With The great movie ride gone what have we lost?

The Empress Lilly

Great thread. It would take a long essay, but I think many here share the sentiment that more than just a ride was lost. The GMR made this park, at least the front half. Somewhere in a park about classic Hollywood you need to be exposed to classic Hollywood. To the white Hollywood sign on the hill, to its love for showbiz, to Casablanca's encounter in the mist and Bogart's "Here's looking at you, kid".

They ripped out more than they thought they did, I think. The GMR had a meaning beyond its walls.

Even last year, I loved DHS so much. Never a half-day park for me, closer to a trip highlight instead. This month, I too finally had to surrender. I got in, did the four rides and a show, and left within a few hours. Something had been lost.

JIMINYCR

Weve lost a connection to some great actors and actresses. Its probably the only time a large section of the public would ever hear about a small portion of the great ones and the projects they undertook. Thankfully I've got a great collection of the old films and can revisit these gems anytime I want to. Its a major loss for everyone.

Randyland

A few years ago, when they were taking down the giant Mickey's Sorcerers Hat, a Cast Member from the Great Movie Ride expressed his relief to me, that at least Disney was NOT closing the Great Movie Ride, adding that this closing was ONLY prevented because Disney got Turner TMC to "sponsor" the Attraction.... This is much of the sad truth involving decisions made about Attraction/Ride/Show operation.... If Disney can acquire Corporate Sponsorship to pay towards the costs of operation of these Attractions/Rides/Shows, then they will continue to be there... If not? Then their fate is on the chopping block. Remember the Diamond Horseshoe Review; sponsored by first Pepsie Cola, and then Delmonte Ketchup??? Then no corporate sponsor, and then no more Diamond Horseshoe.... Easter Airlines, If You Had Wings, then became Delta Dream Flight... then it was just closed for several years.... The World of Motion, turned into Test Track ONLY because GM decided it wanted a "fast moving" attraction.... And remember the Land presented by Kraft Foods??? The Kitchen Kaberet went out along with Kraft... need I go on? Once the money from the Sponsor stops rolling in to support the Attractions/Rides/Shows, then anything goes.... I am forced to ponder the question, what happens if the "Sponsorship" of the GUESTS stops rolling in to support the Attractions/Rides/Shows ??? I fear pretty much the same thing will happen. When you get right down to it, there are not that many Attractions at the Disney Hollywood Studios park to begin with.... Disney took away the Back Lot Tour with Catastrophe Canyon leaving a big empty spot.... now the Great Movie Ride.... maybe they can add some more Frozen to suffer through, or more Star Wars Storm Troopers walking around carrying weapons, acting like Nazi's, demanding to see "papers" from Guests, in an intimidating manner, as part of "the take over" promoting Star Wars coming soon. One must wonder who makes these decisions, but in the end, we all still love to go to Disney, as the Magic still lives on... even if we have to sometimes look for it covered by the dust from the construction of change.

Last edited:

Mista C

Nothing, it was old and decaying. Had Disney refreshed it with new scenes and upgraded technology every five years or so then I could have gotten behind it but no. As I've said before, no one cared or talked about the Great Movie Ride until it was gone, which amuses me.

Here here! We lost nothing but an old, stale, tired ride. And yes, I know what it meant to many people. I myself probably rode it a hundred times during the 90's heyday. But that was over 20 years ago. And it did NOT hold up with the younger generation. I took my 9 year old daughter on it last year for her first time and she said that it was the worst ride in all of WDW. The Stank Movie Ride we called it, still to this day. Good riddance.

Cajun

I think Disney could keep and update such rides. Why not just expand the footprint of the current parks with new attractions and keep some of the others? That would ease some of the crowding in the parks, unless we see a fifth park one day!

BuddyThomas

Here here! We lost nothing but an old, stale, tired ride. And yes, I know what it meant to many people. I myself probably rode it a hundred times during the 90's heyday. But that was over 20 years ago. And it did NOT hold up with the younger generation. I took my 9 year old daughter on it last year for her first time and she said that it was the worst ride in all of WDW. The Stank Movie Ride we called it, still to this day. Good riddance.
Yeah well if your 9 year old says it, it must be true. LOL.

Colugino

I think the saddest part is the loss of the tribute to the great ones, Judy Garland, Bogart, Wayne, Cagney its now Hollywood Studios minus the Hollywood.

I have to agree 100%!!! Over the last few trips to DW, I felt the studios was loosing the "Studio" part. It started with 1/2 the backlot closing. Then shutting down the rest of the backlot. This last trip seeing the Great Movie Ride just sitting there silent was almost heartbreaking. I mean I think Toy Story and Star Wars are going to be great, but I personally feel like it's "just another park" now. :-(

Firepath

Weve lost a connection to some great actors and actresses. Its probably the only time a large section of the public would ever hear about a small portion of the great ones and the projects they undertook. Thankfully I've got a great collection of the old films and can revisit these gems anytime I want to. Its a major loss for everyone.
If not for TGMR I would never have sought out and watched Casablanca, Footlight Parade, or Singing in the Rain for the first time. Now Casablanca is one of my family's all time favorites. I doubt I'm the only one.

John park hopper

A few years ago, when they were taking down the giant Mickey's Sorcerers Hat, a Cast Member from the Great Movie Ride expressed his relief to me, that at least Disney was NOT closing the Great Movie Ride, adding that this closing was ONLY prevented because Disney got Turner TMC to "sponsor" the Attraction.... This is much of the sad truth involving decisions made about Attraction/Ride/Show operation.... If Disney can acquire Corporate Sponsorship to pay towards the costs of operation of these Attractions/Rides/Shows, then they will continue to be there... If not? Then their fate is on the chopping block. Remember the Diamond Horseshoe Review; sponsored by first Pepsie Cola, and then Delmonte Ketchup??? Then no corporate sponsor, and then no more Diamond Horseshoe.... Easter Airlines, If You Had Wings, then became Delta Dream Flight... then it was just closed for several years.... The World of Motion, turned into Test Track ONLY because GM decided it wanted a "fast moving" attraction.... And remember the Land presented by Kraft Foods??? The Kitchen Kaberet went out along with Kraft... need I go on? Once the money from the Sponsor stops rolling in to support the Attractions/Rides/Shows, then anything goes.... I am forced to ponder the question, what happens if the "Sponsorship" of the GUESTS stops rolling in to support the Attractions/Rides/Shows ??? I fear pretty much the same thing will happen. When you get right down to it, there are not that many Attractions at the Disney Hollywood Studios park to begin with.... Disney took away the Back Lot Tour with Catastrophe Canyon leaving a big empty spot.... now the Great Movie Ride.... maybe they can add some more Frozen to suffer through, or more Star Wars Storm Troopers walking around carrying weapons, acting like Nazi's, demanding to see "papers" from Guests, in an intimidating manner, as part of "the take over" promoting Star Wars coming soon. One must wonder who makes these decisions, but in the end, we all still love to go to Disney, as the Magic still lives on... even if we have to sometimes look for it covered by the dust from the construction of change.

With the kind of profits Disney pulls in every year why does Disney need corporate sponsers to keep these attractions going? Is the cost to operate so high or are they wanting to maximize profits. Just curious could never understand the whole sponsorship thing

Seabasealpha1

I think the saddest part is the loss of the tribute to the great ones, Judy Garland, Bogart, Wayne, Cagney its now Hollywood Studios minus the Hollywood.

I appreciate the tributes to the greats as much as anyone, but honestly, I'm not sure it's Disney's job to do that honoring...when I go to visit Disney parks, I'm all about the Disney History...

And I'm a fan of the Great Movie Ride. Don't get me wrong...I'll miss that attraction.

Also, if this IP buyout crap continues and Iger continues to shoehorn IP into places it doesn't belong, WDW is going to become Disney World without the Disney...

John park hopper

I appreciate the tributes to the greats as much as anyone, but honestly, I'm not sure it's Disney's job to do that honoring...when I go to visit Disney parks, I'm all about the Disney History...

And I'm a fan of the Great Movie Ride. Don't get me wrong...I'll miss that attraction.

Also, if this IP buyout crap continues and Iger continues to shoehorn IP into places it doesn't belong, WDW is going to become Disney World without the Disney...

I've had that feeling Disney is becoming less Disney and more an up scale Six Flags. Please tell me I am wrong

Seabasealpha1

I've had that feeling Disney is becoming less Disney and more an up scale Six Flags. Please tell me I am wrong
Honestly, I've just visited Disneyland in Anaheim for the first time...and the biggets take-away I got from it, was that if I want a higher "dose" of "pure-er" Disney, I won't get it in Florida... Walt's Spirit isn't there like it is in Anaheim...

I've actually picked up a weird new obsession with DL... So much that my next trip won't be to WDW... I just feel like DL is the Disney man's Disney Park... Florida (thanks to Iger and others) has become just too "Corporate".

And I hate to say that as my "home" is Orlando...

Shadowgate

I think the Great Movie obviously needed work but loosing it is a great loss. Then I though at least we would be getting a version with Mickey through time but that doesn't appear to be it either. All we get is a Mickey ride, which would be great as he does deserve his own ride BUT just not replacing the Great Movie ride. They should have just updated a few of the scenes to more current movies and updating it overall....

Goofyernmost

But, TGMR was on huge outside IP attraction. How can that one be so wonderful and any mention of any other reacted to like someone just insulted ones grandmother. And pray tell, how does Mickey Mouse not fit in a Disney Park? I'm confused! Pretty much fact that Disney didn't have that many "classic" films to display when GMR was built. Nothing really but fluff. Fun movies, but, not what the world would call classic. It would have been a pretty empty building if it relied strictly on Disney history at that time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom