With The great movie ride gone what have we lost?

KBLovedDisney

no one cared or talked about the Great Movie Ride until it was gone

Just because we don't talk about the other rides in the extent as we did GMR, doesn't mean we don't care about them.

IMHO, we just felt secure about GMR staying there for Disney-Life that we didn't think it was going to get taken away.

People would start talking about IASW, TTR, SpaceM, etc. if they were about to get canned. We just don't imagine that the Disney Co. would take away classics, but apparently, they can and will.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
We've lost one of the great long-form, grand scale, animatronic filled, scenic rides which I fear will never be designed and built ever again.
We've lost one of the great long-form, grand scale, animatronic filled, scenic rides which I fear will never be designed and built ever again.

Funny I had that exact conversation with my wife while we were watching hello dolly, a production on a scale that we will never see again. You can add Ben Hur, gone with the wind etc. now cgi would replace the backgrounds and extras that were used. The studio system had it flaws and abuses but they could put out a blockbuster like no one else today. They took care of their movies the way Walt took care of his parks, they cared.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Nothing, it was old and decaying. Had Disney refreshed it with new scenes and upgraded technology every five years or so then I could have gotten behind it but no. As I've said before, no one cared or talked about the Great Movie Ride until it was gone, which amuses me.

Doesn't that say more about Disney management than the ride itself? If you let your home rot and don't update or repair it who is really to blame?

John park hopper

I have posted this before Disney needs to strike a balance between the original classics and new attractions. People remember the classics be it from their first visit as a child or as adults. Children who grow up bring their children and the cycle continues. What criteria does Disney use to determine an attraction has outlived it's appeal-----cost to operate, volume of riders, cost to update??

rob0519

It is unfortunate that many of the actors from the 30s, 40s and 50s will be lost to coming generations. Even the TCM channel recently is showing less from that era. The GMR was a WDW classic it will be missed. I have many memories of riding it.

If the coming generations only exposure to movies of the 30s, 40s, and 50s was going to come from a 10 minute attraction at Disney World, 90% or more of those people would not have come to WDW anyway. Much like most education, it's up to the parents to expose the next generation to the classics.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
If the coming generations only exposure to movies of the 30s, 40s, and 50s was going to come from a 10 minute attraction at Disney World, 90% or more of those people would not have come to WDW anyway. Much like most education, it's up to the parents to expose the next generation to the classics.

My first exposure to classical music was from a 30 minute serial tv show called the Lone Ranger, I knew it was cool then I found out it was the William tell overture. It leed me to find more, one never knows where ones first inspiration will come from and where it will leed. and then there is just plan old respect and tribute to the great part of the arts. Maybe a kid rides the GMR for the first time and see a girl named Dorothy accompanied by some great music and sez, mommy who is that, what movie is this? And maybe just maybe it is the beginnings of something for her?

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

My first exposure to classical music was from a 30 minute serial tv show called the Lone Ranger, I knew it was cool then I found out it was the William tell overture. It leed me to find more, one never knows where ones first inspiration will come from and where it will leed.
I relate. TV and Movies were my first exposure to the classical greats. Parents cared so little about engrossing themselves into my life that they had no clue of my likes and dislikes, pretty much opposite of helicopter parents. They didn't help at all with my education. In fact, my dad discouraged me from going to college because he said I wasn't going to get anywhere.

I showed them :rolleyes:

The tv shows, movies, musicals, all of that is what got me started.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom