• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

Kman101

I think it will be a hit overall. It's a very "wow" type of show. Some of us here are just overly critical. Not that it's a bad thing but just how it is. I think the whole show is so well done and fantastic. So much to see from the projections to the fireworks. It's a fantastic show and showcases a lot of properties.

I'm a bit disappointed that some want the same old music used, but I do get it and understand. I also understand why some may not like the Happily Ever After song itself, but I find it to be a beautiful song if you look past the "pop-y" thing some seem to see as a negative. And the chorus singing at the end? That part is wonderful. I do get some not being as familiar with Hunchback or Go The Distance from Hercules but both songs are bigger than "knowing them" IMO. Go The Distance is one of the best parts and packs an emotional punch. Who cares if you don't "know" it?

Disney Analyst

Is it possible that some of us are not immature tweens but rather adults who can appreciate the artistic direction of converting the ironic "Love is an Open Door" into an acoustic ballad?

Let's be clear, Hallowishes was the first MK-style show to use contemporary versions of classic songs and it was the most-highly rated of the Wishes shows.

I have received word that the initial response from guests to Happily Ever After is terrific. Not that we should be surprised. And of course we should include the caveat that this is after two showings and the initial crowd for a new show likely has a bias.

Oh I love how they reworked Love is an Open Door. So simple and lovely! I felt like Trashing the Camp was almost jazzy.

ToTBellHop

I think it will be a hit overall. It's a very "wow" type of show. Some of us here are just overly critical. Not that it's a bad thing but just how it is. I think the whole show is so well done and fantastic. So much to see from the projections to the fireworks. It's a fantastic show and showcases a lot of properties.

I'm a bit disappointed that some want the same old music used, but I do get it and understand. I also understand why some may not like the Happily Ever After song itself, but I find it to be a beautiful song if you look past the "pop-y" thing some seem to see as a negative. And the chorus singing at the end? That part is wonderful. I do get some not being as familiar with Hunchback or Go The Distance from Hercules but both songs are bigger than "knowing them" IMO. Go The Distance is one of the best parts and packs an emotional punch. Who cares if you don't "know" it?
I also think it is a show that immediately speaks to some, but not all. I should think more people will come to appreciate it once they've seen it in person. As a comparison, if you watched the Star Wars fireworks online before seeing it in person, you can understand how much stronger your visceral reaction is to a show like this in person.

Personally, I think it looks jaw-dropping on my small screen so I can't wait to see it in person.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, I outlined the show with all the spoken words and sung lyrics with timing notes and listing all the characters and the IPs (that I could figure out).

It's in this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/deconstructing-happily-ever-after.927091/

So if you want to know the ratio of pop covers v. original songs, you can get the facts, Jack.

The second post has a list of videos.

ToTBellHop

Oh I love how they reworked Love is an Open Door. So simple and lovely! I felt like Trashing the Camp was almost jazzy.
There is a clear artistic style here and I applaud them for trying something new. That choice is sure to ruffle feathers of purists but for me, my strongest concern was that they would turn this into a Studios' firework show when I strongly feel Castle park shows should be primarily fireworks-driven. They didn't do that, so my concerns were misplaced. They gave us a fireworks show with awesome, new tech that focuses on Disney films. The same could have described Wishes in 2003.

Kman101

I also think it is a show that immediately speaks to some, but not all. I should think more people will come to appreciate it once they've seen it in person. As a comparison, if you watched the Star Wars fireworks online before seeing it in person, you can understand how much stronger your visceral reaction is to a show like this in person.

Personally, I think it looks jaw-dropping on my small screen so I can't wait to see it in person.

I agree. I was able to stream it on my TV and just on the small screen it looked incredible. I've re-watched it a few times since and enjoy it more and more. I cannot wait to see it in person and I'm someone who often skips the night fireworks and shows, usually once is enough for me. I'd make an effort to see this one anytime I'm at the MK at night. I LOVE Rivers of Light for what it is but I have to admit once or even twice is probably enough.

Lunair

Just watched this in person. The words I would choose to describe the experience would likely get me banned from this site for life. That was hands down the most incredible show I have ever seen in any Disney park. They combined all of the most impressive technical aspects of the last few night time shows in Hollywood Studios and perfected them for HEA. Videos do not do it justice by any stretch of the imagination. I thought I would miss Wishes, but I hope HEA is here to stay for several years to come.

GCTales

So, I outlined the show with all the spoken words and sung lyrics with timing notes and listing all the characters and the IPs (that I could figure out).

It's in this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/deconstructing-happily-ever-after.927091/

So if you want to know the ratio of pop covers v. original songs, you can get the facts, Jack.

The second post has a list of videos.
Wow did you put a lot of effort into it.

I will admit, I did not like it initially - and much of that was the disjointed feel I got watching the DPB live cast... With jumping between focusing on the castle projections then out for the fireworks, I never really got a feel for what the strobes or other lighting effects were accomplishing.

Seeing some of these other views has put a more complete "picture" together of the entire show.

brb1006

For me, Wishes was more along those lines than HEA.

I really hate it when Disney pours on the syrup with children singing about dreams, magic, and wishes. Much prefer to have a show just based around the songs from the movies which almost always pack more of a punch than the stuff that's written specifically for these extravaganzas.

I was wondering whether this might not be smart considering that the generation that grew up on those films is now having their own children and getting to the stage of taking their first family WDW trips. I'm not much into Disney apparel, but I do have a t-shirt that just has the symbol from Hercules' medal from the film on the front and I almost never wear it when I go to the US as I get kind of tired of people recognising & commenting on it. So, perhaps it is a generational thing?
The only time Disney using children choir perfectly was during the Spectromagic finale and Share A Dream Come True Parade.

brb1006

Its starts with Brass fanfare and ends with a mass choir! Literally.

HEA is very much Orchestra oriented with Brass and strings heading it... complete with choral singers. For good ness sake it has a full on mass choir in it! Look at the entire 4 minute video, not just this tease.... those "teens" whom are 23 and 24 respectively, are being lead by a full orchestra of strings, brass, and no drum line. Why just because a song is upbeat, would it be consider pop? It is clearly an orchestra, even if you couldn't see it, you can hear it, and it is way different then a pop band.

I get that Jordan Fisher had a minor role in both teen beach movies, but that does not make HEA's theme a Disney Channel Catalog default.
I think the "Disney Channel Catalog" should belong to Paint The Night

freediverdude

That's what seems odd. Hunchback? Hercules? That stuff is 20 years old and not particularly classic. Surprised it's not Atlantis and Treasure Island too. Seems like they're trying to appeal to a certain age group, one that probably currently is just having toddlers of their own.

I hope there's some actual classic Disney in there. And there better not be any Kim Possible or Phineas & Ferb.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom