgrades to FANTASMIC.

Kman101

I rarely comment.....but after watching the video I couldn't help but express how disappointed I am with this show. I agree with those who feel this was a good concept gone very wrong. It starts out hopeful with the Mickey premier segment....goes down hill shortly after....gets better with the Sleeping Beauty segment....then goes hastily downhill again shortly after. There is no "beauty" or worthy celebration of animation in this show; it's just a jumbled mess of clips backed with carelessly chosen accompaniment that at times just comes off as NOISY.

Wish they would have just spent the $$ they used on this show to make upgrades to FANTASMIC.

One of the strangest parts is when Snow White is randomly dropped in the middle of the Owl City/Ralph section and then it goes back to that and wraps up the segment.

It's kind of messy in a lot of places. Just could have been better done. It had potential ...

No Name

The problem with DHS Night Projection Shows:

1. Bad surfaces. The Chinese Theater and the big gaps between it and the other 'screens' and the palm trees aren't that good for a projection show to begin with.​
2. Bad viewing area. The viewing are in the 'hub' of DHS is limited. Many places have line of sight issues with local trees, buildings, Min&Bills, etc...​
3. No more fireworks. Without the big fireworks and relying only on the small ones from the roof tops, then, well, the projection has to carry the show, which leads to...​
4. Clip shows are poor shows. Sure, they tug at the nostalgia, and it's fun to see our favorites. But, no one really likes a TV series when they do a 'clip show', it's just a cheap money-pinching device to excuse the producers from coming up with a real show that tells a real story that costs money to produce. The clip show at HEA can be excused because of the fireworks and it tends to linger a little bit longer at some story elements. But, there are no fireworks here to save the DHS clip shows.​

So, this applies not only to the animation show, but the live action clip show, and the Star Wars clip show. To me, it is very underwhelming.

But what do I know, I'm just a pixie duster.

Well said, especially point 4.

But I excuse HEA because it is leagues stronger in theme. The intro takes a good turn from past bogus like We'll make a wish and do as dreamers do, and all our wishes will come true and Like a bolt out of the blue, fate steps in and sees you through. I know I just offended some Wishes fans and quite frankly I don't give a care, that's not even remotely how it works and it's actually uninspiring. Happily Ever After's narration is refreshing and inspiring, because it challenges us to stop wishing and start doing. The meat and potatoes of the show is a clip show, but the clips each connect to a sub-theme in their respective sections of the show, giving them purpose. I wish someone had written a long post 103 weeks ago that I could conveniently link here...

The problem with this Wonderful World of Animation show is that it's just random clips. There's no rhyme or reason to it. It lacks everything that makes HEA strong. I struggled to get through the video. It's just not good.

Dunston

I want to see this when I go in 2 weeks, but I don't think I will be able to. With Fantasmic! at 9:00, Wonderful World of Disney Animation at 9:05, and Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular at 9:30, how is one supposed to see Fantasmic! without missing one or both of the other nighttime shows? This will be my girlfriend's first time in Hollywood Studios, so I'd rather we see Fantasmic! for her first time, but it's a bummer that you can't avoid missing this new show if you see the other.

jrhwdw

I want to see this when I go in 2 weeks, but I don't think I will be able to. With Fantasmic! at 9:00, Wonderful World of Disney Animation at 9:05, and Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular at 9:30, how is one supposed to see Fantasmic! without missing one or both of the other nighttime shows? This will be my girlfriend's first time in Hollywood Studios, so I'd rather we see Fantasmic! for her first time, but it's a bummer that you can't avoid missing this new show if you see the other.
DHS needs longer hours!!!!! I don't get why everything needs to be done in the same half hour?????

SWW/In The Stars, sometimes SWAGS and Frozen were 15-30 mins after F! Sometimes Frozen started at 9:30, but there was a little action on the stage before the fireworks started.

AndyS2992

This has been an issue for a long time. My last visit was 2015 and Fantasmic and the Frozen fireworks overlapped so you'd have to leave during the Fantasmic finale and then run to catch the start of the fireworks which at that point the streets were already packed with hundreds more who stayed for the whole Fantasmic show about to descend shortly after, it was a mess. Poor scheduling on Disney's part plus the area isn't big enough to accommodate the crowds comfortably. So you really have to pick one or the other and come back another night for the other, if you have that luxury that is.

JohnD

That’s the point

Yep. Last week I was in Epcot on 4/29 and 4/30. I hopped to HS the evening of 4/30 to see Fantasmic, even scored a $39 dessert party. I was in HS all day 5/1 for 30th anniversary and stayed through Animation show then left.

BTW, watching it on video doesn’t do it justice. It’s better in person. There are valid criticisms but it is a pre show after all. It’s never meant to be the highlight of the night. That’s reserved for SWAGS.

jrhwdw

Forgive me if this has been discussed somewhere on here before. Is there more room in the F! area for more pyro? Even high pyro? DHS could do like DL and put the SWAGS' projections on F! Mountain so people could view SWAGS from 2 locations in DHS? If the F! area could handle high pyro, it would certainly make SWAGS bwtter

Kman101

Yep. Last week I was in Epcot on 4/29 and 4/30. I hopped to HS the evening of 4/30 to see Fantasmic, even scored a $39 dessert party. I was in HS all day 5/1 for 30th anniversary and stayed through Animation show then left.

BTW, watching it on video doesn’t do it justice. It’s better in person. There are valid criticisms but it is a pre show after all. It’s never meant to be the highlight of the night. That’s reserved for SWAGS.

Agreed it's better in person. Personally I think Disney Movie Magic did the clip show thing better. I think folks just wanted a bit more from this. Not that it has to be an amazing spectacle with fireworks (though that too would be nice, lol) ... it definitely has it's issues. I liked lots of it, some of it didn't flow great. It has potential but it's a bit all over the place.

rsm

I think its interesting how HS started out as the park for all the stuff that doesn't fit the classic Disney characters profile and is slowly transforming into the most Mickey-centric park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom