Woman hurt in boat accident in WDW 4/27/2010

Lucky

I think WDW should just make you sign a 20-page waiver as soon as you cross the property line. Then at least they have a leg to stand on if someone sues them for not teaching their kid how to ride a bike near traffic, or if you don't understand how boats work, or if you're 70 years old and think ToT would be a safe experience for you.

This is getting old.
I got carpal tunnel syndrome from making ADRs on line. I don't know why the Orlando Sentinel hasn't covered the story yet. Meanwhile I'm looking for a good personal injury lawyer to sue Disney for a few million.

cr3346

The steering wheel is on the right side on the boats.

2502804337_4fac858343.jpg

Ahhh yes, thanks for the reply

hokielutz

I read the article but thought it was the other way around. Okay' my mistake this was the guests fault. I still stand by my feelings about TDO but yeah this was definitely guest negligence.

Thank you!!

I was about to rip on your previous statements again until I got to this point in the thread.

magic2me

I feel really bad for the women. She will have a long recovery and possible lasting injuries.

Whenever we have rented a boat they always tell us the smaller boat yields the right of way. How old was the driver?

epcot85

"He stated that he believed the ferry was going to move away for him and his wife"....

And the last time I walked into oncoming traffic I assumed the bus would move out of my way too....I hope that his wife is ok but that was a idiotic statement to make...:brick:

trr1

I feel really bad for the women. She will have a long recovery and possible lasting injuries.

Whenever we have rented a boat they always tell us the smaller boat yields the right of way. How old was the driver?
I think they are both 61

TheBeatles

i used to work at the marinas on bay lake and we ALWAYS said "every boat bigger than you has the right of way."

you'd be amazed at some of the things people would do in these boats.

TheBeatles

How fast can these personal watercraft travel, and are the engines governed to keep them under a certain speed?

Maybe a radio activated kill switch could be installed to kill the engine if you get within X number of feet of the ferries. That would help avoid these accidents in the future.

They can go about 10-15 mph. The engines are governed.

The only problem with a radio controlled kill switch is that you are rendered helpless if the engine turns off. The boat could still coast into something or someone else.

Polyman

i used to work at the marinas on bay lake and we ALWAYS said "every boat bigger than you has the right of way."

you'd be amazed at some of the things people would do in these boats.

I'm not amazed. I'm a Friendship Boat Captain. I've seen it all. I especially like the idiots who proceed full speed right past the huge RESTICTED ZONE sign into IG at Epcot, followed by the lake patrol with lights flashing and sirens wailing. Funny. Morons?.....Oh Yeah!! :hammer:

PhotoDave219

Yeah, any time we even get somewhere near the Samy Duvall zone or anywhere near the north side of Bay Lake, I've gotten the friendly wave from the Lake Patrols.

I know how far i can go.... i just want to get within camera range of the drydocks. :lookaroun

Phonedave

I'm surprised this type of thing doesn't happen more often with these Water Mice boats. They allow inexperienced people of nearly any age to boat around waterways that are active transportation routes (along side some REALLY BIG boats too). Seems like an accident waiting to happen every day!

I thought the same thing the last time I rented one. I was watching people get way to close to the Ferries out of the TTC.

I hope the boat rentals don't go away - I really enjoy them. But there is a lot of room for people to do stupid thing with them.

-dave

Phonedave

Yeah, any time we even get somewhere near the Samy Duvall zone or anywhere near the north side of Bay Lake, I've gotten the friendly wave from the Lake Patrols.

I know how far i can go.... i just want to get within camera range of the drydocks. :lookaroun

Why do I think that there is some provision in the rental agreement that says no picture taking?

-dave

Tom

Beta Return
I thought the same thing the last time I rented one. I was watching people get way to close to the Ferries out of the TTC.

I hope the boat rentals don't go away - I really enjoy them. But there is a lot of room for people to do stupid thing with them.

-dave

They won't. Just more disclaimers, signs, and waivers. And they'll probably beef up their policy on having the CMs brief you on boating rules and safe operation of the boat...at least doing so a bit better than they do now.

PurpleDragon

The husband's swerve in this instance doesn't apply to the portion of the statue you bolded... His swerve was a legitimate attempt to avoid collision. The statue you quoted is meant to be about people who would purposely drive at something/someone to scare them, and then veer away at the last minute, even if a collision doesn't happen. That act would be reckless driving under the statue. But simply turning to try and avoid an impending collision is not reckless.

-Rob

You can't be serious!?!!? Intent makes no difference whatsoever when it comes to this law. Driving close to another watercraft and swerving away at the last minute FOR ANY REASON is considered reckless. It shows lack of responsibility,failure to heed the right of way, and completely disregards the rules of watercraft operation. Boats do not work like cars, they have no brakes, a much slower steering reaction time, and larger turning radius. So operating a watercraft in anyway other than instructed, whether by accident or on purpose, is considered reckless.

yensid67

Ok, I hope the woman is alright, however it sounds like the woman's husband or whoever was driving what I am assuming is one of the small Sea Raycer boats was completely ignorant if they thought that one of the ferry's could maneuver better and quicker than he could. I mean who aims for a large object like this with the idea that "oh, he will move". People like this are why it won't be long before the rest of us can't enjoy renting a boat at WDW.

-Jeff

OK...I read the article and several posts so I understand what happened! BUT I cannot help but think is this a way to get money from a HUGE resort such as Disney!? On a scale of 1-10 of sounding fishy, it rates about 6 or 7 in my book.
Although, who would risk injury or even death just for some cash? I know its hard to even think that, but some people WOULD nowadays.
I'm not saying this was intentional, but I do sincerely hope that the woman injured will be OK. If I were her I would smack her husband when I got well enough to hurt him!
Then again in another thought, could this have been a suicide attempt that didn't happen? I know its sounds perposporous, but nowadays you just never know anymore whata some people are willing to do to themselves or others! What if the Ferry somehow just burst into flames or capsized with a full load? Then what would have happened!? Maybe they should make areas that are just for boats and ferries, this way nothing like this could happen!?

Disney sure has had some BAD LUCK over the past year! Things have got to only start looking UP!

Phonedave

They won't. Just more disclaimers, signs, and waivers. And they'll probably beef up their policy on having the CMs brief you on boating rules and safe operation of the boat...at least doing so a bit better than they do now.

That can't hurt. Last time I rented one (a Whaler) the CM said "OK, you know how to operate this, right?"

OK, so maybe I do, but still, not everyone does.

-dave

WDW Monorail

There must be something about not taking pictures because I was told not to hold a camera while I was traversing the water bridge by the Contemporary by one of the security CMs.

I think that the verbal guidelines given before renting a boat were sufficient enough for me, but I suppose written guidelines could be given as well for those who may not fully understand or remember. The SeaRaycer I rented last summer was the first time I have operated a watercraft. The intsructions given were fine and I used common sense to know what is acceptable and what is not out on the water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom