Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Sir_Cliff

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like "This Wish" (along with "The Kingdom of Rosas"). Overall, I prefer the music of Wish to that of Encanto.
Fair enough, though I must say that I thought the songs from Encanto were probably without exception excellent. For me, it's one of the better Disney soundtracks.

Again, this is not to discount anyone liking the soundtrack, but going back to the Las Culturistas podcast, I do think Matt Rogers' instincts were ultimately correct about the songs in that none of them really caught on. For me, the songs are a little like the film in general: not bad as such, they just fell a bit flat.

LittleBuford

Fair enough, though I must say that I thought the songs from Encanto were probably without exception excellent. For me, it's one of the better Disney soundtracks.

Again, this is not to discount anyone liking the soundtrack, but going back to the Las Culturistas podcast, I do think Matt Rogers' instincts were ultimately correct about the songs in that none of them really caught on. For me, the songs are a little like the film in general: not bad as such, they just fell a bit flat.
I honestly feel that if the film had done well, at least a couple of the songs would have caught on. “This Wish” is melodically very strong and engaging, even if some take issue with the lyrics. It deserved to do better than it has.

TsWade2

I honestly feel that if the film had done well, at least a couple of the songs would have caught on. “This Wish” is melodically very strong and engaging, even if some take issue with the lyrics. It deserved to do better than it has.
I agree. I think This Wish is a great song, but I'm kind of glad it didn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Song, because I have a bad feeling that a stupid Barbie movie is going to win it.

Also, something else I've seen brought up is how if anyone was going to lead the song, or pick up where Asha leaves off, it should have been Sabino

OMG that's so obvious now that you say that. It definitely should have been Sabino after they foreshadowed the heck out of that only for it to come back inconsequentially.

Farerb

I think both Wish's and Encanto's songs are mediocre (except maybe Bruno). I much prefer when Disney went big with their musicals like Beauty and the Beast or Hunchback. Overall the 90s movies had better music, everything they make today seems to be designed for radio and TikTok. I don't care for that.

LittleBuford

I think both Wish's and Encanto's songs are mediocre (except maybe Bruno). I much prefer when Disney went big with their musicals like Beauty and the Beast or Hunchback. Overall the 90s movies had better music, everything they make today seems to be designed for radio and TikTok. I don't care for that.
To my ears, “This Wish” sounds very much like a song for a Disney musical rather than something designed for the radio. I’m sad it won’t enter the repertoire for park shows, as it would have made a great soundtrack for fireworks.

Eric Graham

I almost bought the art of this movie, and I've never seen this movie before. I just really liked the characters from what I've seen. I collect a lot of the Art of movies when Disney brings and animated movie out. Do you all know when this movie is coming out on Disney+

BrianLo

To my ears, “This Wish” sounds very much like a song for a Disney musical rather than something designed for the radio. I’m sad it won’t enter the repertoire for park shows, as it would have made a great soundtrack for fireworks.

I don't know if I'd make that assumption. It likely won't be a corporately mandated song (unless D+ brings miracles), but it seems like some of what they use is just what the show designers like. Otherwise I doubt we'd have so much random Hercules representation all of a sudden.

Now a float, it likely will never get a float. Those seem to be very popularity mandated.

LittleBuford

I don't know if I'd make that assumption. It likely won't be a corporately mandated song (unless D+ brings miracles), but it seems like some of what they use is just what the show designers like. Otherwise I doubt we'd have so much random Hercules representation all of a sudden.

Now a float, it likely will never get a float. Those seem to be very popularity mandated.
Unless it performs miracles on Disney+, I really think Disney is going to bury the film and use nothing from it. Hercules may not have been a smash hit, but it has a solid reputation and is now something of a cult classic among fans. Wish, however, has had the most inauspicious start possible, and I’m not convinced it can claw its way back from that.

BrianLo

Unless it performs miracles on Disney+, I really think Disney is going to bury the film and use nothing from it. Hercules may not have been a smash hit, but it has a solid reputation and is now something of a cult classic among fans. Wish, however, has had the most inauspicious start possible, and I’m not convinced it can claw its way back from that.

Fair enough. The one other small wrinkle +/- is the Princess lineup, if she's added.

Strange World is forever buried. But I think Wish still has two escape routes left.

Miss Rori

OMG that's so obvious now that you say that. It definitely should have been Sabino after they foreshadowed the heck out of that only for it to come back inconsequentially.
It's amazing how Sabino getting his wish granted/returned is supposed to be so important that Asha ends up risking the whole kingdom, yet his onscreen solo ("A Wish Worth Making") was cut at the 11th hour after being fully animated (and there's never been a reason given as to why), he and Sakina are just there in the third act, and the payoff to his story is a post-credits gag that, presumably, most people didn't stick around for. Way to develop stakes! (And it just makes it easier to ponder why he was so lazy as to not work on his music in the first place rather than give up his wish to Magnifico.)

Miss Rori

I almost bought the art of this movie, and I've never seen this movie before. I just really liked the characters from what I've seen. I collect a lot of the Art of movies when Disney brings and animated movie out. Do you all know when this movie is coming out on Disney+
No, Disney has been kicking that can down the road thus far, so it won't be by the end of this month. Maybe April.

Sir_Cliff

Fair enough. The one other small wrinkle +/- is the Princess lineup, if she's added.

Strange World is forever buried. But I think Wish still has two escape routes left.
I am kind of curious to see what life this film has over the longer term, particularly as it's proved quite polarising in the shorter term over whether it deserved better. The two escape routes you mention seem reasonable possibilities to me, particularly if the feelings of those who felt the initial response to the film were not reflective of its quality end up being more widely shared once it goes onto streaming. I would also note that there are Wish references already at the revamped Disneyland Hotel in Paris which has a princess theme, so that could suggest that it will at least be in contention for inclusion when princess themes are considered in the future.

Tha Realest

I am kind of curious to see what life this film has over the longer term, particularly as it's proved quite polarising in the shorter term over whether it deserved better. The two escape routes you mention seem reasonable possibilities to me, particularly if the feelings of those who felt the initial response to the film were not reflective of its quality end up being more widely shared once it goes onto streaming. I would also note that there are Wish references already at the revamped Disneyland Hotel in Paris which has a princess theme, so that could suggest that it will at least be in contention for inclusion when princess themes are considered in the future.
We’ll also see pretty quickly in the short term whether it gets a second life on D+ (eg Encanto) or has views like a roadside car wreck (most of what came out last year other than Elemental)

BuddyThomas

I agree. I think This Wish is a great song, but I'm kind of glad it didn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Song, because I have a bad feeling that a stupid Barbie movie is going to win it.
Well, I would not have minded if Wish got a nomination for Best Song. It could have replaced that ridiculous Diane Warren nomination for The Fire Inside song (from a movie about Doritos- seriously). However, I disagree that Barbie was “stupid”. It is a 100% lock for an Oscar win for “What Was I Made For?”. In my opinion, Dua Lipa’s “Dance the Night” should also have been nominated, and I wouldn’t have minded a nomination for “Wild Uncharted Waters” from The Little Mermaid. Unfortunately, there are only 5 spaces, so some worthy contenders always miss out.

Miss Rori

I am kind of curious to see what life this film has over the longer term, particularly as it's proved quite polarising in the shorter term over whether it deserved better. The two escape routes you mention seem reasonable possibilities to me, particularly if the feelings of those who felt the initial response to the film were not reflective of its quality end up being more widely shared once it goes onto streaming.
I think it would be odd to add Asha to the Princess lineup, and not just because the art book explicitly points out she's not a princess (or even a chief's daughter, thank you Maui!) but an ordinary person who makes good. There's the fact that the movie already has some royal characters in it like Queen Amaya and it would be weird to act like she's an adopted daughter or something! The one non-princess princess I can think of offhand is Mulan, and that was largely so there could be a non-white character in the line who was more recognizable than Pocahontas. There's already an official black princess with Tiana so Asha wouldn't add anything new. It's like how Mirabel's wildly popular but hasn't been added to the line.

As for Disney+...so far the digital rental/purchase release hasn't boosted the film's reputation - if anything, it's made it even easier for snarky animation fans to break down in good faith where they feel the movie goes wrong. (Slowly but surely, "This reads like a recipe book for the foul and the savage" is joining the ranks of lines/lyrics that have people questioning whether or not this was actually AI at work. And boy, maybe one out of ten viewers thinks Valentino is funny.) I suspect that the people interested enough not to wait for Disney+, assuming they subscribe to it, and use other legal routes are going to be more demanding than the parents who need something fresh to keep their kids occupied on a rainy day. It will be interesting to see how well the hard copy releases sell starting next week. And I really think Disney should have just bit the bullet and brought out the streaming release sooner, when it was fresher in families' minds.

Eric Graham

I haven't seen the movie, but I have a very sweet and wonderful dog. It totally hooked me because who wouldn't want their pet (my best friend and partner in crime my dog of course) to be able to talk to you. That would be so wonderfull!

Advisable Joseph

For context, neither Migration nor Trolls Band Together is out on US subscription streaming (Peacock or Netflix), and I couldn't find any announcement of when that would happen for either movie. I think the industry is trying to expand the digital video/disc "window" of time before subscription streaming.

Speaking of streaming, I think Wish only has to do normal numbers on Disney+ for animated musicals. It only seems like it needs a miracle since it bled box office to Trolls, and adults, maybe teens, especially women, were very vocal about not liking it online.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom