Wishes replacement

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm gonna be the sappy one here, but Wishes is always the peaking moment of my trips. I get choked up every time I see it and when I have a down day I just turn on the CD.
That being said, if they create anything half as good as Wishes, I would probably be on board. But they have to do it right.
I'd settle for Summer Nightastic coming back!

prberk

I personally thought that "Wishes" went just a little too far toward story and away from magnificent fireworks show for my taste. I enjoyed the feel and effervescent enthusiasm of "Fantasy in the Sky" a little better.

Disney has such a fine roster of stories, characters, and music that cross generations, almost more than for any other entertainment company, that it seems like they could regularly refresh the show. And I believe that there is no better plance than "the fireworks show at Disney World" to make a brilliant, fiery, enthusiastic, inspiring show truly for the whole family. It's a great cap to the day, and especially to a family vacation, but it also has deep roots among the generations. The image is instilled in our minds from television... again, something shared among multiple generations.

I say, make (and refresh regularly) a brilliant, wonderful fireworks show that both integrates modern technology and score elements, but also beautifully and faithfully celebrates the classic Disney themes ("When You Wish Upon a Star," etc.) for every generation. Refresh it regularly, but keep it classic in overall approach.

Last edited:

Monorail_Orange

Wishes is a good show, even with the Disney Studio Choir. I do think, and agree with Martin and others, what is needed is plussing of Wishes, RoE, and especially Fantasmic! I am completely biased on F!, it is still my favorite even after all these years, and would be crushed to see it extinguished, but please, if Burbank would force-feed TDO at least DL's upgrades, (and maybe some additional new enhancements) it would truly show Disney is still the king of showmanship.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I personally thought that "Wishes" went just a little too far toward story and away from magnificent fireworks show for my taste. I enjoyed the feel and effervescent enthusiasm of "Fantasy in the Sky" a little better.
Indeed. Both formats are brilliant but I do miss a full on fireworks show.

Disneyland had the game changing Believe...in Magic which amongst other firsts had a narration. Its wild success spurred an east coast version that eventually became Wishes. If anything, Remember was a fine balance of both where the narration was replaced by ride quotes and the storyline was a broad tour of the park.

Every main show that has followed has used the tried and tested formula of a story. FitS at New Years can be a welcome return to the traditional show even if it is plussed from the 2002 namesake.

Last edited:

prberk

Once Wishes is replaced, I think it would be cool if it took Fantasy in the Sky's place on New Year's Eve. They could add whatever upgrades the new show has to Wishes, like they did with Fantasy.

I think you miss the point of doing "Fantasy in the Sky" on New Year's Eve: They do that because it is a real, straight-up fireworks show, which you would expect for New Year's Eve, as opposed to a story-heavy show. It's a night suited more for celebration and revelry, not so much a dramatic tale of good and evil characters set to pyrotechnics.

Incidentally, I might note that they used to return to an independence day version of "Fantasy in the Sky" for July 4, before replacing it with a new Independence Day show, which IMO was back toward story again -- although musical --and not quite the right move for July 4. The new one, while patriotic still, is a little to moody in its music, where, like on New Year's, it should be over-the-top celebratory and full of revelry. A straight-on fireworks show with amazing musical accompaniment of a patriotic nature. (We are talking Walt Disney's Main Street, USA, for goodness sake. Where else to have the quintessential -- if not stylized -- American Independence Day fireworks show?)

Last edited:

SpectroMan93

I think you miss the point of doing "Fantasy in the Sky" on New Year's Eve: They do that because it is a real, straight-up fireworks show, which you would expect for New Year's Eve, as opposed to a story-heavy show. It's a night suited more for celebration and revelry, not so much a dramatic tale of good and evil characters set to pyrotechnics.

Incidentally, I might note that they used to return to an independence day version of "Fantasy in the Sky" for July 4, before replacing it with a new Independence Day show, which IMO was back toward story again -- although musical --and not quite the right move for July 4. The new one, while patriotic still, is a little to moody in its music, where, like on New Year's, it should be over-the-top celebratory and full of revelry. A straight-on fireworks show with amazing musical accompaniment of a patriotic nature. (We are talking Walt Disney's Main Street, USA, for goodness sake. Where else to have the quintessential -- if not stylized -- American Independence Day fireworks show?)
I know it's only my personal preference, but I love the story-driven fireworks show they use for Independence Day. You can find over-the-top and revelry at many other locations across the US on July 4th (for a lot cheaper might I add), but Disney really brings out the emotional resonance of the holiday in the current show. When the last couple lines of the national anthem are sung in the finale, I've never been filled with so much emotion watching a fireworks show. I think over-the-top is awesome to watch, but I don't think story-driven is wrong. The ability to pull at your heart strings as powder blows up in the skies or as fountains dance across the water; it's what separates Disney's fireworks and nighttime shows from other companies.

prberk

I know it's only my personal preference, but I love the story-driven fireworks show they use for Independence Day. You can find over-the-top and revelry at many other locations across the US on July 4th (for a lot cheaper might I add), but Disney really brings out the emotional resonance of the holiday in the current show. When the last couple lines of the national anthem are sung in the finale, I've never been filled with so much emotion watching a fireworks show. I think over-the-top is awesome to watch, but I don't think story-driven is wrong. The ability to pull at your heart strings as powder blows up in the skies or as fountains dance across the water; it's what separates Disney's fireworks and nighttime shows from other companies.

I can appreciate that.

I guess I just thought part of last year's edition was just a little too moody for my taste. I don't mind some story to the fireworks show, but especially on Independence Day I look for the story to be pretty much supporting the "revelry" of the holiday. In Richmond we have the symphony accompanying the celebration at a large park with a WWI memorial carillon that actually plays during the celebration. (We are one of the few places in the country that actually plays the "1812 Overture" the way it was written: with a symphony, canonfire, and carillon bells.)

I do agree that Disney's specialty is orchestrating many elements together. I especially appreciate that they have synchronized the sound and calculated space and allowed for the speed of sound so well that echoing is almost gone within the MK.

So, I appreciate what you are saying, and I did like the show, just not so much in the beginning when some of the narraction seemed slow. I just really like the opportunity to see the July 4 show on Main Street, USA. A good mix of some narration with a really over the top July 4 show is probably what I would want.

Last edited:

SpectroMan93

I can appreciate that.

I guess I just thought part of last year's edition was just a little too moody for my taste. I don't mind some story to the fireworks show, but especially on Independence Day I look for the story to be pretty much supporting the "revelry" of the holiday. In Richmond we have the symphony accompanying the celebration at a large park with a WWI memorial carillon that actually plays during the celebration. (We are one of the few places in the country that actually places the "1812 Overture" the way it was written: with a symphony, canonfire, and carillon bells.)

I do agree that Disney's specialty is orchestrating many elements together. I especially appreciate that they have synchronized the sound and calculated space and allowed for the speed of sound so well that echoing is almost gone within the MK.

So, I appreciate what you are saying, and I did like the show, just not so much in the beginning when some of the narraction seemed slow. I just really like the opportunity to see the July 4 show on Main Street, USA. A good mix of some narration with a really over the top July 4 show is probably what I would want.
I know what you mean, we do the same thing here with the Houston Symphony on July 4th, and it's a really awesome experience.

TEAM Dasia

2 years ago somebody posted in here that after Festival of Fantasy parade,
Dreams Come Alive nighttime spectacular might come in 2016.
And When i Asked Steve Davison Facabook page about the Festival of Fantasy and ROE and Dreams Come alive rumors 3 years ago he denied the rumor and now its all here Festival of Fantasy Parade is here.
So time will tell when Dreams Come Alive spectacular might come to Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

boo52

Disneyland had the game changing Believe...in Magic which amongst other firsts had a narration. Its wild success spurred an east coast version that eventually became Wishes.
Sorcery was the one that set the precedence for the format that the castle parks use today for fireworks.

lifeguard1020

I'm confused why so many people think 10 years for Wishes is a long time. Fantasy in the Sky went on for like 30 years. I know there were some changes as it went on, but from what I remember it was pretty much the same show. And it was great...huge, high, loud fireworks that you could watch the whole show from the beach at the Polynesian. I sat there so many gets when I was younger and watched the show over and over. Personally, and I'll probably get a lot of flack for this but,I find Wishes kinda boring. Stand there and watch one firework be launched diagonally from the rooftop. (That idea is cool, but I think done better when it was at the studios) then you wait and listen to a character talk for 10-15 seconds enforce the next shot. I just stand there with my shoulders hanging low knowing it's going to be a pain to get out of the park...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sorcery was the one that set the precedence for the format that the castle parks use today for fireworks.
Oh indeed. I'm surprised park and remote launch wasn't duplicated quicker. It took what.... 9 years?

Seeing those comets fly off the GMR roof in 1990, seemingly so close you could touch them, is a main reason I still rank SitS as my favourite.

Jose

Original Poster
2 years ago somebody posted in here that after Festival of Fantasy parade,
Dreams Come Alive nighttime spectacular might come in 2016.
And When i Asked Steve Davison Facabook page about the Festival of Fantasy and ROE and Dreams Come alive rumors 3 years ago he denied the rumor and now its all here Festival of Fantasy Parade is here.
So time will tell when Dreams Come Alive spectacular might come to Magic Kingdom.
well, it makes sense. he's now working on DL 60th fireworks, 2015 is free for Steve, since then he could develop new things...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

However, it would be nice to change it up and add different fireworks during the year, like done with Halloween, 4th of July, Christmas, New Years. A special one for Summer, Easter, Spring, St. Patty's Day, etc. But make them awesome. Like the SW fireworks - fantastic fireworks well themed to the music. The BEST I've seen at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom