WL and AKL Deluxe Moderates??

PolyneisanAlex

I know there Deluxe resorts but for some reasson thoses are the only 2 that dont fully meant the expedations of a Deluxe resort anyone else agree?

EXCLUDING THE VILLAS

sbkline

I know there Deluxe resorts but for some reasson thoses are the only 2 that dont fully meant the expedations of a Deluxe resort anyone else agree?

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, but those are the two cheapest of all the deluxe resorts. So for that reason "Deluxe Moderate" may be an accurate term. Or, perhaps "moderate deluxe" would be even more accurate. LOL

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Nope, don't agree at all. They meet my expectations and we have stayed at the WL over 10 times now. They may be smaller and less expensive, but still meet the criteria of a Deluxe.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Ok lets say they were as much as the poly or grand would it be worth it?

The Poly and GF cost more because they are on the monorail. Take away the monorail and they do not offer any more than the AKL and WL, in my opinion. I think that the WL and AKL are two of the most beautiful resorts on property, and I think they have the best atmosphere and theming out of all of the deluxe resorts.

While the monorail is a huge perk, there is ALOT more to a deluxe resort than just transportation....which is why I do not agree with your initial post.

Upvote 0

krankenstein

Ok lets say they were as much as the poly or grand would it be worth it?

Yes it would! They both have great facilities, great restaurants, and great atmosphere. The themeing is second to none. On top of that, AKL offers one of the more unique experiences anywhere. I mean how many other hotels overlook an African savanna that guaranties you a glimpse at animals?

I really do not follow you at all! :shrug:

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

The Poly and GF cost more because they are on the monorail. Take away the monorail and they do not offer any more than the AKL and WL, in my opinion. I think that the WL and AKL are two of the most beautiful resorts on property, and I think they have the best atmosphere and theming out of all of the deluxe resorts.

While the monorail is a huge perk, there is ALOT more to a deluxe resort than just transportation....which is why I do not agree with your initial post.

I was just going to say the exact same thing. Put the WL on the monorail line, and let's see what the prices are then....

I also disagree with the original post, for the same reasons that happymom52003 stated above.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

All Resorts have a give and take associated with them. My views below, obviously:

In general, the Value Resorts are all similar. One minor separation is that Pop Century has some lake views. It'd be cool if they had a marina for boat rentals. But they all have pools w/o slides, small rooms, and one sink.

For the moderates, Caribbean Beach has the largest rooms and two pool slides, but has 7 bus stops and requires lots of walking. The trade off is that even though both Port Orleans have smaller rooms, they do have boat transportation to Downtown Disney, which is a perk just like larger rooms and dual slides is a perk at CBR. Coronado Springs only has one sink in the rooms (which is value style) but offers a weight room and a night spot. I think they just gotbigger beds, too.

For the deluxes, both the WL and AKL have incredible theming, probably two of the best and most immersive themes. But the rooms here are smallest of all deluxes (merely 4 sq ft larger than CBR), and also include small pools and basically bus transportation to all parks, except for WL where you can take a boat to MK---but AKL has animals (an attraction) to keep you busy.

The Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Contemporary are all upper end resorts with monorail service to MK and Epcot. Not all rooms at Poly have balconnies (which is ridiculous) but its theme is most immersive of the three and they have a great pool/slide but no hot tubs. Contemp is often viewed as 'sterile' (although it's looking better now) and GF carries a very high price tag which often negatively impacts the vacation by word ofmouth. ("Yeah it was nice, but so expensive we wouldn't stay there again" is heard on many forums.)

Yacht, Beach, and BoardWalk have fantastic pools, a great location, and great interior common places. But their transportation (when not walking) stinks. The busses circle 5 resorts and the boats are incredibly slow and usually are at capacity (meaning 10 people per dock are admitted per boat). The rooms are also smaller than the MK resorts.

So, YES, to answer the question I would consider the WL and AKL as a moderate deluxe. They clearly have cheaper prices and smaller rooms and weaker transportation if you hate busses, but their theming is incredible.

And like I said, it seems all Resorts within a category have their positives and negatives. There isn't one resort that has it all, in my opinion anyway.

Just my thoughts that my sister and I talked about on our last flight to Disney when we were bored but excited for the fun to start! Haha

Upvote 0

scorp111

For the deluxes, both the WL and AKL have incredible theming, probably two of the best and most immersive themes. But the rooms here are smallest of all deluxes (merely 4 sq ft larger than CBR), and also include small pools and basically bus transportation to all parks, except for WL where you can take a boat to MK---but AKL has animals (an attraction) to keep you busy.

I disagree with the thought that the main pool at either WL or AKL is "small" by anyones standard.

I have stayed at the Contemporary, WL, and AKL. My preference is WL, my wife's is AKL because of the animals.:shrug: To each their own.

Upvote 0

SchultzFamily

All Resorts have a give and take associated with them. My views below, obviously:

In general, the Value Resorts are all similar. One minor separation is that Pop Century has some lake views. It'd be cool if they had a marina for boat rentals. But they all have pools w/o slides, small rooms, and one sink.

For the moderates, Caribbean Beach has the largest rooms and two pool slides, but has 7 bus stops and requires lots of walking. The trade off is that even though both Port Orleans have smaller rooms, they do have boat transportation to Downtown Disney, which is a perk just like larger rooms and dual slides is a perk at CBR. Coronado Springs only has one sink in the rooms (which is value style) but offers a weight room and a night spot. I think they just gotbigger beds, too.
Yes, all rooms were converted to two queen beds (except the 100 rooms getting the new king beds); they are also getting new furniture, flat screen televisions, sliding doors between the bedroom and bathroom; a fitness center/spa and a new nightime lounge with a dj after 9 p.m.

Upvote 0

PolyneisanAlex

Original Poster
Well everyone has there own thoughts on things so no ones correct and no ones wrong

really my only two negatives is the AKL location
WL theming sorry if i want to see trees and lodges i can go on a 2 hour ride to Poconos Mountains. in Floridia I want to see palm trees and hammacks

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

To each their own.

That's exactly the point. To each their own--that's why Disney is awesome b/c they give so many options on property.

You just must sift through the information and find hat does work for you. What's the price. Then when you find your price, what can you live with or without? Do you get a smaller deluxe room but with awesome theming? Or go cheap with no slides or any frills?

Upvote 0

SchultzFamily

Well everyone has there own thoughts on things so no ones correct and no ones wrong

WL theming sorry if i want to see trees and lodges i can go on a 2 hour ride to Poconos Mountains. in Floridia I want to see palm trees and hammacks

I agree with you. The WL reminds me of a lodge I saw in Colorado at one point (and that reminds me of snow and I live in Chicago--don't want to be reminded of that). That is why we choose the CSR--nice southwest theme, palm trees out my window, etc., and the price is right.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I live in the woods not too far from the Poconos (about a 2 hour drive) and I go to the Gulf Coast for the Palm trees and hammocks (and beaches) and then head over to WDW to get a Disney fix.
I have stayed at the Contemporary, the Poly, the Boardwalk Inn and the WL and we always go back to the WL. It's our home away from home.
Others will say that about the Pop, the BC and just about any other hotel there. To each his own, that's the great thing about WDW...something for everyone. :cool:

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Well dont go to a resort themed as a Wilderness Lodge then. :shrug:

And I would have thought that a resort themed to an African savannah would require it to be set up close to an African Savannah.

Upvote 0

durangojim

The WL is definately a deluxe and we enjoy it just as much as the GF. The themeing is fantastic and the staff is great and attentive although things need to be to keep me satisfied (please make sure our room is cleaned before noon, as an example). At one time I would have rated the GF higher than the WL but unfortunately the GF has declined greatly over the past 10 years and is no where near as nice in terms of service and attention to detail as it used to be. To bay rack rates at the GF seem insane to me. I much prefer the BC to the GF in terms of amenities. None of the Disney deluxes hold a candle to a true deluxe five star resort such as the Four Seasons when it comes to service, so it will be interesting to see how they compete with some of the new non Disney owned deluxe resorts (Four Seasons, Waldorf). Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom